Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 Details Announced

Tom Gallagher

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Yeah, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Dr. Who all died falling on the same sword. One base for optimism though is that pony has much less leeway for the woke treatment, being a show intended for little kids that does not take place in a world anything like ours. I'm fully rooting for this state of unease in the fandom right now to be the next Alicorn Twilight/EQG drama, where it turned out to be much ado about nothing, but worst comes to worst, we always have our AUs and our own fan content. :kirin:

Hrm, you'll have to b'aww in dissapointment. First off, because this bastard of a continuation is NOT FiM. Is something apart. The bronies (true bronies, the g4 adult fanbase from before 2012) will continue on without minding this thing, looking at it as a cash grab, mocking it for being bellow the quality of the core show and continue on with their life. We did it with pony life, we will do so with this thing. You see, we won't care because is not changing the core show that we care about. Is the GT to our DBZ, if you will. Forgettable at best. The actual fandom will remain doing its thing far from these mainstream places as we still do. We might just have to disown the fans from the next show. Draw a line and don't mix ourselves with them.

Of course, it saddens us to know this was a missed chance. This thing was born dead, lol

9 hours ago, Booker said:

As long as it's decent CGI, I'm still trying to remain optimistic. But if it ends up being that cheap 3D garbage that's plagued TV animation for the past few years, then G5 is gonna be terrible, no matter how good the writing may be.

There's only a handful of series that 3D works for, and MLP isn't one of them. I don't care if Flash is cheap; it worked, didn't it? If not that, then let's hope ToonBoom is a done deal.

4 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Hrm, you'll have to b'aww in dissapointment. First off, because this bastard of a continuation is NOT FiM. Is something apart. The bronies (true bronies, the g4 adult fanbase from before 2012) will continue on without minding this thing, looking at it as a cash grab, mocking it for being bellow the quality of the core show and continue on with their life. We did it with pony life, we will do so with this thing. You see, we won't care because is not changing the core show that we care about. Is the GT to our DBZ, if you will. Forgettable at best. The actual fandom will remain doing its thing far from these mainstream places as we still do. We might just have to disown the fans from the next show. Draw a line and don't mix ourselves with them.

Of course, it saddens us to know this was a missed chance. This thing was born dead, lol

I just might surprise you and actually enjoy it like I actually enjoy Pony Life. :P Keep in mind we're only getting this from one news article so far. And I do not trust the news. ^_^

But yeah, with every form of media now being susceptible to you-know-what, I will not be shocked. It will be separate from FiM to me, I'll move on. :Tempest:

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like it could be interesting, but as usual for me, the one thing I feel weird about is the fact that it's going to be future Equestria. I have a sore spot with the whole seeing futures of established characters thing.  Knowing what happens to others, not continuing with the events of said characters, seeing characters older... I felt that The Last Problem felt more like a glimpse at a future and not a new starting point, and that the Season 10 comics would be a more proper continuation. But even though I know nothing about what's going to be happening, I just have this weird sense of dread. The imagining of distant futures thing was always somewhat of an OCD bother for me. (did you know that I felt iffy about one of the issues of the Pony manga because it dealt with a pony from the future) I remember seeing an image that was used in a fanfiction, about a pony seeing a stained glass or something of the Mane 6, as if they were ancient myth and it was the future. I didn't like that, and it made me feel weird, but I told myself it's just a fanfic art, so don't dwell on it.

I know that there's barely any info out, but now that that might actually be the direction they're going? It just gives me a worried feeling in my chest for those reasons.

(Although, I quite love Chrono Trigger, and that goes all over the place. I just don't want to have to dwell on what happens to all the ponies I love.)

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

My god such a pessimistic view before even seeing an ounce of footage from the upcoming movie and cartoon.

why can’t you wait and see with G5 and have the same open minded view you had when going into FiM?

• Brohoof 1

I hope the neigh sayers eat their words hehehe... Usually they do. 

Im pretty sure their 3d will be the same as the one in the movies... Mlp fim movie... And the other one....

1 hour ago, BoopMan said:

My god such a pessimistic view before even seeing an ounce of footage from the upcoming movie and cartoon.

why can’t you wait and see with G5 and have the same open minded view you had when going into FiM?

Haters gonna hate... Also they help spread the word... Thus why fim got famous...

Pony life wouldn't have gotten much love and views if the haters would've just shut up about it.... The second movie ish... The ova... Had little and no love because there was sooo little hate given to it that the word wasn't spread.....

2 hours ago, BoopMan said:

Pessimistic? No no no no no. Is called an educated guess. I'm just using my common sense aided by previous experiences to predict an outcome.

• Brohoof 3

As long as G5 avoids hot-button topics like FiM mostly did, it should be in good hands. I'll have to wait until we see more of the main character's "activist" qualities before I can make a full analysis. Here's hoping they're careful with the protagonist's traits, because I don't sympathize with one who is too preachy.

I don't mind the themes of diversity and inclusion, but both concepts have already been done in such a way that neither can hardly be considered new. G4 did this in the later seasons with the School of Friendship, and before that they've had other beings such as dragons and griffons as main and/or rising characters. I myself didn't mind the Student Six, but some of their storylines were a mixed bag and they took away focus from other members of the cast. Diversity should be focused more about the quality of the characters, not necessarily the appearance.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Yoshi89 said:

I don't mind the themes of diversity and inclusion, but both concepts have already been done in such a way that neither can hardly be considered new. G4 did this in the later seasons with the School of Friendship, and before that they've had other beings such as dragons and griffons as main and/or rising characters.

There's another problem with setting it in the future of the G4 universe: "The Last Problem" showed us an Equestria that already had a healthy amount of diversity and inclusion. Doing anything that would be relatable to real-world race relations issues would require having them take a colossal step backwards in that department - a major bummer for G4 fans of all ages.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

There's another problem with setting it in the future of the G4 universe: "The Last Problem" showed us an Equestria that already had a healthy amount of diversity and inclusion. Doing anything that would be relatable to real-world race relations issues would require having them take a colossal step backwards in that department - a major bummer for G4 fans of all ages.

You're mighty right good sir. If only all people could be as observative as yourself, there would be no debate on this. This whole g5 thing is a flipped bird to the current lore of the show.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

I don't want to see real-word race relations and that sort of stuff. I watch the show to escape that crap in our world, you know? If its all about activism and all that, then I'm not watching it.

• Brohoof 5

Overall I'm not happy with this. The early leaks for gen 5 left me very optimistic. It felt like they were going to make the series Faust originally wanted to make. But as we all know things can change drastically during production. And this seems to be one of those cases. 

The character change may be pleasing to some but from a marketing perspective it's rather baffling. For example look at transformers. Every generation features Optimus prime, Megatron, Starscream, etc. Why? Because they're highly iconic. Ask any random person on the street and they can probably name at least a few of the transformers without ever having seen any transformers media. Contrast that to my little pony. Prior to generation 4 MLP was nothing more than the butt of a joke. The only people it really had value for was young girls. If you asked an average bystander prior to 2012 to name any of the ponies they probably couldn't answer you. Post 2012 however (when the franchise gained respect among the public) people can probably name Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle. Switching over to a whole new cast of characters like that seems like a bad move considering the fact that it won't conjure up the same feeling among the many of us who were formerly big fans of it.

In fact connecting it to the generation 4 universe seems like a bad idea in general. It's alienating to newer and even older audiences. Do they really expect people to catch up on over 200 episodes of generation four to get some references? I think they're expecting a bit too much (and that's putting it lightly). Plus it also poses the threat of making the universe too convoluted. A problem suffered notably by the bionicle franchise. Unless you were into bionicle prior to 2005 it required a lot of dedication to understand the basic story. They're towing a fine line by connecting it to generation 4. They should have just started from scratch in order to bring in the maximum number of both old and new fans. 

Then there is of course the "diversity and inclusion" line. This is once again a recipe for disaster. Who exactly they're trying to appeal to with this is a mystery to me. The social activist is not the type of person who is going to consume this product. Most older fans do not fall into that category and neither will the younger fans. This comes off to me as an attempt to stir up controversy. The people making this know that it will get attention from the backlash they will inevitably generate and (by extension) the backlash to the backlash. Not only that but doing this is also a gamble. If you think that the current online culture war is going to last forever then I think you're very naive. People do move on from things and eventually, at some point, the current paradigm will dissipate. Possibly due to people just getting bored or a wider cultural shift in opposition to social media. By pinning themselves to this they're effectively gambling with their property on something that could easily disappear. And when that happens they'll be left with nothing. 

The article overall indicates a very cold and calculated approach to this new iteration. This is in stark contrast to Faust who was given relative freedom to craft something on her own. With lines like  “Generation Alpha has a higher emotional intelligence, and they expect a lot more from their entertainment. We know it’s important to Gen Alpha that they see their peer groups represented in their entertainment, and that shaped how we built our core cast.” (these people are children?) it shows that hasbro based this entire franchise off of marketing surveys. This is the worst possible thing they could do. Instead of being its own thing Hasbro has decided that they need to adapt MLP to what they think it's audience likes. As we all know (see G3) that usually never makes for good, memorable content that can hold the interest of its target demographic. 

Overall this has shattered any optimism I had in this series. I'll most likely still watch the film but my expectations have been drastically lowered. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-01-30 at 9:59 AM, Kyoshi said:

Sadly, even it is handled well, we all know this fandom will despise any kind of inclusion and proclaim it as "woke" and "propaganda". Even something as simple as acknowledgement can piss people off and we know how a decent chunk of this fandom operates. Not to mention bigoted parents.

I can understand those people. Shows where "modern" theme is the main one tend to just throw it in your face - "Hey! Hey! Look, this character is different!". And this is really annoying. Creators should make things look natural, not force them on viewers

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I still come back to is Hasbro is a toy company. The main part of concern kinda kills half the US and Canadian market...so...

Did Hasbro leadership change recently? I mean up until now they have been reasonably neutral throughout this mess, to avoiding the issues of today all together with this franchise. 

On 2021-01-29 at 4:26 PM, Califorum said:

To be entirely honest I didn't really care that much else for the other races in mlp. They were just...okay, not particularly interesting to me.

I know the show is called My Little Pony but we got to give some respect to the rest of the races in the world. 

Wow lots of opinions.... Which everyone knows doesn't really matter XD. 

Originally In everyones opinion mlp is for girls.... Look what happened to gen 4...

Lets see what gen 5 will do...who knows.... Another miracle will happen.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-01-30 at 5:32 PM, LyraLover said:

Wow... I have ZERO interest in this. :dry: It sounds like it's going to have all of the same problems as season 8 and 9, only even worse. They should have left the FiM universe behind after season 7, and not prioritize politics over storytelling.

Okay, I was definitely overreacting a bit here (I wasn't having a great day on January 30th), but I really hope they don't go the same direction they went with the last two seasons of FiM.

• Brohoof 3