Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you want & don't want in G5!

Props Valroa

What do you want out of G5? What do you want to see, and what don't you want to see?

As for me I wanted to see a complete blank slate or see redesigned versions of the Mane 6 and other characters. I want to see more worldbuilding, history, character building and interactions between various characters and the avoidance of the mistakes made in G4.

I don't want to see forced diversity, political themes, school of friendship, student six, or for them to ruin the characters themselves, etc. 

• Brohoof 10

I don't want ties to S6-9's bullshit. If I see giraffe Twilight or Frogman Spike or Haber's OC anywhere I'll drop it like a hot potato

On that tangent, I don't want to see Josh Haber involved with Pony ever again. If I see his name in the credits, even as a Special Thanks, I'm out

• Brohoof 2

I don’t want hipster woke freak politics in FIM. Like it’s done with Velma recently, or so I’ve heard. If they want to do so, fine, but keep it within your new characters :dry:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, Megas said:

I don't want ties to S6-9's bullshit. If I see giraffe Twilight or Frogman Spike or Haber's OC anywhere I'll drop it like a hot potato

This. As much as I enjoyed some episodes from those seasons, in general, they've shown that more is not necessarily better. If we're going for the same universe, wouldn't it make sense to pare it down a skosh? 

• Brohoof 2

I want diversity and inclusion! :squee:

That isn't corporate. ;) 

Disregarding what's already been beaten into the ground, I want a bigger focus on the development of the new cast in a new world with original plots. For the love of Celestia, I don't want them repeating the same mistake Star Wars made with just rehashing the same plots from the original movies for stale, overpowered characters that don't actually mature or develop. More than anything, I do not want them to just recycle G4, I want G5 to actually have a reason to be made. :Thorax:

• Brohoof 9

I would like the show to focus on background characters once in a while as a way to flesh out the pony universe. 

I would not like repetitive characters like the Flimflam Brothers who repeat the same type of story over and over again. 

• Brohoof 8

To be enjoyable, primarily.

And to do the whole future Equestria thing without giving me negative feels about time and G4 and the sort.

7 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

Different characters but within the G4 lore and framework. 

I want a Better Call Saul type evolution. 

@abrony-mouse

This would do pretty good.

Edited by Toastypk

what i'd look forward to:

1) having the toys still being one of the main focuses but not. yknow. bad. id love to have the toys resemble the g1 counterparts in terms of size and correct anatomy. g1 toys stayed very true to their show counterparts and its rare to see them go off-model unlike g4 (brush able) toys that constantly go off model and look horrid at times. i know not everyone cares about the toys but as someone whos a collector it would be nice to have a more appealing line than what g4 gave us.
2) hopefully this thread doesnt get locked for me mentioning this but i'd honestly really like to see more diversity. g4's diversity was done a bit rough imo? it wasnt bad it was just not really consistent. i obviously dont want it to be overly girlboss woke or whatever i hate when that becomes the main selling point. but it would be nice to see more open LGBT characters or more race-coded characters.
3) more stallions in the series. this could just be my bias cause idk i just always tend to like guy characters more (not romantic i just legit am better to relate to male characters in media more). i mean g4 had stallions obviously that played their own role but it wasn't anything special? i think staff have already discussed the idea of stallions being in the mane6.7?10?? not sure how big the main cast is gonna be this time. usually in older generations it was always 7. 
4) i really hope the mane cast will be inspired by older generations like how g4's cast was. i always thought it was so cool seeing the evolution of ponies through out the generations they were re-introduced in.
5) praying to god they make new lore and dont just churn out the same concepts g4 already made.

what i wouldn't like to see:

1) overdoing of trying to tie in g4 and g5. im not a fan of them trying to connect these at all and i wish it was gonna be its own thing but they talk about wanting to do this A LOT. i know its to help the mourning of bronies losing their favorite horse waifus by referencing through out the new generation but im not looking forward to it.
2) starlight glimmer
3) overly cartoony designs. while i obviously love MLP:FIM it would be nice to see g5 designs be a bit more horse like in terms of showing hoof-fur or having the anatomy be a bit more correct to real horses/ponies like in the earlier generations. (mostly speaking in case of the g1 pilot movie's artstyle anatomy. compared to the g1 series it was much better and cleaner in design and the combination of both semi realism and cartoon)

(sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes it is 3 am and i am out of it)

5 minutes ago, 75ponii said:

what i'd look forward to:

1) having the toys still being one of the main focuses but not. yknow. bad. id love to have the toys resemble the g1 counterparts in terms of size and correct anatomy. g1 toys stayed very true to their show counterparts and its rare to see them go off-model unlike g4 (brush able) toys that constantly go off model and look horrid at times. i know not everyone cares about the toys but as someone whos a collector it would be nice to have a more appealing line than what g4 gave us.
2) hopefully this thread doesnt get locked for me mentioning this but i'd honestly really like to see more diversity. g4's diversity was done a bit rough imo? it wasnt bad it was just not really consistent. i obviously dont want it to be overly girlboss woke or whatever i hate when that becomes the main selling point. but it would be nice to see more open LGBT characters or more race-coded characters.
3) more stallions in the series. this could just be my bias cause idk i just always tend to like guy characters more (not romantic i just legit am better to relate to male characters in media more). i mean g4 had stallions obviously that played their own role but it wasn't anything special? i think staff have already discussed the idea of stallions being in the mane6.7?10?? not sure how big the main cast is gonna be this time. usually in older generations it was always 7. 
4) i really hope the mane cast will be inspired by older generations like how g4's cast was. i always thought it was so cool seeing the evolution of ponies through out the generations they were re-introduced in.
5) praying to god they make new lore and dont just churn out the same concepts g4 already made.

what i wouldn't like to see:

1) overdoing of trying to tie in g4 and g5. im not a fan of them trying to connect these at all and i wish it was gonna be its own thing but they talk about wanting to do this A LOT. i know its to help the mourning of bronies losing their favorite horse waifus by referencing through out the new generation but im not looking forward to it.
2) starlight glimmer
3) overly cartoony designs. while i obviously love MLP:FIM it would be nice to see g5 designs be a bit more horse like in terms of showing hoof-fur or having the anatomy be a bit more correct to real horses/ponies like in the earlier generations. (mostly speaking in case of the g1 pilot movie's artstyle anatomy. compared to the g1 series it was much better and cleaner in design and the combination of both semi realism and cartoon)

(sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes it is 3 am and i am out of it)

1 starlight glimmer disliked this post.

Oh and karma is gonna hit you like a train:okiedokieloki: theres gonna be a high chance that starlight glimmer is gonna be the new princess of gen 5......

Moments ago, Kujamih said:

theres gonna be a high chance that starlight glimmer is gonna be the new princess of gen 5......

whos to say thats not already gonna happen in ponylife? you never know these days :orly:

I want the main cast to be unique characters instead of remade Gen4 ones, but I still expect them to be mostly ponies. It will be nice if side characters and even antagonists get more character development and have episodes focused on them. World exploration is a must, especially if, like announced, we'll see the future of Gen4 Equestria. Some subtle references to Gen4 would be fine, but I hope they'll make them in a way that won't demand new fans to be familiar with every aspect of FiM.

Things I don't want to see: humans (a big "nope!"); modern technologies, although an early XX century level of technology would be fine; simplistic characters made with "children aren't very smart" mindset. And most of all I don't want to see virtue signaling: I'd like to see new places and fantasy races and cultures, I'd love to see openly non-straight characters, I expect to see some topics that are traditionally labeled political, but I'll hate it if the show is preachy and focused on ticking all checkboxes needed to be called "progressive" just for the sake of it.

• Brohoof 3

Lemme see.

Things I want on g5:

1. Focus on ponies like in the old days. Know that won't happen due forced diversity

2. Slight hints on previous gens. I don't want them to tie them by force. Just drop one or two slight references every now and then in a way they mock previous gen rather than using it for lore.

Things I don't want from g5:

1. Starlight Glimmer and Trixie. I love those two characters, I would hate to seem them referenced in this train wreck.

2. Excess of "creatures". This thing should be about ponies. Is on the title!

3. School of friendship. That thing sucks. It would also make the whole forced diversity thing dumber because why would there be a need for an activist if the purpose of the school is exactly being inclusive.

• Brohoof 2

22 hours ago, Califorum said:

I want Celestia as the main villain in this, too.

I'd like a main villain in general.

Like, how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have Shredder or Sonic has Dr. Robotnik. 

• Brohoof 3

A few things I'd like to see:

1)  No political agenda---at least none from the writers in real life.  Political agendas always end up alienating a huge chunk of the audience (doesn't matter much which agenda it is, either), and often kill the quality of a work when the message becomes more important than the quality.  (An in-universe political agenda that the characters are into that doesn't actually alienate anyone in real life could work, though.)

2)  More worldbuilding.  I'd like to see explanations for some things that don't totally make sense when you think about them in-depth:  where does the meat come for cat food, when cats' owners are a civilization of herbivores?  How do gems get to be so large---is there magic in the soil?  How did the sun rise before there were unicorns around to raise it, and why does it need magic in order to be raised these days if it didn't before?  What consequences are there to in-universe international politics, when one nation has full control over the day/night cycle?  Why are there always storms around the Storm King's home island?  How do weather and seasons work outside of Equestria if there are no pegasi to move clouds around?  Those kinds of things fascinates me.

3)  Hydia, Reeka, and Draggle from G-1...preferably the exact same characters, intentionally traveling from their own G-1 dimension to the G-4/5 dimension.  I'd like to see them be main antagonists for at least one season (possibly more), where a majority of the episodes have either their main plots or their B-plots driven by the actions of Hydia, Reeka, and/or Draggle.  Heck, I'd like to see more of the cartoon driven by recurring antagonists in general; antagonists only appeared in a handful of episodes in G-4, and I think that took a little bit away from the show's feeling of adventure.

4)  Continuing from off of 3 above:  crossovers with other generations.  G-3 was mostly crap with a few rather kiddie adventures, G-2 was kind of blah slice-of-life but probably workable, G-1 was adventure that mostly isn't up to today's standards.  But they had their decent points.  And of course, a crossover would get us back G-4 characters :)

• Brohoof 2

Of course, first and foremost, I want the characters and stories to be written well. I want more world-building in term of ponies and the cities they inhabit. For example, maybe some more world building about pegasi and what life is/has been like in the city of Cloudsdale or other cities they inhabit. Continuing off that point, I want the show's focus to go back to ponies. The show is literally called My Little Pony, so I feel they should be the ultimate focus, along with friendship. Next, the inverse of that, I don't want the show to become too convoluted with non-pony creatures. Non-pony creatures are okay for one-off side characters that come up every once and a while, but they shouldn't take up the entire focus like they started to do towards the later seasons of g4.

Last, but definitely not least, I don't want there to be a pushing of a political agenda. Though, considering a recent article about g5, it's already too late, I can still wish that it wasn't that way. When a show tries to heavily push political themes, it takes almost everything away from the actual characters and story; causing it to basically just become propaganda. So yeah, I definitely don't want any of that.

These are really the main things I want/don't want in g5. There are probably many little things that I could add, but these are the most important to me.

• Brohoof 2

On 2/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, HereComesTom said:

1)  No political agenda---at least none from the writers in real life.  Political agendas always end up alienating a huge chunk of the audience (doesn't matter much which agenda it is, either), and often kill the quality of a work when the message becomes more important than the quality.  (An in-universe political agenda that the characters are into that doesn't actually alienate anyone in real life could work, though.)

Likewise, absolutely no trying to make things relatable to real-world issues in a manner that screws up the "lighthearted without being pure diabetes fuel" tone that G4 has been known for, or otherwise doesn't fit the setting.

• Brohoof 1