Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you want & don't want in G5!

Props Valroa

As much as I want G4 and G5 to be separated as much as possible, the way they bridged the generations in the movie with the front of the journal and the stained glass in the Zephyr Heights hangar thing was very tasteful and really offered a huge sense of piecing together a lost history very reverently without getting lost in the mire of trying to explain G4 again. If they do some more exploring in the show in the same vein they did in the movie, occasionally finding little artifacts of the ancient past in G4 here and there without letting it interrupt the story of G5, that'd be really cool. Nothing in-your-face like cameos, certainly not, but finding little reminders like the remnants of a structure from G4, discussing ancient artifacts or trying to figure out old maps and symbols, that would be an interesting start for some adventuring. Don't let it take over the narrative from the G5 story, and keep it tasteful and subtle, but I love exploration, archaeology, mysteries, history, and that sort of thing, and trying to recapture a bit of the harmony and friendship utopia lost in the ancient past by trying to learn a little about those times through what's left behind could be quite neat.

• Brohoof 2

I want the show to just ignore G4's story. It looks as if the makers of the show just wanted the community to stay by just saying the G5 is the sequel to G4. Feels as if they were afraid that a complete seperated show/world would scare people away, so they just tried to destroy the whole G4 world to recreate a new one.

The movie was good for the story itself and to me, it would have been better without saying that G4 Equestria was destroyed. Instead they could have just say that there was a time of friendship that ended because of a crisis. Same story without making look G4 looking meaningless

• Brohoof 1

After seeing Generation 5

I want the G5 special and the series to be its own thing rather than relying its previous incarnation. Make the characters stand out. Show their quirks, flaws, and likability to kept people tuning in.

I don't want G5 to continue to be overshadowed by it's predecessor because you'll might alienate people who had not seen FiM and long time FiM fans are not gonna tuned into it because it'll might rehash the same thing that we already seen before.

• Brohoof 1

I want to see unicorns do magic and Pegasi fly! ......Oh wait......They screwed that up. They took the most basic things that Unicorns and Pegasi do.......and screwed it up. :okiedokieloki::unamused:

• Brohoof 2

I want..... the Exposition train to come back in the series or at least a replica to its purpose. I know it's kind of unnecessary but I am gonna miss how it sticks out being forgettable and an important plot piece in an episode at the same time. It's kinda become the central hub for some theorycrafting or discussion from the main characters. At least Maretime Bay have its own trolley that's good enough I guess.

Spoiler

2471801 - safe, screencap, growing up is hard to do, background, friendship  express, no pony, ponyville, ponyville express, scenic ponyville, train  station - Derpibooru

So, I thought up some things that I believe that the series must do. I decided to share them in hopes of a conversation.

0- Please, don't tease G4 for cheap fan service. Do something with it or leave it alone. I do not want to see Celestia ever again. G4 already ruined her enough.

1- G5's world does not feel like G4's. It magic was gone from G4's world it would have crumbled. Ponies were important in several aspects of nature to the point they fabricated clouds and were responsible for the sun and the moon. Cutie marks changed. Things just don't feel the same. I would like an explanation, or at least an acknowledgement of that.

2- I really can't see how things improved. None of the cities seemed to be lacking for anything and they actually seemed like they were better than G4's were. If I was an Earth-Pony I would be terrified that now the Unicorns have magic and the Pegasi can fly. As someone that watched G4, I'm just waiting for the next King Sombra to crawl out of Bridlewood. Honestly, if I lived in Maretime Bay, I'd be clamoring for Sunny's head. Now, what I mean here is that the tension can't be completely over. There are Ponies living in Zephyr Heights that have no idea what happened. The same for Bridlewood and I would be very disappointed if everyone just agreed that they needed to be friends. Especially because everything was fine before. In fact, I would prefer if they remained independent nations.

3- I want to see some repercussion to Haven and her daughters. Not to mention Sprout and Phyllis (even if I don't believe that she had ill intention, unless those things Canterlogic made were for free).

4- Other races, other cultures. I want the Griffons back! But I don't want them to be angry ponies dressed as catbirds. Honestly, I think that G4 was awful at portraying other cultures and I would like to see G5 rectifying that.

5- Are there other Earth-Pony, Pegasus and Unicorn cities? If so, how did the whole thing even work? The cities were so close together that a pair or wide-eyed, not experienced Ponies just travelled on hoof. Is it some sort of triple border? Or are those the only cities left?

6- Ruins of ancient cities, please! Especially giant centers such as Manehattan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-10-02 at 5:00 PM, Metemponychosis said:

2- I really can't see how things improved. None of the cities seemed to be lacking for anything and they actually seemed like they were better than G4's were. If I was an Earth-Pony I would be terrified that now the Unicorns have magic and the Pegasi can fly. As someone that watched G4, I'm just waiting for the next King Sombra to crawl out of Bridlewood. Honestly, if I lived in Maretime Bay, I'd be clamoring for Sunny's head. Now, what I mean here is that the tension can't be completely over. There are Ponies living in Zephyr Heights that have no idea what happened. The same for Bridlewood and I would be very disappointed if everyone just agreed that they needed to be friends. Especially because everything was fine before. In fact, I would prefer if they remained independent nations.

Whether one can reasonably say "everything was fine" is highly debatable. The earth ponies were living in constant fear, relying on Canterlogic junk to protect them from a nonexistent threat. If Sprout hadn't gotten it in his head to launch a pre-emptive strike against the other tribes, somepony else likely would have. And without Sunny to restore harmony, things would likely have gotten much, much worse.

Likewise, if Sunny's antics hadn't exposed Queen Haven's phony-pony-full-of-baloney airshow, eventually either something would have gone wrong with their equipment or the wrong pony would have noticed it.

On 2021-10-02 at 5:00 PM, Metemponychosis said:

4- Other races, other cultures. I want the Griffons back! But I don't want them to be angry ponies dressed as catbirds. Honestly, I think that G4 was awful at portraying other cultures and I would like to see G5 rectifying that.

5- Are there other Earth-Pony, Pegasus and Unicorn cities? If so, how did the whole thing even work? The cities were so close together that a pair or wide-eyed, not experienced Ponies just travelled on hoof. Is it some sort of triple border? Or are those the only cities left?

I've always thought it would be hilarious if the other species had been maintaining healthy relations with each other, having left the ponies behind when the tribes broke up. It would be even more hilarious if that also included pony civilization outside what we saw in the movie.

As for what I'd like to see: having the unicorns rediscover magic beyond telekinesis could be fun. With no experienced wizards there to help them learn and practice that stuff safely, there's ample potential for comedic failure.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I truly want out of Generation 5 is originality, to be quite honest. My biggest fear of them reusing the Mane 6 did not come true, which I am grateful for. The Mane 6 are lovely, but they had their time to shine; a whole decade, even. That said, I am a bit worried that they will reference Gen 4 a bit too much in the upcoming series. I did appreciate the fact that they were modest with their references to Gen 4 in A New Generation... but honestly, even the fact that Gen 5 is a sequel worries me. It does take place after a large time-skip, which does indeed help, but the fact that G4 lore could creep into G5 at any moment makes me dread the possibility of them relying on nostalgia bait. Nostalgia bait in general is far, FAR too overused in our modern culture now in general, but that is a separate subject.

I won't judge G5 for something it hasn't done yet, of course, but I am still worried that they might be too scared to try anything "too new."

• Brohoof 1

I want to see them take full use out of this new generation taking place in the same Gen 4 Equestria
It means they can take things like ruins of locations from gen 4 and use those to plunge our new cast into an old problem, like maybe Discord, since he's implied to be immortal, and see the new characters handle the situation in a completely new way. Apart from that you can expand on worldbuilding and slowly tell a story of what happened to Equestria between then and now

As a basis, all I really ask for is cute and sweet character-building moments for the Mane 5--and hopefully Sprout too. I'd also like to see the characters have long-term goals to work towards (like how Rainbow Dash wanted to be a Wonderbolt), but that's not too much of a necessity. Just seeing slice-of-life moments with adorable ponies will make me happy. Oh, and there better be songs!!! That may seem like a given considering it's My Little Pony, but I worry too much haha. I'd like more songs for Zipp, Pipp, Hitch, and Sprout since Izzy and Sunny got to sing a lot in the film.

I would really like for Sprout to be taken seriously as a character,  get redeemed, and become a sort of main character like what happened with Starlight Glimmer, but that may be hoping for too much. At the very least, they better not just toss him to the side or use him as the butt of jokes. I think he's a very interesting character with a lot of potential.

I don't want too many connection to G4, and I personally don't care for any past history being explained, but it wouldn't exactly BOTHER me if they did. Either way, I think it's important that the show focuses on remaining accessible for young kids who haven't watched G4. And I don't really want them to focus on other species like dragons and yaks and stuff... Maybe zebras and seaponies would be OK. Sure I liked the creatures in FiM well enough, but I'd prefer the show to stick with being My Little Pony this time around!

A problem with G4 was that they added too many characters to where a lot of them didn't get enough chance to shine. I hope G5 doesn't repeat the mistake of adding too many interesting characters only to unfortunately not explore them further!

• Brohoof 3

I hope to see...

1) Heavier themes, things like mental illness or social anxiety (Which isn't really a heavy theme) but it wasn't really discussed in G4

2) Actual battles with villains instead of talking to them about friendship. It would be epic to see the characters fight against other creatures or ponies. And then maybe in the end indoctrinate them with the power of friendship. Shows like Amphibia and The Owl House (And Voltron) Are all shows directed towards younger audiences yet aren't afraid show some violence

3) There's still conflict between the 3 pony races, it would just be so weird if everyone just got along so quickly

4) I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I hope it has a really good theme song that isn't 2 seconds and has no singing. And if it does have singing it's not a generic song you'd hear on the radio

What I don't want

1) Slapstick humor

2) Characters (Like Sprout and only Sprout because, I don't know any other character -_-) To just be nothing but a nuisance towards the other characters 

3) ROMANCE, I just want people to see you can be a boy and be friends with a bunch of girls and not like them. Vice versa. It would be so refreshing honestly.

4) Reformed villains. Or maybe a villains motive is just to be mean because they want to be mean. 

• Brohoof 3

On 2021-11-08 at 10:52 AM, Star_Quake said:

3) There's still conflict between the 3 pony races, it would just be so weird if everyone just got along so quickly

I'm kind of conflicted on this. It's certainly true that one could not realistically expect pony race relations to be fixed overnight. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend a big chunk of the series dealing with themes of racism. I DEFINITELY don't want the writers to try and make things "relatable" to real-world race relations - some of us just want to forget all the BS going on in real life and watch the colorful horses horsing around.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

What l don't want to see is ponies becoming alicorns as a reward for saving Equestria the 159th time(sarcasm).

And what l do want to see is another boy character if possible as one of the main characters in the group. Also want to at least have a male alicorn who is born royalty.

• Brohoof 2

I'm probably the most easy going Brony there ever was. I loved most of the direction the previous series went... but there are still improvements I want to see.

I want:

Consistency in the writing, stories and character arcs (because sometimes the stories didn't make sense or defied logic)

More believable dialogue and conversations (because the previous series was made for little girls, but almost seemed to talk down to them based on how it was written)

I don't want:

Anti-climactic and Deus Ex Machina endings (because this happened (a lot))

Any kind of retcons or reinterpretations of the previous series (because what's happened has happened, for better or worse, and I don't want them to be embarrassed by that)

Personally, I am glad G5 wants to be the sequel to G4, and I'm hoping the in-series history will be consistent (which it has been so far). I just want to see more of Equestria, both as we know it and as we don't know it.

20 hours ago, Stancet said:

Personally, I am glad G5 wants to be the sequel to G4, and I'm hoping the in-series history will be consistent (which it has been so far). I just want to see more of Equestria, both as we know it and as we don't know it.

I'm just hoping the writers can make good use of G5 being in the same world without getting bogged down in mindless fanservice.

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, phantompone1148 said:

How did they ruin her?

Sorry, not having this conversation again. Most people didn't care about the problems with Celestia's character development and how she'd fit in the in-universe place she occupied. At least, most people that did left the fandom and I find it pointless to talk about this now.

I would like the series to have a TV-Y7 rating, not TV-Y, which should allow for more complex stories and themes. I also hope it includes season-long or even multi-season story arcs. 

I actually don’t want another Friendship is Magic, I would like a slightly more serious adventure/magic type of show. One that has slice of life stories, but also involves Sunny continuing her dad’s research. Maybe she and her friends could solve mysteries about the past and discover what happened between the present day and where g4 left off.

I do not want to see Spike, Discord, Twilight, etc. appear in g5, walking, talking, and meeting Sunny. I would like them to remain as historical figures from the distant past.

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was unpinned