Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you want & don't want in G5!

Props Valroa

1 hour ago, Megas said:

I've been seeing a lot of speculation saying Discord will be here and honestly after how I feel about his return in FiM, I really wouldn't look forward to him ever coming back

I'm kind of conflicted there - bringing him back could be legitimately fun, or it could deteriorate into mindless fanservice.

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

I'm kind of conflicted there - bringing him back could be legitimately fun, or it could deteriorate into mindless fanservice.

I mean, when he wasn't actively ruining major storylines and being a prick, he was basically an excuse to bring in endless pop culture references

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'd like to see some type of Equestria Girls return as well. I don't know how it would work or how it could be different enough from Gen 4, though. 

We have seen CGI fanart of Equestria Girls so I'm thinking it will be along those lines but with a more refined style.

• Brohoof 1

I just want the writing to be inclusive and modern just as FIM was, not regressing to tunnel-vision demographics that only target children, like we saw with every gen of MLP prior to gen 4. The only children's media that should be largely targeted should be developmental programs, like Sesame Street. Anything else in this day and age that follows that pattern is proven lazy writing, now that we have dozens of successful shows that have juggled layers of demographics.

Past that, I'm just here for the ride.

Reading through topics like this, I feel baffled how many people still hold onto these raging hateboners for the later parts of FiM. Might I recommend trying to enjoy this next gen at face value, rather than letting your inner nitpicker run rampant? :arethosehands: Your self-inflicted misery should drop dramatically. I could find and fixate on a slew of things unpolished, boring, or aggravating about any part of FiM, including S1-5, but I don't, because working as a masochist full-time is already something I do at my real job. :please:

I think the truly wise can enjoy a piece of artwork for the effort, and criticize its flaws, without letting one always overwhelm the other.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

I'm kind of conflicted there - bringing him back could be legitimately fun, or it could deteriorate into mindless fanservice

I would like to see him back but not immediately though and not in large amounts.

1 hour ago, NavelColt said:

I think the truly wise can enjoy a piece of artwork for the effort, and criticize its flaws, without letting one always overwhelm the other.

I agree. It's the reason why I don't agree with the majority about the Disney Live Action remakes being "nothing but cash grabs"; to me some of those movies are entertaining and worth watching a few times, though none are as good as the original animated movies

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

Thinking back over the premieres and finales I think that only two showcased this well. Return of Harmony and From Where and Back Again. The former played on Discord slowly taking away Twilights friendships finally causing Twilight to succumb to her discorded version only to be brought back by her lessons from Season 1. 

Starlight was anxious about her past deeds and was extremely resistant to be in an leadership role, or in charge. Yet when she did take charge she was able to come up with a plan. I don’t mind epic episodes but I agree that they work better when the conflict isn’t just overcoming the big bad, but also an internal challenge 

In truth, it's not even the two-parters I'm thinking of; those episodes at least try to compensate with something else. Of those episodes, I personally think "Twilight's Kingdom" pulled it off as well; I liked how stopping Tirek was directly tied to Twilight's confidence in her role as a princess. And both of the one-part finales succeed in this area too. Though "Return of Harmony" is kind of a weird example because all of those scrolls came out of nowhere at the very last minute, so she seems to get over her despair very suddenly. 

My problem is more with one-off episodes focused on one character where they're right from start to finish and mostly have to overcome some external pressure. I think "Fluttershy Leans In" is the most notable example - Fluttershy spends the whole episode just standing up for herself, leaving little of interest aside from noting how far she has come. And that's something that would be far more effective if we saw her actually struggle with standing up for herself only to come around and pull it off. To be honest, I think this is something that even popular episodes like "Gauntlet of Fire" suffer from. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, NavelColt said:

Reading through topics like this, I feel baffled how many people still hold onto these raging hateboners for the later parts of FiM. Might I recommend trying to enjoy this next gen at face value, rather than letting your inner nitpicker run rampant? :arethosehands: Your self-inflicted misery should drop dramatically. I could find and fixate on a slew of things unpolished, boring, or aggravating about any part of FiM, including S1-5, but I don't, because working as a masochist full-time is already something I do at my real job. :please:

I sort of decided that the way to reduce my "self-inflicted misery" was to mostly ignore the new show. 

I would very much like to have more on the world and it's law. They had a lot of potential when it came to this, but never did that much with it. People are talking about Discord, which I have mixed feelings about. On one hand he did bring a lot of references to the show, but on the other hand, he is a good example of what a bully with too much power would be like. Also, after that mess that he coursed in S9 (which I'm still disappointed that it turned out to be him), I would rather not have him back.

I'm not sure how to feel about it being CGI, seems far too over used just because everyone else is using it.

• The title was changed to Things you want & don't want in G5!

With at least two characters being fans of the Mane 6, and Sunny possibly even having the Friendship Journal itself, I expect there to be some level of meta humor revolving around G4 lore. I'm on board with that, but just don't let it go overboard. And especially don't have the pony public-at-large going through an itemized list of events in the Journal and complain about them and how it led to all the problems they are currently experiencing. In other words, keep the jokes and attitudes presented in "Fame and Misfortune" as FAR AWAY from the movie as possible. :yuck:

And also in the vein of meta humor, I expect these G4 fanponies to do some amount of shipping of their beloved G4 characters. Again, I'm fine with that but don't let it go overboard. It might even be interesting with the G4 characters passing into legend if the new characters accidentally come up with some crackships that gives us G4 fans a few chuckles.

Additionally, it's been suggested the flying Pomeranian might be the equivalent of a "Spike" in G5. This actually makes a lot of sense - a diminutive non-pony character joining in the adventures of the other ponies. But my concern is whether this dog is going to be relegated to nothing more than the goofy sidekick role seen in many modern Disney and Dreamworks films. Or even worse it becomes S2 through S5 Spike and becomes the butt of jokes. If this is their Spike, things are further complicated if he/she can't talk. At that point it's pretty much just an accessory to the other characters and not a character itself. Of the G4 Mane 6's pets, Tank was really the only one who got any focus; and even then he didn't have much depth. If the flying Pomeranian is supposed to be the new Spike, I'd rather have it be a fully-realized character rather than an accessory.

Finally, in the grander scheme of things, don't talk down to the audience. It is possible for children's media to tackle sobering topics without being condescending and present it with a mix of seriousness and lighthearted fun.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

I really just don't want any characters whose personalities are super simple (kind of like the Mane Six in Pony Life), I hope they keep the depth G4 had while also not making the characters carbon copies of the ones that came before them! I also kind of hope even more species are introduced, not just in the show but in the toy line too, like maybe we could get festive toy sets with deer ponies instead of just getting main characters in festive outfits. Also, as I'm talking about stuff I want in the toy line...PLEASE can we get the Twice As Fancy gimmick back?? I love it, and Sunny would look adorable in a Twice As Fancy set!

(edited)
14 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

What the actual :squee: am I looking at?

CN went full woke. They are using all the proper words and everything.

Now, to be honest, I did pull a bit of lamestream magic by removing "anti" from their lovely slogan: Se color. Be anti-racist. I personally believe that I have merely revealed the true meaning behind their slogan, but feel free to judge my actions as you see fit.

Spoiler

To mods, calm down. I do not intend to debate anyone and I shall ignore all challengers; however, this leftist takeover of cartoons is real and it will not go away if you keep ignoring it under the guise of fencesitting. Political propaganda in cartoons needs to be addressed and rejected before it comes for the things you like.

P.S: I think aliens are people too. Eldritch things not included. The whole point of MLP is ponies = us

Edited by Goat-kun
afterthoughts
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think It’s too late for the feedback, but just to say,

Do

• Proper character development
  • Charming background
  • Likable main characters
  • Heartwarming stories
  • Good lessons
  • Slice of life
  • Comedy
  • Cute girly pony stuff

Don’t

• Half baked lore expansions
  • Emotionally empty epic battles
  • Milking the franchise 
  • Bad political correctness
  • Being too eager to appeal to the fans

All of the above can be ignored if the story is good. I don’t like fish that much, but if it’s cooked well, I’d be more than happy to eat it.

I would also like a complete separation between G4 and G5, but it is too tempting for the showrunners to include 2000 year old Twilight or a villain to show up or be referenced in G5. Who wouldn’t be tempted if you can make millions of people scream and clap so easily just by few frames of old references?

If they make good enough original stories and characters, people won’t even miss the older generation. 

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

however, this leftist takeover of cartoons is real

Ya mean like woke and virtue signalling. I wouldn't say leftist cuz it's not all of leftists thing. A lot of leftists do not like that corporation is trying to be like yes look at me I support so and so issues. So blatant and that.

I think cartoon network is an extreme example ya so I doubt this will happen just like this. When hasbro has done stuff it hasn't been too bad overall. I think diversity is not bad tho just the way its done etc. 

But yeah lets go back to discussing the show, and whats to come. We wont know for sure till we watch.

I note though japanese anime do have their own issues but yes konosuba is pretty cool. 

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 3

I just want em to put love into it. Some SOUL. Like, get genuine bronies in charge and it'll turn out fine. I saw they got a fandom artist to design the new characters in the first place, and the movie animators are already proving these are big time experts who care about the details. So, so far so good.

We may never reach that early 2010s height ever again, but there could be a brand new brony fandom wave with this. The elements for it are all there. Now all it takes is a spark...

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, flurry said:

Ya mean like woke and virtue signalling. I wouldn't say leftist cuz it's not all of leftists thing. A lot of leftists do not like that corporation is trying to be like yes look at me I support so and so issues. So blatant and that.

I think cartoon network is an extreme example ya so I doubt this will happen just like this. When hasbro has done stuff it hasn't been too bad overall. I think diversity is not bad tho just the way its done etc. 

But yeah lets go back to discussing the show, and whats to come. We wont know for sure till we watch.

I note though japanese anime do have their own issues but yes konosuba is pretty cool. 

These are the actions I have condemned. Everyone is free to interpret my words. Everything else is beyond the bounds for this site.

15 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

CN went full woke. They are using all the proper words and everything.

Now, to be honest, I did pull a bit of lamestream magic by removing "anti" from their lovely slogan: Se color. Be anti-racist. I personally believe that I have merely revealed the true meaning behind their slogan, but feel free to judge my actions as you see fit.

Hide contents

To mods, calm down. I do not intend to debate anyone and I shall ignore all challengers; however, this leftist takeover of cartoons is real and it will not go away if you keep ignoring it under the guise of fencesitting. Political propaganda in cartoons needs to be addressed and rejected before it comes for the things you like.

P.S: I think aliens are people too. Eldritch things not included. The whole point of MLP is ponies = us

Yeah, that’s precisely why I was so concerned when they’ve announced the “inclusiveness and diversity” thing about a month before G5 horses were shown, or rather, it clawing it’s way to G4 since it’s taking place in the same world :yuck:. Good thing recent news calmed things now, but I’m still a bit wary :huh:

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, that’s precisely why I was so concerned when they’ve announced the “inclusiveness and diversity” thing about a month before G5 horses were shown, or rather, it clawing it’s way to G4 since it’s taking place in the same world :yuck:. Good thing recent news calmed things now, but I’m still a bit wary :huh:

We'll have to wait, but I do hope that Bronies at least will refuse to get subverted. Just wanting to grill, or watch ponies, is not so bad.