Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship is a journey, not a destination

ded acc

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony

Rarity

How did you find MLP Forums?

I heard about it from other people.

How you became a fan of My Little Pony

First I ran into these ponies when they were a big fad. In 2010-14 they were everywhere.

I saw some clips on YouTube like Guile Theme goes with Everything Sonic Rainboom and the numerous TF2 mashups, which I liked and decided to check the show out. I was lucky when I got into the show the first Season just got finishes so I had the chance to binge it while waiting for the second one. After than I had my adventures around it while the stream of life kept flowing. What can I say? I really liked what I saw. Great art and designs, a good theme of self improvement and friendship. What's not to like?

Hello There! 

I'm Nori, a relatively experienced pony enjoyer. I like most of the G4 show and Equestria Girls. I just love them ponies, even if they are barbies (EQG). I just like that honest warmness that the whole thing has.
I have to check out Pony Life, I already like the art style a lot. I admit I like MLP on a more emotional level so I am not big on the comics or the lore. Nobody can be perfect, as the cliche says.

This is the part where I will mostly look like a no-fun grump:

I enjoy watching anime and cartoons. Usually older titles. I just love the art style, feel and overall artisanship. I am not much into live action film. But I really liked the 6 Star Wars movies, Babylon 5 and Star Trek. I admit I haven't watched the last two show in quite a while. I like reading manga too, and I enjoyed the IDW Friends Forever series, when it ran. I am looking get back to playing some games as well, I didn't had much time and possibility to play games in the last few years. Life can be... busy and crazy! My backlog is massive, so I am gladly in a target rich environment there. I like many kinds of music. I enjoy mixing up styles, I can say my taste comes in blocks. ie "I will listen to a lot of ABBA and Disco now" then the next day Industrial Metal. Also Purple horse taught me that reading is important, so I do that to.

Hobbies:

I am interested in self improvement and learning. After all it was one of the themes in the show that really caught me. You can always be a better you, if you put in the effort. I had some things going on, so I am currently re-starting a lot of the things I am interested in. I have to break off some rust from the hardware so the cogs will turn again, but I am certain I will have everything going just fine!

I want to catch up with my education in STEM fields, learn a few languages, programming, art and making games etc. I don't want to indulge too much in my dreams, but would rather make them real.
Sadly I don't have much to show now.

Spoiler

I need some confidence to restart the engine.

Nice to meet you! Looking forward to be friends, or at least acquaintances.
Have a nice day. (Thanks for reading.) 

• Brohoof 6

Hey there. Welcome to the forum :) 

1 hour ago, Nori984 said:

'm Nori, a relatively experienced pony enjoyer. I like most of the G4 show and Equestria Girls. I just love them ponies, even if they are barbies (EQG). I just like that honest warmness that the whole thing has.

Know what you mean :)

I was listening to this as I was reading your post and it mentioned Rarity too so I think I'll share it

So simple it seems
You dare to dream impossibly
Risky in its rarity I'm bound to it now

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Hello, hello and welcome to the herd! :mlp_yeehaa:

I hope you'll have a good time here.

Interesting hobbies dfEG13d.png

Thank you. Yeah. It's quite a lot. I just need to pace myself so I won't overhype myself.

Hopefully I can get back to doing things and improving my skills. 

7 hours ago, Midnight Danny said:

Yaay, another Rarity fan! :D

*Ahem* Hello @Nori984 and welcome to the MLP Forums. It is sooo nice to meet you! :yay: Hope you will have a great time here and making a lot of wonderful friends! :rarity:

b92.gif.c143e46f6f7a9ebde5007eb4bafa0dc9.gif

I just like Rarity. While I love the mane six equally, I always liked that she is the artisan creative person of the town.
Also I really like her mane.

Making friends is always a good plan.

7 hours ago, Blitzo said:

Welcome to the forums!
1F0094F6-142F-4DBA-9ED9-CC3C5742889B.gif

Thanks Trixie.

7 hours ago, Cagey said:

Welcome to the forums! 

Thank you.

6 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

Hey there. Welcome to the forum :) 

Know what you mean :)

I was listening to this as I was reading your post and it mentioned Rarity too so I think I'll share it

So simple it seems
You dare to dream impossibly
Risky in its rarity I'm bound to it now

From what I can tell the show brought out some really good things from people. For example the ammount of art etc. that was and is still being created is mindblowing.

6 hours ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

Welcome. I also like cartoons, Star Trek, and math. Have fun here.

Which is you favorite show? I liked DS9 for the characters and TNG for the optimistic feelings. I admit I am not that interested in the later show(s). They went into a direction I just don't like.
What cartoons do you like? Math is cool, and kinda difficult to self teach...

1 hour ago, Califorum said:

Welcome! I quite enjoy your outlook. I'll send you a PM! @Nori984

Thank you. Got it!

• Brohoof 6

2 hours ago, Partialgeek514 said:

Hello there! Glad to have you! I'm studying programming myself if you ever want some tips or to chat about it! :BrightMacContent: Hope you have a good time here!

Thank you. It is a fascinating and deep subject. I am trying some tutorials and reading books about it as well. What kind of programming are you studying? 

2 hours ago, Califorum said:

I too have watched all star treks, TNG is my favorite. Discovery was complete garbage but Star Trek was my childhood.

Oh yes. The JJ movies and Disco is not for me. And the TNG movies weren't that good either. For me the TOS movies were the best. It really made the experience better to see the crew age into their roles. 

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Nori984 said:

Which is you favorite show? I liked DS9 for the characters and TNG for the optimistic feelings. I admit I am not that interested in the later show(s). They went into a direction I just don't like.
What cartoons do you like? Math is cool, and kinda difficult to self teach...

I agree TNG and DS9 are the best. Have you seen TNG and TOS remaster in HD? They look amazing. I have seen all the series except Picard and Discovery. I also read a ton of the books.

I mostly like American style, non cg cartoons. I have 1300 dvds worth. My favorites are the DC animated shows. But also comedies like Garfield. 

I studied physics and math. It's not hard to study on your own if you get a good book.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Nori984 said:

Thank you. It is a fascinating and deep subject. I am trying some tutorials and reading books about it as well. What kind of programming are you studying? 

Oh yes. The JJ movies and Disco is not for me. And the TNG movies weren't that good either. For me the TOS movies were the best. It really made the experience better to see the crew age into their roles. 

The TNG movies were alright. Its been years since I saw them but I think they messed up in those movies a bit. TOS was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

I agree TNG and DS9 are the best. Have you seen TNG and TOS remaster in HD? They look amazing. I have seen all the series except Picard and Discovery. I also read a ton of the books.

I mostly like American style, non cg cartoons. I have 1300 dvds worth. My favorites are the DC animated shows. But also comedies like Garfield. 

I studied physics and math. It's not hard to study on your own if you get a good book.

I haven't seen Picard either. I feel like they ruined his character with modern ideas, its not going to be anywhere near the god level that TNG was. 

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, Nori984 said:

Thank you. Yeah. It's quite a lot. I just need to pace myself so I won't overhype myself.

Hopefully I can get back to doing things and improving my skills. 

I myself toy with many things at once, so this is kinda what we have in common. :mlp_icwudt:

Good luck then! I hope everything will be going smoothly for you. :darling:

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

I watched quite a lot of the remastered TOS series. I remember being around on the StarTrek forums when the episodes were being remastered. I saw some clips of the TNG remaster, that too looked really good. VOY and ENT wasn't bad, but I think Voyager had no idea what to do with the concept. And Enterprise is... a TOS prequel*. Those always end up being a mess. Speaking of the new shows. Discovery and Picard just doesn't seem to respect the source material and it's spirit much. This is my issue with Lower Decks too. Hateful cynicism can be okay as comedy in small doses but Lower Decks make Teen Titans Go like a faithful sequel to the original Teen Titans cartoon. I didn't dabble much into the extra material in ST, beside the video games. I think the 90s and 2000s had plenty of neat titles. I enjoyed Starfleet Command, Elite Force, Away team quite a lot. Also the Klingon/Starfleet Academy series was quite nice. Especially how Klingon Academy was a direct prequel to Star Trek VI. 

The DCAU was really strong. I really liked Batman TAS, Superman TAS and both Justice League cartoons and Batman Beyond. It is a pity that action cartoons have taken a backseat to comedy in general. I blame the business model based on selling Toys and the fact that it is harder (ie. more expensive) to animate more action oriented shows and usually the linear story progression is not good for syndication. (I remember this was the reason Lauren Faust's original pitch got turned into a more slice of life show.)

What do you think about The New Batman Adventures? It wasn't a bad show but it sure was more stylized compared to the Batman Animated series. Catwoman looked more like a demon in that one with that pale white skin, pupil less white eyes and full black suit. I preferred the original because it was a bit more down to Earth.

I see. That's quite a lot of 'toons. I liked Garfield and Friends. The US ACRES shorts weren't bad, just they got really overshadowed by Garfield. I used to follow some blogs about animation back in the day so I grew an appreciation to older Hanna-Barbera and Disney cartoons. I liked the old shorts too, but I am not into Slapstick much. My sense of humor is... broken due to YouTube poops and crazy internet memes. I can recommend French cartoons. Of course your mileage may vary on those.

I reckon you work with those fields. I will try to look for a good entry. I gotta refresh everything from step one, just to be sure.

And judging from your name you are into metal music. Got any favorites? I was listening to quite a lot Blind Guardian lately. The Album Nightfall in Middle-Earth is pretty cool.

* Star Trek needs a rest, and Next Generation style time skip and getting some good SF writers to write something new to it. Just keeping a franchise around on it's own is pretty soulless.

4 hours ago, Califorum said:

The TNG movies were alright. Its been years since I saw them but I think they messed up in those movies a bit. TOS was amazing. 

They should have let the crew of TNG take a rest. Also Generation's way of killing of Kirk was just dumb. Not even the new Star Wars movies killed somebody by dropping a bridge on him/her.

1 hour ago, Astral Soul said:

Hi and welcome to the forum! It's a great place here and I hope you'll have a great time here.

I'm also a fan of Babylon 5 and Star Trek (ds9, tng,voy,tos) :)

Thank you! I am still reading up on the other places, I try to make more quality posts in general.
Babylon 5 was pretty nice, I am glad they still didn't reboot it. Also those old Amiga made effects grow on you. With a small budget and okay writing and acting one could make a full space opera show for online, with what is out there today. Also those are the good treks, I watched quite a lot of those.

15 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

I myself toy with many things at once, so this is kinda what we have in common. :mlp_icwudt:

Good luck then! I hope everything will be going smoothly for you. :darling:

Thank you. I am sure things will be fine.
It is good to keep up a wide net of interest, you may catch something interesting. At least that is the plan here.

• Brohoof 3

@Nori984 it's hard to know where to start on all that. I have not seen that Batman show yet, I am so far behind on my shows. Basically, I only watch TV when I have a good set up, and the past couple years my brother and I have built an awesome 4k surround system with about 13 speakers, a top end processor, and Oppo 4k player. I can only watch a show in its maximum quality. So of it exists in 4k Dolby Atmos then that is how I watch it. No watching shows on my phone. Blasphemy! This makes it slow going for me to catch up. Plus I work so much lately. I buy games I will never play and movies I will never watch. I have thousands.

I prefer action cartoons with story arcs. But comedies are good too. I like just about everything except the Pixar style cgi:yuck:. It's not so much the animation, but the type of story. I think animation is far superior to live action because it is easier to suspend disbelief and accept the world. When I see live action I see an actor, not a character. This makes cartoons more real to me. Although I do like movies from the 1980s because it reminds me of when I was a kid.

I don't know any French cartoons, but I notice Canadian ones.

I haven't played many Star Trek games. I think they should let the franchise be. It is better to end on a high. But Hollywood must destroy everything.

No, I don't do physics anymore. I got my PhD and got as far away from science as possible. Long story. 

Blind Guardian is my favorite band! When I discovered metal in college I didn't know music could sound like that. I pity people who don't get it. I have hundreds of cds, although some are different copies of the same album becuase I buy imports and different editions. I have a collecting problem. 

• Brohoof 1

@Metal Brony 42

30 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

it's hard to know where to start on all that. I have not seen that Batman show yet, I am so far behind on my shows. Basically, I only watch TV when I have a good set up, and the past couple years my brother and I have built an awesome 4k surround system with about 13 speakers, a top end processor, and Oppo 4k player. I can only watch a show in its maximum quality. So of it exists in 4k Dolby Atmos then that is how I watch it. No watching shows on my phone. Blasphemy! This makes it slow going for me to catch up. Plus I work so much lately. I buy games I will never play and movies I will never watch. I have thousands.

That sounds like one sweet setup. The problem is that good quality releases are quite rare, especially with cartoons. Sometimes the best you can get is a DVD. 
Yeah, a big backlog is a common theme for a lot of people. Especially considering there are a lot of old gems out there while new good ones come out as well.

40 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

I prefer action cartoons with story arcs. But comedies are good too. I like just about everything except the Pixar style cgi:yuck:. It's not so much the animation, but the type of story. 

Hollywood got even more soulless when they realized they can just replace creativity with an excel sheet and get away with it because the normalfolk doesn't seem to care about anything. In the 2000s it was decided that 3D is more serious than 2D animation and 3D animation must be Pixar clones, because that worked once. I think Pixar lost it's way after Disney influence clearly corrupted them into a sequel factory. The problem with being passionate about everything is... it is a futile fight against the machine. They can and will make Toy Story 10 the quest for more money and it will be still a success. One of the reasons I really quit being a "fan" in general. Don't get me wrong I do like MLP and the community, but I have zero expectations towards Hasbro. If they make something good, I may check it. If not, well, I didn't expect them to do anything good in the first place. So no worries.

45 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

I think animation is far superior to live action because it is easier to suspend disbelief and accept the world. When I see live action I see an actor, not a character. This makes cartoons more real to me. Although I do like movies from the 1980s because it reminds me of when I was a kid.

I have to agree on that. Too bad animation is treated as the second fiddle to live action. Of course it's not like I care about what the critics and the "academy" has to say. Also I think animation is where I can be really impressed with the quality. For example I really liked the two Lego movies. They looked gorgeous and were mostly fun as well. Lego Batman and Ninjago movie was nice too. It just works for me.

With live action... After you notice the patters and tropes many movies turn way too formulaic. For example that generic orchestra they use. Also movie makers, you spend 100 mil on the movie and I can't see anything because the shaky cam is on a sugar high. I just re watched the Matrix movies and it was so refreshing that the movies were confident enough to actually show of the CGI and choreography*. It aged quite well. Effects doesn't need to be realistic, but they should make sense in the story. 

*I would add that CGI feels like a crutch for modern-ish productions because you have the same over animated barely believable monster being overtly animated in the forefront.
Just because you can show the monster, you don't have to....

53 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

I think they should let the franchise be. It is better to end on a high. But Hollywood must destroy everything.

I totally agree. Of course, for that you need a more caring production. Not one that plays necromancer for nostalgia bucks. Ideally there would be a better connection between the audience and the artist.
One can dream.

55 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

Blind Guardian is my favorite band! When I discovered metal in college I didn't know music could sound like that. I pity people who don't get it. I have hundreds of cds, although some are different copies of the same album becuase I buy imports and different editions. I have a collecting problem. 

Got any opinion about Vinyl? It seems to be a thing for audiophiles. (Unless you are a Classical Music buff)
I can imagine you have a room or two dedicated for your stuff. That can be pretty neat. But a lot of dust to clean up. Also Disks can degrade in certain conditions.

I like quite some genres of metal. It depends on the mood. Power Metal is pretty much what I would show to an outsider. It's basically what would an RPG fantasy game sound like if it was an album.

58 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

No, I don't do physics anymore. I got my PhD and got as far away from science as possible. Long story. 

Does it involve explosions? :P

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Nori984 said:

Sometimes the best you can get is a DVD. 

I'm happy with a DVD of an old show that was made in 480, if that's all that's available. I'm not saying I have bought or would buy DVDrs of unrleased shows, but I'm not not saying that either. Some popular shows get a Bluray or even 4k. What gets me is there are some American shows that get a DVD release in another country. I have a region free player and I buy from all over to add to my collection. For example, Adventure Time had a US bluray release up to season 6, then DVD for the rest. But Australia had a bluray for all 10 seasons. So I bought those, but I have to buy all 10 seasons so I could have a complete set, which means I have the complete series 4 times: the US individual seasons, the Australian individual seasons, the complete series on DVD in US, and complete series on bluray from Australia. I do that a lot with movies. I have some rare items. 

it was decided that 3D is more serious than 2D animation

There is this idea that live action is the pinnacle of art and media. The hierarchy goes: books, 2D hand drawn, 2D computer assisted, comic books, video games, 3D cgi, live action. I think interpretive dance comes in just above old cartoons. Different media work better for different things. But 2D hand drawn animation is at the top. :D There was a discussion on these forums about what video game would make a good movie. I said that would be a terrible idea! You can't take the immersive experience of a game and cram it into a cookie cutter, 90 minute Hollywood cgi mess.

Just because you can show the monster, you don't have to....

Monsters or space ships. Just the idea that something was hand made and exists for real means something to me. I'd rather see a cheesy puppet than a well done cgi creature. Sure, there is some stuff you can't do with models, but I'm not a fan of big action movies anyway.

Got any opinion about Vinyl?

I find it odd that people collect the medium over the music. I'm a fan of digital music on disc: CDs, bluray audio, DVD Audio, super audio cd. But the collector in me compels me to buy the vinyl metal albums that come out, usually from Nuclear Blast or Napalm Records. I like the artwork and the records have nice, big pictures. You can't beat a good metal cover. But if CDs were invented first, would anyone created a record? Napalm Records also makes cassette tapes for some new releases. I'd buy that to collect, but would I go on ebay and buy an old Iron Maiden tape? I can't explain it.

My collection is too vast to display. It is stored in some sheds (I call it the archives). When I die, some dude is gonna get rich at my estate sale.

It's basically what would an RPG fantasy game sound like if it was an album.

Now you're just trolling me. :fiery: There is an album of Fairyland where the band members are drawn as rpg characters and they are given stats. The band Evertale has an album about the DragonLance saga. Dragon Land has a series of albums that tell an epic fantasy story. Then there is, of course, Rhapsody. And the greatest lyric ever written by man or gods, from Gloryhammer: "Slashing my way through an army of goblins on the dark side of the moon."

Since you brought it up (because of course you did) the thing I love above all else (except the animated Raven from Teen Titans. Yeah, the good version) is classic Dungeons & Dragons. I have a huge collection of that. 2nd edition or older, where lower AC was good and THAC0 ruled, none of this feat nonsense.

Does it involve explosions? 

No, just an unrealistic expectation of how science works. It's like sausage. You like to eat it but you don't want to see how it's made.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Metal Brony 42 said:

No, just an unrealistic expectation of how science works. It's like sausage. You like to eat it but you don't want to see how it's made.

I guess that is true for most parts of life. A romantic vision gets you there, then you realize it's just a bunch of bureaucracy that tries to makes sense of inhuman complexity. It is pretty depressing.

Monsters or space ships. Just the idea that something was hand made and exists for real means something to me. I'd rather see a cheesy puppet than a well done cgi creature. Sure, there is some stuff you can't do with models, but I'm not a fan of big action movies anyway.

When you see a Practical effect you start to wonder how did they did it. CGI is known to be really user friendly so it can be just hand waved easily. Like those shots in Star Wars were impressive, the scale and everything. Yet the only CGI you see (in the non special editions) are on the computer screens and targeting computers. I feel the same for art too. I like Manga because it's still ink on paper. That has that romantic aspect even if it doesn't make any sense by the logic of pushing for efficiency for efficiency's sake (to make more money with less effort).

To be human for me is to roll with imperfections and accept that art is supposed to be art, not a 1 to 1 window to an alternative reality. The show part should be there. It would be more honest.

Now you're just trolling me. :fiery: There is an album of Fairyland where the band members are drawn as rpg characters and they are given stats. The band Evertale has an album about the DragonLance saga. Dragon Land has a series of albums that tell an epic fantasy story. Then there is, of course, Rhapsody. And the greatest lyric ever written by man or gods, from Gloryhammer: "Slashing my way through an army of goblins on the dark side of the moon."

Since you brought it up (because of course you did) the thing I love above all else (except the animated Raven from Teen Titans. Yeah, the good version) is classic Dungeons & Dragons. I have a huge collection of that. 2nd edition or older, where lower AC was good and THAC0 ruled, none of this feat nonsense.

DnD sounds fun. I have never did pen and paper Role Playing myself. 

Metal was always nerdy. I recall Burzum saying basically he was inspired by role playing games when making Black Metal music. (strangely all Northern acts simply missed Venom's music.)
I think Manowar must be the most unintentionally RPG music. They roll with a Conan the Barbarian feel for a lot of songs. 

Dragon Force could be a good JRPG. It's so over the top. Also... repeat the themes quite often.

I'm happy with a DVD of an old show that was made in 480, if that's all that's available. I'm not saying I have bought or would buy DVDrs of unrleased shows, but I'm not not saying that either. Some popular shows get a Bluray or even 4k. What gets me is there are some American shows that get a DVD release in another country. I have a region free player and I buy from all over to add to my collection. For example, Adventure Time had a US bluray release up to season 6, then DVD for the rest. But Australia had a bluray for all 10 seasons. So I bought those, but I have to buy all 10 seasons so I could have a complete set, which means I have the complete series 4 times: the US individual seasons, the Australian individual seasons, the complete series on DVD in US, and complete series on bluray from Australia. I do that a lot with movies. I have some rare items. 

Is importing stuff complicated or just takes time and money? Also the weird releases are fascinating. It gives things a little lore, which I can appreciate. 

There is this idea that live action is the pinnacle of art and media. The hierarchy goes: books, 2D hand drawn, 2D computer assisted, comic books, video games, 3D cgi, live action. I think interpretive dance comes in just above old cartoons. Different media work better for different things. But 2D hand drawn animation is at the top. :D There was a discussion on these forums about what video game would make a good movie. I said that would be a terrible idea! You can't take the immersive experience of a game and cram it into a cookie cutter, 90 minute Hollywood cgi mess.

Oh yeah. I would say, with games you have to pick what aspect you wish to adapt. The story? The emotional impact? The world? A long winded comic or multi part film or animation could do it.

Movies are too limited for that. Also... movies are made for the "general audience". See "Resident Evil" movies.

Ultimately the multi media experience a fandom can provide can be the best. But that's hard to pull off.

Edited by Nori984
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Nori984 said:

Dragon Force could be a good JRPG

I want this game.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Nori984 said:

Is importing stuff complicated or just takes time and money?

It is usually easy but expensive. I use Amazon and Ebay from different countries. One time I was looking for a Dragon Heart cd and found it online in another country (they spoke English but maybe it was Germany), but they didn't have a way to order online (or something, I forget exactly) so I had to call them and order over the phone. A couple times I ordered from a Russian site. I used Google translate to figure it out. The exchange rate was good and I got cds really cheap.

A couple years ago I was thinking of getting a high end 4k player. Then the company that made them announced that they weren't going to make players any more, so the price went up. It was already expensive to start. But I found one on Chinese Amazon (not Ali Express, literally amazon.cn ^_^) and then used a special courier to deliver it.

I had some HDDVDs I wanted to watch, so a year later I wanted a HDDVD player and one of the top models was only released in Japan. So I used another courier to order that. I got a voltage transformer and guessed my way through the menus. Someone said, why not just watch the bluray version? I said, that's not the point.

I like import cds because they have bonus tracks. There is a band from Mexic called Aethra. They never got a contract, as far as I know. But they self published 300 copies of their album. I emailed them and got a personilzed autographed copy. That is my most prized cd. That's another reason to love physical media.

41 minutes ago, Nori984 said:

A romantic vision gets you there, then you realize it's just a bunch of bureaucracy that tries to makes sense of inhuman complexity.

More like I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :laugh: Seriously, grad school is aweful.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, anaconda said:

welcome and good communication, Nori

Hi. Thanks!

I want this game.

I would be fun to make something like it. A spectacle fighting rpg with huge-huge bosses.

More like I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :laugh: Seriously, grad school is aweful.

Ah. It happens. ^_^

It is usually easy but expensive. I use Amazon and Ebay from different countries. One time I was looking for a Dragon Heart cd and found it online in another country (they spoke English but maybe it was Germany), but they didn't have a way to order online (or something, I forget exactly) so I had to call them and order over the phone. A couple times I ordered from a Russian site. I used Google translate to figure it out. The exchange rate was good and I got cds really cheap.

A couple years ago I was thinking of getting a high end 4k player. Then the company that made them announced that they weren't going to make players any more, so the price went up. It was already expensive to start. But I found one on Chinese Amazon (not Ali Express, literally amazon.cn ^_^) and then used a special courier to deliver it.

I had some HDDVDs I wanted to watch, so a year later I wanted a HDDVD player and one of the top models was only released in Japan. So I used another courier to order that. I got a voltage transformer and guessed my way through the menus. Someone said, why not just watch the bluray version? I said, that's not the point.

I like import cds because they have bonus tracks. There is a band from Mexic called Aethra. They never got a contract, as far as I know. But they self published 300 copies of their album. I emailed them and got a personilzed autographed copy. That is my most prized cd. That's another reason to love physical media.

Is HDDVD still a thing? A remember that format war happened when the Xbox360 and PS3 were new. Time sure flies.

Also the story with the small band is kinda heartwarming. Good to hear you give some love to the smaller players as well.

• Brohoof 1

Hey there Nori, welcome to the forum!

I'm Kadae! I love tea and Octavia. I'm also interested in languages and I'm currently studying STEM! :P

I hope to see your posts around here and that your stay is awesome!

• Brohoof 2