Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you had a choice as to what G5 would be, what would it be?

Props Valroa

If G5 is to be a continuation of G4:

Twilight's reign over Equestria was stable and peaceful for decades. Although eventually, Twilight would outlive all of her friends. The land was peaceful although without a few problems here and there. Twilight would rule for decades under peace and friendship. However that wouldn't last forever, eventually a group of Unreformed changelings had heard of the legend of Queen Chrysalis, although they had elected their own Queen and survived, none had been as notable as Chrysalis was. Eventually they would break Chrysalis and Tirek, Cozy Glow out of their stone prisons. Queen Chrysalis would return as the Queen of the Changelings and the 3 villains would team up.

Eventually they had planned to take over the world again but learning from their mistakes, Lord Tirek only drained a few ponies and the 3 villains fled beyond Equestria. Twilight, without her friends was very angered and worried over this. She was worried that everything she had lived to achieve was falling apart, and that she had failed Celestia and her friends. This worry and fear corrupted her, transforming her into Daylight Sparklenight (I don't like that name but it will have to do, a Nightmare version of Twilight). She had vowed to hunt down those villains and defeat them.

As Twilight's worry grew, she grew more and more mad with power and control. Eventually she transformed into a dictator who was heartless but also very sad, having lost her friends to time. A few years after that, she had found herself in war with the new Changeling Army under Chrysalis who had defeated the Changeling Kingdom and Conquered the unreformed Changelings, eventually transforming them back into what they were. The Descendants of Thorax's leadership were killed, and the Changeling Empire under Chrysalis's rule returned.

While Tirek lead his own army of monsters of Tartarus to attack the ponies. While him and Chrysalis had an alliance, they formed some sort of combined monster-Changeling army and stormed Equestria. A massive battle ensued, eventually Twilight or whatever her Nightmare evil name would be would battle Chrysalis and Tirek, while Cozy Glow had set up her own plan that would eventually backfire on her. The battle was fierce, but there was no conclusive winner.

The armies would grow tired and the war was a stalemate, Twilight was forced into an agreement with Chrysalis and Tirek. Chrysalis and Tirek would withdraw their armies from Equestria, but Twilight would not pursue them further. This new 'peace' would last for decades more with occasional clashes.

Eventually, a group of Enlightened Wizards had enough of Twilight's rule and they rebelled, they stood true to Celestia's old ways (almost like Cultists), and eventually overthrew Twilight...using the elements of harmony (they found new elements). Twilight was banished into the stars as a constellation and the wizards themselves collectively ruled Equestria for a time, freeing it from tyranny.

This freedom granted them the power to rise the Sun and Moon and Equestria became what it once was more or less. Eventually the most powerful one would lead Equestria as it's first King. The King ruled with peace and fairness, while defending the land from threats otherwise and became an Alicorn, eventually finding his love who became a Queen herself.

Tirek and Chrysalis would grow old and more powerful, becoming something of Legends themselves but still ruling their Empires before passing on, leaving their descendants to rule.

Eventually, the Queen would find herself a student, and that is where the story would continue.

If G5 is all new:

If it is all new I would like to see Alicorns of various elements, seasons, more than just Sun and Moon. Almost like gods with their own followers, temples and shrines. 

• Brohoof 1

I just hope that there's a nerd type character there that does not end up being normalized, like what happened to Twilight.

Also, that there are no real-life politics or propaganda in the show. You can have whatever ideas you like in there, just don't make it incredibly obvious that you are pushing that idea.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

More G4.  I just hate reboots even though I know Friendship is Magic is a reboot.

It could follow some of the other characters as well as the Mane 6 if they want to branch out.

I too would prefer more G4. But I have heard (herd? :D) it suggested this won't be either a reboot OR a new world, but a timeskip into a future Equestria, after the Mane 6 are now legends.  Reminds me there of what they did to extend Avatar with Korra.

I'm still on season seven, or was it eight? So, yeah, that is how "good" the show got towards the end. I cannot even remember most of the episodes I watched in recent memory. And some of the stuff I've seen over the internet has basically confirmed my worries about what would most likely be a very cliche ending that is the equivalent of awful garbage fire, which is worse than regular garbage fire.

So, here is a general idea. Make it something different without relying on the strengths and weaknesses of generation 4.
Still, they will most likely try to re-capture the magic and fail miserably. As they continue to build on the bloated mess that G4 became after they jumped the shark, followed by the introduction of the plot device map and the school of friendship, ughh... disgusting.
Keep it simple, especially when you are stupid. Everything needs to exist for a reason in the plot. Not mere excuses to keep regurgitating low quality merchandise. And remember that magic is in the simple things. Not in becoming a princess, growing wings and getting taller to remind those who should be your equals of your superiority, much less ensuring the perpetuation of exploitative systems such as monarchy. Characters need realistic goals and development that are both relatable and humane. And give the show a sensible conclusion instead of making up half-assed excuses to continue capitalizing on a product that should have ended long ago. If you want to make something special, then treat it like such.

• Brohoof 2

definitely new plots, new story, and new characters. while mlp:fim was great i think itd be nicer to have a completely new story to get invested in rather than the same one but different in a few ways. its why i got excited about the chance of there being a new mane6. while i love og mane6 again it would just be nicer to see new characters rather than old ones. its hard to let go but youre getting something new out of it that i think everyone should give a chance.

i honestly feel like its just people not being able to let go when they say they just want more g4 stuff or the same characters. the characters and stories have already been exhausted enough. if theres a new cast and new world please give it a chance.

and i also just find it in lazy writing to rehash the same characters/personality types which is why im also against it. it just seems cheap

• Brohoof 1

I'd like a complete wipe of the story and characters at least. Maybe same general locations and setting in Equestria in the future would be alright, with a few mentions here and there of the mane 6 and past important characters. Even far in the future, I can't imagine all that they did being forgotten.

I can easily see some sort of catastrophic event occurring with the mane 6 not being around anymore to prevent the bad guys from doing their thing, and a new team of friends needing to be formed, with their own new stories and personalities and everything.

And if we do see (Princess) Twilight in the new gen, we better also have the entire mane 6 there, or I'm going to be sad :rarity:

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I too would prefer more G4. But I have heard (herd? :D) it suggested this won't be either a reboot OR a new world, but a timeskip into a future Equestria, after the Mane 6 are now legends.  Reminds me there of what they did to extend Avatar with Korra.

Really??? Not sure how I feel about that but I'll watch it.

If this is to be in the far future of the G4 universe: Don't throw away the happy ending of "The Last Problem". Have the movie's conflict involve a villain who just showed up and is threatening to disrupt the peace that the Mane Six achieved - have the protagonists proactively work to maintain said peace, not fix a broken world.

Either way: Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to make anything "relatable" to real-world issues to a greater extent than properly fits the setting, and show some subtlety with any attempts at being "woke".

• Brohoof 2

Well, for one, I'd want the characters and episodes to be well written; that can pretty much go without saying.

To be more specific though, I'd want the show to mainly focus around ponies. It is called My Little Pony after all. Next, It'd be cool if the main cast was a combination of Earth, pegasi, and unicorns like it was in g4. I just find the three types of ponies very interesting, and g4 did a decent job at giving each some world-building (though they kind of gave too much time to the unicorns and not enough to the Earth ponies and pegasi). Next, I would love the introduction of bat ponies. They are already one of my favorite types of pony, and they aren't even officially canon!  Lastly, I'd much rather have variants of ponies (earth, unicorn, pegasus, bat pony, crystal pony, etc.) over non-pony characters (this kind of relates back to my point about the show being pony focused). I'm not saying there shouldn't be non-ponies, I just think they should be more on the side like they were in the earlier seasons.

When it comes to setting, I'm not too picky, as long as it is still is Equestria. I like the fantasy theme that g4 had, but for some reason, I think It would be cool to have 80s tech as a throwback (along with the fantasy). Maybe that's just me though XD. Just as long as it isn't a modern-day theme. For specific location, I think It would be neat to pick a different location in Equestria. Either an existing or new one would be fine (being half on the ground-half in the clouds, Stratusburg would be a cool one). Though if they do stick with Ponyville, I won't complain.

Lastly, but not least, I don't want it to push any political agenda. As I've said before in other posts, that just takes away from the characters, plot, and charm of a show. 

These are all ideas which I would love to see in g5, though unfortunately, I highly doubt this will be happening. The article about g5 heavily implies it will be both pushing and focusing on politics. I can still hope for the best, but my expectations are really low.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Landi72 said:

I like the fantasy theme that g4 had, but for some reason, I think It would be cool to have 80s tech as a throwback (along with the fantasy). Maybe that's just me though XD. Just as long as it isn't a modern-day theme.

Speaking of technology, here's an idea: Instead of fancier real-world technology, give us more advanced examples of combining magic and technology (such as the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, or Tank's propeller). Give us a world that's been progressing beyond your run-of-the-mill fantasy setting, but in its own unique way on account of all the magic. You could still throw in a few things reminiscent of real-world technology for flavor (80's stuff could certainly work well).

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Steampunk would be awesome as well.

As I understand, the latest leak mentioned the pegasus city having a steampunk style.

Speaking of that: If we were to get another handicapped pegasus (as said leak suggested), it'd be awesome to have her using some piece of assistive technology to fly, with some offhand reference to Scootaloo having been involved in its initial development.

Edited by HedonismBot

Start over with something new. Besides the fact that I don't like the last half of the show, I don't really want anything connected to G4 if it takes place after The Last Problem and just implies everything they did, including Twilight's reign, a complete failure. Unless of course it only acknowledges everything they did up to Twilight's Kingdom and recton the Haber era to hell, like that leaked animatic seemed to imply, in which case I'll stomach it.

Yes, I am that fucking petty

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

As I understand, the latest leak mentioned the pegasus city having a steakpunk style.

Really? That's pretty cool! I hope they dedicate more screen time to this pegasus city than g4 did with Cloudsdale (if this gen isn't garbage, that is). Both pegasi and their cities are highly fascinating, and it was a shame they were underutilized in the show.

• Brohoof 1

I'd raised age rating a bit and reused the same premises as in G4. But instead of a young pony who learn how to communicate with others and make friends I'd introduced a character who just stepped in adult life and started to learn things. Higher rating would help with dark-ish themes and life is overall not so black and white