Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite MLP Art Style?

Crunchypuff

Favorite MLP Art Style?  

22 users have voted

1. 1. Which of the various art styles in the series (and movies and spinoffs) is your favorite?

• G1-3
    • G3.5
    • G4
    • Equestria Girls
    • MLP Movie
    • Pony Life

Choices listed above, let me know if I missed anything somehow. (I know Equestria Girls doesn't quite count as ponies, but I put it there anyway because why not)

Personally I'm stuck between G4 and the earlier generations, I like a more horse-y style, but the simplistic design of FIM has a draw to it too. And the movie looked really nice as well.

I think I can guess as to what the results of this poll will be, but who knows? Maybe a bunch of people will pick Pony LIfe lol

Edited by Crunchypuff
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
(edited)

G1 -

Pin on Pony love

Cute, classic and horsey, I like it

G2 -

http://pm1.narvii.com/6852/cddc5e8726f149e66178e8a169f03d5818383116v2_00.jpg

Not much to go off of given there was never an animated series with it I believe. Slimmer than G1 but not as appealing imo

G3 -

My Little Pony G3 - Meet the Ponies - Pinkie Pie Party - YouTube

This one's been growing on me, feels closer to G1 than G2 did while being bright and colorful(though a bit too bright at times). Looks a bit cuter

G3.5

My Little Pony G3.5 full opening/intro (16:9) - YouTube

Honestly it's not that bad, A step down from G3, trying to adapt a similar style but nowhere near as cute despite being chibier versions of the G3 ponies. But I still think it looks appealing an nowhere near as bad as some bronies claim

Now Newborn Cuties?

large.png

Good lord throw it into the Fires of Mordor

Now G4(finally!) -

Equestria Daily - MLP Stuff!: The Possible End of MLP Generation 4 and Why  You Should Keep Calm and Pony On!

Yeah, I love it. Slimmer than the others, but in a way that makes them very appealing. Full of expression, look squishy but in a cute way. Bright and colorful without oversaturation.

G4 Movie Style

2078751.gif

G4 but somehow even better. Feels a bit like G3 in a lot of the right ways like with how it uses colors. Expressions and faces look cuter imo. Look squishier than G4 but I like that(God, "Squishy" sounds like a really weird way to explain it but that's the best I can come up with)

Equestria Girls

large.png

Looked weird at first but started to grow as the series when on as they went on to clean up the artstyle(like giving them more distinctive looks, and getting rid of the bulbus feet) and give the girls better outfits

EQG Promotional Art 1

260054.jpg

This shit was hideous. It looked like they were trying to mimic the Monster High artstyle in the worst possible ways, especially with the ugly lipstick and the cutie marks on their faces. They got rid of both these aspects with Legend of Everfree's promotional art and tried to be closer to the main show and despite it's more garish colors it was still better off for it imo

EQG Promotional Art 2

large.jpg

Oh man, now this is fantastic. A lot cuter than the first promotional art and had an identity of its own. Part of me thinks EQG would have taken off sooner had this been the promotional artstyle. Part of me also wishes the main artstyle of the show was like this

Pony Life

large.jpg

Much like EQG, this one had also grown on me and the more I looked at it the more I like it. While not as cute as traditional G4, it was still cute on it's own right and unlike the other half Gen(G3.5) this one was chibified G4 but had it's own identity. Also loved some of the liberties they took with the character designs like Twilight's shorter mane or RD's Punk Style

G5

large.jpg

I like it, manages to translate My Little Pony into 3D pretty well, very cute, soft bouncy and cuddly. If there's one thing I take issue with, it's how weird their mouths are. But, much like a lot of things on this list, it looks considerably better in motion

G5 Promotional Art

large.jpg

I don't like it. It's not objectively bad or anything, I think it's still better than some of the things here like Newborn Cuties, or EQG's first promo art, but this just look very corporate and soulless, you can just tell by the eyes

G5 Tell Your Tale

2809967.jpg

I don't hate it, but something about it looks off, enough for me to still have a hard time to get behind. Even seeing it in motion, which usually does wonders for some of the other things here, doesn't do it for me, I have issues with their chins, their legs, a lot of little things, but they add up. I do feel this is going to vary a lot, because this image I feel is one of the better representations of the artstyle

Man I did a lot more than what was probably necessary, but also surprisingly not as negative as I expected either. Overall I'd definitely say my favorite is the G4 Movie Style, followed by traditional G4 and G5 3D

Edited by Megas

MLP MOVIE HELL YEAH! 

I loved the animation going back in season 8 was a little like damn I miss the movie style

Tho I will say Rainbow Road Trip should be included as it's a great in between 

9 hours ago, Miss said:

Tho I will say Rainbow Road Trip should be included as it's a great in between 

I still need to watch that I hear its pretty good. 

As to the topic I personally think that the Movie has the best art style.