Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think "Royal Advisor" means?

FlareGun45

I was so glad when Spike finally retired that assistant position for something that gives him alot more opportunities! However, as time went on and the comics released, it seems that people think "royal advisor" has multiple meanings - something that would definitely risk holding Spike back..... again.

I took "royal advisor" meaning co-ruler of Equestria alongside Twilight. He literally said he's her right hoof, and when Luster Dawn thought Twilight ruled Equestria all on her own, Spike reminded her of his advisor role, basically saying he's the co-ruler. He's even got his own throne! Luna's position, know what I'm saying? Sure he doesn't have the magic to raise the moon or watch over the dream realm, but he's already got his own bigger responsibilities that involve keeping Equestria's alliances alive.

When I saw the season 10 comics and some of the fan-made interpretations, yunno what I felt from him? Royal Advisor meaning Assistant Role 2.0 - same position, different name, and that got me so nervous thinking he didn't actually get a real promotion. That is, unless the comic writers are planning a story that talks about that, which would be great! It would certainly help improve his insecurity issue.

So what do YOU think this position means? Co-ruler, or Assistant Role 2.0, or something else entirely? OR do you think it means Assistant Role 2.0 NOW, and then co-ruler later?

• Brohoof 1

I didn't see the episode, but advisor is someone that advises. I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a scene with the 'advisor' explaining his role.

"I basically say: your majesty is about to do something stupid. Whenever the king is about to do something stupid."

The implied context was that the king had a lot of things on his head, and he needed someone with both feet planted on the ground to help him avoid doing stupid stuff due to his more generalist vision of the situations.

• Brohoof 1

I thought that advisors need to possess a fair amount of insight like Merlin and Jafar. What's Spike gonna advise about, how to bake pastries? So yeah, advisors can be pretty cool dudes, but Spike doesn't know jack shit about magic and mysteries of the world. He does not belong in the same category. Someone like Zecora would be far more deserving of such a title. He is more of a "Mouth of Twilight" the way I see it.

The real issue with the position of Royal Advisor, is that there aren't any qualifications beyond generally staying on everyone's good side, or least those in power.

You could be a key figure from the previous rulers or have played an influential role, like Zazoo from the Lion King for Mufasa and Simba, or Bismarck of Prussia and the German Empire from Kaiser Wilhelm to his father and grandfather before him, though the latter had a far more formal place within the government.

Good qualities and expectations for a royal advisor are management, enforcement, and diplomacy. You have been granted a long leash in which you may make demands for or in the name of your ruler, but know that they can yank on it at anytime, and should you be allowed to wander too far, other ranking bodies might cut you off from the throne. Good PR is very important to maintain.

Ultimately, royal advisors are permitted to weild a lot of power so long as it's done in the interest of those you serve, as their hold is rather fragile. They can often be trusted to speak in a ruler's stead, and may act as a mediator between them and others in positions of power.

So long as they do their job well enough, or cozy up close to the throne without creating rumors, a royal assistant can be anyone. Family members, friends, impressive strangers, or actual officials with merit.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I didn't see the episode, but advisor is someone that advises. I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a scene with the 'advisor' explaining his role.

"I basically say: your majesty is about to do something stupid. Whenever the king is about to do something stupid."

As I recall, Spike has done exactly that multiple times over the course of the series, though usually the plot demanded that Twilight not listen.

2 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

As I recall, Spike has done exactly that multiple times over the course of the series, though usually the plot demanded that Twilight not listen.

Oooooooh, yunno what I'd love? Spike gives Twilight advice, and she's about to do the exact opposite, and he just loses it saying: "TWILIGHT SPARKLE, CAN'T YOU JUST LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE IN YOUR LFIE?!" and repeats his advice to her. That'd be sooooooo cool!

• Brohoof 1

I'll let Twilight herself answer that:

Twilight Sparkle: A new position I created for you. You've been at my side for every step of this journey. Knowing I had you to count on gave me the strength I needed to grow and succeed. I wouldn't be here without you.

Spike is Twilight's closest friend. Earlier in the series, she (and the universe) didn't treat him that well, but as their relationship evolved, so did their dynamic. They're extremely important to and depend on each other; they're not complete unless they're together. Plus, she can't rule the throne by herself. Who's the most capable to help her? Spike himself. He has to hold his own, maintain harmony at home with her, and — most importantly — develop it beyond the borders. All of which he excels at. "Royal advisor" is the most important non-princess job in Equestria, and she completely believes he can do it.

I saw it as Spike helping Twi out but not being constantly there by her side so he could go off and do dragon things? Small pile of gold somewhere, occasionally get to work on his hiss (like in Secret of My Excess)?

image.png.5fe87610cd92343c6f051acef4fca1dc.png

19 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

That is true. I think I've become more forgiving of the cartoon after I started writing fanfiction for it.

I've always liked the dynamic between them and the way they sometimes switched that role. And the way they cared for each other.

On 2021-02-06 at 3:06 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

I'll let Twilight herself answer that:

Spike is Twilight's closest friend. Earlier in the series, she (and the universe) didn't treat him that well, but as their relationship evolved, so did their dynamic. They're extremely important to and depend on each other; they're not complete unless they're together. Plus, she can't rule the throne by herself. Who's the most capable to help her? Spike himself. He has to hold his own, maintain harmony at home with her, and — most importantly — develop it beyond the borders. All of which he excels at. "Royal advisor" is the most important non-princess job in Equestria, and she completely believes he can do it.

While the "You have always been with me every step of my journey" was heartwarming, it falls flat when you realize Spike really hasn't.
Due to so many times he gets excluded/left out from whenever the girls do something and such.
Heck, this literally happened in the season 9 premire, he got shoved into the girls' shadows with how he was brainwashed like that.
Sadly he wasn't with Twilight in every single step pretty much..
Which is a problem I have with the show on how Spike keeps getting left out(I know there's a few times he choose to not be with them but that is still bad since the writers just flip a switch to justify Spike being excluded. And the fact it doesn't mean Spike wouldn't regret his decision to not go with the girls at times)

• Brohoof 2