Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

With the recent G5 news, are you excited or worried about the upcoming movie/show?

P0nyguy96

With the recent G5 news, are you excited or worried about the upcoming movie/show?  

26 users have voted

1. 1. With the recent G5 news, are you excited or worried about the upcoming movie/show?

• Excited, It sounds good!
    • Worried, they might have ruined it
    • Undecided, will wait and see

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2021-03-05 at 05:00 AM

I do have a concern about the apparent "activism" but not for the reasons some might think.

Does Equestria have 'dark corners' of its political landscape that we don't know about? There's little hint of censorship. Most of the populous is content. There's almost no hint of poverty. And we left the show with Equestria being a shimmering beacon of equality and inclusiveness.

Where do we go from here? Has the kingdom under Twilight's reign fallen from grace? Will some really hard-to-swallow problems be forcefully-inserted into the society; things that would never EVER have happened at any time in G4? The only other possible problem I can think of would be Democracy vs. Monarchy. And that opens up a whole can of worms that seems unneeded since to become a Princess in the first place you more or less have to prove you're not corrupt and will serve the good of the people, in a way that conventional Earth nations WISH they could have.

I'm pretty worried and my expectations are low. The fact this is one of the first things we hear abut g5 implies where the writers and producers are putting their priority. Instead of focusing on storytelling and character development, they will be pushing a political agenda. This just takes away from the characters, story, and the overall feel of a show. I'll watch the movie/show to see for myself, but if it truly is ruined, I'll stick to g4.

• Brohoof 3

I'm excited on the grounds of getting something new and seemingly competent, but you never truly do know about these matters until they actually unfold. I don't know very much about the show as of now, so I'm not going to make any statements that are going to become outdated within a few months. If it's good, then that's great and I look forward to delving into that with the rest of the community. If it's not so good, then hey, we still have G4.

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Where do we go from here? Has the kingdom under Twilight's reign fallen from grace? Will some really hard-to-swallow problems be forcefully-inserted into the society; things that would never EVER have happened at any time in G4?

That's my main concern as well. Doing anything remotely relatable to real-world race relations issues would almost inevitably mean undoing the happy ending we got in "The Last Problem". There's no way that would go over well with G4 fans in any age group.

I can only hope that Hasbro doesn't actually think that "higher emotional intelligence" doesn't mean "they like having all of their entertainment engage in political activism with all the subtlety of a yak on crack". I'll remain cautiously open-minded for the time being, but this is making it hard to maintain any real optimism.

I've seen too much shit to be concerned. I'm interested to see the ebb of people and how it'll look compared to predictions. If they're pulling Marvel right when the bear is gonna have its second coming, then the fat lady has not only stopped singing but has already left the building. Not even Favreau's Luke Skywalker will be able to save you from this burning ship.

Anything changing the status left by "the show is dead, deal with it" will be gladly welcome. Not that I'll support g5, but late canon destruction could be nice.

Hopefully they won't insert mane6 shippings just because. Would hate to see anyone saying "oh yeah, princess twilight married x mane6" so they can shove their woke agenda deeper down our throats.

• Brohoof 2

I think the only way an activist character would work is if Equestria has a new leader who is closed-minded and makes the ponies distrust the other creatures again. The activist character would have probably read stories of how friendly everyone was when Twilight was ruler, and would try to push the same principles that Twilight stood for.

Unfortunately, this would eliminate the possibility of Luster Dawn being G5's protagonist, which I guess isn't so bad as I don't want Hasbro retconning her into an activist anyway. Still, if they just try to 'ponify' real life political issues into the show it will look way too forced and will ruin the wholesomeness of G4.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Anything changing the status left by "the show is dead, deal with it" will be gladly welcome. Not that I'll support g5, but late canon destruction could be nice.

Hopefully they won't insert mane6 shippings just because. Would hate to see anyone saying "oh yeah, princess twilight married x mane6" so they can shove their woke agenda deeper down our throats.

You mean like shoving your anti-woke agenda down our throats?

Fascinating how "basic human decency" is now considered political.

• Brohoof 4

I think the word Pinkie Pie would use is 'Anticippointed'.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, but fully expect it not to live up to what came before.  FiM was lightning in a bottle, but now that Hasbro have seen that there is an adult fandom out there they are probably going to attempt to pander to them, and by 'them' I mean the handful of extremely loud and perpetually offended people on twitter that Hasbro won't want to upset for fear of being 'cancelled', as if that tiny group represents the fandom as a whole.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

You mean like shoving your anti-woke agenda down our throats?

Fascinating how "basic human decency" is now considered political.

Wrong. I mean neither one or the other. Why are we supposed to shove agendas? Live and let live. What's so complicated about that?

• Brohoof 6

3 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

And I for ANY FIM character. Wanna do their woke crap? Take that to their characters. I at most would just roll my eyes and move on for the blatant pandering, but it’s concerning they wanna extend it to FIM. Geez, moderate progressiveness like Lauren Faust’s isn’t enough now :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Live and let live. What's so complicated about that?

Good question. But hey, you can't accuse something of being an "agenda" without having an agenda. And I fail to see how anything a TV show does is "shoving it down your throats." Do they tie you to a chair and keep your eyelids peeled open, while giving you preferential stimulation? I think not.

17 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

And I for ANY FIM character. Wanna do their woke crap? Take that to their characters. I at most would just roll my eyes and move on for the blatant pandering, but it’s concerning they wanna extend it to FIM. Geez, moderate progressiveness like Lauren Faust’s isn’t enough now :scoots:

"Pandering" used to be known as "marketing research," until folks like you started having a problem with it.

Curious and will check it out. Story content of this IP will always go where market forces dictate and major stock holder perceptions are far far more powerful than Bronies or Twitter. Look at Transformers. Fandom hate is nothing compared to a stockholder vote. Their agenda is to sell fucking toys. If the commercials contain interesting stories like they did in FiM ... that is when I care. Honestly, at this point I am more interesting in the art and the fiction that the fandom will create surrounding it. We had some influence in FiM because Hasbro let the team engage the fandom. I have a feeling that won't happen again. Good writing will happen within these realities, or succumb to them. 

• Brohoof 1

Although I originally wanted G5 to be completely separate from G4, after reading the news I'm actually really excited about it being set in the same world. I can't wait for future updates.

Edited by Solar Power

16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Curious and will check it out. Story content of this IP will always go where market forces dictate and major stock holder perceptions are far far more powerful than Bronies or Twitter. Look at Transformers. Fandom hate is nothing compared to a stockholder vote. Their agenda is to sell fucking toys. If the commercials contain interesting stories like they did in FiM ... that is when I care. Honestly, at this point I am more interesting in the art and the fiction that the fandom will create surrounding it. We had some influence in FiM because Hasbro let the team engage the fandom. I have a feeling that won't happen again. Good writing will happen within these realities, or succumb to them. 

Essentially where I stand. Grown tired of all this drama already. More people need to realize that the internet is not reality. If G5 is good, then I'll care about it. If it is not good, I won't care about it. :maud:

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

you can't accuse something of being an "agenda" without having an agenda

I guess my agenda goes about staying against all sort of imposed social system then. Buck imposition and censorship. Neither side knows how to go on without shoving their shit up each other. So as long as both sides keep on going like that I'll remain against both.

However, as far as I'm concerned, cartoons have always been prone to be used to brainwash people with political agendas. Is media used to impose an ideology, and that's on my blacklist. They don't need to force people into something through force to be impositive. Make all media outlets endorse a viewpoint and leave no alternative ideologies do the same and there you have a dystopic impositive strategy to give only one option to the consumer. Pretty much their way or the highway.

4 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Good question. But hey, you can't accuse something of being an "agenda" without having an agenda. And I fail to see how anything a TV show does is "shoving it down your throats." Do they tie you to a chair and keep your eyelids peeled open, while giving you preferential stimulation? I think not.

"Pandering" used to be known as "marketing research," until folks like you started having a problem with it.

Well, Batwoman, comics in general, Doctor Who are not doing so hot right now despite the “marketing research” tho :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, Jesse Terrence said:

However, as far as I'm concerned, cartoons have always been prone to be used to brainwash people with political agendas. Is media used to impose an ideology, and that's on my blacklist. They don't need to force people into something through force to be impositive. Make all media outlets endorse a viewpoint and leave no alternative ideologies do the same and there you have a dystopic impositive strategy to give only one option to the consumer. Pretty much their way or the highway.

Eh, there's not much the media can do that one side or the other can't slam for being "propaganda" for one reason or another. Some people panicking about a "gay agenda" saw Elsa hiding in her room and thought, "Oh there it is, she's going to come out of the closet." Entertainment would be pretty damned boring if it released anything that was foolproof against such accusations, because nothing would ever happen in the story.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Well, Batwoman, comics in general, Doctor Who are not doing so hot right now despite the “marketing research” tho :fluttershy:

Fortunately we have things like Wonder Woman and Fury Road to tell you where you can shove your strawman argument that had nothing to do with what I said.

But alas, there's more to "fail" vs. "not fail" than whether or not it contains "thing you don't like." 'Ghostbusters 2016' didn't bomb because it was "woke." It wasn't because it had four women in the lead roles. It wasn't because of some coordinated attack by racists. It was because Paul Feig is a hack who doesn't know how to write anything besides angst and toilet humor, didn't give a crap about the IP, and thought he could reel in the audience with "girl power" alone, while clearly having no clue of how to properly present it on the screen.

"Aliens" for my money has the best Feminist character ever, and it's a film that almost everyone indiscriminately loves. I bet if it had been made today though, it would get accused of being "woke garbage" just the same.