Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unusual things that you find relaxing

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Many types of things can relax us. Everyone has their own version of this. Sometimes it can be simple every day things, other times it can be not so common stuff. 

Is there anything that is less than common that relaxes you? 

One thing for me is the guest ambience from Rollercoaster Tycoon. I've always found the game so relaxing to play and I think this was one of the big reasons. The ambience for whatever reason puts me at ease and actually helps me sleep. 

It is hard to explain why. Maybe it could be my experience with the game, maybe it is like a sort of white noise since there is basically nothing that can be properly made out in the sounds. 

• Brohoof 5

I like the sound of mains hum. There's a small transformer in my college classroom/lab room that makes so much noise people have complained about it lol, but I like it. 

Also like watching insects walk around, especially the big leaf-footed bugs around my house. They're super calm around people too, I've even had some climb on me which was fun.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Is there anything that is less than common that relaxes you? 

I find making signatures and answering questions in my numerous "Ask a Pony" topics relaxing. Being creative in general relaxes me, honestly. 

• Brohoof 2

Simply looking at liminal spaces. Usually people would look at these because they're supposedly "weirdly familiar" or makes them feel nostalgic, but none I come across ever feel familiar to me :Thorax:
I just think they look nice, especially dark, gloomy snowy ones. :catface:

Spoiler

35c97aeb2623c7bc5c914ecace7a6bcf1fb96a2f
5fa54b46c5266437da6c45be01443e82b49096ca
tumblr_p3n4336wlX1uo4apxo1_540.jpg

Edited by Gaines
  • Brohoof 1

Creaking of metal, like a ship shifting or a large hinge with a few hundred pounds of weight on it came to mind, but I think that falls under satisfying more than relaxing. Fireworks booming consistently in the distance though works for me. The stragglers on the 4th of July always soothe me to sleep.

• Brohoof 1

Sitting in a  tractor cab. It's just me and my thoughts. Phone sits in the cooler so I can selectively ignore it and we get a few decent music stations most of time time. Every now and then something happens to break up the monotony, but otherwise it is just me in a sea of dirt or grass, with the hum of the Diesel engine, the cab fan, and if it is warm, the AC system kicking on and off. Like being totally disconnected from the world and its troubles. 

• Brohoof 1

I find the process of palying hack-and-slash games very relaxing, when I don't focus on quests or finding cool gear, but simply destroy monsters and think about nothing.

• Brohoof 3

Rollercoaster Tycoon!  Ha!  I love it.  I was properly addicted to that for awhile in my early twenties.  I'm sure you already know this, Kyoshi, but that RoCo guest ambience track is freakin' EVERYWHERE.  It pops up constantly in tv and movies, almost as much as the pig farm sound from Warcraft II, or the shotgun guy dying in DOOM.

As for me, I find Warframe oddly relaxing.  It's, like, the most over the top, ridiculously insane, action packed action.  It's so insane that most of the time the screen is just a splattering of pixels like someone was shooting rainbow colored paintballs directly into your corneas.  But it's also mindless action that becomes second nature and can be played in your sleep.  I love to switch off the game sound and listen to podcasts while I play, usually Making Sense with Sam Harris.  It's such a comical juxtaposition to be committing mass genocide against cloned space marines and hordes of alien bugs with over the top super powers while listening to the most calming and thoughtful voice on Earth.  It's very relaxing to me.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  Frame & Sam.  I love it.

• Brohoof 2

One thing and one thing only:

ASMR.

Most people I know don't get it at all - but my brother introduced me to it years ago and WOW am I glad he did! There's certain types of ASMR that I don't care for, though. But I think that's pretty common.

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, CoconutCake said:

One thing and one thing only:

ASMR.

Most people I know don't get it at all - but my brother introduced me to it years ago and WOW am I glad he did! There's certain types of ASMR that I don't care for, though. But I think that's pretty common.

This.

I pretty much came here to say that. Most people I know irl don’t get it or like it but I really find it relaxing.

• Brohoof 1

Gaming podcasts and hours long videos, even if they involve lots of yelling.

I can even put on one of those Let's Endure videos of the DSP videos and it can get me into a deep sleep

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-08 at 10:52 PM, ExplosionMare said:

The clicking sound of a flashlight is very soothing to me

Its just very satisfying for me. I find myself doing it dozens of times before I put it down.

• Brohoof 1