Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Unusual things that you find relaxing

On 2021-02-08 at 5:01 PM, AmberRose said:

Unusual: Metal music. (not deathcore, or deathmetal etc, but like power metal)
Maybe not so unusual: the sound of rain and distant storms

Metal music (as well as most other types of music) relax me a lot. A big factor is that I often rock back and forth in a rhythm when I am sitting and if I am listening to music, I tap into the beat of it and go along with it. I think that is one of my many autistic stims.

On 2021-02-08 at 9:26 PM, SharpWit said:

Creaking of metal, like a ship shifting or a large hinge with a few hundred pounds of weight on it came to mind, but I think that falls under satisfying more than relaxing. Fireworks booming consistently in the distance though works for me. The stragglers on the 4th of July always soothe me to sleep.

This is interesting because I like the same sort of thing. I like the sound of creaking metal and especially creaking wood, stuff like that. I don't know why. It is satisfying to hear. Also the sound of, this may sound weird, leather material? If that makes any sense at all. Not in a kink sorta way. That's a difficult one to describe. 

19 minutes ago, Megas said:

Gaming podcasts and hours long videos, even if they involve lots of yelling.

I can even put on one of those Let's Endure videos of the DSP videos and it can get me into a deep sleep

I often enjoy listening to videos in the background while playing a racing game or a Warriors title. That gives me a sense of "full sensory occupation" and it is very nice. I need to do that again. I used to do that all the time. 

On 2021-02-09 at 9:12 AM, Oleks said:

I find the process of palying hack-and-slash games very relaxing, when I don't focus on quests or finding cool gear, but simply destroy monsters and think about nothing.

The Warriors games are perfect for this and is one of my favorite chill out game series. 

On 2021-02-08 at 6:11 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

I find making signatures and answering questions in my numerous "Ask a Pony" topics relaxing. Being creative in general relaxes me, honestly. 

I think this might be similar to the sensory occupation I mentioned. Perhaps when the mind is fully occupied and it is for something we enjoy, that can be really soothing.

Another strange thing that I find soothing is very articulated speech. As in, someone speaking English (usually in Britain) and very clearly pronouncing each syllable and thus hearing the sound of each of them clearly as well, especially if they are using many words not normally used in casual conversation. Something about hearing my native tongue being spoken in a very articulated manner fires off the pleasure nodes in me brain. Again, could be an autistic stim of mine. I have a lot of those. 

• Brohoof 3

Register now to remove this ad.
(edited)

I like the sound of freight train horns. When I hear them at night it helps me relax and fall asleep. I also like snow and cold places. I don't get much snow where I live now, but I used to love walking in it when I lived up north where there was some seriously frigid temps. Being just a little uncomfortable like that is pleasant to me for some reason. 

Edited by Narcissus

ASMR

Not sure how "Unusual" it is but almost everyone I've ever met either doesn't know what it is, hates it, or thinks it's weird.

One-shotting LRM boats in MechWarrior Online. See how they like 80 rockets to the ass. Feels great for me, and restores fun to the game for my entire team since they don't have to spend the whole match hiding behind cover or getting torn to shreds by an enemy they can't see.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure why but I find war/battlefield soundscapes on Youtube very relaxing. Maybe just because there is a lot going on and it's easy to drown out my own thoughts with more chaotic sounds. 

I just recently got into listening to ASMRs, especially when you listen to it in high volume. My favorite are the crashing chocolates and natures ones. So relaxing.