Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friends System

Jeric

Friends are back!

For those that can recall when we first upgraded to IPB 4, one feature was removed and replaced by a social media influenced follow system. This is a forum based around a brand that is all about personal relationships, and the loss of a fully functioning Friendship system felt like a downgrade. Friends just simply feels different than following.  I have even been a bit blunt about Invision when people mentioned this. I can not take credit for finding the application that replicated it. That’s all on @Twilight Sparkle  .... that one ... he did a good! 

The friend system is pretty self explanatory. You can request to be a friend, accept requests, etc. You will find it in the new Friends Tab on your profile. 

:ButtercupLaugh:

Also Princess Founderpants also fixed another IPB 4 change that bothered some old timers. You should immediately see it if you pop in to your profile. 

I had to post this because @Sparklefan1234 already found the system :P

• Brohoof 19

Way to go Feld! This feature has been sorely missed. Looks like 3 years and 10 months of patience has finally paid off. :yay:

Also, that's uhh... right front and center. I should probably get rid of that eagle finally. :sealed:

• Brohoof 7

• This topic was featured and pinned
12 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

So, it's like the "Followers" section of our profiles but it's easier to navigate? 

No. Followers are people who want to see what you post. Friends require both people to agree to follow each other. There is also a psychological difference. Feature wise users have no control over who follows you, however you have complete control over your friend requests. 

If you couldn't tell I despise the Followers System when it replaced Friends. Now they both have a purpose. 

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Friends require both people to agree to follow each other.

And you're sure this won't cause hurt feelings or anger if someone denies a friend request? :lie:

Great news. Follower just didn't feel very mutual or have that "acknowledgement" from the other person that you're welcome to be friends (I suppose they could just not follow back, or follow back if yes). At least now they're sort of asked to respond to that inquiry, to which they may respond or just ignore as an acknowledgment.

Good to have both options in case x person may just want to follow but not necessarily have to be friends with them to get updates.

Maybe it's all just semantics. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 4

Moments ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

And you're sure this won't cause hurt feelings or anger if someone denies a friend request? :lie:

I'm sure it will cause some people anxiety. If we managed everything based on what might upset people we wouldn't have emoticons, reactions, image allowances, special badges, etc. I expect people to be people. I also know you Sparkle. You gunna accept every request ::P

• Brohoof 6

35 minutes ago, Jeric said:

'm sure it will cause some people anxiety. If we managed everything based on what might upset people we wouldn't have emoticons, reactions, image allowances, special badges, etc. I expect people to be people.

I understand. Thank You for easing my mind a bit, BFFFF. :rarity:

35 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I also know you Sparkle. You gunna accept every request ::P

I accepted yours, didn't I? :laugh:/:blink:/:mlp_smug: JK.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

This is probably a stupid question, but, where to we go to ask a person to friend us?

Do you see that little figure icon to the left of  search feature (magnifying glass)?

Screenshot_20210208-223940.thumb.png.f6007b04040b6ce07ddc3138397e03ee.png

that is where your friends list would be and it should have an add new friend button on it.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Do you see that little figure icon to the left of  search feature (magnifying glass)?

Screenshot_20210208-223940.thumb.png.f6007b04040b6ce07ddc3138397e03ee.png

that is where your friends list would be and it should have an add new friend button on it.

I'm not on mobile.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found where it is on pc version. I do wish it had been explained better in the first post one where to find the feature.

Edited by MidnightFire1222
  • Brohoof 1

@Sparklefan1234

If you intended to make friends with me just know that I was asleep when you send out the friend request and would have gladly accept the request if it was still on my request pending menu when I woke up just a few minutes ago

• Brohoof 2

@MidnightFire1222

I noticed that 8 hours ago you sent a friend request to me and I intended to friend you when I noticed the notification but I can't find your name on my request pending list. And if I already did accept your friend request, your name's not popping up on the list even when I do a search for your name.

EDIT: I looked under the friend tab on my profile and you're there. so yeah we ARE friends and yet your name doesn't pop up when I use the search bar in the friend list. I wonder if it's some kind of glitch?

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

Is there a way to have a scroll-down menu so we can see all of our friends at once? Some of them don’t appear unless I search for them.

I agree I had to use the search window to insure that the people who accepted my friend request was on my list. If I didn't get a notification saying that they accepted my friend request I would have thought they didn't even see my request.

and in my case even if somebody is friends with me and their name is under the front half of my profile they still won't pop up in that little window even if I search for their name

• Brohoof 3

45 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

@Sparklefan1234

If you intended to make friends with me just know that I was asleep when you send out the friend request and would have gladly accept the request if it was still on my request pending menu when I woke up just a few minutes ago

Sorry, I'll see if I can fix it. (Accept your friend request.) 

• Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Jeric I found a feature where you can limit who views your profile and I'm trying to find it again, where is it? Thank You for answering my question. 

It’s being removed. That is not something we want on this site. 

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

Is there a way to have a scroll-down menu so we can see all of our friends at once? Some of them don’t appear unless I search for them.

54 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

@MidnightFire1222

I noticed that 8 hours ago you sent a friend request to me and I intended to friend you when I noticed the notification but I can't find your name on my request pending list. And if I already did accept your friend request, your name's not popping up on the list even when I do a search for your name.

EDIT: I looked under the friend tab on my profile and you're there. so yeah we ARE friends and yet your name doesn't pop up when I use the search bar in the friend list. I wonder if it's some kind of glitch?

I agree I had to use the search window to insure that the people who accepted my friend request was on my list. If I didn't get a notification saying that they accepted my friend request I would have thought they didn't even see my request.

and in my case even if somebody is friends with me and their name is under the front half of my profile they still won't pop up in that little window even if I search for their name

The menu icon is supposed to be for quick actions and recent information by design. The Friend tab in your profile is where all the main features of system reside. 

• Brohoof 4