Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Mandalorian star Gina Carano fired from Lucasfilm

Luigi

LucasFilm has announced that they have tossed actress Gina Carano from her role as Cara Dune from the Mandalorian following racist and anti semitic remarks on social media. The company has announced that they will engage in no further business with Carano. 

I have yet to see Mandalorian, but I’m glad LucasFilm did this. This is very similar to the events that happened two years ago when Vic Mignogna was called out by countless women for sexual harassment and then immediately blacklisted by the entire voice acting industry. I’ve noticed some of the same people who defend Vic trying to defend Carano. I dunno how everyone here feels, but I can’t wait to see who LucasFilm casts for Cara Dune to replace Carano

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Consequences. She brought this upon herself. 

My point exactly. She said more than what I already covered, and I don’t even want to talk about it here because it’s very disturbing 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Consequences. She brought this upon herself. 

Firing someone from their job because they stated an opinion a few people may disagree with it or are offended by it is extremely petty and imo pretty dumb.

• Brohoof 6

Moments ago, Eren Jaeger said:

My point exactly. She said more than what I already covered, and I don’t even want to talk about it here because it’s very disturbing 

She was warned numerous times by her talent agency and Disney, yet continued to cause trouble. Moreover, she refused to walk back or dial down said troublesome behavior. Carano has the freedom to say what she wants, but the company also has the freedom to chose whether or not they want to associate with her. 

Moments ago, Nsxile said:

Firing someone from their job because they stated an opinion a few people may disagree with it or are offended by it is extremely petty and imo pretty dumb.

Freedom works both ways. She has the right to say what she wants and espouse her views. However, the people who work with her and employ her have the freedom to decide whether or not they want to associate with her.

• Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, Nsxile said:

It’s not that simple. The United States is an employment at will country. What Carano got tossed for was not exempt from said doctrine

I often set aside her personal things and drama away from her work. I liked her as Cara and her performances as this characters. I was disappointed that it has to end like this and my only hope is for them to find a worthy replacement for her and who can take on a role as Cara, since I really like the character. It would be shame to toss that character out the window. 

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Likewise, her now-ex–employers brought #CancelDisneyPlus upon themselves.

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

Likewise, her now-ex–employers brought #CancelDisneyPlus upon themselves.

That’s just another one of those childish twitter hashtags that don’t even have a chance at success

When Funimation fired Vic Mignogna, some people called out they would boycott Funimation in thinking it would drive them out of business. It didn’t. Likewise, Disney would not shut down DisneyPlus over a childish hashtag with a childish motive

Edited by Eren Jaeger

1 hour ago, Eren Jaeger said:

That’s just another one of those childish twitter hashtags that don’t even have a chance at success

When Funimation fired Vic Mignogna, some people called out they would boycott Funimation in thinking it would drive them out of business. It didn’t. Likewise, Disney would not shut down DisneyPlus over a childish hashtag with a childish motive

Nobody thinks Disney is going to shut Disney+ or go bankrupt as as the result of this.  The whole hashtag thing is just a way for people to express their displeasure at Disney's behaviour.  After all, if you are not happy with the way a company conducts its business then you are well within your rights to withold your business from that company.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

Nobody thinks Disney is going to shut Disney+ or go bankrupt as as the result of this.  The whole hashtag thing is just a way for people to express their displeasure at Disney's behaviour.  After all, if you are not happy with the way a company conducts its business then you are well within your rights to withold your business from that company.

You would at least hope that’s their actual motive behind the hashtags. I get what you’re saying, but I’ve seen some people who are dumb enough to actually think it’ll work in that way

Apparently she has had a history of saying this kind of stupid shit. She was warned before and frankly she is lucky she wasn't tossed aside immediately on her first offenses. This time? She only has herself to blame. This doesn't concern me much as I am anti-Modern Disney and avoid it like a plague, but seeing a stupid person get what they deserve is always nice to see.

• Brohoof 2

Usually I argue against this whole “cancel culture” thing. There’s been several cases of eye rolling overreactions and witch hunts over the last few years.

But that’s really not the case here. It should be common sense that if you make insensitive comments about something like the Holocaust, you can expect a (fully justified) backlash from both the public and your employers. She only has herself to blame here.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer
  • Brohoof 3

It appears that many people here who are saying she did something wrong have not actually seen the post that got her fired, instead taking it at face value from the media that what she supposedly said was wrong. For the record I don't really care about anything Disney or Starwars related, though I feel that there needs to be some real clarity about what's going here to keep other posters in this thread from coming off with the wrong impression about what happened. Below I will post a video by PJW where he breaks down exactly what she's being accused of and why it's not right. It gets very political, and honestly this thread is probably going to get political too so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets shut down here. :maud:

Spoiler

Watch the video and then think about what is apparently happening, is what she's being accused of actually true? :wau:

• Brohoof 6

Regardless of whether what she said was actually as bad as people make it out to be, the company she worked for has every right to fire her. Firing a person for causing controversy and espousing political views a company disagrees with isn't against any laws as far as I know. 

People are free to express their opinions online about this and vote with their wallets, but I doubt any backlash from the firing will hit Disney very hard. They're already pretty much made of money and that's not going to change anytime soon. 

And if anyone wants to make up their own mind over what she said, I'd look directly at her statements, rather than what either media or a biased source says.

Nope.

Company fires star because they felt it would help their bottom line and be more in line with their PR and brand. 

Anything beyond that delves into politics. 

/thread

• Brohoof 2

• The topic was locked