Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo Direct 2/17/2021

Megas

I guess, in regards to Super Smash Bros, I was just glad for two things.

~A first party character instead of some random third party character that has nothing to do with Nintendo.

~The segment only lasted around five minutes. I totally expected more like twenty minutes. Thank goodness. But Nintendo didn't have much to show in the Direct either way, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

That game looks sooooooooooooooooo good, if the word "good" actually meant horrible that is. Forgot about the show it is based off of. If the show is anything like what the game described, then that is several oofs rolled into one. If I can say one thing positive though, it honestly still doesn't seem anywhere near as soullesly corporate as the Avengers game. 

Decided to watch the trailer again and honestly i don’t think it looks that bad, it’s grown on me. Apparently Nintendo is actually publishing it themselves which would probably explain why they gave it spotlight. If it turns out AKI is the developer I think they might have something here. I don’t think it’ll be as good as Ultimate Alliance 3(which I enjoyed quite a bit) but I don’t think it’ll be that bad either 

The worst game they showed off was Star Wars Hunters, both on virtue of it being by Zynga and because we already know Republic Commando is on its way and we’re kind of expecting that instead 

Some thoughts:

-I'm happy to see Fall Guys being ported to the Switch, have the game on PC and it's pretty fun.

-I'm somewhat interested in World's End Club as a fan of sidescrollers and narrative-heavy indie games.

-Skyward Sword HD looks neat, I'm glad it's being re-released and playable without motion controls, but at the same time, $60 for a 10 year old game... seriously?

-Splatoon 3 looks interesting

Meh, good thing I’ve decided to not skip work for this. It was rather underwhelming. Starting for being the year and month for Zelda’s 35th anniversary, and only Zelda related things shown were the season pass of AoC, and SSHD. I’m interested on the season pass of AoC, but I’m passing on SS. Never played it on WII, but that game remains unappealing. I may play it if my brother buys it, since he’s shown interest, but I’m not wasting my own money on it >_>

I dunno why the long presentation of Super Hero Girls. I haven’t visualized it to be that good, but hey, pleasant surprises happened :mlp_icwudt:. Anyway, it was nice listening Twi Twi narrating it tho :ticking:

however, most games I’m mildly interested in are too far away from release date to be excited by. I think only Bravely Default II is releasing soon. Otherwise I got my eye on Ninja Gaiden collection, NMH3, that tactical game of three paths, the remake of that Mana game may interest me, the Famincon Detective Club games. I don’t recall anything too interesting to me. Sad for Fallguys and Splatoon 3. Sure they are fun, but I’m no online gamer

in conclusion, it was pretty boring for being the first Direct since forever, and during an important milestone didn’t help 

Edited by Steve Piranha

Splatoon 3 absolutely has me hyped as heck! As soon as that trailer hit, my friends and I on my Twitch friend's Discord server were all in a voice chat call and we all popped off loudly! :ph3ar: Though I screamed like a hyped madman the loudest. xD

The only absolutely awful part was the Skyward Sword "HD" part. My reasonings:

• It constantly bombards the player with Fi's reminders, as well as popups that happen whenever you pick up an item;
  • Has the single worst sidekick in all of Zelda's history as a franchise;
  • Has the worst-looking art ever;
  • Sold extremely poorly compared to games like Ocarina and BOTW;
  • Has the worst controls for a Zelda title;
  • Has the worst bosses I'd ever seen for a Zelda game;
  • Its so-called "HD remaster port" is so lazily, barely barebones, and awful-looking "upscaling" is all they'll ever do to this 10-year-old failure of a game.
  • 3.67 mil sales globally (352k in just Japan and 2.03m for NA) for a home console Zelda "game" is laughably bad, admit it.
  • Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild vastly outsold it by a country mile at 21.43 mil globally (1.26 mil in Japan and 4.54 mil in NA) and is way more loved and enjoyed. Yes, BOTW has problems, but Skyward Sword outnumbers BOTW in the problems department that I just listed.

If that wasn't convincing enough, then maybe listing info about the game as a whole from the "Development of Zelda" page from Zelda Wiki will be a deciding factor:

• "Producer Eiji Aonuma would later confirm that criticism of Skyward Sword's linear structure and lack of exploration had directly resulted in the development of Breath of the Wild."
  • "Skyward Sword had been released the year prior with one of the largest marketing campaigns in Nintendo's history and only sold 3.6 million units worldwide—far less than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and also coming up short of The Wind Waker."
  • "The game stirred controversy among The Legend of Zelda's audience in the west through its linearity, excessive tutorials, and lack of an overworld. Skyward Sword was a game that didn't cater to any single audience particularly well—veteran gamers in the west or more casual gamers in Japan. Negative feedback for the game would make the development team re-examine the Zelda series' identity once more, as they had done following the release of The Wind Waker."
  • "Skyward Sword didn't know who it was designed for, neither capturing the exploratory essence of Zelda nor appealing to Nintendo's casual audience."
  • "Following the release of Skyward Sword, series producer Eiji Aonuma learnt that players weren't happy with the linear, restrictive nature of the game."

Other than that, there was nothing else of interest for me!

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, OctoAori20 said:

Splatoon 3 absolutely has me hyped as heck! As soon as that trailer hit, my friends and I on my Twitch friend's Discord server were all in a voice chat call and we all popped off loudly! :ph3ar: Though I screamed like a hyped madman the loudest. xD

The only absolutely awful part was the Skyward Sword "HD" part. My reasonings:

• It constantly bombards the player with Fi's reminders, as well as popups that happen whenever you pick up an item;
  • Has the single worst sidekick in all of Zelda's history as a franchise;
  • Has the worst-looking art ever;
  • Sold extremely poorly compared to games like Ocarina and BOTW;
  • Has the worst controls for a Zelda title;
  • Has the worst bosses I'd ever seen for a Zelda game;
  • Its so-called "HD remaster port" is so lazily, barely barebones, and awful-looking "upscaling" is all they'll ever do to this 10-year-old failure of a game.
  • 3.67 mil sales globally (352k in just Japan and 2.03m for NA) for a home console Zelda "game" is laughably bad, admit it.
  • Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild vastly outsold it by a country mile at 21.43 mil globally (1.26 mil in Japan and 4.54 mil in NA) and is way more loved and enjoyed. Yes, BOTW has problems, but Skyward Sword outnumbers BOTW in the problems department that I just listed.

If that wasn't convincing enough, then maybe listing info about the game as a whole from the "Development of Zelda" page from Zelda Wiki will be a deciding factor:

• "Producer Eiji Aonuma would later confirm that criticism of Skyward Sword's linear structure and lack of exploration had directly resulted in the development of Breath of the Wild."
  • "Skyward Sword had been released the year prior with one of the largest marketing campaigns in Nintendo's history and only sold 3.6 million units worldwide—far less than Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and also coming up short of The Wind Waker."
  • "The game stirred controversy among The Legend of Zelda's audience in the west through its linearity, excessive tutorials, and lack of an overworld. Skyward Sword was a game that didn't cater to any single audience particularly well—veteran gamers in the west or more casual gamers in Japan. Negative feedback for the game would make the development team re-examine the Zelda series' identity once more, as they had done following the release of The Wind Waker."
  • "Skyward Sword didn't know who it was designed for, neither capturing the exploratory essence of Zelda nor appealing to Nintendo's casual audience."
  • "Following the release of Skyward Sword, series producer Eiji Aonuma learnt that players weren't happy with the linear, restrictive nature of the game."

Other than that, there was nothing else of interest for me!

XD, dodged a bullet with SS. I had enough to with the WII after Mario Galaxy 2 :mlp_icwudt:. Even having the chance, I still refuse to waste money on SS. I’ll play it if my brother is interested enough on it’s story to buy it himself. But my wallet will be far away from that game >_>