Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games with the most complicated story you played?

Vefka

What are the games you've played that made your brain hurt?

For me the most complicated game series is Metal Gear. I haven't played all games, but I watched story explanation (and still understood about a half of it)

Another series is Hotline Miami. The story isn't that complicated, but it's really hard to get it while playing (mainly because of timelines jumps)

• Brohoof 2

Definitely Bioshock. I played the first game and despite collecting all the audio recordings and listening to the dialogue, I didn't understand anything at first. I mean, I had to look up the character, Jack, just to find out he's the son of Andrew Ryan. 

Even after looking it up, it seems all the timelines people have made are completely out of order, and the only things everyone seems to know is that our player in the first game was Andrew's son, that Brigid Tenenbaums diagnosis of ADHD led to her career in science and biogenetics, and Andrew somehow gathered a lot of money during the Great Depression to build an underwater empire. That's about it, though. Nobody had figured out how Rapture, was built, how it had went into chaos, or how Fontaine managed to create a business, without his true identity being found out.

It seems to me like the Bioshock fandom (myself included) is really bad at figuring storylines out, or it's just one of those games that require multiple sequels and prequels. Even if I don't understand the timeline, it's still such a beautiful and aesthetically satisfying game for it's time, though.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely all the FNAF games. The story went from a small creepy pasta about evil robots and five vengeful kids to a whole slew of different things. I still love it, but I just wish that some of the later games weren’t as cryptic. 

• Brohoof 3

The Metal Gear games can get pretty confusing though at some point it was really obvious they were just making up shit as it goes along(MGS4).
MGS2 though is pretty good, definitely very confusing until you start putting everything together. It's one imo that's actually gotten more relevant over time

• Brohoof 1

The 3rd birthday on the psp.

Between time travels, body swaping and butterfly effects you get lost easily. Add up you need to beat it more than once to actually get the ending.

Another one is kingdom hearts. Final fantasy + disney seems easy to understand, but there are precuels and games in between and some events they don't merely reveal right away and leave some cliffhangers.

I'd say metal gear solid, though the hard part is to sit through the hours of cinematics :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

I played a bit of a little game called Singularity, and that game's story gets complicated with the temporal back and forth. With all the stuff involving E99, time travel, being an alternate history where the Soviets performed an experiment on an island and it went horribly wrong...

Also, the story of the Fallout franchise has some complications as well, and a lot of theories surrounding it and it's surprisingly bulky on story when you read terminals and look around the open worlds of the series.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 has a complicated story for a Nintendo game I guess also.

• Brohoof 1

Virtue's Last Reward has a pretty complex story, made even more confusing due to time travel shenanigans involved. You eventually reach that one point where you get that one piece that makes everything make sense, but up until that point I had almost no idea what was going on.

• Brohoof 1

Kingdom Hearts must have the most convoluted storyline of any series ever made. Years later I’m still having trouble figuring out what it’s all about.

I also have to credit Clannad, for literally including more text than the entire Harry Potter book series (seriously, look it up if you think I’m exaggerating).

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-22 at 6:15 AM, ExplosionMare said:

Definitely all the FNAF games. The story went from a small creepy pasta about evil robots and five vengeful kids to a whole slew of different things. I still love it, but I just wish that some of the later games weren’t as cryptic. 

Oh my god yes! I remember how messy and how the lores and the theories were all over the places, and fans going about “no you’re wrong, I’m right” back and forth :ButtercupLaugh: I think the novels helped it a lot though!

Aside from that, Bloodborne and Dark Souls, they make you feel you understand the lores but in reality you are more lost than ever. However the Bloodborne comics did help clear things out a bit. As for Dark souls.. it’s an open book.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, TBD said:

Oh my god yes! I remember how messy and how the lores and the theories were all over the places, and fans going about “no you’re wrong, I’m right” back and forth :ButtercupLaugh: I think the novels helped it a lot though!

Aside from that, Bloodborne and Dark Souls, they make you feel you understand the lores but in reality you are more lost than ever. However the Bloodborne comics did help clear things out a bit. As for Dark souls.. it’s an open book.

I will forever love that a FNAF activity book has solved more lore than pretty much anything else :ButtercupLaugh: I can’t imagine any other fandom taking an activity book near as seriously

On 2021-02-27 at 8:45 PM, ExplosionMare said:

I will forever love that a FNAF activity book has solved more lore than pretty much anything else :ButtercupLaugh: I can’t imagine any other fandom taking an activity book near as seriously

Yeah right? They do a lot more explaining than the game itself partly due to other writers other then Scott himself. Although hopefully the new FnaF game will have more clearer story! But it’s sucks it’s only for PS and PC and I have neither:blush: however the story for this game seems to be redundant and reuse except we have a female version of purple guy. And purple guy isn’t really gone but his soul still lingers even though  I don’t know how many time we have to get rid of this guy. I kinda wish Scott could’ve bring something new on the table.

• 3 weeks later...

The Legacy of Kain series. The amount of time travel and constant outmaneuvering of everyone by everyone else is insane. Although I guess Dark Souls counts as well, given how deliberately vague the games are about everything.

• 8 months later...