Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 horse art style may have been revealed

Steve Piranha

image.thumb.png.151572260b12b227932894f99bd84ea0.png

we see three ponies in a completely art style in a soon to come licensed merchandise by a fabric company. It seems to be releasing in September, same month of G5 releasing as far as it was officially reported

Source: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/02/rumor-licensed-mlp-bedding-shows-off.html

950-my-little-pony-mlp119-1.png

• Brohoof 2

Interesting. You may be correct in suspecting this to be G5, although I personally don't find the visual style here, while kind of cute, to be particularly appealing, particularly the shape and proportions of the face - they're kind of trapped in an uncanny valley between more horse-like (squarer, more prominent muzzles) and more human-like (particularly the shape of the faces) features combined to create a simultaneously bland and obtuse style lacking in the streamlined elegance of G4's visual designs. I...don't know what else to say here.

Edited by Them's Seeing Ponies
  • Brohoof 6

5 minutes ago, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

Interesting. You may be correct in suspecting this to be G5, although I personally don't find the visual style here, while kind of cute, to be particularly appealing, particularly the shape and proportions of the face - they're kind of trapped in an uncanny valley between more horse-like (squarer, more prominent muzzles) and more human-like (particularly the shape of the faces) features combined to create a simultaneously bland and obtuse style lacking in the streamlined elegance of G4's visual designs. I...don't know what else to say here.

I guess they wanted to go with a mixture of G4's style and the gens before it.

• Brohoof 1

Something feels off, I just can't quite place it. Maybe its the open mouthed stare, I dunno. I do like the hooves though.

The characters look interesting though, if these end up as the new protagonists, I could get used to it.

Edited by Crunchypuff
  • Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Kharrnix said:

I like the character designs but their faces look really awkward and strange. It doesn't have nearly as much appeal as the art in G4, that's for sure

26 minutes ago, Crunchypuff said:

Something feels off, I just can't quite place it. Maybe its the open mouthed stare, I dunno. I do like the hooves though.

The characters look interesting though, if these end up as the new protagonists, I could get used to it.

I do agree they have minor uncanny valley elements there. But I think because they all have the same expressions. Understandable, other than this (and assuming they are indeed the main characters), there’s no other officially shown image of any of them so far.

bu the way, the middle pony seems to be the same one from the recently seen animatic

image.jpeg.65238917c0c21682818b1493a504d50c.jpeg

• Brohoof 2

Oh Ive seen them dancing and singing. Looked nice.. I don't really believe it though. That one looks like Scootalloo. No? Okay then.

Edited by RDDash

I am sorry, but I think at the moment, it does not look good.

I might be too used to the G4 designs right now, so maybe if the new G5 airs and it is legit good, maybe my opinion will change.

The G5 design just doesn't look right, in my opinion.

:eww:

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I do agree they have minor uncanny valley elements there. But I think because they all have the same expressions. Understandable, other than this (and assuming they are indeed the main characters), there’s no other officially shown image of any of them so far.

bu the way, the middle pony seems to be the same one from the recently seen animatic

image.jpeg.65238917c0c21682818b1493a504d50c.jpeg

noticed that too. plus she is the middle pony of the trio. this tells me that she is most likely the main character of G5.

The designs on the inside of the blanket look better than the bigger ones on the front and pillow. But it still gives me some G3.5 vibes.

Stock images don't typically do characters justice in merchandise and as EQD mentioned, there's almost a night and day difference between the toys we get and the characters in the show. Remember what the Equestria girls dolls first looked like?  

I dunno. Sorta feels like a step backwards. Like they can't top G4 so why even try? Heck, the ponies from the Midnight Mares series look better than this. 

• Brohoof 2

As LittleshyFIM said on his Twitter, this is more than likely a 2D stylized version of the ponies specifically for merchandise, the actual final look of the ponies in the movie/show will probably look more 3D like. As such, going off from what we have now, I'll say that the designs are rather disappointing for me. They're not horrible, but I don't really like them either? I think their faces/heads look too much like G3 ponies to me, and I don't really like that. I also don't really understand the different horn/wing colors either, they don't really contribute in a good way to the overall design of the pony. Their eyes also look very dead to me like their soulless or something :laugh: Also they're all pink, like, come on :please: I think making them all look so similar through their pink colors doesn't help to really differentiate them from each other. I guess I'm just disappointed that they all look so.... generic. Here's two photos of the same pony from the merch leak, with the one on the left being from the merch and the one on the right being from a fandom artists improvement of their facial features, which one looks better? Wouldn't you much rather prefer the one on the right? Compare the eyes of the two images and you'll see what I mean with the one on the left looking very dead inside and the one on the right having a lot more life to it :ooh:  

Spoiler

ImageImage

Again though, this design is only more than likely for basic official merch, as even the ponies of G4 looked very different from how they were in the show and how they appeared in some merchandise. I hope that these deigns work and look a lot better in the 3D animation style they're aiming for with this new generation, and that this weird vaguely G3 style isn't what they're aiming for in the movie/show itself :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

Assuming these ponies are going to be important to the movie at least, if not g5 as a whole, can anyone tell what their cutie marks are? The unicorn seems to have a heart with a button on it and pins sticking out, which indicates some sort of sewing thing, but I cant tell what the others have.

Screenshot (87).png

If the middle one IS the star, then that’s cool, since she’s an Earth pony.

But what’s up with the horns and wings? Like I understand an animal’s horns not matching it’s fur, but the pegasus’ wings are a different color from her body.

• Brohoof 5