Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP G5 Movie (2021) Screenshot and Plot Revealed!

Mrs. Prospector

• The title was changed to MLP G5 Movie (2021) Screenshot and Plot Revealed!

It looks like she has what appears a relatively modern clock radio.

I do not know what to think about the figures and cutie marks of G4 characters. I really hope we get an explanation for that (whether they all are still alive or just famous historic figures).

I also really hope that the movie (and the show) will not be full of real-world politics. 

OTOH, the more I look at the screenshot, the pony loks more and more like she's made of plastic. Hopefully they change the design - I'm sure with modern technology it is possible to make her look more "real".

• Brohoof 1

Ummm............... :blink:

I don't know what to say about that, it looks different. :lie: If this is Sunny on that picture if I do not mistake, she almost looks like an adult Scootaloo but in an earth pony form. But I see some of the mane 6 figurine, Rainbow Dash cutie mark, Twilight's cutie mark, Fluttershy's cutie mark and Celestia's cutie mark, which is really awesome at least that they didn't forgot about them. :pinkie: But hope it doesn't include modern technology or something like that, cuz it really doesn't fits in Equestria... :sealed:

Though, it still makes me think: It is officially, I mean it is really true? :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was pinned

*Equestria has lost its magic.*

Twilight:

MAIN_MLP.png.7f1c13f80477811a3696efba007b3850.png

But seriously.
Everyone looks at the synopsis under the prism of the end of the 4th generation, but no one thinks that this is a new generation. New story, new lore. And all that remains of the 4th generation is the place where the events take place - Equestria, and most likely this is other Equestria, and Easter eggs on gen4.

Or as a last resort, events take place very, very far in the future where g4 is nothing more than a forgotten tale.

Edited by DozelRhine

Hm.. I'm loving the style so far! It's really giving me Disney vibes, and I love the amount of detail they put into it! Way better than that bedsheet, tbh. I wonder if this takes place centuries after Twilights rule.. I mean, considering there's Twilight merch?
Also 'making friends out of old villains'... could it be Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy, or are there other villains we had but never saw again? OR are they planning on adding older Gen villains to this?

Equestria without magic... This could take place in the far off future, where Twilight isn't ruler anymore. Something must've happened to make it that way. Either Equestria has forgotten about the Mane Six and believe them ro be stories (with Sunny being the only one who believes), or they have something big planned for this.

There's just so much potential and I love it already! As long as the animation itself is as detailed and fluid as the background and design, I won't be complaining at all!

Edited by Neoeryn
  • Brohoof 2

I prefer 2D but it doesn't look bad at all, I think I can get used to it. 

Interesting synopsis, but it does bring tons of questions, if this indeed the exact continuation from fim and not like a reference to that then what happened. I hope there won't be phones and things like that here although some improvement in technology will be fine. Also, the fact that the main hero is an earth pony brings me joy...:kirin:

Looks interesting, looking forward to more details :ticking:

This is much more in line with the 2017 leaks than I initially thought it would be. It seems they just scrapped the use of the six characters from G4. Also it seems that hasbro are still sticking to the plan of CGI film and 2D animated series as there has been official 2D artwork of these characters leaked (I won't post it here but it's not hard to find). The characters are noticeably less cutesy than what was seen in G4. This seems to line up with Hasbro's intention to market this to an older audience. We also see some new naming conventions. With two of the characters' names being "Sunny" and "Izzy" respectively. These names come off as something you'd see in the real world rather than "Twilight" or "Rainbow". I would have preferred it if they had just come up with more original names that only exist within their world but these will do. 

The design features more horse-like proportions and features. Although the nose is in a mid way position between Gen 4 and an actual pony. It certainly gives off the impression that more people than young girls can enjoy this. Not only that but the colours in the 2D artwork are more muted. It doesn't have that sharp and bright colouring of much of 2010s animation and overall I like it. It's a nice change of pace after a decade of bright colouring. My only concern is what Equestria itself looks like. In the screenshot of the film we can see more textured and realistic looking objects rather than the more fantasy feel of G4. Something I'm not a big fan as I generally only enjoy stories which feel disconnected from our own world. 

The storyline actually sounds really good. It certainly removes my doubts over the diversity and inclusion line included in the press release. It seems to suggest that it may have been more of a marketing ploy less than something we'll actually get in the film. The idea of a now disconnected world seems to help with them going for a more serious tone whilst not going into full on middle-earth territory. Overall I feel like this could be the show Lauren Faust originally wanted to make. Certainly much closer to it. In other words exactly what I and so many other former fans of G4 wanted. Will definitely watch come September.

Edited by chirox the pony
  • Brohoof 5

After reading the more negative Posts on here, it actually gave me depression.

However, this new G5 Style looks fantastic! Like someone else already said, it looks like Disney, what else can you do? It looks like a big budget film and an improvement over previous 3D Efforts.

I also like the Story so far, it sounds interesting. We will get a new set of characters in a new century of Equestria. For me that makes the world of Equestria just bigger and more real, instead of staying in the same timeline with the same characters for all eternity, that some other fans apparently want.

I am one of the seemingly rare people that actually like to see something new and i cant be more excited for this film. :squee:

Also, if this is supposed to be Hasbros answer to Filly Funtasia than i have to congratulate them, they pretty much nailed the 3D Design.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, chirox the pony said:

It certainly removes my doubts over the diversity and inclusion line included in the press release. It seems to suggest that it may have been more of a marketing ploy less than something we'll actually get in the film.

I do not want to get my hopes up too much. That can still come out in the movie or in the actual show.

I like the names though. G4 names were weird - too many coincidences for it to feel real.

I like the 2D G5 style, at least from what I have seen, but not the plastic 3D style.

1 minute ago, Reason for Cancellation said:

We will get a new set of characters in a new century of Equestria.

I would probably prefer if it was completely separate universe, instead of, essentially saying that either Twilight messed up or there was some huge disaster that pretty much destroyed the G4 world. But, maybe this would be good too.

That's a lot to digest.  It's one of those strange situations that by revealing more information it actually becomes more cloudy.  The still image doesn't look too terrible, but the importance is going to come from the animation itself.  What kind of facial movements and expressions do they have access to.  Being the difference between a Kinder animation and Pixar isn't necessarily a still image, but how everything is animated.  A trailer would have been lovely with the synopsis reveal.  We saw some 3D animation with their Pinkie shorts and if that's what we're dealing with then well... oof. :derp: 

So far we only know the movie is going to be 3D, no confirmation yet on how the main show will be :mlp_ooh:

The story has me... concerned.  I'm not going full panic yet.  Between this reveal and the KidScreen article in January I'm not 100% sure where this takes place anymore.  The KidScreen article said G5 will take place in the same world as FiM just in the future.  Does that mean squeal, alternate timeline, alternate reality, who knows.  Destroying everything FiM did would be disappointing, but a backstory of the most epic scale might make it understandable. :huh:

The pony tribes separated?  Okay, but what happened to all the other creatures we spent two seasons building up to be friends with Equestria?  Depending on what is defined as 'Equestria has lost its Magic' that could explain why Sunny doesn't have a Cutie Mark in the image and why the Wendigos haven't buried Equestria in eternal winter.   Or without a frame of reference, Sunny could easily be a young filly without one yet and our three mane cast are just a recreate of the CMC.  Or it'll be a plot point to get one :maud:

When it comes down to it, I think the biggest problem is that the synopsis reads more like a reboot than a sequel, but they keep selling it like a continuation of FiM.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

To me, the new look is OK, could be worse. As for the setting, I hope it takes place in a really distant future, otherwise the whole disharmony and segregation thing is incredibly disappointing. Don’t have much to say about the plot yet. To make any other conclusions, I have to see the trailer.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Even if the movie turns out to be fine, this aspect just makes me feel... uneasy.

I agree with this assessment. It bothers me that the ponies live separately and the plot is to fix that. 

1) It undermines everything that happened in G4. Even if this is a different continuity (and it must be to make any sense), it still feels like we throw everything away.

2) I don't like it when movies try to do a big, epic, save the world plot as an introduction to a series. Where do you go from there? Everything else will feel weak by comparison. Am I the only one who likes small, relaxed stories that build up over time?

• Brohoof 3

50 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I would probably prefer if it was completely separate universe, instead of, essentially saying that either Twilight messed up or there was some huge disaster that pretty much destroyed the G4 world. But, maybe this would be good too.

To be fair, we are talking about a character, who not only, despite her title being the Princess of Friendship, forgot some of her older Friends but her plotline basically being that she messes up in all sorts of ways, to use her and her friends as a plot device, to teach children lessons, i mean messing things up is kinda her thing.

Not to mention what she did in the previous Movie 

Spoiler

in which she basically tried to steal an holy object, which i guess in the real world would be equal to stealing the holy grail which probably spark tons of controversy.

Twilight messing up, would not be all that out of character. Also who says she has messed up? Maybe in this Timeline she is dead or retired and someone completely different caused all sort of bad things to happen.

After all our possibly new main character has merch of the main 6, which suggest that the characters are still beloved, suggesting Twilight didnt mess up.

But even if she did, it would be believable to me. Twilight is not a perfect character, that is kinda the entire plot of the Show, unless i completely missunderstood the entirety of G4.

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, Reason for Cancellation said:

i mean messing things up is kinda her thing.

Yeah, but it would make the ending of G4 even more sad for me. 

56 minutes ago, Reason for Cancellation said:

Maybe in this Timeline she is dead or retired and someone completely different caused all sort of bad things to happen.

That could happen. But basically, something really bad had to happen to undo Hearth's Warming and pretty much leave Equestria worse than the beginning of celestia's rule, not to mention the beginning of G4. 

It could also be a way for the creators to bring real-life politics into the show ("hey, look, Equestria became divided and hateful - just like the real life").

Actually, the reason for Equestria going to hell could be its own movie. I mean something really bad had to happen, not just a casual mess-up by Twilight.

• Brohoof 2

Now that I've taken a second look at all of this information, I have a much better opinion of it. I do like the CGI style being used here though they may yet make some changes since this movie won't be releasing for another several months. If this is the final look they are going with, I can accept it for what it is. With regards to the story, yeah, I had this feeling they were going to go in this direction by undoing what had been achieved at the end of Friendship is Magic, though by undoing I mean the harmony achieved was eventually destroyed. Magic being the issue was a surprise though at the same time, it had to be the most obvious thing.

Now begs the question of how long of a time skip we're looking at here.

Oh I just realized, they probably ARE going to have more advanced technology.

Because it says the magic is gone, and Sunny doesn’t have a cutiemark. With no magic to pick up the slack, ponies would be forced to innovate.

But this give me shivers up my spine of potential pony smart phones... UUUUGH...

• Brohoof 3

On 2021-02-25 at 7:55 AM, ShadOBabe said:

But this give me shivers up my spine of potential pony smart phones... UUUUGH...

*Grumbles* Ponies with their iPones and their twiClouds! :dry:/:P

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Envy said:

Now MLP characters have the Disney Elsa face, too. Ugh. It's spreading everywhere.

Exactly what I was about to say. And not only that, but the braid too!

36 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Problem ain't the smart phones, but the focus and way the ponies might be shown to use it. I'm fine with ponies and smartphones as long as ponies don't try to be hip with cringe worthy tik toking, influencer bull, social media or the infamous selfies.