Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP G5 Movie (2021) Screenshot and Plot Revealed!

Mrs. Prospector

On 2021-02-25 at 12:20 AM, Toastypk said:

They're going down a route they did in Chrono Trigger. that I'm dreading somewhat... In the sequel, the celebrations of the kingdom from the end of the first game are turned on their heads, and said kingdom gets conquered. The tone goes very south.

TV Tropes refers to it as "Happy Ending Override." And more often than not, it's an instant turnoff for me.

E.g.: The Force Awakens, the Future Trunks Saga (Dragon Ball Super), Terminator: Dark Fate, etc. And of course, The Beginning Of The End (which overrode and decanonized Siege Of The Crystal Empire, Sombra's much-better conclusion).

Edited by Anti-Villain

I think it looks pretty good in motion, and the interaction between sunny and that stallion does give me siblings vibes. My main issue with what was given is that the series will be released on netflix and they release(as far as I know) their series at once, so the whole half seasons will be just dumped in a single day and it takes the waiting for the next episode away which I find disappointing.

1 hour ago, Anti-Villain said:

TV Tropes refers to ^this^ as "Happy Ending Override." And more often than not, it's an instant turnoff for me.

E.g. - The Force Awakens, the Future Trunks Saga (Dragon Ball Super), Terminator: Dark Fate, etc. And of course, The Beginning Of The End - which overrode and decanonized Siege Of The Crystal Empire, Sombra's much-better conclusion.

Do you think this is what G5 is setting up to be? Some people are thinking this is supposed to take place hundreds of years ahead, or more, while others like me are wondering if this is just supposed to be a different sort of continuity that's not quite explicitly connected.

Edited by Toastypk

I don't think MLP has ever looked so cuddly :sunbutt: new MLP is Cuddly Toy Story. Also it must have a budget to look like that. Very swish. This isn't no flash animation series anymore :P Released on Netflix too.

Storyline sounds fine. Ponies exploring the world and making friends? What could go wrong? :pinkie:

For a looong time I have had no expectations for new pony stuff and I'm always more pleased with it that I expect...well not the stop motion ofc but really that is just no. So I'm cautiously hopeful for this... and trying to get not too excited! Have a feeling I'm gonna love this more than anything post the MLP FiM original series concept other than the Movie. And I friggin loved some of the EQG stuff.

They need music though. Huggable music like this.

I'm excited, actually. My initial reaction to the plot reveal was "Ok, which writer is taking inspiration from Fallout Equestria?", but after thinking it over this could work... provided they give an adequate explanation about how the world went to crap between Twilight's time and Sunny's time.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Not liking what I'm looking at so far. The CG could've been worse, but it's not grabbing to me, and the plot feels so forced. I will be going into this movie with very low expectations. :maud:

Its always best to go with low expectations... That way youd be surprised if its good. 

And not get heart brokened if its bad!

A win win situation

Im guessing the alicorns in the movie are all gone.... Or the next villain

1 hour ago, abrony-mouse said:

Also it must have a budget to look like that. Very swish. This isn't no flash animation series anymore

Weeell... I am concerned that the animation we’re seeing right now is ONLY for the film, and that the quality will be significantly lower for the show. Hopefully they don’t pull what Kung Fu Panda did:

Movie:

AF9D7CCE-D7ED-49FF-8821-6E9F78394358.jpeg.4e1aa52191d008eff813b5d1d541e350.jpeg

Show:

65586040-F68A-4824-A808-7712281D2665.thumb.jpeg.c08805f3b9c6f9fe4f4d20f728e4745c.jpeg

I’m just hoping that my suspicions prove to be wrong.

5 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I don't know about that, from what I've heard Equestria is ruled by a group of alicorns that are not like the alicorns of G4 (they're apparently really mean and cruel leaders or something). From what I can tell the era of G4 Equestria is basically a myth/ancient history by the time of G5 :huh: 

Where did you hear that?

• Brohoof 3

Though I'm still very cautious about how things will end up (due to politics potentially being pushed), but I see some potential in the plot. If executed well, there is chance this may actually be decent. I'm very curious as to what it will be like.

As for the screenshot itself, it looks interesting. The 3D doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, and the movements look expressive enough. My guess is that this takes place in the pegasus territory, and that this may be when Sunny and Izzy meet Pipp. Overall, I'm hopeful, but still cautious.

Something that I've started to wonder about.

The stallion main character they've introduced, the first time they've had a male as a main character... you think that's in effect, representative or emblematic of the male fans, the bronies? I'm wondering if the reason they even included him was because of our existance. As an inclusion, perhaps.

5 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Where did you hear that?

Believe it was from some leaks about the movie from a few months back (the leak that gave us that unfinished animatic I believe?), which actually if Equestria really is this super divided place now in the new gen it being ruled by careless divisive alicorns seems to fit right in :wacko:

The 3d work seems OK- still need to see more of the animation to know for sure. Something with the faces seems a bit off to me.

@DozelRhine is right with this :mlp_blink:

If the ponies looked like the edit in this- I think they WOULD BE ADORABLE!:kirin::wub:

:worry:But because of that WEIRD SMILE and smaller eyes of the original I thought of Spider Baby IMMEDIATELY for some reason after seeing this edit...:mlp_confused: WTF?!?!

tsspider.thumb.jpg.e40e3424f30996cd542e667464609be1.jpg

ALSO... Wait a minute...:mlp_wat:

Spoiler

Smolder.png.2c63a55da8721d243a7e5d46c11a1f18.pngMy Little Pony: Reincarnation is magic?!:blink:

Lauren Faust based the ponies' heads on a sphere in her iteration, which was DEFINITELY the right call IMO. The new 3d CGI seems to look OK from the sample motion shots, but I think they could look better.

Even after seeing the stuff released today, I'm still getting the vibe that the characters showcased are younger than the Mane 6, which is making me less interested. Maybe I'm wrong though- I didn't realize that the Mane 6 were actually older until a few episodes in.

I'm also hoping real world politics doesn't bleed in especially with all that's been going on over the last year. The lack of contamination in that aspect is one thing I really liked about Gen 4 too.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

From what I'm currently seeing, I think the designs are okay. I'm not that attached to them, but I was expecting worse. I admittedly like 2d animation more than cg animation, and am not the biggest fan of seeing stuff going from 2d to cg. To elaborate on what I mean, I'm fine with new characters being made in cg, but am worried about what the mane six will look like (if they're even going to be in it). The plot seems good to me, and I think this movie has potential.

Edited by Trixie Heartstrings

16 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Oh I just realized, they probably ARE going to have more advanced technology.

Because it says the magic is gone, and Sunny doesn’t have a cutiemark. With no magic to pick up the slack, ponies would be forced to innovate.

But this give me shivers up my spine of potential pony smart phones... UUUUGH...

I think Doctor Hoover suggested pony technology was stagnant due to their reliance on magic in Slice of Life :huh:

16 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Problem ain't the smart phones, but the focus and way the ponies might be shown to use it. I'm fine with ponies and smartphones as long as ponies don't try to be hip with cringe worthy tik toking, influencer bull, social media or the infamous selfies.

Ah yeah. I remember two weeks straight of bad Horse Life episodes close to the season finale because they’ve focused on “hip” internet trends :yuck:

15 hours ago, Tao said:

You know,  I like the story/plot given how our world is right now and I think a lot of ppl can make a connection. We also get some world building it seems and now just staying in a few towns we always saw.   And this could be a chance to see and explore others races cultures more then that was touch in the GEN 4 seasons.  Style wise,  I'll give it a try and see how things work out!   

I hope they bring the longma, as suggested in the 2017 leak :mlp_icwudt:

Edited by Steve Piranha

Well...I honestly do not know what to think.

I've never been a fan of CGI 3d especially this "half ways/almost there" style of high details yet looking" off" thing. Like a touch more in some way would be better. The body half ways, to me, looks like it started off as a dog model, perhaps German Shepherd with how it slopes. Then again I sit and look at these animals all day, so it's hard to look at a model and not critique it. I do the same for farm equipment and models.

Kinda a disney feel to the...almost like toy story/frozen...or perhaps a trolls movie look? Its familiar yet off. The models are good, don't get me wrong, but I just don't care for that style. Like how some people like the "sleek futuristic" look to cars, I like the "70s boxy" look, and as a result 2D animation. 

So it's either takes place soon enough after G4 that the 6/7 are still well known or long enough in the future that they are legends, judging by the shot. I just hope they keep the "disconnect" of their world like what G4 had where it was somewhat like real life but way behind in a way, with steam, "crazy flying machines"  and mail and the like...and not phones and modern slang.

Politics wise, definitely keep today's out it's a cartoon for children keep it neutral like how G4 mostly was, but it could be argued that G4 had some of that time's politics thrown in...well its Hasbro, they're a wild card when it comes to this part.

On 2021-02-25 at 5:54 AM, Mrs. Prospector said:

Entertainment Tonight has revealed the plot and details about the movie, as well as a screenshot showing what the CGI animation will look like! 

MLP Movie G5 (My Little Pony 2021 movie) screenshot, showing Sunny, the movie's new Earth Pony protagonist, against a backdrop filled with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic memorabilia

High-res closeup:

MLP Movie G5 (My Little Pony 2021 movie) screenshot showing a close-up of Sunny, the movie's new Earth Pony protagonist

Source: https://www.etonline.com/my-little-pony-latest-movie-heads-to-netflix-greenlights-new-series-exclusive-161157

I really don’t like cgi but it looks decent and look at rarity etc in the back :o  I’m not sure if I’ll be watching this though the magical touch of old animation is strong 

I think the CGI looks amazing! Especially after seeing the animation GIF. I wonder how far in the future this is...is it right where The Last Problem left off? Or further ahead than that? I find it really hard to imagine the Mane 6 in this animation style :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was unpinned

I think the whole "divided Equestria" thing was caused by the alicorn princesses after Twilight or even Luster not caring nearly as much about friendship, which caused a slow decline in leadership/magic quality over hundreds and hundreds of years.

I don't mind the modern style of the movie just as long as it doesn't turn too serious like Zootopia, or too cringe like Ralph Breaks the Internet.

I prefer the G4 style over this new 3d look, but I think I heard somewhere that the show will be animated with Toon Boom like the '17 movie.

• Brohoof 1

The images look better than I imagined CGI ponies ever could. As for the plot, it's still a bit concerning, but it looks like it's been slightly toned down from what was recently leaked. I'm a little bit more optimistic than I was before, but still waiting for more before drawing any real conclusions.

7 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

So it's either takes place soon enough after G4 that the 6/7 are still well known or long enough in the future that they are legends, judging by the shot. I just hope they keep the "disconnect" of their world like what G4 had where it was somewhat like real life but way behind in a way, with steam, "crazy flying machines"  and mail and the like...and not phones and modern slang.

I had always thought that it would be way cooler to have more examples of combining magic and technology (like Tank's propeller, or the projector thing from Rainbow Falls) than just more modern real-world technology. Give us a world that's been progressing beyond your typical fantasy world, but in its own unique way.

13 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

Even after seeing the stuff released today, I'm still getting the vibe that the characters showcased are younger than the Mane 6

I definitely get a sense these new characters are teenagers, especially after seeing Sunny's bedroom decor and the characters' relative height compared to that of the pegasus guards in that one shot. Also making them younger than the G4 Mane 6 would fit in with Hasbro's desire to better hit their target demographic.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...