Jump to content
Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

My Little Pony: Generation 5 (MLP G5): What We Know So Far - Part 1 (February 24, 2021)


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

This one is my favorite so far. I don't know her name but I think she will be the "fun and random" one. 

unknown.png?width=185&height=427

she reminds me of a child of celestia 

 

edited: maybe she could be the daughter of flurry heart because her cutie mark is a heart on the leaked photo that isn't from the movie and the heart looked like a crystal.

Edited by Osoka_Topez
  • Brohoof 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I don't know why, but the still images make me feel like they're a bit...creepy.  I was hoping they'd be less creepy when in motion, and the animated teaser looks to me like they will be quite a bit less creepy.  I loved how the brother and sister weren't afraid of displaying affection.

I just hope that they don't go overboard with the messages about race; the fact is...not everyone has the same values or draws the line between good and evil in the same place when it comes to race-relations.  And IP after IP has gotten too preachy about their writers' (non-universally-agreed upon) values, or badly mishandled the messages, or ended up with poor writing, or ended up with bland/too-perfect characters, or some combination of those.   I really don't want MLP to go down any of those paths!  Especially since it's the flawed, complex characters that made G4 as great as it's been!

 

One thing I think would be really, really good, is if G5 had a very nuanced view of race-relations---like, if they had different characters with two or more different views and sets of morals about race relations, and the story explored the pros and cons of each of those characters' views and morals without declaring any one character to be 100% right or 100% wrong.  That's the kind of work that really makes you think and question things.

Fantasy and sci-fi that really makes you think, rather than telling you what to think, is something that's becoming rarer.  And it'd be refreshing---and honestly just what society needs these days---to see MLP provide that to pop culture!

I wonder if it's too late to write letters to Hasbro asking them to do this...?

  • Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Considering I have the ability to soul between Earth and Equestria, if this show proves appealing I might just come back to Equestria to see more adventures and slices of life

  • Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Yay 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should give Gen 5 a chance,   yes GEN 4 has a hold on many of our hearts but sadly things must change.   They have put a of detail into the CG and have already put out a honor call to gen 4 in just the fist shots we have seen of Sunny.   As a anime fan,  I love my classics like Sailor Moon and Fruit Baskets,  but I also highly enjoyed the remakes in the last few years given they went by the manga,   and the anime style was more up to date if anything.     Gen 5  should be taken with a open mind if anything,  even more as bronies given what we base ourselves on.  

  • Brohoof 1
  • Hug 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Dreamstar Moonlight changed the title to My Little Pony: Generation 5 (MLP G5): What We Know So Far - Part 1 (February 24, 2021)

Well I can see it going very well like G4 or very poorly...I don't really see a middle of "it was recieved lukewarmly"...just when you use those terms as a selling point...then again it is Hasbro and they are kinda an odd duck type of company. 

And for this part of the comment, maybe I'm looking at it too...scientifically? Animal agriculturally view? But wouldn't it be "breeds" not "race", since there isn't really "races" in the animal world? Not really related but that thought was set off by someone asking me today "what race of cows are they"...so...I don't know, just kinda thinking out loud here...

I'll give it a chance but as one who went through all the generations...G4 will be hard to beat and/or meet.

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

The style shown here is pretty amazing. It looks really good and I hope this is the road it takes. However I'm not sure what to think about the plotline. Only because I'm a pony that finds it hard to move from one canon universe to another. If you get what I'm talking about. Very good work either way!

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

And for this part of the comment, maybe I'm looking at it too...scientifically? Animal agriculturally view? But wouldn't it be "breeds" not "race", since there isn't really "races" in the animal world? Not really related but that thought was set off by someone asking me today "what race of cows are they"...so...I don't know, just kinda thinking out loud here...

Actually, from what I learned in an anthropology class in college, it's kind of the other way around:  There's a specific biological definition of "race", and what we commonly call "races" among humanity...technically don't qualify by those definitions.  That's why anthropologists insist on using the word "ethnicity" where other would use the word "race".

That being said...I don't actually know what the biological definition of "race" is.  Or whether we know enough to tell whether pegasus/batwing/unicorn/earth pony traits are different enough to count.

 

12 hours ago, Ruby Sapphire said:

The style shown here is pretty amazing. It looks really good and I hope this is the road it takes. However I'm not sure what to think about the plotline. Only because I'm a pony that finds it hard to move from one canon universe to another. If you get what I'm talking about. Very good work either way!

I think it's technically supposed to be the same continuity, but centuries in the future.

I suspect the mane six will make cameos as the Treehouse of Harmony's spirit-avatar, but...that's just an educated guess.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

10 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

 

That being said...I don't actually know what the biological definition of "race" is.  Or whether we know enough to tell whether pegasus/batwing/unicorn/earth pony traits are different enough to count.

I had somewhat figured that since there isn't "purple unicorn race/breed" that the normal/pegasus/unicorn/etc would be considered a breed.

The problem with what you said is there is a definition for it, but no one uses it as intended...which is kinda why I brought up the breed part. In a way it sounds better for a kids show, then again I'm thinking out loud here at 4am.

 

Edit at 430, I see "species " is slowly replacing race...so they are separate species now.

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 2021-02-25 at 11:18 PM, SharpWit said:

I'm most excited for the continued setting and world building opportunities.

Typically there's been a pendulum model for how masses react to various movements. Perhaps the division of races and species we're presented with from G5 is the result of it swinging in opposition to the "wokeness" that was brought about in G4.

Equestria has had a long standing position of isolationism and paranoia towards other species, and perhaps with reason given the readiness so many have expressed their willingness to go to war over such slight grievances, and the particular impact changeling invasions have wrought in the past.

Divisions in the pony races have persisted after all, notably through classism between Unicorns and Earth Ponies, and the Spartanesque inspirations for Pegasus society and their own degree of separation via cloud cities.

Unicorns have always been the most abled, Pegasus have air supremacy, and earth ponies hold the numerical advantage. They've all sought dominance in their own ways.

Despite how early on in the Fandom it wad written and the influence it took from the original franchise, Fallout Equestria I think showed one of the best and most accurate if potential extremes that could take place for Pegasus.

I'm most excited for the continued setting and world building opportunities.

Wow....that was insightful! @SharpWit

16 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

Actually, from what I learned in an anthropology class in college, it's kind of the other way around:  There's a specific biological definition of "race", and what we commonly call "races" among humanity...technically don't qualify by those definitions.  That's why anthropologists insist on using the word "ethnicity" where other would use the word "race".

That being said...I don't actually know what the biological definition of "race" is.  Or whether we know enough to tell whether pegasus/batwing/unicorn/earth pony traits are different enough to count.

 

I think it's technically supposed to be the same continuity, but centuries in the future.

I suspect the mane six will make cameos as the Treehouse of Harmony's spirit-avatar, but...that's just an educated guess.

That's some interesting info!
Also, I don't somehow think the Mane 6 will make too much of a cameo appearance...at least, not to that extent. But that's just my theory! @HereComesTom

  • Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 2021-02-26 at 8:17 AM, HereComesTom said:

I just hope that they don't go overboard with the messages about race; the fact is...not everyone has the same values or draws the line between good and evil in the same place when it comes to race-relations. 

One thing I think would be really, really good, is if G5 had a very nuanced view of race-relations---like, if they had different characters with two or more different views and sets of morals about race relations, and the story explored the pros and cons of each of those characters' views and morals without declaring any one character to be 100% right or 100% wrong.  That's the kind of work that really makes you think and question things.

Fantasy and sci-fi that really makes you think, rather than telling you what to think, is something that's becoming rarer.  And it'd be refreshing---and honestly just what society needs these days---to see MLP provide that to pop culture!

I wonder if it's too late to write letters to Hasbro asking them to do this...?

Now, that - I can get on-board with!

Also, maybe G5 will turn out really well, after all! Let's be optimistic. @HereComesTom

  • Yay 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

A lot of those early 4chan things are either fake or old because they are being heavily contradicted by what has been revealed recently (for instance we now know that there's an earth pony in the mane cast, and that she is actually the main character overall), so I'd take those with a grain of salt. The more recent 4chan post which gave character descriptions and names is much more trustworthy, given that it correctly named and described Sunny and Izzy.

The Kidscreen article was extremely concerning, but with more recent info I have a bit more hope now. With the synopsis we have it could still go down that bad route, but if executed well, it could end up being good after all.

Last but not least, I comment on the bedsheet and the characters on them. The design of the bedsheets was very off-putting, and it really made me nervous about the animation style (now that we know that the weird style was just due to it being merch, I'm less concerned about that). The character designs however did give me a glimmer of hope. I'm actually rather fond of them, especially Pipp. I'm glad that we've now seen Izzy and Sunny in the new 3D animation, but I'm still eagerly awaiting to see Pipp in it as well. I'm excited to find out what all their personalities will be like, and I'm hoping they are written well :squee:.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I think that the MLP comic series will end after season 10 and after publishing issue 100 what do you think about this??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 2021-05-17 at 4:52 PM, George150 said:

I think that the MLP comic series will end after season 10 and after publishing issue 100 what do you think about this??

That's a misconception. The comics are continuing well after #100 and #101 only marks the  end of the first arc of Season 10.

The IDW comic artist Pencils confirmed the fact on his Discord server.

Here's proof:

 

Screenshot_20210522-133834_Discord.jpg

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

15 hours ago, Dreamstar Moonlight said:

That's a misconception. The comics are continuing well after #100 and #101 only marks the  end of the first arc of Season 10.

The IDW comic artist Pencils confirmed the fact on his Discord server.

Here's proof:

 

Screenshot_20210522-133834_Discord.jpg

Not sure where that misconception came from. Jeremy Whitley made it clear that Season 10 comic would go on for a long time when he was interviewed and talked about the first story they were working on. 

  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2021-02-25 at 2:22 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

This one is my favorite so far. I don't know her name but I think she will be the "fun and random" one. 

unknown.png?width=185&height=427

I honestly cant take that thing on her head as a horn. It looks more like a party hat with fancy swirls. What was Hasbro thinking.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

9 minutes ago, RaphLuna said:

I honestly cant take that thing on her head as a horn. It looks more like a party hat with fancy swirls. What was Hasbro thinking.

Yeah, I do find it odd that Hasbro would drastically change the horn and wing designs from what they were in G4, especially considering this is supposed to be the same universe. It almost becomes tricky to even believe that this is the same species that inhabited Equestria in the time of G4.

  • Brohoof 1
  • Hug 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Landi said:

Yeah, I do find it odd that Hasbro would drastically change the horn and wing designs from what they were in G4, especially considering this is supposed to be the same universe. It almost becomes tricky to even believe that this is the same species that inhabited Equestria in the time of G4.

Yeah, I wasn't too crazy about the horn and wings design either. I just find them wired and unnatural.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...