Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Analyzing the G5 synopsis

Neoeryn

Hello everypony!

As much confusion and hope -or doubt, depending on how you take it- the synopsis has left for us, I wanted to somewhat go into depth on the description for G5, based upon what I believe may happen, but also on what they've given us. I'm really looking forward to it, and I don't think I've ever been this hyped for a show! (Aside from G:SP, but that's for another day)

In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.

Now, going into depth on this description.. It's quite unexpected and scary when looking at it, but broken down, it's not as overwhelming.

"Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species."

Something definitely happened. We can guess that Twilight's rule has ended forever ago, as it's confirmed to take place in the far off future. It could be possible that everybody started losing hope after she retired, or something must've happened to her. Either someone terrible was put on the throne as ruler, or we might be getting new villains/characters that contributed to the downfall. Perhaps, a war may have broken out after Twilight's rule has ended
. Just because G4 showed us that Equestria became inclusive and had a happy ending, doesn't mean it would've stayed that way forever (I mean, look at the American Dream of the 50-80s.. compare that to now), so anything could be possible.

Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit.

This brings so many possibilities. She could be the only one who believes the Mane Six were real (assuming they're nothing more than legend in this continuation), or the only one who believes in friendship and harmony. This most likely causes her to become an outcast, or seen as different, based upon whatever may be the popular opinion in society. Sunny most likely doesn't have many friends due to this, possibly leading to her obsession and turning to the Mane Six, or classic Equestria in general, as a way of coping. Misguided efforts.. this could mean she makes mistakes, maybe even hinting at possible clumsiness? Hilarious efforts could also just mean she's clumsy as well.

As seen from the animatic, which could be the possible G5 opening, we see a stallion -most likely her father, or even Hitch- telling or showing her about the magic of friendship. Maybe she loses her father, and that's the only memory she has left that could contribute to her beliefs, or either of them are the only pony out there that believes in her, and believes in what Equestria once was as well.

large.gif.11f75fda8bb6c6d926459f0369839829.gif

Another thing that could prove this was the G5 opening animatic for the movie, is that the frames were oddly taken down not long after it was leaked.. it was uploaded by someone who worked at Boulder Media though! They were originally going to upload it to a folder so people with a password could access it.. so it still could be possible, considering the smaller earth pony looks exactly like Sunny.

Source

When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. 

This doesn't quite make sense, although it could bring forth any possibilities as well. Why was Izzy lost and wandering? Did she lose her family or her home? Did she wander too far and couldn't find her way back? Or is she a rogue? Perhaps she was banished from her home, possibly believing in friendship and unity like Sunny, causing their friendship to bloom after she arrives. Perhaps Sunny being the only one in the town to show her kindness, leads Izzy to believe that there's still hope, even if she's not an earth pony like the others.

Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian.

While not a huge fan of musical numbers, it seems like we're going to get some action. I'm looking forward to that! I'm wondering if their journey is going to be like Twilight's, or Sunny's going to want to do everything "The Twilight Way." Considering not much information is given on that part, we can only assume -rightfully so- that they work on bringing magic and friendship back to Equestria. Not exactly sure on the flying Pomeranian.. are we talking about the dog or the horse here? Whatever one it is, it better be as cute as promised! If it is the dog breed, I wonder if they'll use what Rainbow Dash had done for Tank, with his little propeller. As for the daring jewel heist, this could imply they're stealing a jewel of some kind, possibly from a villain? That's all I can think of for that part, but for the conspiracy theories, that's just that. The characters coming up with crazy conspiracies about their land, or beyond!

Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies.

Faraway lands! Perhaps we'll see some from the first movie reappear, or we'll get new ones. Maybe they'll bring back older lands from G1? Whatever it means, I'm looking forward to adventure! And the old enemies aspect.. The only "old villains" I can think of are the ones we saw at the end of the G4 finale, or we're going to possibly get some from the older Gens as well. I would LOVE to know how long it's been since the finales setting, and how long Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy have been trapped in stone.. Where would they have been placed, and would they possibly return, causing the events for G5? Or are they going to include enemies that have interacted with the ponies in the universe that we don't know of yet? I would love to see the G4 villains return, but I would also love to see modern takes on older ones as well!

The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.

From this, we can safely assume that throughout her whole life, Equestria has always been the way the synopsis describes; a divided world in which she lives. From the phrase "Even Little Ponies," we can assume that means that Sunny's trying to prove younger ponies can make a difference, or her species is much smaller than an average earth pony? Whatever it is, I'm glad to see earth ponies getting the recognition they deserve!

What do you all think? What are your thoughts on the synopsis, and do you have any theories as to what may happen?
If there's any information you'd like me to add for more depth, just add it down below and I'll gladly analyze it!

Edited by Neoeryn
Adding/Changing info
  • Brohoof 7

• The title was changed to G5 Synopsis... Synopsis? Analysis!
  • The topic was featured

I'm looking forward to this. As silly as this may sound, if it is the way it looks with the animation, the hair/mane will stay in one place. It such a tiny detail, but one of the things in the things in FiM that bothered me was the hair constantly flipping. They even did it in EqG, when they shouldn't have on some of the girls' hairstyles.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

It such a tiny detail, but one of the things in the things in FiM that bothered me was the hair constantly flipping. They even did it in EqG, when they shouldn't have on some of the girls' hairstyles.

I think TV tropes treated it like an ambidextrous Sprite. To quote the entire about this trope in FIM:

Spoiler

Since the ponies are made of Flash objects, they—or parts of them—often appear mirrored. It's more complicated than a simple flip, though. The ponies seem to have a "good side" that, in nearly every shot, starts out facing the camera. When a pony turns around while visible in a shot, all of her features remain left-right consistent, and the other side shows—unless they turn around very quickly, in which case the Flash object gets flipped, and the "good side" stays to the fore.

This is especially prominent in the case of Fluttershy and Rarity, whose manes can obscure their faces. They always begin every shot with their bangs out of their faces, whether facing right or left, except when the shot calls for Fluttershy to look extra shy or Rarity to look worried or depressed.

So it would be nice to see some art evolution with generation 5

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-02-25 at 10:38 AM, Neoeryn said:

And the old enemies aspect.. The only "old villains" I can think of are the ones we saw at the end of the G4 finale, or we're going to possibly get some from the older Gens as well.

It could be the article is referring to the other pony races here - that is, so much time has passed with everyone living separately they consider the other tribes their enemies. It could also be referring to the other species, too. If ponies couldn't even get along with each other, then it stands to reason they'd feel even more hostile toward the likes of dragons and griffons.

On 2021-02-25 at 10:38 AM, Neoeryn said:

As seen from the animatic, which could be the possible G5 opening, we see a stallion -most likely her father

I have a hunch that's probably Hitch - due to him zoning in on Rainbow Dash's cutie mark (and by all accounts he seems to share her personality) and that he has a star cutie mark - which matches the imagery on his uniform. This is probably one of the musical numbers in the movie, perhaps giving the audience the introduction as to why these two ponies are such big fans of the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

This sounds a bit better, but I sure hope they do a good job handling the politics of it all:  "conspiracy theory" sounds like an obvious dig, though of course, it could be something entirely different.

I said earlier that I was hoping G-5 will provide nuanced takes on politics, where no one character is 100% right or 100% wrong.  This synopsis gives me hope that's going to happen, since the main character is misguided, herself...but it could still go either way.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly think this all might be a new dimension or reality of some sorts... perhaps Discord is involved? Who knows at this point.

However, I will say, I am thoroughly disappointed with the direction/style G5 decided to take this time. You can give this new design as much of a chance as we gave G4, but it's a big no from me. The story, hopefully, will be intriguing enough to get me interested in the least. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

The synopsis is a pretty interesting one to say the least. It seems that some horrible crisis of sorts happened after the end of Twilight's reign or a war of some sorts that caused this divide. Already optimistic for G5, but this makes me more willing to give this film a chance. 

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Analyzing the G5 synopsis
On 2021-02-28 at 5:02 AM, Sondash Studios said:

I honestly think this all might be a new dimension or reality of some sorts... perhaps Discord is involved?

It's possible, but i'm not so sure since he use himself magic
Also The lost of the magic would probably bring more complications than for the unicorns pegasus who work(ed) in skies city (Cloudales, Las Pegasus  etc...)

Spoiler

The fact than some of creatures depend of magic for use their abilities or simply be mystical creature would mean without this many of them would mean they would be comme back to some basic animal forms and by consequent some mythycal creature would disappear. I don't think it's something than some of the villains of the G4 like Tirek and Chrysalis wil easily accept, even if we don't risk to see back, far in the future, some wendigos who would probably feeded by hates and conflicts and freeze all equestria.

After, even if i'm note so fan of the idea to be close of the realistic world without magic and some "political" things. After maybe some twists and surprises will impress me.
And for the animation,  i will wait to see the movie to be fixed. The transition between the G4 and G5 will going to make me weird.