Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will G5 lose FiM's escapism?

Bendy

Will this new show G5 lose its escapism aspect? G4 felt like a whole new world to me, with its own issues for the most part. Earth, and our human issues had little to do with it.

What would the point of me and others writing HIE Romance stories if the humans ends up in Earth 2 just with ponies? The human might as well had stayed on Earth.

• Brohoof 5

5 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I don't want there to be humans in G5.

I didn't say there to be humans. But they will bring up human issues of the real world. Just with humans being replaced as ponies.

Edit: Hopefully not. 

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I don't want them to ruin it with politics.

This so much. I really don't want modern political stuff in MLP, it would kind of defeat one of the reasons why I watch the show in the first place- to escape from this terrible reality we're all stuck in :scoots:

Though I see you guys being concerned about them putting humans into the new gen, which I don't think will happen :fluttershy:

But overall, I am afraid that poor writing and poor characters may led to a decline in escapism quality for viewers like me >_>  

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

This so much. I really don't want modern political stuff in MLP, it would kind of defeat one of the reasons why I watch the show in the first place- to escape from this terrible reality we're all stuck in :scoots:

Though I see you guys being concerned about them putting humans into the new gen, which I don't think will happen :fluttershy:

But overall, I am afraid that poor writing and poor characters may led to a decline in escapism quality for viewers like me >_>  

Nor do I. This new generation may suck hard if that's the case.

I don't want humans in the show. But I a big fan of HIE (and writer of it) romance, Human X Pony Romance. At the same time, I hated Equestria Girls, I did not like the humans being forced into just to sell toys. Leave humans to fan fiction.

6 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I think it's inescapable to avoid human issues when it's humans creating the content. Hopefully they can do it justice with decent writing and adaptations.

We can only hope. Also that's not true, I watched LOTR series, while it has humans, it had almost nothing to do with modern world humans at all.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 5

20 minutes ago, Bendy said:

We can only hope. Also that's not true, I watched LOTR series, while it has humans, it had almost nothing to do with modern world humans at all.

True, but that's because the series is based on the book which was published nearly 70 years ago and instead is influenced by Tolkien's experiences with the negative impacts of industrialization, his faith as a Roman Catholic, and witnessing/living through the two most devastating conflicts in human history.

We can't help but be who we are in term of societal upbringing and the varying nature of our species, but we can do our best to expand our outlooks by looking closer at the ones we already carry. Or at least that's a thought I have every time I see a Star Trek episode.

The world looks modern when they say they're going forward waaay after G4 timeline. So yeah, I already could tell the modern timeline will surely kills it. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think they'll outright state or imply, "Oh, here's an issue in the real world we just ponified!"
I think the term 'activism' that they've been talking about is more like "All pony species should get along, we should be friends." or "Everyone should stick up for themselves."

I highly doubt they'll bring in issues like racism or other aspects of that sort of thing. Pretty much just the normal things you see children show characters stick up for. The cliche stuff.

But.. considering Hasbro did want to make G5 appeal more to older teens and young adults, who knows.

I don't think it'll completely ruin it (addressing and recognizing issues is a good thing, as a lot of people only use activism as a sort of clout nowadays, such as some BLM and PETA influencers, and those who actively use it as themes for their shows) I just think it'll take away that escapism feel to it, but it won't outright ruin it, at least not for me.

Honestly, I hope that it keeps the friendship aspect, but also includes themes about self-care and acceptance, as a lot of people struggle with that. I've seen a lot of people struggling especially in this fandom, and I will admit I do struggle with self-acceptance/care myself, and seeing that being addressed in a positive way would really help a lot.

• The title was changed to Will G5 lose FiM's escapism?
  • 6 months later...

I think It will. My main issue is with the art style which looks so odd. Their body sizes look weird as well. Despite all this I'll give it a chance but this movie is a make it or break it deal for me. And only two or three characters actually interest me so far and obviously if they shove politics into it I'll probably just stick with gen 4 and gen 4 fanfiction.  

• Brohoof 4

Unfortunately, it seems like it will. From cell phones, to the internet, to even social media, there are a lot of things in G5 that will make it lose its escapism. G4's world was so vast and unique from our own, that watching it felt like an escape into a fantasy world without constant reminders trends of modern trends of today. In a franchise such as My Little Pony, I think it's important that the world be its own thing, separate from the real world. From the clips of G5 I've seen, modern trends and concepts such as phones and social media influencers are present at times, and it's both distracting and lacking uniqueness.

All that being said, not all hope is lost. From what I can gather, it seems that only Zephyr Heights has this kind of Technology. Until I see the movie I can't be completely sure on this, but it seems like Maretime Bay and especially the Bridlewood forest aren't as advanced, causing them to still contain some of that fun uniqueness that G4 had so much of. So maybe (and hopefully) there won't be too much focus on modern trends and technology after all. Still, being a pegasus fan, it's unfortunate that they seem to be the ones focused on modern technology.

• Brohoof 2

After seeing the film...yeah, its world is just less exciting IMHO.  Having less certainly works for a movie like this one, as it was able to focus on the three Pony races and their distrust of one another 

Spoiler

prior to their reunion.

Sure, 

Spoiler

magic has been returned to this world,

but that's not automatically going to make it as fantastical as the Equestria I'm quite fond of.

On 2021-09-23 at 2:02 PM, Landi said:

Unfortunately, it seems like it will. From cell phones, to the internet, to even social media, there are a lot of things in G5 that will make it lose its escapism. G4's world was so vast and unique from our own, that watching it felt like an escape into a fantasy world without constant reminders trends of modern trends of today. In a franchise such as My Little Pony, I think it's important that the world be its own thing, separate from the real world. From the clips of G5 I've seen, modern trends and concepts such as phones and social media influencers are present at times, and it's both distracting and lacking uniqueness.

All that being said, not all hope is lost. From what I can gather, it seems that only Zephyr Heights has this kind of Technology. Until I see the movie I can't be completely sure on this, but it seems like Maretime Bay and especially the Bridlewood forest aren't as advanced, causing them to still contain some of that fun uniqueness that G4 had so much of. So maybe (and hopefully) there won't be too much focus on modern trends and technology after all. Still, being a pegasus fan, it's unfortunate that they seem to be the ones focused on modern technology.

Well...Zephyr Heights is a city, so of course the population there is especially urbanized.  The other pony groups have modern stuff too.  I'm assuming they have phones.  For what it's worth, this is definitely better than My Little Pony Tales for two reasons: better writing, and there is

Spoiler

magic

and other Pony races in it.  But, it could easily slip into being a modern edition of Tales, albeit better written and with the occasional

Spoiler

Pegasus flying or Unicorn casting a spell

, if it's not handled right.  The fact that the cast are all from different regions kind of helps, because it forces there to be somewhat of a variety of locations, but even that could get old fast. 

About the only thing I can think of to make this setting work in an ongoing series is for the cast to then turn around and

Spoiler

travel the rest of the world, helping to restore magic to other creatures, assuming they're still around.  If that's handled poorly though, it will just be the plot of this movie stretched out over a season or two (I have a hard time imagining it running for nine, or eight and a half).  Sure, there will be slight differences in that each species would have to rediscover their magic in their own way, but if it's all through the magic of friendship, there are only so many ways to present that narrative before that too becomes hopelessly derivative episode by episode.

I...can kind of see this working as another movie or something, but as a show?  Hmmm...yeah, I'm struggling to see a way in which ANG can work long-term.  

• Brohoof 1

Honestly this was a big worry I had going into it since the escapism of G4 is what drew me to it and one of the things that kept me watching. However I found myself actually really liking the way they went with it. Managed to make things more relatable instead of a bit too fantastical to escape into, which G4 occasionally ran the risk of. It has a very similar feel to Onward, which I really liked; a world where magic used to rule everything, but gradually disappeared with progress and technology to where it was now mostly stuff of legend. I like FiM's escapism a lot but some of its elements (weather and sun/moon controlled by magic) I could never really fully get myself used to. The smartphones and stuff were jarring at first, but again, I think it does a great job of portraying a world where magic and fantasy used to be the law of the land but has moved on, with a lot of the escapism now coming in the form of relatable characters with believable tech who are discovering more about the ways of the past.

Sometimes a world that's much like our own, but with cute and lovable characters radiating hope and positivity and on a quest to make things better for all, can make for a pretty compelling escape too.

• Brohoof 1

There are, of course, many ways to invoke a sense of escapism. FiM actually balanced fantasy and relatability well, almost to a point where they counter balanced each other. The primary focus of FiM was to highlight social relationships and how to navigate the various circumstances and emotions that arise from them. So, it dealt with human relatable problems, more than just the big bad of the season. 

I do expect the new show to have more slice of life tales than adventure focused ones, like FiM. It will have more modern tech thanks to Pegasi, but still invoking older mechanics and nature through the elven inspired Unicorns. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-09-28 at 3:06 PM, abrony-mouse said:

Was thinking about this today. The new movie was polished and fantastic in many ways but the magic was toned down compared to FiM or EqG I thought.

That makes sense since magic was completely inaccessible through most of the film due to the plot. That should change going forward. 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly the tech differences were another interesting aspect; Maretime Bay has this chill 60s-70s seaside town vibe (except the factory, which seems sufficiently wacky that it works without going too industrial) Zephyr Heights maintains the sort of soaring Greco-Roman slightly steampunk thing from G4 but updated with very modern tech, aaaand Bridlewood feels very much like a G4-esque fantasy world even down to the dance machine being powered by critters. It's a highly interesting balance and I look forward to seeing how the show handles that. I also like to see the spaces between the cities still wild and desolate, adding a sense of exploration and adventure instead of a depressingly modern and populated world. I think even the most disillusioned with the modern world could find a great escape in Bridlewood at the very least.

• 7 months later...
(edited)

I believe that G5 will shed FIM's escapism of modern technological issues.

FIM has had its own technological world for the last decade, and it can feel like it is time to let modern technology shine.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

(edited)

There is a possibility. You already have one of the main characters using her cellphone like an autist with technology addiction. So, I can actually see some of the aspects from this dysfunctional reality getting into the fictional world. And that is unfortunate, because FiM is like breather from this reality for me. And I wont be watching something that reminds me of the very thing I am trying escape.

Or maybe the point of introducing these problems is to correct them in time, and eventually restore the elements of harmony. Or... this is it. It is similar to the current quandary of humanity where "science" and technology have come to replace god, to such a degree people do believe they are living on a ball flying through space. You see. So, maybe technology will be gradually replaced in the show, to the point the magic of harmony takes its rightful place once again.

Still, I have only seen one episode of TyT. So, my opinion may change, or not, once I get to watch the movie, and the rest of TyT, and G5. I just don't want to, for some reason.

Edited by They call me Loyalty