Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will G5 lose FiM's escapism?

Bendy

There is a monkey emoji, but my Netflix quality is not good enough to capture it... But basically, YES, the whole social media stuff made G5 too realistic.

• Brohoof 4

30 minutes ago, They call me Loyalty said:

There is a possibility. You already have one of the main characters using her cellphone like an autist with technology addiction. So, I can actually see some of the aspects from this dysfunctional reality getting into the fictional world. And that is unfortunate, because FiM is like breather from this reality for me. And I wont be watching something that reminds me of the very thing I am trying escape.

Or maybe the point of introducing these problems is to correct them in time, and eventually restore the elements of harmony. Or... this is it. It is similar to the current quandary of humanity where "science" and technology have come to replace god, to such a degree people do believe they are living on a ball flying through space. You see. So, maybe technology will be gradually replaced in the show, to the point the magic of harmony takes its rightful place once again.

Still, I have only seen one episode of TyT. So, my opinion may change, or not, once I get to watch the movie, and the rest of TyT, and G5. I just don't want to, for some reason.

We've known the Earth is round since ancient times and Copernicus was literally a Catholic canon...

• Brohoof 1

I will say that it isn't as investing as G4 whether that is due to the way the plot is handled, the songs, whatever. It is hard to escape into something that doesn't completely take you out of your world to begin with.

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, Splashee said:

There is a monkey emoji, but my Netflix quality is not good enough to capture it... But basically, YES, the whole social media stuff made G5 too realistic.

I want one of the Gen 5 shows to make a "Discord" reference and have somepony say "No, not *that* Discord!".  :umad:/:mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

To me, it has. From the modern animation style to the technology in the show, to the breed(what everyone calls race,even though there isn't races of horses...) issue, to me it just somewhat feels like, say, silicon valley, normal, and the amish communities in a show, but with ponies instead.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I find having a bay for the main location more than a little distracting.

I know they made the location a bay for the Crystal Bright-house but I can't shake off the feeling of "misplacement."

That feeling of "misplacement" makes me feel trapped somehow. Maybe it is because horses aren't that known to be that populous near the sea.

The setting and location makes me feel trapped, like I'm in a little box.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well I think that G4 set some pretty high expectations for G5, and G5 isn’t exactly living up to it right now. However, I think that having modern technology with magic wouldn’t automatically ruin G5 if the story is well written. (Pixar’s Onward did a good job at this.) I think that G5 wants to have G4’s escapism, it needs to do something that has never been done before with interesting (consistent) storylines that a wide range of audience members can bond with.

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 2

There seems to be a lot of ponies saying the modern tech like phones knocks them out of the escapeism... why is that? For me its sorta our world but better? 

• Brohoof 2

49 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

There seems to be a lot of ponies saying the modern tech like phones knocks them out of the escapeism... why is that? For me its sorta our world but better? 

It means that we want to escape anything to do with our world. I would rather escape to a world like G4, with no phones or technology, so I wouldn't be at all reminded of this world in any form.

• Brohoof 3

52 minutes ago, Jedishy said:

I suppose it ruins their escapism because it reminds them of the modern world and its problems. Look at G4 - there is little to no technology, like in Ponyville, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale. The locations that do have a fairly large amount of technology (specifically Las Pegasus and Manehattan) are rarely shown, reducing their effects on G4's escapism. I'm also certain that the episodes which had those locations with a fairly large amount of tech weren't really favored in the fandom.

Now, I don't hold that opinion myself, but it's how I perceive why others hold that opinion.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I suppose it ruins their escapism because it reminds them of the modern world and its problems. Look at G4 - there is little to no technology, like in Ponyville, Canterlot, and Cloudsdale. The locations that do have a fairly large amount of technology (specifically Las Pegasus and Manehattan) are rarely shown, reducing their effects on G4's escapism. I'm also certain that the episodes which had those locations with a fairly large amount of tech weren't really favored in the fandom.

Now, I don't hold that opinion myself, but it's how I perceive why others hold that opinion.

Eh I guess I just dont get it. Like tech doesn't impact me for or against escaping. Its the tone of the world. So I guess I just cant see why it feels like that. 

• Brohoof 2

Moments ago, Jedishy said:

Eh I guess I just dont get it. Like tech doesn't impact me for or against escaping. Its the tone of the world. So I guess I just cant see why it feels like that. 

For me it does. All of this modern technology such as instant communication, phones, computers etc only accelerates the issues I see in this world. I would ideally like to live without that in another world. I would much prefer a lot more of a slower paced life with only a group of friends and not anything extra to that. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buttttt....i like i guess what you all call REALISM.

I like how they TRANSLATED THINGS of our world into theirs.I always liked it when medias and/or cartoons or fictional stories and the likes(I really hope that you all know what i mean)has something to do with our world.Like having ACTUAL PLACES in our world or having ACTUAL NAMES of our world instead of making some copycat names or having ABSOLUTELY NEW stuffs.I like the feeling of living in our reality where there are cool stuffs,like magic and supernatrual stuff.Like my name implies,i didn't actually really dig in MLP G4,just caught some glimpse of it and watched some random episodes.I guess i maybe am not you alls' type of people.Even so,i just really want to be the different opinion in here.Because i REALLY LIKED the realism it gave,and it just sucks to see that everyone hates the thing i like about it.Maybe i really like ESAPISM IN REALISM.Or i guess it is just simple,realism really. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe I'm an enigma, but I will say no. Tech or no tech; it's how the world itself is implemented and just seeing the characters interact, solve their problems, and try to be happy is enough to make me escape my own anxiety and misgivings about the real world. Personally I just don't understand how little things like smart phones and modern societies can ruin that, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 2

Yes. It's not the tech, it's the mundanity of the modern man. So give me my Panther KF51 main battle tank, a bodacious Mossad waifu, and a flock of bioengineered raven raptors with K-9 training, and call me Snake.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2022-06-03 at 5:21 PM, CastletonSnob said:

I don't see G5 recapturing the magic of G4.

I see G4 of MLP in the same way that I see "Batman: The Animated Series" and all of the shows that followed it. 

People will say FiM is the best version of the characters for years to come & it will go down in animation history as one of the

greatest cartoons of all-time. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Social media is not really that big deal for me, I think it's fine. I don't really like when the show starts to get preachy :catface: Season nine Twilight's utopia felt dirty to me and my brain refuses to accept it as a season finale for the pony themed fantasy world. People usually experience escapism when they don't want to live in the [real world] the only one we've got so far.

Edited by RDDash
  • Brohoof 5