Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will G4 be forgotten over time, or will it live on for many years?

SUPERFOX5

I have been thinking about this, ever since the G5 announcement.

Will the brony fandom still exist for G4, or will people just throw it in the trash the moment we find out the new generation is palatable?

I recently returned to the fandom, and I am planning on watching the remaining few seasons I have left to watch.

I am mostly worried that the awesomeness of this community will disappear from the face of the earth, and I will be slightly depressed knowing how awesome my college life was when I found out about the show during its second season airing.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Depends on how fickle or loyal the brony fanbase really is. Most people became fans because of FiM and its characters, and even if the new generation turns out to be good or even better than it. We still got plenty of fandoms who are still around for older generations of games, toys, cartoons than FiM. Transformers you still got fans of G1 alive and kicking even if later stuff were more successful commercially(Bayverse) or critically(Beast Wars)

• Brohoof 5

Well I mean (as a brony), if Hell ever opens a Dairy Queen chain it might happen, but otherwise it's not going to.  I never bothered with mlp in any prior generation and I happen to be a FiM person.  It's tough for me to think of Twilight or AJ in any other way, and they are my favorites.  Frankly, I find both Pinkie (who is my favorite color) ... and Rarity to be highly annoying.  I'm very early on, just in s2 now.  I've already picked up a number of things for my meager collection including 4 backpacks .. one of which arrived today, and some of the TCG as I wanted that Twi poster. 

I mean, this is kinda like asking the question of whether Lion King fans are going to jump to the remake and forget the original movie.  A movie I have a metric ton of stuff from.  It's not happening.  I found the live action remake to be an incredible dumpster fire.  At the end of the day, people tend to have a bias towards what originally pulled them in.

• Brohoof 1

G4 has really engraved itself in the lives of many. I feel that it will last for a very long time. Who knows, it could still be around beyond the 5th or even 6th gen of mlp. I mean check it out, Equestria is staying for G5, and that's awesome. I predict that there will be nods to G4 in G5...and beyond.

• Brohoof 3

I am so happy all you guys and gals here have kept the fire going for this overnight hit of a show.

I honestly cannot believe how a franchise meant for little girls became this awesome multi-season cartoon that guys just happened to like, including me.

All these posts have made me very happy.

:pinkie::pinkie::pinkie:

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I also don't think g4 will be forgotten. The impact it had was simple to big for this to happen though I'm also convinced the fandom will change. Some people stay, some go and some come. Every day I'm in this fandom I find so much art and creativity it's astonishing and people are still creating. I'm not worried that g4 will be forgotten.

On 2021-02-26 at 3:01 PM, SUPERFOX5 said:

I am so happy all you guys and gals here have kept the fire going for this overnight hit of a show.

I honestly cannot believe how a franchise meant for little girls became this awesome multi-season cartoon that guys just happened to like, including me.

All these posts have made me very happy.

:pinkie::pinkie::pinkie:

Yeah, I also cant get my head wraped around it. It's really astonishing and g4 is really something special.

On 2021-02-26 at 10:20 AM, TomDaBombMLP said:

No. I'm holding onto it and I'm never letting go of the magic... :wub:

A5A8A9A0-9774-41C3-BC4A-E596DDC296C1.gif

About this there is definitely no doubt in my mind, @TomDaBombMLP :)

• Brohoof 3

On 2021-02-25 at 7:31 PM, ShadOBabe said:

The original MLP from the 80s still has an active fanbase. G4 isn’t going anywhere.

Yup, a lot of bronies still do not know that just because people have always made fun of MLP, that doesn't mean it didn't have fans back then. G4 was just the franchise's Final Fantasy VII, the thing that made it explode in popularity. I see way too much from the past that still has an active fanbase to lose hope for G4 being remembered. 

• Brohoof 8

9 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Yup, a lot of bronies still do not know that just because people have always made fun of MLP, that doesn't mean it didn't have fans back then. G4 was just the franchise's Final Fantasy VII, the thing that made it explode in popularity. I see way too much from the past that still has an active fanbase to lose hope for G4 being remembered. 

Love that comparison

• Brohoof 3

Doubt it'll be forgotten.

1. FIM is one of the first shows to begin the cartoon renaissance. Like Adventure Time just prior and other shows that aired in the upcoming years, FIM understood that good "children's shows" go beyond pandering to a specific demographic. When kids are treated with respect, the show gains a good rep.
  2. FIM impacted a whole lotta bronies beyond the surface. It not only gave bronies a sense of worth, but it saved some folks' lives; the best example I still recall is a one-time manestay (yes, pun intended ;)) donating $630 to the site to thank the show and fandom for saving his life.
  3. To add what @ShadOBabe and @Megas wrote above, 2021 is MLP's 40th anniversary, and G1's fanbase is still kicking. Dedicated fanbases, such as the Firefly fandom (despite being canceled during the first season), the Trekkies since the first Star Trek, Transformers, and Harry Potter don't whittle away so easily. Bronydom's too stubborn to quit; if G5 is good, bronies will surely adopt it into the fold.
  • Brohoof 6

The fandom won't die, and the show won't be forgotten.  No need to worry.

On an unrelated note, why is the forums suddenly putting these dotted underlines underneath a bunch of abbreviations?!  Every time I see MLP, FIM, G4, or G5 on the forums now, they have dotted lines under them.  The hell?

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

There are still fans of Star Wars, Star Trek, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, The Simpsons, and Spongebob, which are much older than MLP. Heck, I'm a huge fan of Jurassic Park, which was released in 1993! It will still have its fans, even decades into the future.