Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Generation 5 (MLP G5): What We Know So Far - Part 2 (February 26, 2021)

Dreamstar Moonlight

15 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

"In principle, the logo might be market-specific---i.e. some countries might get the new logo and others might not.  Hard telling."

Hm...that is certainly a possibility, but personally, I think they'll go with a new logo for G5. They always redesign the logo every time they move on to a new generation.

Hey---give it good writing, a nice conflict to drive the plot, and actual uses for each form in-story, and the concept of ponies-turning-into-humans could actually work

Totally!

15 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

@Dreamstar MoonlightThanks for sharing these tweets and all this information; I'm crossing my fingers at this point that the creators will [a] understand that we're worried it'll get all woke and preachy on us, and [b] assure us that that won't happen!  It sounds like the kind of thing they might do at this point.

My pleasure! And yep, we're all hoping they don't go overboard with the messages of the movie. Going off Imalou's words, the directors seem to have done their homework, so let's just be optimistic for now. As the saying goes, 'the proof is in the pudding'. Let's wait for an actual trailer to drop and see if we can gauge the tone of the movie. Until then, let's keep our fingers crossed and speculate or theorize or fantasize - or whatever else helps pass the time until we get more info!

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-27 at 5:11 AM, TheGleaner said:

I will never understand business no matter how much I end up in one. Spend all that money on something, it does "ok" and then idle it for...? Just forget about it, not improve it or work with it, just kinda leave it to fade. Granted the idea was somewhat poor in the first place, it apparently does fine for what it is now and for what it costs through Dish.

I figured they would be on discovery +.

That may be due to the fact Discovery Communications, not Hasbro, has majority ownership of Discovery Family (formerly The Hub). From 2010 to 2014, Hasbro and Discovery had joint control of the channel. Hasbro then decided to cut its losses and sold its majority stake to Discovery. Discovery has been cruising on reruns (apart from new MLP episodes) ever since.

Investing money into Discovery Family really isn't cost effective in 2021, especially when Discovery has shown little interest in taking risks.

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

Thanks for sharing these tweets and all this information; I'm crossing my fingers at this point that the creators will [a] understand that we're worried it'll get all woke and preachy on us, and [b] assure us that that won't happen!  It sounds like the kind of thing they might do at this point.

I think, given it seems they have recruited amongst the fandom for this, I will be cautiously optimistic. Its nice they have a self-confident male lead rather than the frequently-nerfed Spike (although given the merch, I am guessing he is still one step back from the mane mares), a cmc-like triumvirate rather than a mane 6 clone set, and clearly unique ponies with their own personalities. I am just sad it is going to be so long before they are introduced to us properly....

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Yellow Diamond said:

That may be due to the fact Discovery Communications, not Hasbro, has majority ownership of Discovery Family (formerly The Hub). From 2010 to 2014, Hasbro and Discovery had joint control of the channel. Hasbro then decided to cut its losses and sold its majority stake to Discovery. Discovery has been cruising on reruns (apart from new MLP episodes) ever since.

Investing money into Discovery Family really isn't cost effective in 2021, especially when Discovery has shown little interest in taking risks.

40% is still a decent chunk...also if I remember correctly if they valued that 40 at what they sold the 10, they lost money on it. 

Starting with the synopsis, I think it has the possibility of being well done, for the concept does intrigue me. Though if it is executed poorly, could end up being very bad. That being said, I'm hoping that it is executed well and that we are given good characters with a good plot. 

Moving on to the 3D style, I'd say it's okay; definitely not as bad as I thought it'd be. There are some things about it that are very weird and will tike a little while to get used to, but for the most part it's decent. The animation that we got to see in the gif looks pretty smooth and expressive, which is also a good sign.

Onto the characters, we have three seen in this style, and four seen so far. Out of the three in the 3D style, Izzy is my favorite because of both her nice design, and her seemingly fun and innocent personality (this is all just speculation based off of what I've seen, it's not been officially stated that that will be her personality). Plus, the fact that she has a tennis ball on her horn in the one picture intrigues me. Maybe the pegasi put it there to keep her from poking somepony, or to keep her from using magic XD. I also am eagerly awaiting the official reveal of Pipp (the pink pegasus)!

I am cautious and slightly wary on how this generation will end up, but overall I'm interested and excited to get more info as time goes on.

(edited)

Looking at the synopsis, there's a lot of questions that arise from this far future and it's predicament that need to be dealt with in a well thought out manner, some good world building, add some closure, depending on how things played out during and after Twilight's rule. That and how it could've gone so wrong, since G4 left them in a great spot, yet their society seems to have reverted back to where it was far before FiM, the "tribes" seperated again, no magic. Pretty dystopian in comparison...

What caused them to distance themselves from the "glory days" of Celestia & Luna / Twilight... Are there any far descendants to be found and in what manner have they tried to keep the values of the Mane 6 alive? Did they leave anything behind in teachings and relics to ensure what has been lost could eventually be restored? What even happened to them? How have most of the places seen in FiM (Ponyville in particular) fared since then? What has the current ruler and those before done in recent centuries? What happened to Spike, Discord, Luna, Celestia, other side characters, etc?

In any case, the Mane 6 seem to be remembered well enough for the main character to have an entire set of miniature characters. So there's that... Just saying, since it's an continuation of the story set by FiM, people remember these characters well, never take that lightly. Doesn't have to be answered in the movie alone, the subsequent show should provide ample opportunity for that.

Edited by Scelus
  • Brohoof 1

• The topic was unpinned