Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where are the Windigos? Ponies seem to now hate each other...

HereComesTom

On 2021-04-02 at 5:11 AM, Sonic Shimmer said:

I think they were just a legend.

They appeared the in the season 9 finale. They are, in fact, real in their universe.

(edited)

I honestly hope they don't as these particular characters are a part of indigenous American religion. Their inclusion in G4 was yet another appropriation and misrepresentation of their culture. 

https://www.backstoryradio.org/blog/the-mythology-and-misrepresentation-of-the-windigo/

As much as i love G4 the writers definitely committed cringe now and then when they tried to mimic different human cultures. More often than not it came off as parody which can be used effectively but when it's done in a way that perpetuates misrepresentation of real people's beliefs it's just bad. I hope G5 moves away from trying to emulate existing human society as much and focus on giving ponies their own unique ones. You can still have similar creatures. They just need to put more effort into making those creatures their own. 

Edited by ziddersroofurry

I heard a rumer that Friendship is Magic and Pony Life exist in this universe, but they exist as a show not actual history of things that happened in the past. That would also make more sense why Sunny has toys, a poster/posters?, pins, a bag, etc. She's a fan.

• Brohoof 1

I think they were destroyed for good in the series finale of FiM when Twilight, the rest of the Mane Six + Spike, the Young Six, and the Pillars unleashed that massive rainbow nuke on the Villain Trio, hence why there's no sign of them in G5.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

There's no magic... So no windigos

Considering there’s no magic to the point pegasi must use wires to have the illusion of flying, it suddenly became more logical 

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2021-04-11 at 6:35 PM, EpicEnergy said:

The synopsis for the movie didn't necessarily say that ponies hate each other. Windigos only appear when ponies are fighting each other and there is much hate, and the synopsis for the movie didn't say ponies hate and fight each other, it only said that there was paranoia and mistrust among the pony races.

That's what I'm thinking.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now when I have seen the G5 movie, and don't need to speculate. The windigos should have been there. The whole Equestria world is built about them terrorizing the world if not every pony race unite in friendship.

However, one event is enough to rewrite this plot. And everyone who has seen FIM Season 8 and up knows that things can change in just one episode. If anyone can defeat the windigos, it is the Mane 6, and maybe they were already defeated by them between Season 9 Episode 25 and Episode 26. A long time passed, and still, when G5 started, even Twilight's students could have found ways to remove them. With Josh Haber as a writer, such a plot could have even been removed in one single episode!

However, I do want this problem to be well addressed as part of the introduction to G5, instead of just assuming friendship was lost, but technology somehow became a thing? If technology can fix what friendship couldn't, then I don't see the need for magic at all!

on a different post I mentioned that activating the windigos did not meet the requirements in gen 5.... except at the later part where 3 pony races is about to go on a fight. where we can see the clouds are getting darker and grim.... hence the windigoes DID show up in gen 5. then when sunny broke up the fight the Light came back and it wasn't dark no more.

Well from rewatching episodes, powerful forces probably sent them away or worse destroyed them, my reference is the Mean 3

image.thumb.png.bdf04fe1ca7c5a6723f208b8309cf0da.png

it wouldn’t be surprising because everything that happened in G5 is exactly what they did in G4, they were able to turn pony against pony because it wasn’t hard to do and they said they would also destroy the Windigos to be thankful to them, maybe they somehow escaped and have done this

The Windigos mostly feed off of fighting and the hatred that can bring out of hearts. Within the present of Gen5 the 3 races are so far apart they freak out royally bad if they see each other. Since they are so far apart the Windigos have nothing to feed off of as when left alone, the 3 races are happy. Now if Sprout had actually succeed and his group not run off in terror, be a different ending altogether.

As for the theory that Gen4 was a TV show...who knows, I am sure in this future their adventures was made into a TV show at some point. But it is just far too early to be sure.

1 minute ago, Darkness Void said:

As for the theory that Gen4 was a TV show...who knows, I am sure in this future their adventures was made into a TV show at some point. But it is just far too early to be sure.

Sunny's father had collected actual artifacts from the G4 era, so the actual events of G4 are, as was emphasized in the early press releases, in their distant past.

I watched a G5/G4 lore vid that addressed this very subject. IIRC, it was speculated that the windigos didn't appear because even though there was serious mistrust between the pony races; the times were actually quite peaceful! This is quite different from the time before the founding of Equestria, as well as the attack by Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow.

Of course this likely isn't fool-proof, but there yah go.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Spooky Brony 42 said:

I don't consider G5 to be in the same universe as G4. So, for me, those kinds of questions are irrelevant.

Technically, they are in a 3D universe, so... Yea, works with me! :please:

• Brohoof 2