Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Military (or military affiliated) Bronies?

Twiliscael

I was having an argument with my brother who said that all bronies are on the lower end of the masculine side of the human race(typical hater stuff) and I asked him what he thinks is the most masculine thing he could think if and he said a soldier. I (unlike most in this generation) understand the sacrafice and hardships soldiers endure to keep us safe so i was wondering: has anypony ever, present or past served in war? If it's not too much to ask of course.

Edited by ADashOfRainbow

There's a lot of bronies that are serving in war. In fact, one of the members of these forums got deployed to Afghanistan not too long ago.

Yup, Jawmuncher I believe.

Yup, Jawmuncher I believe.

Yeah it was Jawmuncher.

Back on topic: I'm interested in joining the Marines when I feel the time is right. I'm only 14 now so it would have to be a dream that waits until I come of age. :)

I have not and do not intend to. I will even refuse conscription.

But this is my belief that wars are started by nations and often don't actually serve the people of the nation.

• Brohoof 7

Yeah it was Jawmuncher.

Back on topic: I'm interested in joining the Marines when I feel the time is right. I'm only 14 now so it would have to be a dream that waits until I come of age. :)

Theres a recruitment center near the baseball field i play at. Theyre always training the recruits on the other field and using baseballs as grenades :P

Its rather interesting though.

• Brohoof 2

Theres a recruitment center near the baseball field i play at. Theyre always training the recruits on the other field and using baseballs as grenades :P

Its rather interesting though.

That's awesome! This summer I'm going to Parris Island for a week as a part of the Young Marines. I can't wait :D
  • Brohoof 1

I won't deny that I always wanted to fly the AH-64 Apache back when I was a kid (flying one of them still sounds fun to me to this very day). However, as I got older, I realized that wars are fought in the interests of a tiny, wealthy minority of this nation. Consequently, I have never served in the military, and I never will; I am not going to risk serious injury, PTSD, or death for Wall Street.

Admittedly, given my major depressive disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, and history of tension type headaches for the past two years, I am most likely not eligible for military service, but I still would not serve if I were able to do as such.

I don't want anypony to have to deal with injury, PTSD, or death. The troops need to be brought home now!

Edited by M14Brony

I won't deny that I always wanted to fly the AH-64 Apache back when I was a kid (flying one of them still sounds fun to me to this very day). However, as I got older, I realized that wars are fought in the interests of a tiny, wealthy minority of this nation. Consequently, I have never served in the military, and I never will; I am not going to risk serious injury, PTSD, or death for Wall Street.

Admittedly, given my major depressive disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, and history of tension type headaches for the past two years, I am most likely not eligible for military service, but I still would not serve if I were able to do as such.

I don't want anypony to have to deal with injury, PTSD, or death. The troops need to be brought home now!

Give it a year or two and they will be. things are alot better over there than what your here from the news. Parts of the afghan military are pretty good now just needs a little more training for the rest and they will be able to keep the country secure on their own. If they left now it would go back to the same hell hole it was before

I'd willingly join the military if I was drafted or something...(once I'm old enough, of course). otherwise, I probably wouldn't go near a recruiting station with a ten-foot pole. Not the peacetime job for me.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah it was Jawmuncher.

Start training now.

;)

Having several members of my family in various branches of the armed forces, I do respect the work they are forced to do.

That said, I don't agree with many of our current conflicts, and wouldn't join by choice.

Give it a year or two and they will be. things are alot better over there than what your here from the news. Parts of the afghan military are pretty good now just needs a little more training for the rest and they will be able to keep the country secure on their own. If they left now it would go back to the same hell hole it was before

Taking a country that does not want an occupying force to begin with is easier said than done. The USA will go down in history as yet another superpower that failed to take Afghanistan. The death of civilians as a result of "collateral damage" and the burning of Korans only serve to act as a "recruiting sergeant" for the Taliban. Public opinon continues to swing against this war due to its predatory and unwinnable nature.

Fun fact: US politicians backed the Mujahideen (the precursor to the Taliban) during the Soviet-Afghan War. These fundamentalist reactionaries turned out to be a Frankenstein's monster that got out of control and bit the hand that fed it. This foreign policy resulted in numerous deaths at the dawn of the 21st Century, and these deaths continue to this day. George Washington advised against getting caught up in foreign entanglements for a reason. I reiterate that I am not pleased with the risks some users of this board will be subjected to due to the blunders of politicians in the late 1970's and 1980's. :(

The USA will go down in history as yet another superpower that failed to take Afghanistan.

On paper, we could. It's a matter of everyone else's nukes. No one wants to start that pissing match.

• Brohoof 1

Taking a country that does not want an occupying force to begin with is easier said than done. The USA will go down in history as yet another superpower that failed to take Afghanistan. The death of civilians as a result of "collateral damage" and the burning of Korans only serve to act as a "recruiting sergeant" for the Taliban. Public opinon continues to swing against this war due to its predatory and unwinnable nature.

Fun fact: US politicians backed the Mujahideen (the precursor to the Taliban) during the Soviet-Afghan War. These fundamentalist reactionaries turned out to be a Frankenstein's monster that got out of control and bit the hand that fed it. This foreign policy resulted in numerous deaths at the dawn of the 21st Century, and these deaths continue to this day. George Washington advised against getting caught up in foreign entanglements for a reason. I reiterate that I am not pleased with the risks some users of this board will be subjected to due to the blunders of politicians in the late 1970's and 1980's. :(

While I understand where you are coming from, I would be lying if I said that I didn't support every brony here that is currently serving their country. They don't get to pick what war they fight or why. The simple fact that they are willing to go out and defend their country on a whim takes more courage than anything else I've seen. That being said, I never got the chance to do so myself due to medical restrictions, and while I do not agree with the people "in charge" of the united States Military, I still back my military and my homeland 100% enough to say that if anything threatened this nation, and I mean legitimately threatened us, I would do everything I can to defend it.

And while we sit here and say that what they fight for is a worthless cause, or run completely by Politicians, we forget that the primary Objective for going into Afghanistan was 9/11. Osama Bin Laden was the primary target of Afghanistan. I'm not sure what it's turned into at this point. After Bin Laden was killed, I stopped following the Afgan war, and to me, the fact that we brought the person Responsible for the Largest attack on US Soil in the history of the United States is a win for me. I will admit I disagree with Iraq, but still, we in the end, took out Sudam Hussain as well, who had been causing havoc, and while I don't necessarily support the occupation of Iraq, I do admit that it was necessary or Iraq would have killed themselves through civil war. We did what we thought was necessary to protect the country and keep it alive on its own. So while I disagree with this call, I understand it.

but back to the topic at hand, have I served in a war? No, Would if if I was given a chance to? buck yes. I am an American, and I am proud to fight for my country. I think the same can be said for most other nationalities as well.

• Brohoof 2

The main problem i have with the us policy in afghanistan *besides the morons who take pictures with dead bodies and burn korans) its that we went in without a clear plan. we pretty much pulled another viet nam strategy wise. After the taliban was put out of power we just set up our bases and went out on patrols. If we had just steam rolled them into a corner right from the start things would have been more successful sooner we gave them time to regroup and to gain new members from the stupid crap we would do (koran burnings for example) but i have to disagree on us losing afghanistan now i wont say it was the most successful military campaign we've had but the country is better off than it was before. maybe not a lot better but something is beter than nothing. When my brother in law got back from this last deployment he showed me all the letters he got from afghan's, not people in power even but regular people in his area of command thanking him and his troops for what they have done and for making their lives better. Were we perfect? heck no trying to occupy a country and fix as many problems it has is a obnoxiously difficult task. just look at how long we had an occupying force in germany after world war 2. Plus it doesnt help when pakistan who is supposed to be our ally is harboring and arming the people we are fighting.

I agree with you on the second poing out policies of the past couple decades were terrible. (Thanks mr kissinger!) and of course we supported the mujahideen. after the russians helped give us a nice black eye in viet nam the us jumped on the opportunity to do it back was it the best decision? probably not but all we can do now is not make the poor decisions of the past

Edited by Postty

That's awesome! This summer I'm going to Parris Island for a week as a part of the Young Marines. I can't wait :D

Thats cool! I'm part of the young marines too.I was suppose to go to the rifle range with my Squad a few days ago,but it got canceled.

I was always interested in the military ever since I was little.

• Brohoof 1

I tried to join, but thanks to several health issues, they never let me into the Marines.

Beside myself, there are several soldiers that are bornies. I know a few, and most of them tell me the same thing: the show makes them smile, laugh, and helps them cope with whatever happened the them overseas.

They also tell me that there are a few bases where they play the show on a regular basis.

• Brohoof 1

Start training now.

;)

I'm in the Young Marines ;)

Thats cool! I'm part of the young marines too.I was suppose to go to the rifle range with my Squad a few days ago,but it got canceled.

I was always interested in the military ever since I was little.

That's awesome! Cool to hear from other Young Marines!
  • Brohoof 1