Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Military (or military affiliated) Bronies?

Twiliscael

I have not and do not intend to. I will even refuse conscription.

But this is my belief that wars are started by nations and often don't actually serve the people of the nation.

I have never advocated war except as a means of peace.

- Ulysses S. Grant

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.

- John Adams

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

And finally, from the philosopher John Stuart Mill:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

I do not believe war is a good thing. War is a terrible atrocity that sucks the lifeblood from the human race.

But what I see as a greater sin, is when a man, group or country attempts to delay an inevitable war by appeasing a belligerent.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

- Benjamin Franklin

Tich, I will not blame you for your beliefs, as I believe in this paraphrased quote from Voltaire: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I will fight for what I believe, if fighting is necessary. Sometimes, an aggressor can only be stopped by force, because they percieve that force is the only tool available to them.

There is a reason France and Britan aren't speaking German, and America, China and Australia aren't speaking Japanese.

Interesting how I'm writing this on Anzac Day...

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

Edited by DJ Raptor
  • Brohoof 1

No, I wanted to join the airforce but due to my already existing PTSD they turned me away. I don't agree with war either, but as someone who has friends and family as veterans and friends entering or already in active duty military I do support our troops. War is awful, dirty, bloody, and the emotional scars it leaves never go away. People join the military because they want to serve their nation, protect their familes or need a way to better their lives. *gets off soapbox and apologizes* but yes I know bronies in the military and a friend of mine says humming the songs through basic really helped him through it :)

• Brohoof 1

Jawmuncher.

I have not and do not intend to. I will even refuse conscription.

But this is my belief that wars are started by nations and often don't actually serve the people of the nation.

so if you were call apon to defend your country right in time of need you would let them kill your fellow country men and women whit out a fight i think thats a little bit harsh and as for Jawmuncher he is a great man and a hero to me and alot of ppl here war is bad but peace keeping is great god save the queen and god bless america solders like him my grand papa are heros and gave there time and life so you and me could live in peace and harmony

and yes i would join the canadien army if call apon for duty like my great grampa did my grampa and now me i will laydown my life for every pony here are right have a cost and im happy to pay it by serving for my country love you all

I feel misunderstood by some ponies here.

I would put it like this. Going to war in another country, not my thing, I have no quarrel with any other people, I don't blame other people for the actions of the few. And I honestly don't feel like interfering with the daily affairs of others. Fighting others is not something I wish to do. Mostly because from the point I start fighting others, I am really no longer innocent myself. I am committing what I feel to be crimes. And destroying what I have of integrity as an individual. While others may not have these kinds of problems, I do, I would have huge problems with my conscience as a result of fighting in a war.

Additionally if war were to come here again. I would much rather help people flee the war zone, then to take part in the destruction of it. I am not patriotic, and I do not feel obliged to protect my country. Perhaps this comes from my own perception of how the country is run and how other people here just are. But that doesn't matter.

I don't resent anyone who feels differently. Because this is your choice. But don't tell me I should feel guilty for having my own choices.

• Brohoof 1

I feel misunderstood by some ponies here.

I would put it like this. Going to war in another country, not my thing, I have no quarrel with any other people, I don't blame other people for the actions of the few. And I honestly don't feel like interfering with the daily affairs of others. Fighting others is not something I wish to do. Mostly because from the point I start fighting others, I am really no longer innocent myself. I am committing what I feel to be crimes. And destroying what I have of integrity as an individual. While others may not have these kinds of problems, I do, I would have huge problems with my conscience as a result of fighting in a war.

Additionally if war were to come here again. I would much rather help people flee the war zone, then to take part in the destruction of it. I am not patriotic, and I do not feel obliged to protect my country. Perhaps this comes from my own perception of how the country is run and how other people here just are. But that doesn't matter.

I don't resent anyone who feels differently. Because this is your choice. But don't tell me I should feel guilty for having my own choices.

Whether or not you support the people of a country, or how a country is run doesn't matter. I HATE how the US government runs things at the moment, and I don't know but maybe .01% of the 270 million people that live here, but I would still defend every person in the US. Why? because it's the right thing to do. What you are basically saying, is that you would willing let other people die in order to protect you while you ran away, but you would refuse to return the favor and protect the very person that just protected you from getting shot. THAT, in my opinion, is the lowest thing I have ever heard from an individual.

In my honest Opinion, anypony that would refuse to pick up a gun and help defend the people that are trying to help defend you, and willing let them die for the sake of not liking a government, doesn't have the right to call themselves an American/Insert Nationality here. My Grandfather was in Korea, My uncle was in The Gulf War, Two of my best friends got sent to Afghanistan, and one of my other friends serve 4 tours in Iraq. These are the people that hold my respect because their nation called on them, for whatever reason and they didn't complain about anything. It's people like them that give you the ability to sit here and say that you would let these same people die because you don't care about how a country is run or the people in it.

As I said before, I hate the United States Government, but the United States is my country, and if anything stepped foot on my country with malicious intent, I would be waiting. I have a pawn shop in the very city I live in that sells assault rifles, and ammunition for them. I will defend my honor as an American, and even though I completely disagree with your statement, I would defend your right to make it.

Edited by Ice Storm
  • Brohoof 2

-snip-

I'm not an American, so American principles do not apply to me.

What I find difficult to understand here is that you simply are not willing to read what I said, I mentioned in the second situation, that I much rather help people get out of trouble then look for trouble myself.

Also I will not go fight abroad, yet all you mention are wars abroad, wars abroad are never about defense but are all about offense. You can never claim that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are for defense. Because that is pure propaganda. The US is not there for defense.

Defense would actually be in the US. I live very close to ancient World War 1 front lines. And I have seen the German coastal defenses. That was defense, which is a matter completely different.

I would point out that cultural differences here are present, the US has not had a major devastating war being fought throughout the land. It has never been on the defense (Except for Pearl Harbour incident). So it is a major difference.

One thing is true, I do not identify with my nationality at all. And I never will.

• Brohoof 1

What I find difficult to understand here is that you simply are not willing to read what I said, I mentioned in the second situation, that I much rather help people get out of trouble then look for trouble myself.

Also I will not go fight abroad, yet all you mention are wars abroad, wars abroad are never about defense but are all about offense. You can never claim that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are for defense. Because that is pure propaganda. The US is not there for defense.

Defense would actually be in the US. I live very close to ancient World War 1 front lines. And I have seen the German coastal defenses. That was defense, which is a matter completely different.

I would point out that cultural differences here are present, the US has not had a major devastating war being fought throughout the land. It has never been on the defense (Except for Pearl Harbour incident). So it is a major difference.

One thing is true, I do not identify with my nationality at all. And I never will.

Yes the war in afghanistan was offensive we were attacked by a group that was operating freely out of that country and it was an act of war. The reasoning behind the iraq war was a little more vague with the whole wmd thing. So no they werent defensive battles but when there is a threat you fix the problem you dont just leave it be.

I would have to say the civil war we fought was a pretty devastating war that was fought here.

Also im not sure german costal defenses are the best example of not going on the offensive and strictly having defensive measures since they helped start wwI and were the main cause of wwII.

But at the end of the day everyone here is going to have a different opinion on serving, reasons for going to war, nationalism and the like. im glad this has all be a civil debate is refreshing from the usual internet debates that spiral into an insult match

• Brohoof 1

I'm planning on joining the air force after high school, mainly on computers, their my skill. As for war, I'm fine with it, however, its an ugly thing to see. :(
  • Brohoof 1

I'm planning on joining the air force after high school, mainly on computers, their my skill. As for war, I'm fine with it, however, its an ugly thing to see. :(

"War is bad. Of course it is, theres no doubt about it! But I am pro-war. Why? Because war is neccesary."
  • Brohoof 1

I have no intention of feeding the MIC, and I side with president Eisenhower on this one.

Also from my viewpoint, soldiers are essentially janitors cleaning up for the incompetence of their leaders, that is all there is to it.

Stop putting words in Tich's mouth, guys.

I too don't feel loyalty to any country in particular. However, I greatly appreciate the courage US soldiers show to defend their country.

I'm not about to say the world would be a better place if it were like Equestria and peace reigned supreme - it's human nature to compete. It's virtually impossible to see a world where one person rules over everything.

However, because of our nature, we are driven to conflict. If I see someone walking out of a store with the newest handheld Tablet while I'm sitting on the street corner tapping some bark with a stick, I'm going to wonder why I can't have better things as well. (Don't point out the obvious - I know there could be various factors that would make a successful person different from a homeless man.)

I doubt we'll live to see the day when war is eradicated from the world and independent countries can get along.

Still, if someone invaded my country, I would feel threatened and concerned for my family's safety. With the media's tainted and misused content, its not hard to convince others that the US soldiers mean harm to citizens in Afghanistan. They rarely emphasize moral stories and don't bring attention to the progress US soldiers have made in foreign countries. War isn't only the killing of others. The Us has done much to help the Middle East, but we only know about the fighting going on over there.

...I don't even... Bleh.

I don't support war, but I support our soldiers.

If someone threatens me, I will fight.

... In the end though, it all boils down to priority.

I'd rather save hundreds of people through evacuation than stay and risk their lives.

Stuff can be resolved peacefully, y'know...

So join the medical corps.

Whether or not you support the people of a country, or how a country is run doesn't matter. I HATE how the US government runs things at the moment, and I don't know but maybe .01% of the 270 million people that live here, but I would still defend every person in the US. Why? because it's the right thing to do. What you are basically saying, is that you would willing let other people die in order to protect you while you ran away, but you would refuse to return the favor and protect the very person that just protected you from getting shot. THAT, in my opinion, is the lowest thing I have ever heard from an individual.

In my honest Opinion, anypony that would refuse to pick up a gun and help defend the people that are trying to help defend you, and willing let them die for the sake of not liking a government, doesn't have the right to call themselves an American/Insert Nationality here. My Grandfather was in Korea, My uncle was in The Gulf War, Two of my best friends got sent to Afghanistan, and one of my other friends serve 4 tours in Iraq. These are the people that hold my respect because their nation called on them, for whatever reason and they didn't complain about anything. It's people like them that give you the ability to sit here and say that you would let these same people die because you don't care about how a country is run or the people in it.

As I said before, I hate the United States Government, but the United States is my country, and if anything stepped foot on my country with malicious intent, I would be waiting. I have a pawn shop in the very city I live in that sells assault rifles, and ammunition for them. I will defend my honor as an American, and even though I completely disagree with your statement, I would defend your right to make it.

*brohoof*, especially the last paragraph. I live in Australia, so the political climate is different (though I still hate the federal government right now anyway)

But its not about defending a government, is it? Its about defending the people.

A soldier who fights for holour and glory will surrender after the first week.

A true soldier, who fights for the libery and freedom of his people, will never surrender.

EDIT:

--snip--

With the media's tainted and misused content, its not hard to convince others that the US soldiers mean harm to citizens in Afghanistan. They rarely emphasize moral stories and don't bring attention to the progress US soldiers have made in foreign countries. War isn't only the killing of others. The Us has done much to help the Middle East, but we only know about the fighting going on over there.

Thats because the media is in bed with far left politics, and far left politics is delusional and thinks that siding with Muslim Fundamentalists (mistakenly called Extremists by anyone who hasn't read the Koran) will help them solve the 'problem' of Christianity, religion in general, the right wing of politics and help them create a communist world government.

BUT THATS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DEBATE ALTOGETHER. Back to your regularily scheduled programming.

Edited by DJ Raptor

well as a canadien who has alot of my family serve for the army i suport the us and there arm force fighting abroad for othere ppl freedom is part of peace keeping and these men and women are heros and serve to protect my freedom

god save the queen god bless america we serve to protect freedom and to stand up in the face of danger.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

post-4621-0-13519400-1339033428.jpeg

I grew up in an US Air Force family, and that has really affected my life. I am also in AFJROTC in my high school. My school has a really good mix of military and local students, but you can really see how that divides us. Most military kids bond better with military kids, so we all tend to join AFJROTC in our school.

I was wondering how many bronies might have a military background. This includes Active duty, Reserve, Retired, Spouse, Military Brat (in or once in a military family), JROTC, ROTC, Academy and any other things I may have forgotten. (also if you are thinking of joining)

I was also curious about other Countries and their militaries. I know that there many people not from the US on the Forums, and it would be cool to hear what they have to say also (I don't know how different other countries' militaries are, so feel free to enlighten us)

Just talk about your lives and what it is like for you being affiliated with the military.

I'm Curious to what you will say

Rules: (I'm sorry for so many rules. I think this is a passionate topic for some and we don't want any international incidents...)

No Arguing about Which branch is best

No Political arguments

No International disputes

No Discussions about certain missions, operation, wars, or campaigns (ie, the assassination of Bin Laden)

No Top Secret Stuff (seriously, do I need to tell you this?)

No Overstating (or lying) about your job or position

If you are Anti-Military, I recommend you don't talk about it here.

Use common sense, this is a My Little Pony forum!

Edited by Anony-Brony
  • Brohoof 1

You start off as nothing then Private,PFC, then so forth...

That's... Not exactly what I meant, but thats OK.

How is Army JROTC? In AFJROTC, we study courtesies, airpower, intenational affairs, things like that

(edited)
Has plans of joining the service after high school, possibly army, air force, or Illinois national guard. Edited by SamtheLegoman
  • Brohoof 2

That's... Not exactly what I meant, but thats OK.

How is Army JROTC? In AFJROTC, we study courtesies, airpower, intenational affairs, things like that

Well leadership(Main thing), We do a lot of marching, thats it really, we recentially did a health class(CPR, that sort of stuff). It's okay i guess...

Well leadership(Main thing), We do a lot of marching, thats it really, we recentially did a health class(CPR, that sort of stuff). It's okay i guess...

In our main classes, we just learn like it's a normal class. We do PT once a week and not that much marching

It's funny, We were thinking since we learned about Airplanes, Army ROTC learns about weapons and Navy ROTC learns about ships.

Is it a really good ROTC? Our's considered one of the best in the area (if you look at our competition, you see why)

I am an enlisted Combat Medic in the US Army.

I leave for Basic Training October 22nd 2012 to Fort Jackson South Carolina. I will attend AIT at For Sam Houston, Texas.

I hope the best for you. I'm sure you will do well.