Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn Ascension in G5

ShadOBabe

It would admittedly tread ground that we’ve already tread in G4, but with it being the same universe, it IS possible.

Also if we have a “Mane 4” this time and Sunny, Hitch, Izzy, and Pipp are the extent of our main characters, then we have TWO Earth ponies. If Sunny or Hitch eventually ascended, it would make a quad of the four most notable pony races.

(Though if they even slightly considering this, I hope they wait longer than they did with Twilight.)

HOWEVER, if Sunny or Hitch DO become alicorns, I am gonna gloat like nobody’s business, because the popular “only unicorns can ascend” theory (which isn’t true, Cadence pegasus, but people think it anyway) pisses me off and I hate it.

”Hey kids, you can only reach demigod status if you’re born the right race, LOL, sorry not sorry!”

Regardless what are you thoughts? You want ascension to come back? Or should they stay away from it 100%? Somewhere in the middle?

• Brohoof 4

It would be more interesting to have one of the Earth Ponies ascend, then at least between G4 and G5 we'll see all three pony tribes ascend to Alicorns.

I'm a little worried about Alicorns in general for G5, I need more info on what their role in this De-Harmonized Equestria is.  The leaked info, if true, paints a picture of a committee of Alicorns that have become prideful beings perfectly okay with, or even created, the racial divide.  Without Magic in Equestria, what really is an Alicorn anymore?  Can ascension even happen without Magic?  Are they all natural born Alicorns like Flurry and didn't go through the ascension process?  How are the Sun and Moon being raised?

I suppose returning Magic to Equestria could be the deed worthy of ascension.  Maybe we'll get to explore more about Alicorn origins and how they work in G5.

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, Rising Dusk said:

I'm a little worried about Alicorns in general for G5, I need more info on what their role in this De-Harmonized Equestria is.  The leaked info, if true, paints a picture of a committee of Alicorns that have become prideful beings perfectly okay with, or even created, the racial divide.

Agreed. Definitely more info needed. Though I’m not a fan of the ultimate force for good in-universe being turned into a force for evil, at least in MLP, it’s certainly not an unprecedented swerve to take in fiction.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I hope they don't have any alicorn ascension in g5. Back in g4, when twilight became an alicorn, the friendship dynamic of the mane six changed. It felt as if Twilight was now on a higher pedestal than the rest, and it made her as a characters less relatable. I at least don't want any of our new main characters to ascend into alicornship, because it could really mess with the group dynamic, just like Twilight's ascension did. Plus, just like with Twilight's alicornship, it would mess with the two from each pony species thing they have going on. So overall, I hope that g5 does not bother with any alicorn ascension.

31 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

To be honest, I hope they don't have any alicorn ascension in g5. Back in g4, when twilight became an alicorn, the friendship dynamic of the mane six changed. It felt as if Twilight was now on a higher pedestal than the rest, and it made her as a characters less relatable.

Understandable. To this very day I think I still prefer unicorn Twilight, but I think Ascension is fine as long as it’s way further into the show. If you split FiM into three sections, with three seasons per section, then freakin’ DEMIGODHOOD came at the end of the first third!

32 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

Plus, just like with Twilight's alicornship, it would mess with the two from each pony species thing they have going on. So overall, I hope that g5 does not bother with any alicorn ascension.

Unless I missed something, I mentioned this in my original post.

Is it confirmed we’re getting six main characters? Because right now, it looks like we’re getting just FOUR, and two are the same race. So it would actually even out the balance if one of the Earth ponies ascended.

Though hey, I’m certainly not offended by Earth pony majority.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
50 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Is it confirmed we’re getting six main characters? Because right now, it looks like we’re getting just FOUR, and two are the same race. So it would actually even out the balance if one of the Earth ponies ascended.

Nothing confirmed, but the first post in the "What We Know pt 1" thread shows an image of 5 main character toys. Besides Pipp, there's also Zipp, and they are both pegasi. (And might be twins considering their similar names, which in retrospect now makes it less likely Sunny and Hitch are siblings.) If the final tally is 5, then the unicorns are the one race under-represented, though perhaps another unicorn would be added to the cast by the end of the movie or by the start of the series?

Thinking about this further, most of G4's run only featured a single unicorn, too - Rarity. Twilight got promoted so the unicorns were under-represented there as well, something I didn't even realize until now, lol. I guess if Hasbro was truly intent on trying to repeat the formula for success of G4, it actually wouldn't surprise me if a late-added 6th character also ended up being an alicorn.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

I hope we don't get any ascensions in g5. In FiM it was an obvious thing to happen because having a direct pupil for local goddess could only end up that way, though making it without ending the show at it was the biggest bullshit they pulled out. Bigger bullshit than natural born alicorns. Bigger bullshit than school of friendship.

I feel is more appealing to keep our mane 4 the way they are. Having an earth save the world while staying earth is like saying "hey there, she's so badass she doesn't need no asspulled powerups."

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Agreed. Definitely more info needed. Though I’m not a fan of the ultimate force for good in-universe being turned into a force for evil, at least in MLP, it’s certainly not an unprecedented swerve to take in fiction.

It's a tired trope I'd prefer avoided.

Murky waters are being treaded when wanting to make a story in an already existing world. Harder to be new and original while tip toeing around pre-established rules. 

I wouldn't mind a more, "The world doesn't need Alicorns anymore," approach. But sadly that won't sell toys.

2 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Though hey, I’m certainly not offended by Earth pony majority

Confirmed, no. Just the leaks they talked about in the big info dump talking about other creatures being part of the mane cast. A batpony, kirin, changeling and hippogriff if I remember. 

The cast we 'know' about like Hitch or Sunny, could just be movie characters and not be as big a part in the TV show.

There's nothing wrong with alicorn ascension. The one important thing to me is that it has to be valid and substantial. Looking back at Twilight's ascension, I do wish it could've been more than just fixing a spell. I would've honestly prefered for it to be a two-parter and of course, not be continuously spoiled. 

If there were to be an alicorn ascension in G5, I would love to see an earth pony ascend (like others have stated)

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Though hey, I’m certainly not offended by Earth pony majority.

From leaks it appears that we may be getting a main cast of six, two from each species, just like g4 (Sunny, Izzy, Pipp, Hitch, Zipp, and a sixth one - possibly a male unicorn). Though you are right on Earth Ponies most likely being a central focus, since the main protagonist is one. This is neat and all, but I'd say that pegasi were more underutilized in g4 than Earth ponies, because earth ponies at least got lots of screen time. Since it looks like the main character will be an Earth Pony, I fear that once again pegasi may be sidelined. It doesn't seem like a pegasus is ever the main protagonist when it comes to My Little Pony.

(edited)
1 hour ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

There's nothing wrong with alicorn ascension. The one important thing to me is that it has to be valid and substantial. Looking back at Twilight's ascension, I do wish it could've been more than just fixing a spell. I would've honestly prefered for it to be a two-parter and of course, not be continuously spoiled. 

If there were to be an alicorn ascension in G5, I would love to see an earth pony ascend (like others have stated)

In "The Crystaling" it was stated that the alicorn upgrade is normally bestowed upon a pony for performing some "princess-worthy task", implying that it's normally a cosmic reward for proving one's self worthy of such power. It certainly would be cool to see a pony ascend in that fashion.  Letting it happen to an earth pony would be a nice way to dispel the "unicorn master race" stuff.

Edited by HedonismBot
  • Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

In "The Crystaling" it was stated that the alicorn upgrade is normally bestowed upon a pony for performing some "princess-worthy task", implying that it's normally a cosmic reward for proving one's self worthy of such power. It certainly would be cool to see a pony ascend in that fashion.  Letting it happen to an earth pony would be a nice way to dispel the "unicorn master race" stuff.

It doesn't help that Alicorns, who are suppose to be a union of all three tribes, haven't shown what they gain from Earth Ponies. We see Twilight learn to fly and can infer Cadence had to learn magic as a former Pegasus but we don't see Earth Pony powers highlighted.

It'd be interesting to watch Sunny have to learn both flight and magic.  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Rising Dusk said:

It doesn't help that Alicorns, who are suppose to be a union of all three tribes, haven't shown what they gain from Earth Ponies. We see Twilight learn to fly and can infer Cadence had to learn magic as a former Pegasus but we don't see Earth Pony powers highlighted.

It'd be interesting to watch Sunny have to learn both flight and magic.  

It’s canon that Earth Ponies are the physically strongest race, that being what Tirek took from them when he first appeared up in the show. But that’s not really something you’d have to teach.

If anything you’d have to learn to reel BACK the strength if you’re a newly ascended unicorn or pegasus. The restraint is what needed to be learned, but that’s less entertaining than watching newly fledged Twilight crash headfirst into the dirt.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

It’s canon that Earth Ponies are the physically strongest race, that being what Tirek took from them when he first appeared up in the show. But that’s not really something you’d have to teach.

If anything you’d have to learn to reel BACK the strength if you’re a newly ascended unicorn or pegasus. The restrain is what needed to be learned, but that’s less entertaining than watching newly fledged Twilight crash headfirst into the dirt.

There's also the "green hoof" power, though in canon no alicorn has expressed any interest in agriculture. It might be interesting to see a unicorn of pegasus ascend and then play around with that.

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

If anything you’d have to learn to reel BACK the strength if you’re a newly ascended unicorn or pegasus. The restraint is what needed to be learned, but that’s less entertaining than watching newly fledged Twilight crash headfirst into the dirt.

That would make sense, plus their plant powers, but again, just not something that is seen or highlighted. 

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

Yeah, I guess she counts as a main protagonist. Though that was just for a 22 minute pilot special, which isn't quite as glorious as being the lead of an entire show.

But also the most marketed pony from g1.

(edited)
On 2021-03-04 at 5:32 AM, ShadOBabe said:

HOWEVER, if Sunny or Hitch DO become alicorns, I am gonna gloat like nobody’s business, because the popular “only unicorns can ascend” theory (which isn’t true, Cadence pegasus, but people think it anyway) pisses me off and I hate it.

DISOWNED

Don't forget Cozy Glow pegasus. ;) Sawtooth Waves had a whole theory debunking the notion about how being an alicorn is "special". More than ever now, we're looking back at people going on about...

"ALICORNS ARE ALMIGHTY IMMORTAL GODS!" 

...and going, "Um...not really.". It's possible Celestia and Luna passed on their immortality to Twilight in the finale and it's possible Twilight's dead in G5 too. Even if that's not the case, think of it this way. If the alicorn rulers were literally alive forever, they'd have to serve their nation forever. I would definitely not mind seeing an earth pony ascend in G5, but it's definitely no big deal. 

DISOWNED

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Please disregard this post, I have disowned my position.

11 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

If the alicorn rulers were literally alive forever, they'd have to serve their nation forever.

Not sure why you think this. Only thing keeping Celestia and Luna from quitting was having no one they trusted to take over.

(edited)
On 2021-03-04 at 4:11 PM, ShadOBabe said:

Not sure why you think this. Only thing keeping Celestia and Luna from quitting was having no one they trusted to take over.

DISOWNED

And they needed to abdicate their position to an alicorn, or else they might have had to step back in again when the new ruler died of old age. Either way, someone's stuck ruling the kingdom for a long time. Wouldn't you get bored of ruling a kingdom for so long and want to move on eventually? 

On 2021-03-04 at 4:15 PM, HedonismBot said:

Cozy Glow didn't technically ascend - she was artificially infused with magic from Grogar's bell.

Magic is magic either way. The point is that it cheapens the whole alicorn thing being "special". 

DISOWNED

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Please disregard this post, I have disowned my position.