Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Nightmare's Return (1x1 with Explosionmare)

Props Valroa

@ExplosionMare

Afterglow would have instantly jolted up. There was no room for a response from him since as soon as Nightmare Moon appeared, she had vanished. Afterglow woke up as quickly as possible. He jolted awake out of bed, his heart was racing. Quickly, he threw on Moonlight was asleep in the bed with him, as he quickly remembered he had a shared room with her. He quickly shook her awake and she had woke up, startled. Afterglow told her what was going on and she had quickly also gotten ready. 

Afterglow and Moonlight quickly got their guard gear on and had ran out of the room. No time to brush their teeth. Although as they got ready Moonlight used her magic to comb hers and Afterglow's manes and tails so they would at least look presentable. Quickly, they both put on deodorant as to not smell off putting for the others.

With no other time, they both ran out and quickly informed the guards who were on duty of Nightmare Moon's orders. Like clockwork, the guard's hollering and shouting spread throughout the castle and all of the guards would proceed to get ready. Also included to be woken up were Twilight, Smart Planner, and Inkwell. Rainbow Dash had woken Twilight up. All of the guards were frazzled, their manes and tales a mess (at least for the ones that were woken up).

Twilight's mane was horrendous as well as her tail. She stood there in the hall with Rainbow Dash, dazed and confused. Smart Planner as much the same, and Inkwell had rushed off to try to find Nightmare Moon. As she was her personal aide, she had to be there with her for whatever was going on. 

Nightmare Moon saw nothing. There was nothing amiss in the waking world, at least from what she could see. Construction in the city continued, everything was normal. 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

The guards had awoken frantically. There were shouts coming from every corner of the castle in order to ensure that everypony was awake. Nightmare personally wished they had been quieter in order not to alarm the potential threat, but at least this way everypony was ready in a decent time.

She made sure every guard was in their place. There needed to be guards on every side of the castle in order to keep it protected. When she was able to see everypony at their positions, she made her way to the highest peak. She stopped midair, however, when she noticed Inkwell looking around frantically. She was probably looking for the empress. Swiftly, she swooped down in order to inform the mare of her presence.

“I will be at the highest point on the castle. You shall stay a step below me.” she dictated, hinting to the mare that standing at the highest point was some sort of status right according to her. “Ensure that Twilight has the proper material ready for me in case there is reason to attack, then you may join me.”

Once again, the empress sped off and perched herself on top of the castle. Although the moonlight was not nearly as strong as the sun was, it still managed to form an eerie shadow over Nightmare. All that was visible of her was half of her face and parts of her hooves. Her head was dipped down in a predatory manner with her fangs hanging over her lips threateningly. Her wings were spread out wide as if she were able to fence the entire castle with them. She wanted to make it more than clear that she was a threat of her own and that any challenger would suffer dire consequences if they were dumb enough to fight.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

All of the guards got in position. There were even guards stationed inside of the castle just incase, and she would notice Afterglow and Moonlight in their positions with the other guards. Once the guards had all gone to their places a deadly silence filled the air. It was extremely eerie with the red moonlight covering over the entire sky. All of the guards were ready to do their duties, exactly as intended and without any questioning. They were truly ready for anything.

Moonlight and Afterglow stood there with extremely stern, cold expressions. All of the guards had a very monotone and cold look on their faces as if they were mere machines to exact upon Nightmare Moon's will upon her orders. They would wait for Nightmare Moon's word.

When Inkwell had seen Nightmare Moon swoop down she instantly bowed obediantly and would reply, "Right away, your excellency!"  she would state, there was no time for hesitation. Her words were rushed, but at the very least she had located the Empress and got orders from her. Inkwell would go off as fast as possible to find Twilight, and inform her of what was going on. Twilight was utterly confused, Inkwell had gave Twilight what Nightmare instructed.

After Inkwell had gave Twilight the materials she and Twilight had joined Nightmare Moon. They both would bow and stayed a step below. No words were spoken as if they were weary of breaking the silence. Twilight was quite terrified of what was going on, so was Inkwell. They both did their best to hide their feelings. The only noise heard was the slight breeze across their feathers. Twilight had looked up to Nightmare Moon there, lamenting on her features in the blood moonlight. Nightmare Moon looked terrifying, powerful, yet also with a sense of grace and beauty to her form. 

Nightmare Moon was very different from Celestia but the two sisters had the same features so to speak. That being how commanding their presence was, and how beautiful they looked. Nightmare Moon was more intimidating, physically inclined and authoritative. Twilight was just in silent awe, and terror of Nightmare Moon's form. Inkwell sat there, shaking somewhat in silence before Twilight would reassure her with a wing graced on her back slightly, and Inkwell sat up straight.

Whatever Nightmare Moon had seen in Twilight's dream, there was nothing in the waking world. But the question remained, what did Nightmare Moon see in Twilight's dream, and what did it mean?

Silence reigned the air. For minutes, no attacks had come. Nothing would come. 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

For what seemed like nights, the guards stood at attention, their cold gazes filling the air with a colder tension. The red moon above pierced through the sky menacingly, bathing the grounds in a cautionary light. In spite of the atmosphere, however, no threat had appeared. Nightmare initially saw this as a tactic—perhaps the enemy was trying to trick everypony by pretending it wasn’t here. After hours of waiting, it was clear that nothing was going to come. Still, the empress remained paranoid.

“Remain at your positions. Twilight, you may continue your studies so long as there are guards accompanying you. Inkwell, I need you to go over my schedule. I may need to reschedule the first event if the threat is still present.” she instructed.

It was hard to take the fear out of her voice but she just couldn’t help but worry about what she saw in her dream. A small part of her wanted to stop this insanity and move on to other things, but a stronger part of herself told her to keep watchful. After all, it was her sister’s failure to stay on alert that led to her downfall. Nightmare would not make the same cowardly mistake.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

The guards and everyone waited. After hours of waiting, they were all standing at attention as well as they could. Given the long hours of their shifts they were easily able to do this however towards the end of it some of the guards were a bit annoyed their shifts didn't come quite yet due to the possibility of a threat. Nothing came.

Twilight and Inkwell had long since calmed down by Nightmare Moon, and they had not spoke since this whole event began. Twilight was confused and decided to ask Nightmare what was going on. After they acquiesced to her instructions and bowed, Twilight would proceed to ask, "What is going on...empress? What is the threat here? I don't understand. What is it?" she would ask with a little hushed innocence.

Inkwell would speak up. "Whatever the case may be, I'm going to go to the meeting room and go over the Empress's schedule. The Empress can meet with me if she so desires." Inkwell spoke to Twilight. she would hesitate and flare her wings. She flew off back down to the entrance of the castle somewhat shakily. The guards still stood guard and awaited any further instructions, while Inkwell had a hard time landing and steadying her flight as she didn't entirely understand how to fly just yet. She would proceed to the meeting room and overlook the files Nightmare Moon had about her schedule.  

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

After what seemed like ages, no threat had come. Nightmare Moon’s brow furrowed in frustration. At this point, she began to believe she was paranoid. Seeing how her guard staff were waiting for their shifts to end, she sent out a series of low clicks to let them know that they could switch. She then watched as Inkwell shakily flew off the balcony. She would have to ask some of the guards to teach ponies who were not used to wings how to fly properly.

The empress looked to Twilight who had asked what exactly it was everypony was trying to protect. To be quite honest, Nightmare didn’t know for sure. All she knew is that she had sensed a strange presence. She did her best to give Twilight a clear answer.

“I felt a presence in one of your dreams. The more we stand here, the more I wonder if it was merely a part of the dream realm. It is not a fault to be prepared, but to be prepared only for nothing to happen is a waste of everypony’s time. Unless you or one of the other staff members find something, there will be no need for the extended security.

I encourage you to research the presence I saw if you are able. It was a reddish glowing object. It may prophecize an event to come or it may be nothing but a strange light. See if you can find anything of relevance.” she stated before giving Twilight studying instructions. Although the empress wanted to cease watching for the presence, she wanted to ensure that her future was not being compromised.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@ExplosionMare

Twilight would quirk an eyebrow at Nightmare Moon, her head tilting slightly. She was confused and surprised that Nightmare Moon had noncovered something like that inside of her dreams when Twilight didn't remember any of her dreams at all. Such things, she thinks she would have likely remembered.

"In my dreams? Well...I didn't remember anything about my dreams at all. If it is a part of the dream realm, I suppose you should take a look to see if that is the case. I will attempt to find any research on it. If I manage to uncover anything I will let you know, if not then I am not sure what we would do. " she would begin to walk off before stopping slightly. "I hope we can manage, if it is something truly dangerous then we have no idea what it could be." she stated with a concerned look, then after her conversation concluded she would head off to research.

The guards had recognized the clicks and walked off to switch their shifts. They were all relieved. Operations within the castle would continue as normal as the guards would continue about their daily tasks. Nightmare Moon could see the new gates off in the distance, as well as the guard towers. By now they had been completed with the fast, and dedicated work of the guards. She could see a few cement mixers and many unicorns waiting at the area of where the statue would be built.

The cement mixers were massive and were hauled in by four pegasi each due how massive they were. There were a dozen of them and the unicorns charged up a magic field in the general shape of the statue and then poured the mixers all in. It went relatively quickly due to the organization of the workers involved. Once it was finished the unicorns began to cast a spell on the concrete and it hardened. Then chiselling began. 

On the streets that she could see, if she was looking she would see there were 6 excavators ripping up the streets as other mixers were pouring new asphalt its place. On the corners of blocks there was at least one large head bust of Nightmare Moon in the expression / poses she had wanted earlier. A few cranes were lifting rooves onto some newly constructed buildings with various moon shapes to them on spires. A mural of Nightmare Moon herself standing valiantly in the night was on full display, where there once was a mural of Celestia. Depending on if she stuck around, she would have seen the impressive work.

Up the mountain Nightmare could spot what seemed to be a new road. There were tons of workers hauling what seemed to be more mixers, an excavator was digging away at the side of the mountain and there were various spotlights illuminating the work area. This was the new quarry that Smart Planner had put into action, and there was some pretty huge machinery involved at this site to support the massive constructions in Canterlot. 

Meanwhile, Twilight had proceeded to the archives under watch of the guards. She would spend a long time trying to find any research or archives as to what Nightmare Moon spoke of. She found nothing. Given the time that she had been taking, Nightmare may need to check up on her herself. If she did, Twilight would be found reading through a bunch of books and pages, her mane was slightly frazzled. It seemed she couldn't find anything. 

Edited by Starforce Glimmer

@Starforce Glimmer

Nightmare watched Twilight as she headed off to the study. She seemed unsettled about the dream Nightmare ventured into since she had no recollection of it herself. The empress hoped that wouldn’t be a recurring pattern, especially if she continued to have odd dreams.

Before the batpony left, the empress wanted to make sure she knew that if there really was a threat, it could be handled properly. No matter how strong or powerful it was, Nightmare Moon would be able to defeat it, just as she did her sister. In a low voice, she spoke,

“Any threat that comes to this castle or this kingdom will be defeated immediately.”

With that, she left the throne room to check on the construction proceedings. Groups of pegasi were hauling the cement mixers and were pouring them into molds. As soon as the molds hardened, they began chiseling right away. Nightmare inwardly smiled, knowing the slabs of concrete would soon become regal statues. As she continued onwards, she saw excavators ripping up the roads to create new ones. Those old ones were made under Celestia’s rule, so it was good that the workers were smart to make new ones.

She passed by various busts and other artworks of her that were soon to be on display. It was interesting to her how so much art was dedicated to her. Not that she didn’t deserve it, just that it was fascinating to see new artworks come into the castle every day. It reminded her that all the admiration and praise that once belonged to her sister was now hers.

I’ve seen all there is to see here. There is not much else to do today. Perhaps I should see what Twilight has found. It may be hard to rest tonight if I do not know what this threat is. Nightmare thought, heading towards the archives.

Even if the staff didn’t believe her, there was something not right about that reddish-orange glow she saw in the dream realm. It was not a warm and pleasant glow, it was a vicious and infuriated one. She felt this had to mean something, even if it was just a sign for something far off in the future. It was important to be cautious, just as Twilight had been when Nightmare was freed from her moon prison. If anything happened, she had to secure her place on the throne and prove to Equestria that she was a worthy ruler.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

Twilight was in the archive room studying, a while had passed since she had began. Perhaps an hour. She had a note pad she would usually write down her notes on but there was nothing written. A pile of books that were already read were next to her. Rainbow Dash and the other guards sat there silently watching Twilight. While Twilight by this point was trusted, they still kept a watch over her. Rainbow Dash seemed the most bored of her, but even in her boredom she carried a sense of intimidation.

Twilight seemed to be somewhat frustrated, and looked up at Nightmare Moon as she entered. The guards, and Twilight had bowed before her when she entered. "Usually you'd think you'd be able to find something...I am unable to find anything referencing a red glow in the sky. However, the only thing that I think would cause a red glow would be fire, or some sort of magical energy. However, I have no references to prove my theories. It could have also been a strange red aurora, too but that is likely an extremely rare, or improbable phenomena." Twilight stated in a somewhat nervous, yet scientific manner. She was afraid of displeasing Nightmare Moon here.

"Although I do have a question, how does Eternal Night work? That might provide a clue although why it'd appear in a dream and not in reality is the real question. If this were anything explainable by normal means, we would have already been seeing it." Twilight concluded, she definitely thinks it is neither of those things as they were not seen in reality, but within a dream.

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

Although Nightmare Moon was not disappointed, she was bewildered as to why no information had been found yet. It was possible that what she was seeking was too elusive for the textbooks. Perhaps nopony else had seen a glow such as this before. However, that did not mean there were not answers.

“See what you can find on magical energies, then.” she responded to Twilight. “You may have to research a more broad topic rather than relying on the glow itself. It is important to study this anomaly at all angles if it is to be properly identified. Research like you did when you predicted my return.”

She was about to leave Twilight with that, but the batpony was still wanting to see how much information she could pull out of the empress. Nightmare couldn’t blame her since it may be that the true answer to the anomaly’s purpose could be found outside of the typical research. After pondering for a few moments, she came up with something she believed to be useful.

“Eternal Night is merely the act of replacing the sun with the moon. The moon takes over completely, which may have shifted nature’s balance somewhat. This may have stirred up some creatures in the Everfree, but there is unlikely to be any other strange occurrence. Magic in relation to the nigh, however, may have contributed to the glow in the dream realm. There is magic in all areas of the night, as you have seen in things like the color-shifting moon and the particular array of the stars. Studying nocturnal magic will be the next step in your research. It may point us to something worth inquiring.” she spoke.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

Twilight would nod. That answer she had received is largely what she had expected from her. However, she was not sure if that was the entire story and didn't prod further into how the Eternal Night works. At least, not yet. She had a plan to start with magical energies, and then research nocturnal magic.

"Sounds good to me. I'll do my best to research however if I don't come up with anything, then this may possibly be something that is entirely unknown. At the very least, doing a more complete research would offer answers, if we do not find it in these books, then we at least have an answer that is likely unknown or possibly never encountered before. That in itself is also an answer." she would reply calmly and pull out a book as if about to begin looking.

"If this glow is to be anything of an Omen, or a warning then I'd suggest using the machine me and Smart Planner made. Clone it, and convert everyone into bat ponies if you still want to go through with that plan. I'd say it is wise to finish your current plans as soon as possible, to give lesser of a chance of the unknown interfering with your plans. To be entirely honest with you, this whole thing seems like a Warning or an Omen, however I have no way to prove that yet. That's just my opinion, and it can very well be wrong." she'd state and nod slightly. "If I remember correctly, Inkwell had trouble flying. Ponies that aren't used to wings will be needed to taught how to fly. The less of these issues we face, the more prepared we can be for the unknown." she'd further state in a rather analytical manner. 

@Starforce Glimmer

Nightmare nodded in consideration. She was glad Twilight had thought ahead and hadn’t succumbed to the panic like everypony else. The batpony had a point, if they were to continue investigating the “omen”, they needed to be on top of their game in order to do so. She took Twilight’s advice and signaled for the guards to reactivate the batpony machines.

“A need a few guards to locate more civilians to turn into batponies. Twilight’s presence is unnecessary since she will be busy with her research.” the empress began. “Twilight, if you are unable to find anything and come to the conclusion that the anomaly is too unique, notify me immediately.”

She turned to the rest of the staff and thought about what Twilight said about flight lessons. Although the empress didn’t want her staff having full Alicorn capabilities, it probably wouldn’t hurt to teach them how to fly at minimal speeds. If flying could help them to better serve her, then she supposed having somepony teach them would be beneficial. However, there was nopony around at the moment to do so.

“The guards are pressed with other tasks, so gaining the ability to fly will come at a later time for those of you wanting to learn.” Nightmare stated. “My main focus is scheduling the upcoming events, so for now I will see to those.”

She trotted away to tend to the paper work and scheduling. She didn’t summon Inkwell because the work moved far enough along to where she could handle the rest herself. These were her events, after all, so she was in charge of them.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

Twilight nodded in understanding and the guards had went off to activate the machines and carry out their duties of converting the Canterlot ponies into bat ponies. Thanks to the presence of multiple machines work on that would be much faster than what it had been intended before. Throughout the rest of this night they would be working away on converting all of the ponies into bat ponies. To begin the process on other areas of Equestria would take days, or much longer. With Nightmare Moon's permission, a few of the guards would take a couple of the machines to other major areas of Equestria and meet up with other guards in such areas to facilitate the process.

Meanwhile, Twilight had been studying. She would look through all of the books she did not look through here which likely would take a few hours due to how expansive it was. She was able to read through various dark magic books, necromancy, and other types of dangerous magic. The curiosity of such things was growing within her mind however no such anomalies were discovered here. With the guard's watchful eye she had went to the other library for more normal spells.

It would take a long time to go through the more conventional magics. However one such thing was promising. It was about Fire magic, more specifically, Fire auras. It had a lot of red flaming images of the various fire spells, however what Twilight did not know this was not what she had been seeing within the dream. What Nightmare had seen was a more gold-orange glow over the horizon, and not really a normal flame. When Twilight had located this, she was already at a dead end in her research and a few hours had already passed. Rainbow Dash and Twilight had went off to locate Nightmare Moon, and Twilight would present the only lead she had on what it was after they bowed. 

"The only thing I've been able to find was it could be fire magic. Like an Aura, or a glow. A deep orangey red glow but it would need a large concentration of this magic to shine over the horizon and lots of casters in order to do so. This is unlikely to be what you have seen, otherwise if it isn't this, then I have absolutely no idea what it was." Twilight seemed a little frazzled by that. She loved knowing and learning things, however with this there was no such reward. She showed the book to Nightmare Moon as well as the few notes she had. 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

When the guards were ready to utilize the machines, Nightmare Moon would allow them to leave the castle to begin their work. She wanted the batpony process to begin as soon as possible. Not only would improving her citizens’ physical states allow them to adapt to new changes in the sky, it would increase their alertness. Alertness was needed beyond anything else now with all the uncertainty looming in the air.

Within a few hours, Twilight had returned with her findings. She appeared quite disheveled and was disappointed that she had not found much other than something to speculate on. Nightmare Moon took Twilight’s notes in her magic to briefly examen them.

“Fire magic may be the best reason as to what the glow really was. Although it differs in color, it is possible that the glow was just of a weaker variant. I will hold onto these for now and see what I can find for myself. You may turn in for the night.” she spoke.

Nightmare slowly returned to her room, taking the time to read over the notes again in case she missed something. She paid close attention to the sections about auras. The more she thought about it, the more the glow felt like a presence in the dream realm rather than a physical being. That must be why Nightmare Moon felt so uncertain around it. The only way to test that for sure is if it appeared in a dream again. For now, the empress would have to rely on her own observations.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

The guards, when they had arrived in the varying locations they went to had set up the machines and cloned them. Throughout the night, various ponies would be woken up and transformed into bat ponies. Smaller towns went by quickly, including that of Ponyville. Within a few hours at the least, while the larger towns would take more time and more machines in order to do so. The guards also surveyed the construction, and wrote down reports about the construction and remodelling. Ponyville had gotten a few new bridges and buildings installed, as well as various statues and guard towers. Similar things occurred in the big cities, the big cities received most of the attention and excavation of roads and new installations were continuing. 

With Twilight however, she would nod and tiredly yawn. It had been another long day of research and she was ready to turn into sleep. "Goodnight, Nightmare Moon. Maybe you'll find out what it was..." Twilight droned off slightly. Twilight returned to her room under watchful eye. Twilight proceeded to brush her teeth, and take a quick shower, as well as do her business before bed. After all of that was done, she was quite clean. The process of showering off had made her even more tired.

Twilight slipped under the sheets and was thinking about the events of the day. She had no answers to what happened today and was quite frankly at a loss. Maybe Nightmare Moon would find answers. Whatever the case would be Twilight soon would fall asleep. Soon after she fell asleep, the guards had changed their shifts again.

The various constructions within Canterlot were nearing completion at this point. The statues were all completed, and the majority of the roads and sidewalks were completed. Construction on the various buildings and their rooves was entirely completed as well as most other things. It was just a few minor tweaks and clean up to be done and Canterlot would have been entirely remodelled. The workers had written down the various tasks that were now completed. 

The guards had hung lavenders throughout the halls so those sleeping within the castle would proceed to fall asleep rather quickly. Nightmare Moon would be granted with the long hall of doors including the strange black one, among the others of the castle. The question now was, which would she enter first? 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

Nightmare Moon searched for answers while the guards used the batpony machines and took surveys of the construction. She had no clear answers just yet, but she had plenty of theories. Aside from the possibility of fire magic, the glowing entity could be a spirit, a remnant of a potion, an alternate form of a physical being, just to name a few possibilities.

Feeling as if she had done a fair amount of research for the night, she allowed herself to sleep once she could smell the lavender coming from the halls. She took off her armor and placed it near her beside. She laid her head down slowly and waited for her body and mind to succumb to sleep.

When she awoke, she was greeted with the same black door as last time. She knew now that this door had to mean something if it appeared again. Perhaps it could give her the real answers she was looking for. With more confidence this time around, she opened the door and trotted through it with a determined look on her face. This time, she hoped the mare in the door would stick around long enough for the empress to confront her.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

The door opened and Nightmare Moon walked through. What she had seen was likely not something she expected. This time, it was not a Nightmare. It was a fully lucid dream and Nightmare Moon could feel it. Within, Nightmare Moon could see a dark forest with snow capped pine trees, the light shone in weird angles so there were no other shadows admist the trees. There was a really large clearing up ahead. This was Magnolia's place of calm, but also of training. 

Nightmare Moon could spot a writhing mass of shadows flowing throughout the trees much like a cloud of mist. It flowed like a fast flowing stream. It had a unique sense of beauty to it, but also gave off an intimidating aura to its vicious flowing form. The flowing shadowy mass lurched forth into the clearing, rather unaware of Nightmare Moon's presence as of yet. Once it collected into a large ball there was a black flash, and Nightmare Moon could see the mare she had seen within the other dream standing there with a sense of supreme pride.

She smiled evily, such a grin was rather unfounded across the face of such a beautiful mare. She stood there with such pride, and firm belief in her strength. With a motion of a hoof, there were several large large tree stumps and assorted targets. Then her form would seem to burst into a mass of shadows and fog, and would rotate and then go into a wild spin like a tornado. As the black fog would slow down, it would assume the form of a huge wolf. Except this wolf was much larger than a normal wolf, and had a rather undefined form towards its legs and tail. It seemed to pulsate as if it was made of a black goo, or ooze. 

Then, the hulking form of the wolf would reveal its sharp claws and began dicing away at the targets and tree stumps. It let out loud intimidating roars. Magnolia was the wolf, and she was testing her ability here.  

@Starforce Glimmer

Unlike the last time she entered this door, Nightmare felt a sense of mobility. It would be a lot easier to make changes to the dream this time around. For now, she allowed herself to absorb the atmosphere she trotted through. It was a dark forest with light coming from odd angles. If it weren’t for how off the forest felt, the empress would have found the quiet atmosphere comforting.

The thick, darkly colored fog up ahead gave off a mystical yet frightening presence. Nightmare Moon wasn’t sure if it was best to approach it or stay back from it. She wondered as she continued to look at the flowing, ugly mass if it had anything to do with the fiery glow from the previous evening. If it was indeed another sign, Nightmare was ready to combat it. Silently, she hunched into a fighting stance.

She briefly stood up when she saw Magnolia begin to do something near the fog. She stood there for a while at first with a malicious grin, a grin wider than Nightmare’s on the day she banished her sister to the sun. After what seemed like an eternity of standing, Magnolia formed a series of targets made out of tree stumps and other various forest life. Once those were set up, the black fog that lay on the ground earlier consumed the mare in a violent tornado. Nightmare wondered for a moment if the tornado was going to fling the mare across the sky. When the spinning ceased, Magnolia was no longer a unicorn; she was giant wolf. Aside from her abnormal size, her backside also stood out since it seemed to be a combination of solid and liquid, almost as if it was boiled in lava.

Ferociously, the wolf let out a series of cries as it slashed at the targets, knocking them down effortlessly. The wolf seemed to take much pride in what it was doing. The action reminded the empress of her earlier years as Nightmare Moon, fed by rage and adrenaline. Before the wolf had the chance to tear up this entire section of the forest, Nightmare shifted the dream realm so that the forest could spread wider, pushing the rest of the targets away. She slowed the wolf’s movements so they could do no more than lightly brush whatever her paws hit.

“I must speak with you. You know a great deal about something I am after. Explain to me this magic you possess and what you intend to do with it.” the empress commanded in a calm tone.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

The wolf's attention immediately turned towards Nightmare Moon. It seemed to take a long few moments looking at her and judged her presence. It was not apart of the dream, so thus it was the real Nightmare Moon. The wolf stood there quietly, and then stepped forward. As it stepped forward it shrunk and dissipated away, revealing the mare that Nightmare had seen before. However unlike all the others, this one did not bow.

Magnolia's eyes bore a look of calmness, yet also authority. It was a sort of expression that sort of mimicked Nightmare's own. Magnolia smirked serenely, and smirked. "The magic I possess is only for me to know, although considering your nature it is surprising that you yourself do not know." Magnolia said with a knowing, yet also cold way. It was really serene, the way she spoke as well. "I have no plans. No goals, no intentions upon anything as of this moment. Although, I must ask what yours are. Why are you within my dreams, what is it you want of me?" she asked, her eyes looking up into Nightmare Moon's eyes with absolutely no fear whatsoever.

"You would not be here unless I had something that you don't. You also say you are after something, too. I wonder what that is. We are all after something in life, but I can tell your goal is much more strong and specific than most are." she said, her eyes still looking Nightmare Moon's dead in the own. The look in this mare's eyes was one unlike any other pony. It was one that contained a sense of brutality, yet also beauty in the same. In a way, Nightmare Moon may possibly find herself feeling intimidated. 

@Starforce Glimmer

The wolf stood quietly for a moment, studying Nightmare Moon. Its form slowly changed back into the mare it originally was. The mare stepped forward but did not bow, to which Nightmare took great offense. She took a moment to remind the mare of her place.

“Despite how much magic you possess, whether it be real or imaginary, you are not above your ruler. You would do well to bow to your empress.” she said threateningly. However, it seemed the mare was in undeterred by her words. She remained calm and confident.

The mare began by asking what the empress wanted of her, saying she had no goals of her own. That must be a lie, coming from a mare who practices dark magic. Unless the magic is a metaphor, Nightmare couldn’t see how a pony which this type of skill would not want to achieve something more. Stepping forward, she explained what she wanted.

“Your door appears in the dream realm near the ones of the ponies I know. However, I do not know you. Your door must be a sign, there is no other logical explanation. Seeing the magic you possess, I believe you can prove yourself useful to me. The castle is always in need of protection from any and all threats. Your magic would serve well to protect the throne.” she explained. When she mentioned Magnolia’s magic, her words were more of a demand than a request. Her plan, although she did not say this aloud, was to find this mare and use her similarly to how she uses Twilight; as a means of safeguarding all that she has built.

Magnolia sensed that Nightmare’s goals reached beyond one simple task. She nodded at this, glad that somepony was able to grasp that concept. As a leader and a ruler, it was her responsibility to continue to expand her kingdom and to continually improve it.

“My goal is to constantly improve my kingdom and keep it protected. Equestria functions better once ponies learn to appreciate my night. You are under a night sky right now. Although it is simulated, do you not feel safer here than you would in the sunlight?” she answered calmly. She hoped to gain the mare’s trust, for she did not know her personality enough to predict it like Twilight’s. This mare could be calm one minute and raging the next. For now, it was important to keep her in check.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

Magnolia stood there and seemed to ponder her results. She clearly didn't like how she was was basically told to bow before Nightmare Moon. In Magnolia's mind, she bows before no one no matter who they are, or how powerful they may be. Magnolia brushed off what Nightmare Moon said about bowing before her. She wanted to see what would happen with Nightmare Moon. 

"Door in the dream realm? I don't know anything about that. I've never seen anything like that." she began, being a pony whose dreams were always on the other side of the door she had never walked in the dream realm, nor had she seen it before. This was likely no surprise to Nightmare Moon. Magnolia seemed to be confused as to why she would mention that, but seemed interested in what she spoke about the throne being protected from threats. "I find it interesting how you seek me out, yet you don't even know me. If it was in my interest, I could easily infiltrate the throne without you or anyone knowing. Food for thought." she said with a sly, mischievous grin. Magnolia obviously was in possession of something that she wasn't eager to let up on.

Magnolia would go silent for a few moments at the mention of sunlight. Magnolia always preferred the moonlight, to the sunlight. Perhaps that was because of her original name, or maybe it was just her preference. She smirked somewhat to Nightmare Moon. "I feel safe anywhere as I am always prepared and ready to strike should a threat pose issue to me. I have done well under the night although I can't help but notice you've been lighting the moon up like it's some Christmas ornament. I quite like the touch, it's interesting to watch how it changes colors throughout the passage of the hours..." Magnolia smirked at that. She found the moon changing colors was entertaining, and nice to look at. 

Magnolia then cackled somewhat as a thought crossed her mind. "For your knowledge, I am days, perhaps weeks away from Canterlot itself. Even if I wanted to go there, it would take up a lot of my time to get." she seemed to be playing hard to get. Its as if she was enjoying this, of course she could also by lying aswell. 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

Nightmare looked at Magnolia quizzically.

“Of course you would not know. I am the only pony who can enter and exit the dream realm.” she responded, wondering why Magnolia didn’t realize that herself.

She soon tensed up with Magnolia decided to pose a threat. Although Nightmare knew she couldn’t do anything serious right now, that didn’t mean she wouldn’t keep her guard up. If this mare had the audacity to challenge her, much less think she was above royalty, then Nightmare would be more than willing to prove her wrong.

“I would watch that foul tongue of yours, mare!” she spat. “You hardly understand who you are up against! You may have power of your own, but do you have the intelligence to pair with it? I highly doubt it, seeing as how you so foolishly speak and not think.”

Nightmare waited for another coy remark, but none came. The mare went silent for a moment. She wondered briefly if this was some sort of tactic, but the mare had only decided to calm down. Good, the empress thought, she would be unwise to continue challenging me.

“You enjoy the changing of the moon as well?” Nightmare Moon asked curiously. She was slightly skeptical of the notion due to how Magnolia delivered her sentence; she may seem interested in the new sky, but she could also just be sarcastic. It was hard to tell with this one.

She then gave a smirk of her own when Magnolia mentioned her relative location. Nightmare decided to play along not only for her own entertainment, but to make progress with this mare. She had to reach some sort of understanding with her.

“My guards would be thrilled to spend the week looking for you, it would allow them some travel. I could also of course find you myself, although I’m sure you much appreciate the chase. No matter, I am like a hunter! I stalk my prey and catch them not soon after!” she beamed slyly, baring her fangs in an over-the-top grin.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@ExplosionMare

Magnolia stood there with a rather wicked, almost animalistic grin. It was a pure predatory grin as well that surpassed that of Nightmare Moon's. It was an almost insane or maniacal grin too, it was not one that any normal mare would be having across their face. Magnolia seemed like a Canterlot high class pony on the outside, but there was something about that grin of hers that was almost frightening. She looked into Nightmare Moon's eyes as if she was predator herself. Like before, she could see that cold sense of brutality in her eyes.

"I entirely understand who I am up against as I have studied you for a long while. Capable of dream walking, teleportation, incantations, some dark magic, lunar manipulation, turning into a cloud of luminous mist like that of your mane, the list goes on..." Magnolia spoke with a large knowing smirk on her face. She was correct in what Nightmare Moon was capable of however, it is entirely possible she would know more. "The moon is quite...intriguing with how you've got that set up like that." she stated with a slow blink of her eyes, her eyes looking directly into Nightmare Moon's eyes. 

She grinned wider at the suggestion of her being found. "Oh, you are very welcome to try to find me. It would be no easy task for you or your guards. Not that I doubt the valor and ability of your guards, or yourself, but I'd consider next to impossible." she'd pull out a mirror from somewhere, and grin widely as if the mirror meant something. 

Edited by Starforce Glimmer
  • Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

Nightmare Moon was highly uncomfortable with the way Magnolia was staring at her. She looked not malicious and evil, but extremely prideful about it. She appeared very high-and-mighty, a quality Nightmare vowed to never replicate. Sure, she did make it clear that she was above others, but she only did that as a basic reminder, not to flaunt herself around.

When Magnolia listed off all of Nightmare’s skills, she was stunned at first. She then grew curious, wondering exactly how much of this information was public knowledge. However, she refrained from questions in order to get to the bottom of the matter more quickly.

“You seem to take quite an interest in my magic. I assume you have studied me in some way, seeing as how your magic has similarities to my own. This may be why your door appears so closely to those I know. We may have a connection we are not fully aware of just yet.” the empress speculated.

Nightmare let out a prideful humph when Magnolia said she doubted the guards would be able to find her. If Magnolia truly felt she was above the powers of elite guard training and intellectual leadership, then she had quite a surprise in store for her.

“My guards have captured a stowaway or two before, they can certainly handle the likes of you.” she said, showing a sly grin and buffing out her chest.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare

Magnolia stood there with a long silence. Magnolia had done that on purpose, as if to show that she was above Nightmare Moon. In the silence, Magnolia seemed to be thinking about her next words or movements. She seemed to be thinking constantly, calculating and judging Nightmare Moon, as well as what Magnolia's next move would be. Magnolia grinned wider, somehow that was possible in this dream. Magnolia's grin was highly un-nerving, it was really strange. Perhaps scary, even.

Then Magnolia would laugh a low, dark cackle. In a way it would almost remind Nightmare Moon of her own laugh. Could it be she had more in common with this strange mare? She would speak after taking a step forward, a bit too close for comfort. "I have studied you for a long, long time. I find it interesting about you, how you are capable of such things except the fact you don't know what this is here. What happens when you have a mirror in a dream?" Magnolia flaunted her dream. "Perhaps its just my method but it amazes me you have not recognized what it is capable of." she said in a rather high strung, perhaps arrogant manner but not overly so. In a way, Magnolia was revealing she had knowledge that Nightmare Moon didn't have.

"I'll challenge you to come find me. I will give you absolutely no hints as to my whereabouts besides what I have already thus stated. If you've only done one or two, then that shows that your methods are not all they are cracked up to be. After being sealed within the moon for a thousand years, you best be sure to study up and practice your methods. You seem to pride yourself in how you are the ruler of Equestria. Pride will be your downfall, should you not commit to backing your pride up with ability." Magnolia said proudly before adding, "Like me." then, her wild grin returned.

"For the record I have always been one of the night. It allows me to keep my secrets, and move throughout the dark without a soul in the world noticing. The moon has always guided my path. My real name is Moonlight but for various reasons I have changed my name for all intents and purposes." she said in a serious tone and looked off to the right. It's obvious there was some pain and torment in her look there. Something Magnolia had gone through.