Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Fluttershy?

GeffreyDrogon

I am asking what other people think of Fluttershy as a character. For me, she is my favorite pony, and possibly my favorite fictional female character. When I watched Season 1 of MLP: FIM, I always found her episodes the best of the Mane Six. I can relate to her because she may seem to be shy, but deep down, she is capable of so much more. A Bird in the Hoof is my favorite episode of that show, especially because I can relate to Fluttershy's frustration and eventual despair upon seeing Philomena "die". 

S01E22: A Bird In The Hoof - The Round Stable

That episode gives me so many good memories, especially because I've had many incidents in life where I think something bad is going to happen because I made a serious mistake, only to notice that there aren't any actual consequences. I live in a household where my father yells at me for making even little mistakes, and the benevolence Celestia shows to Fluttershy is something that reminds me of teachers I had before, especially Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Parramore. That episode is one reason I love Fluttershy. 

What do you think of Fluttershy?

• Brohoof 3

She is my least favorite character of the main cast just above Rainbow Dash. I don’t find her shyness and quietness to be charming, it got old very fast for me. It became vexing soon after she was introduced. The voice she was given is much too whiney and her eyes have this...droopy look to them with her slanted eye shape. It makes her look tired and depressed whenever her eyes are naturally placed.

680726F7-3634-4518-82F7-5ED3A8CAFE68.jpeg

• Brohoof 2

She's the heart of the Mane Six. :kindness: With all her lovely animals by her side, her compassion, her gorgeous voice and her ability to come out of her shell when she needs to, she is absolutely amazing and I love her to bits! :yay:

13e3edca1ae95d993af56dbfe5d1ab3a.gif

• Brohoof 4

She is the cutest pony and the one I relate to most, so she’s the best!

I also like “Putting Your Hoof Down”, I thought it was an interesting take on Fluttershy’s character (even though bullying her friends was probably going too far)

• Brohoof 5

2 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

She is the cutest pony and the one I relate to most, so she’s the best!

I also like “Putting Your Hoof Down”, I thought it was an interesting take on Fluttershy’s character (even though bullying her friends was probably going too far)

I should watch that episode. I feel like Fluttershy is a really nice, shy pony but if you piss her off things get bad. 

(edited)

Fluttershy is my favourite pony as well. I can relate to her character so much because I was also very shy in my childhood and youth and I know how hard it is to get out of this in reality. I've seen many people critizing fluttershy for learning the same thing over and over again. I actual give the show much credit for this. It's not so easy to change ones behaviour permanently. It's actual pretty hard to do it. It would have been really easy to give Fluttershy one or two moments and then transform her into an normal non shy character.

Yeah, Fluttershy is capable of so much more. I think the show demonstrates this on more than one moments. I think of fluttershy as a kindhearted and strong character who is shy and unassertive in the beginning but will grow if it's necessary. And I also find her very cute too .

The very first mlp episode I ever watched was "Filli Vanilli" (Pony Tones). This episode and the character of Fluttershy was actual the reason why I started to watch the show. From my past I can relate a lot to the circumstance for wanting something and not been able to do it.

The episode "A Bird in the hoof" is definitely also one of my favourite episodes for the same reason. But I must also admit I was really early guessing that Philomena is a phoenix and therefore was not surprised by the end of this episode.

The other episode mentioned here "Putting Your Hoof Down" is getting to far at the end, I agree. But still it's very interesting because this can be a fear of someone who is struggling with shyness.

All in all I really adore Fluttershy for the reasons other people don't like her. Though I cannot say she's my favourite fictional female character in general but in mlp she definitely is.

Edited by Astral Soul
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

While Fluttershy may not have had that much in the way of an external, career arc like Rarity and Rainbow, Fluttershy probably saw the most and best internal character development of anypony on the show.  She probably changed the most.  Comparing S1 Fluttershy to S9 Fluttershy is night and day (and yet she always remained the sweet and quiet pony we loved).  In S1, she was terrified to introduce herself to another pony.  In S9, she made dragons shake in their scales.  Seriously, as a good compare and contrast, watch Dragonshy and Sweet & Smoky back to back.  Fluttershy commands respect and kicks ass in the friggin' dragonlands.  It was awesome.  She had such great development.

On 2021-03-09 at 9:14 AM, ExplosionMare said:

She is the cutest pony

I'm gonna have to challenge you on that one.  Fluttershy is the sweetest pony.  Twilight is the cutest.  There's a big difference, just like how Rainbow pointed out that coolness, awesomeness, and radicalness are all different.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-03-08 at 9:11 PM, The Wife of Hawks said:

She is my least favorite character of the main cast just above Rainbow Dash. I don’t find her shyness and quietness to be charming, it got old very fast for me. It became vexing soon after she was introduced. The voice she was given is much too whiney and her eyes have this...droopy look to them with her slanted eye shape. It makes her look tired and depressed whenever her eyes are naturally placed.

680726F7-3634-4518-82F7-5ED3A8CAFE68.jpeg

I understand why you may think Fluttershy has odd-looking eyes. I also understand why you think Fluttershy can be quite vexing to some. Those whimpers and squeaks she makes are more YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I personally like Fluttershy's eyes due to their color and those moth antennae-like eyelashes. 

• 5 months later...