Jump to content

Recommended Posts

(edited)
On 2021-04-13 at 10:18 PM, heavens-champion said:

The possibility that the story director will ditch Grogar (or some other big G1 villain) in favor of villains that were rendered effectively harmless upon their defeat. (Seriously, was Grogar not good enough for them?).

And/or that they'll have someone write some expanded-universe books to develop G5's most-underrated villain… then just ignore them in favor of using the villain as little more than fodder for another.

Edited by Orcus on His Throne
Link to post
Share on other sites


Register now to remove this ad.
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is inevitable, it's no doubt another show about teaching children valuable social lessons, like Friendship is Magic. And not only that, I'd say it's a good thing it's inevitable. Children are the

I'd like to add to this, im not sure g5 is going to be as good. The thing is, the story may be great, the characters & art may be great. But I think the thing about g4 that made it special that g5

I could probably sit here and say the same common complaints that everyone usually has about G5 so far, you know the ones like Covering Modern Problems, Forced Diversity, Politics, Gender Roles, the "

TATTOOS... Oops, did I say that loud?

 

So, in a pony society with modern technology like smartphones, probably full of accessories, and no magic. Well, history (old pictures, cave paintings) they do have, so of course they know every single pony since forever ago had a cutie mark. I am worried this is oversight, but G5 has opened the doors for ponies to have tattoos. There is no magic to erase/limit such a thing.

I remember from the early Brony days about people being upset of the episode "Call of the Cutie", for telling young girls to get tattoos.

 

 

Here is some of my own questions and answers to try to make sense of things:

 

-They won't have tattoos because Equestria's magic prevents it?

Magic is no more.


-Having a mark/symbol on your body is considered against the law/not allowed?

MLP is defined as a plastic pony with a symbol on it. If G5 is the first to remove that, I would be surprised. It is like removing Coca from the Coca-Cola brand.

 

-Tattoos haven't been invented in Equestria?

But Smartphones have?

 

-They aren't called tattoos to not upset anyone?

That is a possibility. But then, let's change the word smartphone as well.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

-They won't have tattoos because Equestria's magic prevents it?

Magic is no more.

There is nothing to indicate that; the ponies have turned away from the magic of friendship, and have thus lost their cutie marks. Equally though, I have to wonder if ponies had cutie marks before the founding of equestria.

 

3 hours ago, Splashee said:


-Having a mark/symbol on your body is considered against the law/not allowed?

MLP is defined as a plastic pony with a symbol on it. If G5 is the first to remove that, I would be surprised. It is like removing Coca from the Coca-Cola brand.

We know, from merch, that at least the mane group of three will have cutie marks by the end of the movie.

 

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

-Tattoos haven't been invented in Equestria?

But Smartphones have?

Tattoos would be difficult to achieve when you are seeing a pony coat, not skin.

 

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

-They aren't called tattoos to not upset anyone?

That is a possibility. But then, let's change the word smartphone as well.

we know from the start of S5 that ponies can paint on a cutie mark convincingly.

  • Pondering 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Splashee said:

TATTOOS... Oops, did I say that loud?

I remember from the early Brony days about people being upset of the episode "Call of the Cutie", for telling young girls to get tattoos. 

 

-They won't have tattoos because Equestria's magic prevents it?

Magic is no more.


-Having a mark/symbol on your body is considered against the law/not allowed?

MLP is defined as a plastic pony with a symbol on it. If G5 is the first to remove that, I would be surprised. It is like removing Coca from the Coca-Cola brand.

Hasbro would never encourage the show's viewers to get tattoos, or else it would be a PR nightmare. What these people imagined from watching that episode did not transpire. Bronies have been jumping to insane conclusions about the writer's intent over very likely unintended implications in episodes since forever. It's also already been spoiled, the fact that the magic is coming back in the film, since the Mane 5 are confirmed to have cutie marks. 

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on tattoos, but I'm very confident that they won't be something to worry about in G5

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2021-04-19 at 11:43 PM, CypherHoof said:

Tattoos would be difficult to achieve when you are seeing a pony coat, not skin

I thought real life horse had "tattoos" where bits of their coat is shaved off I seen them b4 like tree shaped "tattoos" n that XD not permanent tho I guess

But yea cutiemarks exist so 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I'm a bit worried about what kind of technology the ponies will have. We've seen Pipp use a "cell phone" in a short clip, but one of the reasons I stuck with G4 for so long, besides nostalgia, was because it was unlike other kids' shows where they were set in a modern setting. G4, especially the early seasons, had a sort of fantasy/simple (?) feeling to it that I feel adding technology to G5 will take that away. Another concern is how they will justify the tribes separating again. Even if G5 is set thousands of years in the future, alicorns can live for more than a thousand, and since Twilight and Flurry Heart are relatively young alicorns, what happened to them? Wouldn't they try to keep the tribes together unless there was some sort of situation that made them incapable of doing so? Also, one more concern -- are they just going to reintroduce each other Equestrian species (dragons, griffins, hippogriffs, etc) all over again for the new viewers?

  • Brohoof 3
  • teacup 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2021-04-21 at 5:56 AM, flurry said:

I thought real life horse had "tattoos" where bits of their coat is shaved off I seen them b4 like tree shaped "tattoos" n that XD not permanent tho I guess

But yea cutiemarks exist so

I assume its a colour change in the hairs of the coat - so the temp equivalent (and more kid safe!) would be those chalk rollers that kids can use to put colour streaks into their hair.

But we saw GlimGlam paint on a fake cutie mark (that washes off) in The Village, so clearly that is an option.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never understand the "I don't want the show to tackle any controversial or heavy topics" attitude. I know the word "political" is something of a swear word on this forum it seems but I'd at least like to point out that arguably the greatest cartoon ever written (and especially its sequel) tackled some, at the time, pretty heavy and controversial subject matter. I'm absolutely not saying G5 should try to be the next Avatar and I'm certainly not expecting it to be, but if i were to hold it to the same standard as G4 I'd expect some heavier and touchier topics to be dealt with. If it's not too grown-up for sesame street it's not too grown-up for MLP, and sesame street has dealt with LGBTQ+ people, race, abuse, autism and other disabilities.

That being said I don't think I can hold G5 to the same standard as G4. G4 was honestly something special and I can't imagine I'd enjoy something labeled as MLP if it doesn't have that same attitude and charm G4 had, I certainly couldn't get in to anything 3d animated.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Its because a lot of shows who tackle heavy controversial stuff ...tackles it... and them ending up falling instead.

  • Brohoof 2
  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Another thing i'm concerned about is, right now Hitch is my favorite G5 pony and i'm afraid he'll turn out to be a conceited jerk.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My only concern for G5, besides the modern technology and the political issues, is that the characters and the stories are not gonna be as impactful or interesting as G4 was, which I hope to be proven wrong.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2021-03-09 at 9:55 PM, Pentium100 said:

2. The show making the ending of G4 even more sad than it was by making the reason for the problems in G5 be Twilighht's incompetence or having her turn evil (I don't like when bad things happen to my favorite character).

This is my biggest concern also. I like that generation 5 is going to be set in the same world as generation 4, but I'd hate for them to come up with something that pretty much ruins the ending of The Last Problem, which was something I really liked.

  • Brohoof 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Another thing i'm concerned about is, right now Hitch is my favorite G5 pony and i'm afraid he'll turn out to be a conceited jerk.

As much as I really don't want him to be like Rainbow Dash, whose spot is kind of already filled by Zipp, I'm more worried that they're going to try and make him Spike. Not implying that Spike's bad, just that I really do not want him to be the "butt monkey". :maud:

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have come across this info late, but I may as well share my "concerns", if you could even call them that.  The short answer is, I don't have any concerns, because the worst case is, I don't like G5.  I've already mostly moved on anyways, so if G5 doesn't get me invested, then it doesn't get me invested.  

The long answer is, I'm not going to lie, but I'm sensing that this is #notmyMLP, and I'll go into more detail as to why.  Note that, I'm ok with it not being for me.  I'll always be able to revisit FiM, and I do on occasion, especially with the comics still going for the time being.  As I've said, I've moved on though, and MLP just isn't such a big part of my life anymore.  So, if I don't like the direction of this new series, I'm not going to be upset or outraged over it.  I'll simply respond by being over it, as in, if this movie doesn't work for me, I'm not likely to check out the show that follows.  

The CG looks fine, but I don't know if it's going to be for me.  Classic animation is part of what drew me to FiM, afterall, and I'm just not sure if I'm going to like the look of this new show enough to want to look at it for an extended length of time.  I'm iffy about the plan to add a Stallion to the mane cast.  Not only does that seem like forced representation, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.  Also, I really hope he's not going to be the butt of jokes, either due to being constantly friendzoned by his filly friends, or by being shown up by much more capable mares.  In short, he'd better be written well, and feel like he fits in with the rest of the cast.  I suppose that goes for the writing for this thing as a whole.  I've heard some things about the plan for the story, and no, I don't have an issue with it getting political.  If anything, the current generation needs more positive messages about overcoming prejudice.  I'm just concerned that, like with a lot of fiction with a political edge, the message might overshadow the writing in such a way that the writer forgets to make it...good.  I think my concern over whether this will be any good is the long and short of it, really.  

I'm not going to lie, Hasbro has a some big shoes to fill if they're going to try and make lightning strike a second time.  FiM worked because it wasn't trying too hard to win over anyone other than the target audience, yet actual care and attention went into it.  A lot of what I'm seeing reeks of either trying too hard to appeal to the extended fandom, or trying to cash in on the current political climate, neither of which was a problem with FiMFiM was an unexpected success, and it will be really difficult for anything like that to be achieved again, even if the writing is solid, with characters and worldbuilding that end up being more endearing than I'm anticipating.

For what it's worth, I'm willing to give this movie a chance.  I'd just rather keep my expectations low, because there's a chance I'll be pleasantly surprised, whereas I can't possibly be disappointed if I don't expect a lot to begin with.  

  • Brohoof 2
  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
12 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

I may have come across this info late, but I may as well share my "concerns", if you could even call them that.  The short answer is, I don't have any concerns, because the worst case is, I don't like G5.  I've already mostly moved on anyways, so if G5 doesn't get me invested, then it doesn't get me invested.  

The long answer is, I'm not going to lie, but I'm sensing that this is #notmyMLP, and I'll go into more detail as to why.  Note that, I'm ok with it not being for me.  I'll always be able to revisit FiM, and I do on occasion, especially with the comics still going for the time being.  As I've said, I've moved on though, and MLP just isn't such a big part of my life anymore.  So, if I don't like the direction of this new series, I'm not going to be upset or outraged over it.  I'll simply respond by being over it, as in, if this movie doesn't work for me, I'm not likely to check out the show that follows.  

The CG looks fine, but I don't know if it's going to be for me.  Classic animation is part of what drew me to FiM, afterall, and I'm just not sure if I'm going to like the look of this new show enough to want to look at it for an extended length of time.  I'm iffy about the plan to add a Stallion to the mane cast.  Not only does that seem like forced representation, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.  Also, I really hope he's not going to be the butt of jokes, either due to being constantly friendzoned by his filly friends, or by being shown up by much more capable mares.  In short, he'd better be written well, and feel like he fits in with the rest of the cast.  I suppose that goes for the writing for this thing as a whole.  I've heard some things about the plan for the story, and no, I don't have an issue with it getting political.  If anything, the current generation needs more positive messages about overcoming prejudice.  I'm just concerned that, like with a lot of fiction with a political edge, the message might overshadow the writing in such a way that the writer forgets to make it...good.  I think my concern over whether this will be any good is the long and short of it, really.  

I'm not going to lie, Hasbro has a some big shoes to fill if they're going to try and make lightning strike a second time.  FiM worked because it wasn't trying too hard to win over anyone other than the target audience, yet actual care and attention went into it.  A lot of what I'm seeing reeks of either trying too hard to appeal to the extended fandom, or trying to cash in on the current political climate, neither of which was a problem with FiMFiM was an unexpected success, and it will be really difficult for anything like that to be achieved again, even if the writing is solid, with characters and worldbuilding that end up being more endearing than I'm anticipating.

For what it's worth, I'm willing to give this movie a chance.  I'd just rather keep my expectations low, because there's a chance I'll be pleasantly surprised, whereas I can't possibly be disappointed if I don't expect a lot to begin with.  

I rather they tried to put effort into it though and develop it in that way than they did some completely random thing or went back to g3 style or brought a random writer in whatever. Catering in part to the extended fandom seems positive to me since they are acknowledging that they are there (and for them to make a buck lol). It won't be the same but then what could they have done otherwise. Maybe stuck with 2d idk lol

I wouldn't have minded a modern g1 reboot or inspired story tho lool 

As for the politics stuff well will only see when it's out oof

I don't see the stallion as forced representation imo I mean before we had spike ya sure he was an infantile character (and angry birds stella did the same thing with having a boy character) but he was a boy. And I think it adds something so long as it is done properly, we still have mostly female cast. In previous mlp it always felt like male characters were pushed to the back and I think even lauren faust wouldnt have minded more male background ponies at least that were cool even for a girl show but ay. 

 

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1
  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

My mane concern about the new gen was that it won't capture the cute magic of G4. That concern was significantly allayed by the trailers :3 Now my main concern is that there is all this time in the way of more pony and I want to see the cute furry ponies :okiedokieloki:

Mindful to steer this thread away from lockedness, the inclusionary theme of G5 is absolutely a continuation of G4.

Spoiler

G4 had all sorts of fans, many of whom repudiated tolerance and embraced Trump and all that BS. They have a home in pony because anyone can enjoy ponies, it doesn't matter what horrible ideas you have :P Leave that stuff at the door to the stable.

 

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, flurry said:

I rather they tried to put effort into it though and develop it in that way than they did some completely random thing or went back to g3 style or brought a random writer in whatever. Catering in part to the extended fandom seems positive to me since they are acknowledging that they are there (and for them to make a buck lol). It won't be the same but then what could they have done otherwise. Maybe stuck with 2d idk lol

I wouldn't have minded a modern g1 reboot or inspired story tho lool 

As for the politics stuff well will only see when it's out oof

I don't see the stallion as forced representation imo I mean before we had spike ya sure he was an infantile character (and angry birds stella did the same thing with having a boy character) but he was a boy. And I think it adds something so long as it is done properly, we still have mostly female cast. In previous mlp it always felt like male characters were pushed to the back and I think even lauren faust wouldnt have minded more male background ponies at least that were cool even for a girl show but ay. 

 

I suppose now that Bronies are a thing going into this generation, it's kind of hard to ignore us.  There would be pros and cons regardless of whether they chose to cater to us or sideline us.  So, you're probably right there.  

I do support there being more male representation in this new show, and I'm glad over time the extended cast included more and more male characters, so don't get me wrong there.  I'm more concerned about the dynamic of there being a stallion in the mane five than I am about there being a major male character.  Also, there are aspects of Spike's character that I think really helped make him work.  By his design, he's sort of one of the fillies, but also sort of not.  Being the little brother of the group also means that it's possible for him to have feelings for Rarity, and have her reject him, and for that dynamic to make sense. 

With Hitch Trailblazer, or whatever his name is, I just have some concerns as there are multiple ways in which I can see that his character or his relation to the others can be screwed up.  For one, if there's any kind of romance or hint of romance between characters, there are multiple ways in which it would at the very least be overly cliched (and I kind of like that FiM avoids most romance), and at worst, pretty cringe.  On the other hoof, these characters have to at least be in their teens, so I'll have a difficult time buying that Hitch has zero interest in any of his groupmates or vice versa.  TBH, I think adding at least one more stallion would at least mitigate the problem.  I have no difficulty buying the student six as a mix-gendered group of friends.  Of course, even they couldn't avoid shipping indefinitely.

But, I suppose a mane male cast member is an experiment that was going to happen at some point, one way or another.  Maybe I'm completely wrong, and I'll like the dynamic of the characters just fine.  I'll check this movie out when it comes out.  As I said, if I don't like it, then I suppose that's that.  Not everything needs to be for me, and I'm ok with that.  

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

I suppose now that Bronies are a thing going into this generation, it's kind of hard to ignore us.  There would be pros and cons regardless of whether they chose to cater to us or sideline us.  So, you're probably right there.  

I do support there being more male representation in this new show, and I'm glad over time the extended cast included more and more male characters, so don't get me wrong there.  I'm more concerned about the dynamic of there being a stallion in the mane five than I am about there being a major male character.  Also, there are aspects of Spike's character that I think really helped make him work.  By his design, he's sort of one of the fillies, but also sort of not.  Being the little brother of the group also means that it's possible for him to have feelings for Rarity, and have her reject him, and for that dynamic to make sense. 

With Hitch Trailblazer, or whatever his name is, I just have some concerns as there are multiple ways in which I can see that his character or his relation to the others can be screwed up.  For one, if there's any kind of romance or hint of romance between characters, there are multiple ways in which it would at the very least be overly cliched (and I kind of like that FiM avoids most romance), and at worst, pretty cringe.  On the other hoof, these characters have to at least be in their teens, so I'll have a difficult time buying that Hitch has zero interest in any of his groupmates or vice versa.  TBH, I think adding at least one more stallion would at least mitigate the problem.  I have no difficulty buying the student six as a mix-gendered group of friends.  Of course, even they couldn't avoid shipping indefinitely.

But, I suppose a mane male cast member is an experiment that was going to happen at some point, one way or another.  Maybe I'm completely wrong, and I'll like the dynamic of the characters just fine.  I'll check this movie out when it comes out.  As I said, if I don't like it, then I suppose that's that.  Not everything needs to be for me, and I'm ok with that.  

Yeah I get what you mean I don't really want too much romance either at least nothing obvious especially between the "mane 5", but yeah judging from him I do think he would at least want to flirt or something with someone lol but yea. I hope the focus is not on that kind of thing. But I think so far he seems more like a playful character and that.

In a way two stallions could work but then again I feel like it is still a female led show and that would feel that is too many to me idk I guess tho they still had space for one more pony lol and with the school of friendship characters they did have more male characters but that somehow felt different. Maybe if the other male character wasn't a stallion but of another species. 

Maybe they will have prominent secondary stallion character too to balance it. I guess though not enough there to judge yet xP

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 2021-04-26 at 3:31 AM, AlbaTross said:

For one, if there's any kind of romance or hint of romance between characters, there are multiple ways in which it would at the very least be overly cliched (and I kind of like that FiM avoids most romance), and at worst, pretty cringe.  On the other hoof, these characters have to at least be in their teens, so I'll have a difficult time buying that Hitch has zero interest in any of his groupmates or vice versa.  TBH, I think adding at least one more stallion would at least mitigate the problem.  I have no difficulty buying the student six as a mix-gendered group of friends.  Of course, even they couldn't avoid shipping indefinitely.

 

I can't think of any kiddie movie that has a relationship as a feature other than the awesomeness that is Steven Universe, and that didn't reveal the relationship until you were firmly in love with the characters in it. If Hitch and *checks* Sunny start off in a relationship I will be very surprised. Relationships are boring from the outside - they are a destination, but just like with Twily and Flash I doubt that G5 will continue over the movie relationship subplot into the series.

I see the student six as the set up for G5 and eps 24-25 of S9 as the plot of the movie pretty much: re-learning the lessons of the Mane 6 saves the poor ponies who have lost their sparkle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal concern (which can't really be fixed, but still) is the character models. The bodies are fine but the faces are just a little too human for me. I genuinely like that they've now shown the hooves on the ponies, given them fetlocks, and have shown different styled wings for 2 characters (more diverse models which is super neat compared to every past generation where nearly every character has had the same model lol) but the faces are where they get me.

I can *hope* that the TV episodes for it will be 2D. But since it's through Netflix I'm really doubtful :huh:

Also, I know I said I liked the different wing shapes for Pipp and Zipp, but I do have to say I'm concerned about Zipp's. Hopefully it's just an early character model thing but her wings are very flat and honestly a little photoshop-y looking. The colors are really neat, but they're just so... skimpy?

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2021-04-30 at 6:43 PM, bubbleteapony said:

The colors are really neat, but they're just so... skimpy?

Definitely have to agree there. Her wings look like they have no bones or structure to them.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

 I don't like the way the ponies look. they look flat, uninteresting, and too human-like. I know people are going to disagree with me on this but I want them to be cute and cartoony. even though rainbow dash was a tomboy character she was still cute. g5 probably won't have that childlike wonder that I'm looking for 

Edited by cupcakery
  • Brohoof 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cupcakery said:

 I don't like the way the ponies look. they look flat, uninteresting, and too human-like. I know people are going to disagree with me on this but I want them to be cute and cartoony. even though rainbow dash was a tomboy character she was still cute. g5 probably won't have that childlike wonder that I'm looking for 

I have to agree with you on this.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could probably sit here and say the same common complaints that everyone usually has about G5 so far, you know the ones like Covering Modern Problems, Forced Diversity, Politics, Gender Roles, the "Toy Story" artstyle, and other controversial topics. 

Me personally, stuff like that I'm honestly used to being in shows now a days as long as it's done right. Be it that this is a show targeted towards little girls, i'm sure they're not going to hammer it down our throats to degree like other shows which have a different target audience. If anything my ONLY concerns for MLP G5 is if the writing can stay good or if the animation can stay consistent, because lord knows they're not going to get away with accidentally making a pony an Alicorn as an animation error this time around (Since it's in CGI and such). As for the writing, as long as the writing has a similar feel to G4 and feels improved upon. I'm game for anything to be honest (I'm really open minded lol).

I guess for any small concerns that I have, the only small concern I have is how the show will handle G4's Legacy. You know continuity and such, I hope don't retcon anything or change anything too significant to pander to G5

Lastly, something I find funny would be if the animation team behind G5 purposely tries to make an animation error for a random background Pony to try and make a "G5 Derpy" or something, that would be hilarious but at the same time really desperate in my eyes. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

  • Brohoof 3
  • Smile 1
  • Hug 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, GatebreakerGT said:

I could probably sit here and say the same common complaints that everyone usually has about G5 so far, you know the ones like Covering Modern Problems, Forced Diversity, Politics, Gender Roles, the "Toy Story" artstyle, and other controversial topics. 

I made those complaints for a bit. Got bored. :nom:

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...