Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you rather have G4 animation for G5?

PinkiePie6134

That's fine, I prefer the G4 animation too. I didn't really like the G5 animation at first, but I'm used to it now. I get why 3D animation is the style most modern animated movies have to adopt now. 

• Brohoof 4

So what kind of G4 animation are we talking about?

• Standard TV show style
  • Equestria Girls style
  • MLP The Movie style
  • Season 9 TV style
  • Rainbow Roadtrip style
  • Pony Life style

There has been an overall change in the G4 style over time. Some might be minor nitpicks, and others are so different that it changes how characters fundamentally looks. Equestria Girls specials have pony designs that are a little bit taller, and somewhat safer to look at from a back view (just safer in general).
Season 9 took a lot of the Movie style and mixed it in, like a lot of cheeks were added to frames that didn't previously have cheeks (when it wasn't necessary).

The G5 animation is of course 3D. The 3D animation so far has shown expressions that might be experimental at this point. It is hard to know at this moment, but we will see soon what happens!

The difference between 2D animation and 3D animation can be quite large. It is pretty easy to get a feel for how the 3D will look, by just watching anything that uses 3D animation (movies, TV shows, they all got the same tricks going on). Nothing new has really been introduced that has been groundbreaking, if you don't count realistic hair. 2D on the other hand has had many years or perfection, different styles, almost abstract ideas that have been tested out. Even 3D introduced into 2D animation has been a thing in Anime for years now.

So where will the 3D ponies take us? Don't rule them out yet! Story and character built-up might actually make them iconic! It has happened before. Probably a lot of tennis ball ponies will become a thing to be seen! Animation is only one part of G5.

• The title was changed to Would you rather have G4 animation for G5?

I would rather have G4 Toon Boon horses, as in the movie and Rainbow Roadtrip. Oh well, CGI doesn’t look too bad either, and the animations make them more appealing 

• Brohoof 5

As much as I love G4 style, I want G5 to look different and distinct. I'm generally fine with 3D, and I'm pretty sure I'll get used to G5 style. Although I hope it'll improve over time, just like G4 did.

• Brohoof 2

No I wouldn't mind a different 2d style tho. Not "calarts style" tho as they call it. Maybe something in tv paint with texture or that. I didn't mind the animation of the mlp fim style they used in movies and specials though i know some ppl hated that but I think aspects of that like the better movement and eye style could work. I guess they started to already modify the g4 art style in that way but I think some bigger changes would have been nice.

On 2021-03-11 at 2:07 PM, Splashee said:

Season 9 took a lot of the Movie style and mixed it in, like a lot of cheeks were added to frames that didn't previously have cheeks (when it wasn't necessary).

I don't see any difference whatsoever. S9 still look more or less the same as it was throughout the whole show

Personally, I'd love to see something like the animation and designs from the G4 movie and Rainbow Roadtrip special. But 3D animation has become more and more appealing in recent decades, especially in animated movies from pretty much every major studio in the United States, so I see why they're using it. It's trendy.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't really want it to be the G4 style again (would want G5 to have its own identity, not just a copy of FiM), but I'm also not a fan of the 3D style either.

Felt like a good "middle ground" would have been to use the movie's and Rainbow Roadtrip's style. :/

• Brohoof 2

in a perfect world i'd like it to be frame-by-frame animation, but i know that's asking too much these days. i just hope they won't become less expressive in the series after the movie

• Brohoof 2

My favorite animation style by far is the Toon Boom design used for the '17 movie/rainbow roadtrip, and I'd love to see that style return so we could get more of the movie's amazing visuals.

2483727.jpg

I would prefer it to be like gen four only a story from another perspective I guess, sort of like the mandalorian haha. Though I don't mind the animation of gen five I just prefer the gen four of course haha.

• Brohoof 4

The 3d designs are starting to grow on me; that being said, I think they look better in motion than they do in stills.

Interesting thought, though:  will they have an in-universe reason for why G-4 looks as flat as it does while G-5 looks as alive as it does?

• Brohoof 3

I have no preference; personally. As long as the animators and showrunners give us something with quality and the like; I shall be pleased~

• Brohoof 3