Technology How old is your computer?

Register now to remove this ad.

Over 8 years old, somehow still going fairly strong. I got my laptop for Christmas in 2012 and all I have ever added to it hardware-wise was a ram expansion, now having 8gb instead of 4gb. Really wasn't fond of it at first but I fully appreciate it these days for how much it has let me do and for how friggin' long it has lasted and is still going.

• Brohoof 3

I got my PC in August 2020 at some point (so only had it for 7 months)

My laptop I've had a couple of years (though i slightly damaged it with coke, recently the sound only started working again, wi-fi and mobile data still doesn't), and it was already used (it came out in like 2012 I think)
I mean for what I need a laptop for, it does everything and more

Newest is 2, oldest complete and currently working is...18!? Long story short is we don't get rid of our old ones, they get repurposed for misc tasks.

My workhorse is about 6, if using the age of the parts, not the assembly date.

My current gaming rig is hitting 2 years come May-ish. Considering getting better sound system as the speakers I have are getting rather old.

• Brohoof 1
Badges

My PC is technically three years old, but I only got it up and running around September last year. My other laptop will be six years old this year.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Cash_In said:

My PC is technically three years old, but I only got it up and running around September last year. My other laptop will be six years old this year.

were you self building it?

Three years old laptop that I'm currently using, I don't see any reason to buy a new one so I'll be building a pc I might get a gaming laptop I mean my current one does have the capacity for gaming. It wasn't specifically marketed as a gaming pc but has powerful ram and cpu the graphics card is pretty decent as well. Main selling point however was the two terabytes of storage which is nice. Very good computer although again I had planned on building a rig as well just to have gaming pc specifically hehe.

• Brohoof 1
  • teacup 1

6 hours ago, The Hawks Simp said:

were you self building it?

Well, I got it from someone who built it themself, but it was barely functional. My dad and I fixed it up a bit and managed to get it up and running.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

Three years old laptop that I'm currently using, I don't see any reason to buy a new one so I'll be building a pc I might get a gaming laptop I mean my current one does have the capacity for gaming. It wasn't specifically marketed as a gaming pc but has powerful ram and cpu the graphics card is pretty decent as well. Main selling point however was the two terabytes of storage which is nice. Very good computer although again I had planned on building a rig as well just to have gaming pc specifically hehe.

yeah, I'm going to get a couple of crucial upgrades for me to be able to enjoy gaming on my PC for quite a while longer, cause I can feel like mine is going to stuggle in around a year (plus Cyberpunk)

2 hours ago, Cash_In said:

Well, I got it from someone who built it themself, but it was barely functional. My dad and I fixed it up a bit and managed to get it up and running.

oh i see, well cool :)

• Brohoof 1

I got my Keyboard, Mouse, Lamp and monitor for Christmas in 2020. My chair in christmas 2018, and the computer tower in June of 2020. So in 2020 I have completely replaced my entire setup.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say my computer is about 3 years old when I built it, but some of the parts are older than that.

i7-6700K and a Founders 1080 Ti.

The other computer I tend to use would be my 9 year old Macbook Pro.

• Brohoof 1
  • Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

Too old.

Desktop is 2013, running on Windows 10.

Laptop is 2012, running on Xubuntu. Was running on Windows 7 but there's an issue with the harddrive so I have to settle with this oddball OS. Wish I had Microsoft Paint... none of the other programs beat it as far as simplicity goes. Can't find a good duplicate of it.

• Hug 1

1 minute ago, WWolf said:

Too old.

Desktop is 2013, running on Windows 10.

Laptop is 2012, running on Xubuntu. Was running on Windows 7 but there's an issue with the harddrive so I have to settle with this oddball OS. Wish I had Microsoft Paint... none of the other programs beat it as far as simplicity goes. Can't find a good duplicate of it.

You definitely need an upgrade!

• Brohoof 2