Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daylight Saving Sucks

Fluttershutter

What sucks is that we Spring Forward so early in March before we even hit the Spring Equinox, meanwhile we Fall Back more than a month after the Autumnal Equinox. It's very uneven. =/

Multiple problems for me as well, such as having to bring in my pet ducks earlier in the winter. The spring one takes an hour away, which is painful for us with sleeping problems.

However, my collection of clocks set their time automatically, and without Daylight Savings, I will have to manually adjust time because there is no way to turn off the automatic change :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 1

What sucks is that I normally forget it happens and end up being late for things. Not to mention that it steals some of my sleep. However, despite its negative effects, I wouldn't recommend signing a petition to end it until you've thoroughly researched daylight savings time. It is important to recognize that daylight savings time has both positive and negative effects, and that ending it will mean that the benefits that daylight savings time provides will be sacrificed for the benefits of its absence.

Here's two articles that mentions some of the pros and cons of daylight savings time:

https://www.livescience.com/56048-daylight-saving-time-guide.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-saving-debate.html

27 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

What sucks is that I normally forget it happens and end up being late for things. Not to mention that it steals some of my sleep. However, despite its negative effects, I wouldn't recommend signing a petition to end it until you've thoroughly researched daylight savings time. It is important to recognize that daylight savings time has both positive and negative effects, and that ending it will mean that the benefits that daylight savings time provides will be sacrificed for the benefits of its absence.

Here's two articles that mentions some of the pros and cons of daylight savings time:

https://www.livescience.com/56048-daylight-saving-time-guide.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-saving-debate.html

I don't see these supposed benefits as being anywhere near worth the trouble.

• Brohoof 2

54 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

I don't see these supposed benefits as being anywhere near worth the trouble.

They aren't "supposed" benefits, they are benefits based on studies, logic, and facts. It's factual and logical that DST gives everyone longer evenings and it's also factual and logical that because of DST, or more specially longer evenings, causes us to be exposed to more natural light as opposed to artificial.

In addition to that, there are two specific studies that provide support to another benefit of DST. According to the article I posted above by timeanddate.com, "studies have found that DST contributes to improved road safety by reducing pedestrian fatalities by 13% during dawn and dusk hours" and "another study found a 7% decrease in robberies following the spring shift to DST" (link to the article).

With that said, keep in mind that the point of me mentioning those benefits to you isn't to say that those benefits outweigh the drawbacks or that your statement that you don't think the benefits of DST are worth the trouble is wrong; rather, it is to say that those benefits aren't supposed but instead have proper support from facts, logic, and studies. I don't say that to prove that DST should or shouldn't be ended though, I'm simply making you aware that there are legitimate benefits to DST in addition to drawbacks.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

They aren't "supposed" benefits, they are benefits based on studies, logic, and facts. It's factual and logical that DST gives everyone longer evenings and it's also factual and logical that because of DST, or more specially longer evenings, causes us to be exposed to more natural light as opposed to artificial.

A study is not absolute proof. They're supposed benefits.

8 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

A study is not absolute proof. They're supposed benefits.

Even if a study is not absolute proof, it is still proof nonetheless., and something cannot supposed if proof is provided.

It's ok if you still disagree with me though in that the benefits of DST are supposed. And keep in mind that I am not necessarily supporting DST through what I said previously. I actually lean towards ending DST instead of keeping it.

7 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

Even if a study is not absolute proof, it is still proof nonetheless., and something cannot supposed if proof is provided.

It's ok if you still disagree with me though in that the benefits of DST are supposed. And keep in mind that I am not necessarily supporting DST through what I said previously. I actually lean towards ending DST instead of keeping it.

I disagree on the benefits of DST. I'd love to see it ended.

• Brohoof 3

15 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

So then why do you need to keep nitpicking about a single word?

6 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

So then why do you need to keep nitpicking about a single word?

It's not nickpicking, words hold meaning and the word "suppose" holds an important meaning that something is based on assumptions rather than actual proof, which is this case means that the benefits of DST are based on assumptions rather than proof and are therefore dismissible, which would essentially undermine my main point that there are benefits to DST in addition to drawbacks.

Or to summarize what I just said, I keep nitpicking about a single word because that word attacks the very foundation of my point. What you did is like calling an article unreasonable or fallacious, and what I did is like the writer of that article explaining to you why it's not unreasonable or fallacious.

Yea i dont see the point here we already got summer time which is much more sensible they should never change it lol it just makes evenings darker in the winter like why why

(Btw im talking about uk one)

Edited by flurry

On 2021-03-16 at 3:57 PM, EpicEnergy said:

It's not nickpicking, words hold meaning and the word "suppose" holds an important meaning that something is based on assumptions rather than actual proof, which is this case means that the benefits of DST are based on assumptions rather than proof and are therefore dismissible, which would essentially undermine my main point that there are benefits to DST in addition to drawbacks.

Or to summarize what I just said, I keep nitpicking about a single word because that word attacks the very foundation of my point. What you did is like calling an article unreasonable or fallacious, and what I did is like the writer of that article explaining to you why it's not unreasonable or fallacious.

I don't care if you agree with me or not but I repeat just because you found an article is not conclusive proof of anything.

• 1 year later...

I had to do some heavy bug fixing for my clocks these last couple of weeks, so I am praying for the Daylight Savings to work (it should).

• Brohoof 1

Daylight Savings definitely sucks. It’s just manipulation and it’s lame. Do they honestly think more people will stay out and spend money if they have an extra hour of daylight? Now that the world has seen what covid can do for pointlessly cutting back on business hours, services and staff, there’s nothing left to stay open anyway. It’s just another bad idea; hence the world embraces it with wild abandon.

• Brohoof 2

Daylight savings are a pain and I really don't think it needs to be a thing in today's day and age. Like I understand why it's done, I just don't agree with it.

I swear I was even more of a grouch than I normally would have been this past week because an hour was taken from my weekend. Also, I hate how dark it is when I get up in the mornings.

This time losing an hour will not make a difference since I have lost many hours while changing my sleep schedule anyways.

One more week and it will be summer time here :ticking: