Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nick Confalone reveals plans for EQG Finale

Megas

I know I'm way late to this, but I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for drawing my attention to it even though it also makes me really sad. I freaking love Sunset and would have been over the moon (and the sun) to see a proper conclusion for her and EQG in general. I'll keep a tiny flame of hope lit in my heart though I know it won't happen.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Starset Twinkle said:

I know I'm way late to this, but I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for drawing my attention to it even though it also makes me really sad. I freaking love Sunset and would have been over the moon (and the sun) to see a proper conclusion for her and EQG in general. I'll keep a tiny flame of hope lit in my heart though I know it won't happen.

With G5 out, I don't think we will ever se Equestria Girls or Sunset Shimmer again :(

19 hours ago, Splashee said:

With G5 out, I don't think we will ever se Equestria Girls or Sunset Shimmer again :(

While you're very likely right, if Hasbro thinks they can profit off nostalgia, they will attempt to do so! All we can hope is that if they decide returning to EQG is in their interest, they do it right and not do like an EQG Go!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2021-03-14 at 3:33 PM, Megas said:

Hide contents

Looks like they would have actually addressed the elephant in the room and finally bring in Humanland Sunset. Reading this, I'm willing to believe the possibility of it ending with Sunset returning to Equestria permanently

EDIT: I should probably reiterate that this isn't happening, this is just something he had planned had Hasbro let him end the season/series properly

Nothing for Spike in this?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2021-03-30 at 7:16 PM, Thrond said:

The series has never really dealt with the problem of Equestrian magic leaking into humanland; I always thought it was setting that up for a later special that never happened. Tying the human Sunset Shimmer into that would have been extra cool. I always preferred the idea that she was just off somewhere else, but it would explain a lot if the Sunset we know somehow replaced her. I still wonder how innocent an alternate version of Sunset Shimmer could really be, but maybe she had her own redemption arc offscreen. 

At the same time, I just don't feel like Sunset's redemption arc was "ongoing," even in 2017. That was kinda my problem with "Forgotten Friendship" - I don't feel like it adds anything, because I don't think there's a lot left to add to that story. It would have been better to give her something new to worry about. 

To be fair, Forgotten Friendship did add something with Sunset and Celestia reconciling plus the idea that there is someone who still has a grudge against Sunset for her previous actions as a bully (was that a bad idea?).

On 2021-03-14 at 3:33 PM, Megas said:

Hide contents

Looks like they would have actually addressed the elephant in the room and finally bring in Humanland Sunset. Reading this, I'm willing to believe the possibility of it ending with Sunset returning to Equestria permanently

EDIT: I should probably reiterate that this isn't happening, this is just something he had planned had Hasbro let him end the season/series properly

I doubt they would've ended with Sunset leaving the human world for good and cutting off all contact with her human friends if they had gotten Equestria Girls a proper finale. I doubt they'd spend several movies, specials, and shorts focusing on the girls' friendship if Sunset did get permanent separation.

Heck, Forgotten Friendship even has Sunset get her memories of the human world back immediately after they're removed so that does imply to me that they wouldn't go for her cutting contact with the human world. Especially when we have pony Twilight still being in contact with the rest of the Mane 6 even when moving to Canterlot as princess.

Even that deleted "homsesick Sunset" subplot in Friendship Games ended with her deciding to stay in the human world.

I think even one of the writers mentioned Sunset's true home is the human world, so I'm positive she'd spend the rest of her days there (maybe becomes a teacher at Canterlot High) with occasional visits to Equestria and using the journals to message Twilight and Celestia.

On 2023-08-09 at 7:03 PM, nightshroud96 said:

Nothing for Spike in this?

What would Spike even contribute in all this? Like I get you wanted him to be a human, but what impact would a human Spike even make?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-12-16 at 3:17 PM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

be fair, Forgotten Friendship did add something with Sunset and Celestia reconciling

But it doesn't mean a whole lot; it's a quick scene in a story that isn't really about it. There isn't a lot of weight to the moment. 

On 2023-12-16 at 3:17 PM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

the idea that there is someone who still has a grudge against Sunset for her previous actions as a bully

You could do something with that, but it's not meaningful for Sunset; she's already proven herself as a hero and a nice person. We already saw her make up with people she bullied in the past. There's nothing for her to learn from this scenario.

3 hours ago, Thrond said:

But it doesn't mean a whole lot; it's a quick scene in a story that isn't really about it. There isn't a lot of weight to the moment. 

You could do something with that, but it's not meaningful for Sunset; she's already proven herself as a hero and a nice person. We already saw her make up with people she bullied in the past. There's nothing for her to learn from this scenario.

So is there a way then that the idea of Sunset and Celestia reconciling could have worked if it had to happen at all?

And what plots do you think would be a better fit for Sunset Shimmer to be in if Forgotten Friendship and Sunset's Backstage Pass don't really work as far as Sunset Shimmer focused stories go? Like, it's not like she's incapable of carrying a plot at all anymore.

3 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

Him actually get to do stuff and explore his bond with the girls

Like what exactly, what specific stuff would human Spike even do?

Looking at each movie:

• Friendship Games: Would've been the same role he had in the canon movie
  • Legend of Everfree: Slightly less prominent as even if you added the idea that the younger students can go on the trip (meaning the CMC, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon would also appear), since now he wouldn't be in the same tent as Twilight and Sunset and not be aware of Twilight's nightmares like he would be if he was a dog so he'd be less useful
  • Dance Magic: Even if Spike was a human, I doubt he'd be in the Rainbooms' band since I get the vibe his VA wasn't much of a singer (why else do you think Spike gets less musical numbers than Starlight, the CMC, and Celestia/Luna) so he'd have just as much presence as canon
  • Movie Magic: Again, same role he had in canon special and already pairs him with Pinkie anyway
  • Mirror Magic: Considering the story focuses more on Sunset and Starlight, Spike wouldn't accomplish squat there even if he did show up
  • Forgotten Friendship: Story focuses more on Sunset and trying to get her friends' memories back so Spike would still not get more to do since he'd still have his good memories of Sunset wiped (and the other 6 Rainbooms already didn't get that much screentime in the special). I'd argue Spike being a dog would make him more likely to have a big role in the special since he'd technically not lose his memories due to not being a CHS student, leading to him helping Sunset out. So Dog Spike has a higher change of getting a bigger role here than Human Spike.
  • Rollercoaster of Friendship: Special focuses on Rarity and Applejack's dynamic and ship tease, not much room for human Spike there to contribute
  • Spring Breakdown: Focuses more on Rainbow Dash, human Spike still wouldn't add anything to the special.
  • Sunset's Backstage Pass: Sunset's the only one who remembers all the time loops, so Spike still wouldn't get much to do as a human since he'd keep forgetting the previous time loops like everyone else except Sunset
  • Holidays Unwrapped: Definitely wouldn't be in Blizzard or Bust since I doubt a human Spike would be in the same classes as the Rainbooms, Saving Pinkie's Pie I doubt would've given him much to do there, same for Cider Louse for Fools and Dashing Through the Mall

All in all, Spike being a human wouldn't really change or do squat to make him more prominent in the movies/specials.

And what would be there to explore with his relationship with the other six? Fluttershy would have even less reason to have a special bond with him since he isn't an animal (she's an animal lover). And I don't think the "Spike crushing on Rarity" thing would be that great in EQG considering they were pushing Rarity with Applejack in stuff like Rollercoaster of Friendship and Spring Breakdown, and Spike would come off as a bad friend for crushing on Rarity when he knows she likes Applejack.

And why aren't you commenting on Fluttershy not getting any focus either? She's a human, yet she pretty much never gets to be a main lead of any movie/special.

Besides, I don't think Spike being a dog is the reason for him not getting more focus. Like, just look at Scooby in Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, they integrated him pretty well in the Mystery Inc dynamic despite Scooby being a talking dog, so Dog Spike can very much still work.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see the good folks at IDW take this idea and use it to give Equestria Girls a proper finale. I don't care if it is a comic-book miniseries or a graphic novel as long as it is done well! 

• 2 months later...
On 2023-12-29 at 12:13 AM, SunsetShimmerStan said:

So is there a way then that the idea of Sunset and Celestia reconciling could have worked if it had to happen at all?

And what plots do you think would be a better fit for Sunset Shimmer to be in if Forgotten Friendship and Sunset's Backstage Pass don't really work as far as Sunset Shimmer focused stories go? Like, it's not like she's incapable of carrying a plot at all anymore.

Like what exactly, what specific stuff would human Spike even do?

Looking at each movie:

• Friendship Games: Would've been the same role he had in the canon movie
  • Legend of Everfree: Slightly less prominent as even if you added the idea that the younger students can go on the trip (meaning the CMC, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon would also appear), since now he wouldn't be in the same tent as Twilight and Sunset and not be aware of Twilight's nightmares like he would be if he was a dog so he'd be less useful
  • Dance Magic: Even if Spike was a human, I doubt he'd be in the Rainbooms' band since I get the vibe his VA wasn't much of a singer (why else do you think Spike gets less musical numbers than Starlight, the CMC, and Celestia/Luna) so he'd have just as much presence as canon
  • Movie Magic: Again, same role he had in canon special and already pairs him with Pinkie anyway
  • Mirror Magic: Considering the story focuses more on Sunset and Starlight, Spike wouldn't accomplish squat there even if he did show up
  • Forgotten Friendship: Story focuses more on Sunset and trying to get her friends' memories back so Spike would still not get more to do since he'd still have his good memories of Sunset wiped (and the other 6 Rainbooms already didn't get that much screentime in the special). I'd argue Spike being a dog would make him more likely to have a big role in the special since he'd technically not lose his memories due to not being a CHS student, leading to him helping Sunset out. So Dog Spike has a higher change of getting a bigger role here than Human Spike.
  • Rollercoaster of Friendship: Special focuses on Rarity and Applejack's dynamic and ship tease, not much room for human Spike there to contribute
  • Spring Breakdown: Focuses more on Rainbow Dash, human Spike still wouldn't add anything to the special.
  • Sunset's Backstage Pass: Sunset's the only one who remembers all the time loops, so Spike still wouldn't get much to do as a human since he'd keep forgetting the previous time loops like everyone else except Sunset
  • Holidays Unwrapped: Definitely wouldn't be in Blizzard or Bust since I doubt a human Spike would be in the same classes as the Rainbooms, Saving Pinkie's Pie I doubt would've given him much to do there, same for Cider Louse for Fools and Dashing Through the Mall

All in all, Spike being a human wouldn't really change or do squat to make him more prominent in the movies/specials.

And what would be there to explore with his relationship with the other six? Fluttershy would have even less reason to have a special bond with him since he isn't an animal (she's an animal lover). And I don't think the "Spike crushing on Rarity" thing would be that great in EQG considering they were pushing Rarity with Applejack in stuff like Rollercoaster of Friendship and Spring Breakdown, and Spike would come off as a bad friend for crushing on Rarity when he knows she likes Applejack.

And why aren't you commenting on Fluttershy not getting any focus either? She's a human, yet she pretty much never gets to be a main lead of any movie/special.

Besides, I don't think Spike being a dog is the reason for him not getting more focus. Like, just look at Scooby in Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, they integrated him pretty well in the Mystery Inc dynamic despite Scooby being a talking dog, so Dog Spike can very much still work.

1. He would actually get to interact more with others and be easier to do stuff and be a actual character than a PROP.

2. Pretty sure if they added that younger students can come, he would still be allowed to hangout with Sci-Twi due to being his older sister
3. He CAN accomplish something if the plot allows it.  Like helping Starlight get the mirror or giving a helping hand
4. They used different VAs when having characters since iirc.  So they can do the same for Spike.  And it probably look pretty adorable seeing him being able to play something while in the band
5. He would probably still help Sunset anyway(especially if Wallflower forgot to take his memories, which is ironic since she's angry people basically forgot/never notice her)
6. Spike can still contribute by just joining in on the fun properly.
7. Spike would still be there and actually get to meet his dragon counterpart(something the show wasted the chance to while Sci-Twi got to meet hers TWICE)
8.  Still be involved and actually do something though, and probably end up listening to Sunset about the loops.
9.  He would most likely get to be there for the activities anyway that intersect and probably participate in something

Spike being human will do him ALOT more prominent since he is not just THERE like a prop.
Like has the actual potential to do something and such.
Fluttershy would still bond with him due to being adorable little guy who helps her with the animals
Pinkie Pie might find it fun planning hilarious stuff since kids around Spike's age are mischevious
Rarity would surely appreciate his help and such even if the whole "Spike's crush on Rarity" is missing, and appricate him hanging out with her little sister
Applejack might like to see him as a little brother too that helps out with chores or hanging out with Applebloom.
Rainbow Dash might like to show off her awesome skills and such for another fan just like with Scootaloo

Spike has it much worse than Fluttershy's case

Spike being a DOG IS the reason why his role was so badly limited.  Most of the time he's either THERE like a prop, unable to interact with characters outside of the Rainbooms, so many times Sci-Twi forgets she can break the "no pets allowed" rule(freaking hypocrite she is), so many times he has to stay in the backpack.  So many stuff he can't do because he's a dog
No, the thing with Scooby is not really the same as Spike's case.  Dog Spike REALLY DOESN'T WORK.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

1. He would actually get to interact more with others and be easier to do stuff and be a actual character than a PROP.

2. Pretty sure if they added that younger students can come, he would still be allowed to hangout with Sci-Twi due to being his older sister
3. He CAN accomplish something if the plot allows it.  Like helping Starlight get the mirror or giving a helping hand
4. They used different VAs when having characters since iirc.  So they can do the same for Spike.  And it probably look pretty adorable seeing him being able to play something while in the band
5. He would probably still help Sunset anyway(especially if Wallflower forgot to take his memories, which is ironic since she's angry people basically forgot/never notice her)
6. Spike can still contribute by just joining in on the fun properly.
7. Spike would still be there and actually get to meet his dragon counterpart(something the show wasted the chance to while Sci-Twi got to meet hers TWICE)
8.  Still be involved and actually do something though, and probably end up listening to Sunset about the loops.
9.  He would most likely get to be there for the activities anyway that intersect and probably participate in something

Spike being human will do him ALOT more prominent since he is not just THERE like a prop.
Like has the actual potential to do something and such.
Fluttershy would still bond with him due to being adorable little guy who helps her with the animals
Pinkie Pie might find it fun planning hilarious stuff since kids around Spike's age are mischevious
Rarity would surely appreciate his help and such even if the whole "Spike's crush on Rarity" is missing, and appricate him hanging out with her little sister
Applejack might like to see him as a little brother too that helps out with chores or hanging out with Applebloom.
Rainbow Dash might like to show off her awesome skills and such for another fan just like with Scootaloo

Spike has it much worse than Fluttershy's case

Spike being a DOG IS the reason why his role was so badly limited.  Most of the time he's either THERE like a prop, unable to interact with characters outside of the Rainbooms, so many times Sci-Twi forgets she can break the "no pets allowed" rule(freaking hypocrite she is), so many times he has to stay in the backpack.  So many stuff he can't do because he's a dog
No, the thing with Scooby is not really the same as Spike's case.  Dog Spike REALLY DOESN'T WORK.

Still, it is weird for human Spike to hang out with a bunch of teenagers. And before you bring out "Sci-Twi is his sister" card for the millionth time, that's still doesn't answer why he'd somehow be the only one of the Rainbooms' siblings to hang out with the group instead of hanging out with his own set of friends? Like, what would stop the human CMC from also hanging out with the Rainbooms since they're also younger siblings like Spike is?

And still, you never addressed the part where I bring up how there is a chance they probably hadn't outright figured out how to define Twilight and Spike's relationship yet (it's telling it took until season 9 for them refer to Twilight and Spike as siblings in Sparkle's Seven with the first EQG movie coming out between seasons 3 and 4) at the time between mother/son (which was a pretty popular interpretation and still remains one to this day), older sister/little brother, or some third thing so making Spike a dog may have been a way of not having to awkwardly answer that at the time. Like how were the EQG writers supposed to know how to interpret a relationship with Human Spike and Sci-Twi when even Friendship is Magic was inconsistent on how their relationship was supposed to be in the first few seasons and having no knowledge of Sparkle's Seven?

Heck, name one show that had a preteen hang out with a bunch of teenagers instead of friends their own age.

And don't you think Spike somehow being the only one to not get his memories wiped by Wallflower qualifies as borderline "Spike worship" fanfiction territory? Like him somehow being the only human who Wallflower didn't wipe memories of would be hard to explain since it was made clear Wallflower targeted everyone in CHS in one night, how would she miss Spike specifically unless she intentionally skipped him like she did for Sunset (and that was only because she wants revenge on Sunset)? Feels like a borderline bad worship fanfic.

And if you're complaining on Spike not interacting with his Equestrian counterpart, why aren't you complaining on Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie not getting to meet their pony counterparts too?

Like, name one time Fluttershy was that relevant in the EQG movies/specials outside of being "the seventh geode"? At least Spike had some relevancy in Friendship Games of being Sci-Twi's closest confidant and helping Sunset snap Sci-Twi back to normal. Fluttershy doesn't even get that.

And at the end of the day, Sunset's the main protagonist of the spin off, not Spike. So stop acting like Spike has to be the lead in everything all the time, your Spike worship is getting annoying.

In all fairness, Friendship is Magic didn't do much on showing Spike's relationships with the Mane 6 outside Twilight and Rarity either. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie don't get episodes focusing on their relationship with him, Fluttershy only got a couple episodes with him (she didn't even bother going to the dragon migration for him in Dragon Quest), and Applejack's only episode with Spike was in Spike at Your Service (and we can all agree that episode was pretty terrible). Spike interacts more with Discord, Big Mac, and Starlight than he does with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack.

Also, what pet would you have given Sci-Twi then? Given Pet Project hinges on Sunset being the only one of the Rainbooms without a pet, what pet would Sci-Twi have?

Why wouldn't Scooby be the same case as Spike? He's essentially a talking dog hanging out with teenagers too.

And I think there is also the chance that a talking dog would've probably gone against the girls trying to keep magic a secret. After all, they probably don't wanna risk people finding out Spike can talk and getting him taken away for government experimentation. So that's why they didn't bring Spike along. And even then, I'm on a Yacht shows they did bring Spike on the second cruise after Spring Breakdown.

Edited by SunsetShimmerStan
  • Brohoof 1