Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Magic lost in g5?

Lordofcrazy

Knowing that G5 takes place in the distant future, we could almost assume that those three are long gone. The reason could be that someone even more powerful has sapped all the magic...but wait, they also said that magic and harmony were together. So...most likely, to restore magic, harmony must be restored as well, which means the main villain of the movie could've done this. As time gets closer, more will be revealed. 

• Brohoof 1

Technically, we don't know if "magic" in that context refers to all magic, or just that "Magic of Friendship" thing G4 kept going on about. And for what it's worth, the press release mentioned a "flying Pomeranian".

7 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

Technically, we don't know if "magic" in that context refers to all magic, or just that "Magic of Friendship" thing G4 kept going on about. And for what it's worth, the press release mentioned a "flying Pomeranian".

Well they put a tennis ball on the horn...so I would assume that would neuter its last useful use if there is no magic.

My guess (and I could be wrong on this) is that they mean "magic" in more of a symbolic sense. Like, instead of Equestria's physical magic being gone, the magic of friendship is gone (due to ponies being separated). I say this simply because it is shown that without magic, the world of Equestria wouldn't be able to function, therefore going into ruin. Plus, I can't imagine unicorns without magic and pegasi without flight. Again, I could be wrong, but this is just my guess for the time being.

The simple answer is its gone due to a lack of harmony. There could be a villain in the background feeding off of this like the Sirens did, but I think that would take away from the story and act as a scapegoat for those who'd been against pony unity over generations.

I'd like to think of the disharmony in G5 as a multistep process that took place over time.

Spoiler

1. There's a pushback against the inclusion of other species in Equestria because of preconceived notions, and this regressed all the way to the differing pony races. This creates tensions among the pony populous and species abroad.

2. Twilight and Co. pass on, and while many still preach her ideals on friendship, they're outnumbered and these arent successfully reinforced by those in control after. The previously mentioned tensions give rise to localities refusing service and harassing other species, followed by outright segregation and eventually riots.

3. As the Russians opposed the treatment of fellow Slavic peoples under the rule of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the mother countries of various species will call for an end to their people's mistreatment under threat of war. This will only encourage the segregationists and conflict does breakout.

4. Equestria's supremacy has persisted over the ages but there are cracks on the frontlines. The ponies grow weary as the war drags on. The cost of a no longer existing friendship seems far to great, and everyday more and more agree it would be best to just expell non ponies from the country.

5. An attack on the Equestrian mainland becomes a rallying cry for disunity. Trust in the central government whose own members may have been having doubts is lost. They have shown that they can no longer keep Equestria safe, proven by the enemy presence on the homeland. This attack is claimed to have inevitable as a result of being inclusive. "It was never the intention of other species to do anything but invade us, just as they had attempted in the old days".

6. The war comes to an end, and along with it an identity. The former citizens of Equestria dissolve into bordering states as they see fit, and squabble amongst each other. The ponies are now no different from the world around them before the Era of Friendship.

But there's more to the loss of magic than the loss of harmony, and that's a lack of its necessity.

Spoiler

The average pony doesn't use magic, because they don't have to.

With a weather team, not every Pegasi has to ward off rain clouds or shelter crops from an overbearing sun.

Advances in industry and agriculture mean an Earth Pony is doesn't have to tend to a field on a daily basis.

Unicorns have the most in magical potential, but enhancing there abilities can be an exhaustive process mentally and physically. Basic telekinesis is all that's needed for anything beyond the capabilities of one's mouth or hooves.

-Not finished-

On 2021-03-18 at 1:48 PM, SharpWit said:

But there's more to the loss of magic than the loss of harmony, and that's a lack of its necessity.

How about the sun and moon? Unless something caused them to start moving on their own, Equestria is still going to be reliant on magic for that.

@HedonismBot It's been a long time since I've read it, but Fallout Equestria made the royal princesses out to be goddesses who continued to control the cycle in their passing/ascension as a theological explanation, and I swear Calamity mentioned something about the sun and moon eventually returning to their natural cycles, so basically equivalent to what we have on earth.

It's not canon, but that's how I'd like to think of it one way or the other. Thankfully the actual status of orbiting bodies isn't integral to the on ground storytelling. :awwthanks:

Perhaps unicorns will return to controlling the sun and the moon, it'd be very interesting if they did. The whole reason they did it in the first place I think is because it had the mutual benefit of allowing the pegasi to better control the weather. By balancing out the amount of solar energy the surface receives and the flow of the tide, they can create a sort of blank slate for the pegasi to work with, which then benefits crop growth under earth pony management. This is why when the Windigos arrived a clear cut blame couldn't be placed on one tribe alone, not that this did anything to descalate tensions.

Just cause a bunch of hoofed simpletons cannot find it, that doesn't mean it isn't there. It's like cavemen and electricity. I'm pretty sure their world would break without magic. Even ponies would not be able to function properly. So either ponies remained same selfish G4 trash that came under some particular new management, or writers are trash cause, let's face it, they are not hiring the best and brightest.

When they say the magic is lost, I'm actually inclined to think it more figuratively rather than literal. Like, the wonder, the friendship, it's vanished, based on the setting.

• Brohoof 1

We won't know for sure how this happened until we get more information. Fortunately, we won't have to wait too long for that. So far, from what I've seen, I'm liking all these theories as it shows people are both genuinely curious and wanting to become invested.

Magic works like--let's say--a machine where something is powering it. At some point, this something has to run out of its resources. And when this happens, it becomes useless until replaced with a new source of power. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You have all good reasons to think what you think but i also.

think about it tirek chryselis and cozy glow where turnt to stone so they cant change or age.

and tirek can steal magic they can use the magic to do thing’s like set the sun and moon let it rain etc.

ore they can use grogar’s bell but that’s unlikely because Discord has him.

Greeting’s lordofcrazy

Edited by Lordofcrazy

From my knowledge, the Friendship is Magic toy line ended in 2013? I cannot confirm it, but at one point Hasbro started using just MLP as their logo, removing the "magic" and "friendship" words.

If it is the exact same Equestria as before, will "Friendship" be the main ingredient to the story? It would be easy to just say magic was lost due to ponies losing interest at being friends. Maybe magic got obsolete because of technology?

Either way, Hasbro's Registered Trademark of Friendship Is Magic is still alive according to TESS2. But I cannot see any re-registering going on. If Lauren Faust came up with the friendship being linked to magic, then it will probably not be the main focus of G5. Ever since Equestria Girls, Lauren Faust has disappeared from the show.

My guess is that all pegasus and unicorns have fake attachable gear, because they look like attachables. Maybe it is a toy line thing, where you can create your own pony to be whatever you like. Or it is just a design.

If I had to guess, there is magic insofar as unicorns can still use their horn-magic (why else would anypony want to put a tennis ball on her horn to stop her casting spells?), and earth ponies and pegasi probably still have the same abilities they did during G-4.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that earth ponies and pegasi accept magic, or like it.  I mean, there's a line from Disney's Beauty and the Beast song while the village was going to attack the Beast's castle:  "We don't like/What we don't/Understand, in fact it scares us".  Maybe earth ponies, being separated from pegasi and unicorns (for whatever reason), no longer considered magic to be a normal everyday thing.  In fact, if magic became alien enough to them, they might end up finding it frightening and confusing.