Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Luna actually managed to escape and had a ACTUAL role in the movie?

nightshroud96

Remember how Luna could have escaped if Tempest didn't decide to be reckless and statue-ed Luna while she was freaking flying?
That scene really got on my nerves since Tempest risked Luna shattering and be one alicorn short.  It screams the writers pulling off all the stops to ensure all princesses not named "Twilight 'chosen one' Sparkle" gets taken out.  
Anyway.. what if Luna manages to dodge the orb(or Tempest realizing its too risky to use it on her while Luna is freaking flying) and manages to escape and actually have a role in the movie rather than being stuck as a freaking statue for the entire movie?  
How would things had gone?

Probably better, that's for sure. I think Luna's also a fan favorite. If she accompanied the Main 6, the fans would go nuts and the movie might have sharply increased sales.

I hate those orbs as much as you do, see my thread, "If those orbs that the villains throw didn't exist, what would the beginning of the movie be like? How would the adventure get started?".

I mean, Luna is over 1,000 years old. She shouldn't be killable that easily, and yet the writers created a cheap, bare bones, and unexplained concept that could kill her easily.

Edited by DPBOX

5 minutes ago, DPBOX said:

Probably better, that's for sure. I think Luna's also a fan favorite. If she accompanied the Main 6, the fans would go nuts and the movie might have sharply increased sales.

I hate those orbs as much as you do, see my thread, "If those orbs that the villains throw didn't exist, what would the beginning of the movie be like? How would the adventure get started?".

I mean, Luna is over 1,000 years old. She shouldn't be killable that easily, and yet the writers created a cheap, bare bones, and unexplained concept that could kill her easily.

Which aggravates me even more that despite Luna is a fan-favorite, they still horribly shafted her at this once-in-a-lifetime thing pretty much.

Honestly they could have kept the orbs but have Luna actually DODGE them(or Tempest realizing its too risky to use them while Luna is still flying).
If Twilight was able to be the hero despite the bad guy's having something like those orbs, then Luna should have been able to escape and be a hero too.
In fact having two of the princesses statued instead of having 3 of the 4  would be more "balanced".  

Well, you sure are right about one thing. They should have just been able to dodge the orbs, especially while flying and especially after they saw what the orbs did to Cadence. And, yes, what you said would be more "balanced".

And also, if Celestia and Luna are petrified, who's going to raise the sun and moon??!! If Luna was free, there'd definitely be an answer to that question.

16 minutes ago, DPBOX said:

Well, you sure are right about one thing. They should have just been able to dodge the orbs, especially while flying and especially after they saw what the orbs did to Cadence. And, yes, what you said would be more "balanced".

And also, if Celestia and Luna are petrified, who's going to raise the sun and moon??!! If Luna was free, there'd definitely be an answer to that question.

Really.. I wonder why did the writers shafted Luna horribly anyway despite she's a fan-favorite?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's yet another instance of the writers fucking over Celestia to give us more Luna wank. No thanks

• Brohoof 1

Luna would still get incapacitated somehow as she isn't a main character, so she was always fucked anyways.

On 2021-07-05 at 8:30 PM, Megas said:

It's yet another instance of the writers fucking over Celestia to give us more Luna wank. No thanks

Luna may have gotten a bit more attention from the writers, but I can't say that they were productive with her, either.

Everyone got robbed, really, including the audience. What we should have gotten out of that was the "Battle of Autobot City," but with Ponies. We needed the people at DHX who weren't afraid to turn MLP into DragonballZ, even if for just a couple of minutes. Oh, Hasbro, how much you've forgotten where you came from.

They easily could've had Equestria put up a noble fight against Tempest. They could've still lost, but it would have been far more satisfying than three Alicorns getting slaughtered in 10 seconds, accompanied by the rest of the populous running around like headless chickens.

(edited)
On 2021-07-10 at 12:49 AM, Number62 said:

Luna would still get incapacitated somehow as she isn't a main character, so she was always fucked anyways.

Luna may have gotten a bit more attention from the writers, but I can't say that they were productive with her, either.

They could have made her one in the movie so they won't handle her so horribly.

And the fact Luna takes it worse than Celestia's whenever the worf effect hits.
Celestia at least manages to protect Equestria on her own for a 1000 years, Luna sadly doesn't.
Her track record looks worse due to losing a 1000 years of ruling.  She returned from the moon only to be a failure again and AGAIN.

Edited by nightshroud96

1 hour ago, nightshroud96 said:

Her track record looks worse due to losing a 1000 years of ruling.  She returned from the moon only to be a failure again and AGAIN.

Maybe that's too much time ignoring what goes on in the dream realm? We've seen a lot more Luna victories there. No point in ignoring it just because it's a different plane of existence than the waking one.

On a side note, I hope some of you here, if you were around for the last World Cup event, were aligned with Team Moon. We gave Luna the glory she has been denied for too long.

43 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Maybe that's too much time ignoring what goes on in the dream realm? We've seen a lot more Luna victories there. No point in ignoring it just because it's a different plane of existence than the waking one.

On a side note, I hope some of you here, if you were around for the last World Cup event, were aligned with Team Moon. We gave Luna the glory she has been denied for too long.

Its still dreams than in real life though. Only exception was the Tantabus but that was something Luna made and the fact no other dreams involved a being that can tear into the physical world to wreck havoc.
So its meaningless if Luna is unable to stop villains or threat IN REAL LIFE. No dreams to protect if everyone is dead or enslaved or something. Can't rule and maintain the country if you are unable to stop it from being destroyed. 
And the sisters were literally protectors back then, so its part of their job as rulers in this case(which now they kept failing sadly)

Wasn't aware about the World Cup event.  What was it about again?

4 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Everyone got robbed, really, including the audience. What we should have gotten out of that was the "Battle of Autobot City," but with Ponies. We needed the people at DHX who weren't afraid to turn MLP into DragonballZ, even if for just a couple of minutes. Oh, Hasbro, how much you've forgotten where you came from.

They easily could've had Equestria put up a noble fight against Tempest. They could've still lost, but it would have been far more satisfying than three Alicorns getting slaughtered in 10 seconds, accompanied by the rest of the populous running around like headless chickens.

:sunbutt: "Tempest Shadow must be stopped, no matter the cost"
*turns into a truck*

lol I love that movie but I don't know if I'd want the MLP Movie to be like it. It basically has the opposite problems of the MLP Movie. One plays it safe, trivializes a lot of the characters for the plot and is pretty much a glorified premiere, the other is an incredibly cynical game changer that murders most of the original cast in the very beginning for the sake of new toys. If nothing else though, it at least would have been more interesting

If it were up to me, I would have at least given the Princesses a meaningful subplot to run parallel to the Mane 6's adventure

23 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

Its still dreams than in real life though. Only exception was the Tantabus but that was something Luna made and the fact no other dreams involved a being that can tear into the physical world to wreck havoc.
So its meaningless if Luna is unable to stop villains or threat IN REAL LIFE. No dreams to protect if everyone is dead or enslaved or something. Can't rule and maintain the country if you are unable to stop it from being destroyed. 
And the sisters were literally protectors back then, so its part of their job as rulers in this case(which now they kept failing sadly)

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed to me that dreams are generally far more important to Ponies than they are to humans, to the point that harm in dreams could impact reality ala "Nightmare on Elm St." At the very least, Luna said that if the "Daybreaker" nightmare wasn't defeated soon, Starlight could suffer permanent psychological harm. In our world, dreams don't do this. We have a nightmare, we get over it in a few minutes or occasionally, maybe a within a day. There's something more going on than "just dreams." If there are nightmare monsters lurking about all the time, left unchecked for too long, you could very quickly have a serious health crisis on your hands. And that's just as big of a threat to the stability of a country as an international threat would be.

23 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

Wasn't aware about the World Cup event.  What was it about again?

Go figure, it technically took place in a nightmare realm, but Grogar had trapped the entire planet in a dream-state. A dream that initially began as a benign buckball competition, was corrupted into a Mortal Kombatesque tournament, with teams pitted against one another; losers banished to the nether realm, until only one team remained to battle against Grogar and his cronies. If Grogar won, it would have reordered everyday reality, and given him the power necessary to raise his city of Tambelon out of limbo, to rule over all nations. Team Moon saved the world in a pretty epic fashion, and it had both of the royal sisters when it happened.

23 hours ago, Megas said:

:sunbutt: "Tempest Shadow must be stopped, no matter the cost"
*turns into a truck* 

:ButtercupLaugh:

lol I love that movie but I don't know if I'd want the MLP Movie to be like it. It basically has the opposite problems of the MLP Movie. One plays it safe, trivializes a lot of the characters for the plot and is pretty much a glorified premiere, the other is an incredibly cynical game changer that murders most of the original cast in the very beginning for the sake of new toys. If nothing else though, it at least would have been more interesting

Well, I wouldn't have turned the battle into a slaughterfest if I was doing it. But there was certainly room for a happy medium. We "sort of" got it near the end of the film with the counter-attack, but they seemed to be trying way too hard to make it comedic. In an invasion scenario, at the very least we would've seen a castle get used as an actual freaking castle for once. It also wouldn't have taken much to utilize some basic movie tricks to show that the fight actually went on for a couple of hours, instead of it being over in a few seconds. Anything that didn't make Equestria seem completely incompetent.

I'm going to guess there could have been plans for something darker at one point though. You don't bring in an armada of flying warships as baddies, and then introduce some down-on-their-luck sky pirates as protagonists, if you're not planning on doing an airship battle at some point.

If it were up to me, I would have at least given the Princesses a meaningful subplot to run parallel to the Mane 6's adventure

Ohhh, that could've been interesting. You could even still have the Princesses get frozen near the end, but it would've upped the stakes of the story and also kept the details of Ol' Stormie's plan under wraps for longer. Canterlot castle could've put up enough defense to effectively turn the battle into a Helm's Deep kind of siege, while Twilight takes on Gandalf's role to sneak away and get help which only arrives in the 13th hour.

I would've liked to see the Storm King be given a more serious character too though, instead of having him be a complete bumbling idiot. Let him step onto the battlefield sooner so we can see what kind of power he has even without the buffed-up scepter.

Would've been interesting to see. Twilight would have Luna to accompany her. This means that the scene on the beach where Twilight yells at Pinkie would be much different. Luna would stand up for Pinkie and call out Twilight for her mistake. If Tempest showed up, perhaps she could've been redeemed a lot earlier than at the end...unless the Storm King showed up. Still the betrayal would happen and Tempest would be reformed/redeemed anyway.  

On 2021-07-12 at 11:59 AM, nightshroud96 said:

They could have made her one in the movie so they won't handle her so horribly.

And the fact Luna takes it worse than Celestia's whenever the worf effect hits.
Celestia at least manages to protect Equestria on her own for a 1000 years, Luna sadly doesn't.

The problem is that Luna isn't a main character in the show, so the writers wouldn't have much of a reason to make her a main character for the big movie especially since the movie would also have been made for the general audience who are less (or not at all) familiar with the show. Making Luna or Celestia a main character might look weird to less familiar viewers because they'll wonder why they aren't more prominent in the show.

And Celestia also isn't doing well in the modern times. Even if she did previously protect Equestria for 1000 years, she stopped being effective right when Twilight and friends showed up. I have always felt that both sisters were wasted, and this is the result if the writers have no idea what to do with 2 allegedly powerful and important characters.