Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Relationships in MLP:FiM: Which ones were executed well/poorly?

Adorable Lovestar

While the show wasn't focusing on love, there were a few relationships that were interesting. Big McIntosh had a few love interests before he settled down with Sugar Belle. We also had the Princess Cadance and Shining Armor wedding and baby stories. And not to forget the last episode, pairing Mane 6 characters together, or at least hinting at it.

Should there have been more love? I don't think so. I think the show took off because it focused on Friendship.

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

Should there have been more love? I don't think so. I think the show took off because it focused on Friendship.

I think the show focuses a lot on both kinds of love, but I wouldn't have minded more romance

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Relationships is MLP:FiM: Which ones were executed well/poorly?
1 hour ago, Blue Manestream said:

Gross gross gross, I would prefer more silliness

Ponies being in love, or being married, I find completely fine for the target age group that watched the show.

But I completely understand what you are saying here. And it also (kinda) tells us why there were so little focus on love: Internet. (Can in fact be gross)

No matter how much the show's writers wanted to include romance into the story (Twilight Sparkle and Flash), Internet kept stopping them. The writers could have written anything they liked, but Internet had already come up with the ideas, and they would have been accused of stealing ideas. That's how the story telling and love interests was limited.

This is of course not the section for Equestria Girls, but I still want to think about how much focus it was to find Twilight Sparkle a boyfriend (for what reason?). No other Mane 6 had any boyfriends (except that Rarity on a yacht episode). I think we would have seen that kind of romance with just Twilight Sparkle in FIM, if it would have been allowed. Thankfully the show is called "Friendship is Magic", and not "Love is Magic" :crackle:

• The title was changed to Relationships in MLP:FiM: Which ones were executed well/poorly?

The worst relationship execution? Twilight and Flash Sentry. :yeahno: Yes, people do get crushes, but their attraction to each other felt forced and pointless IMHO :maud:
Big Mac and Cheerilee's relationship is the second poorest because it happened only because of the potion :please:
My most favorite ship if not the best is Pinkie and Cheese Sandwich. :squee: They're almost perfect for each other! Cheese needs laughter to be like himself, and luckily for him Pinkie is the Element of Laughter. I also find it very cute how young Cheese was inspired to become a super duper party pony because of Pinkie too. 
:huh: The only other young love at first sight relationship I can think of in the show is Bright Mac and Pear Butter. The way their story was written was truly emotional, being friends since they were so small and gradually falling in love despite growing up in a feuding family. No, their story isn't like Romeo and Juliet because those humans only spent a day or two together while the horses had to struggle for years! Do not soil the good hearts of these magical ponies :lostit:

• 4 weeks later...