Banner by ~ The Wife of Hawks

General Phone salutations

How do you answer the phone? Do you give the obligatory 'Hello?' or do you live in a country where 'Are you there?' or 'moshi moshi' is customary? Some people respond with their name and little else. What do you say when you pick up the phone? 

• Brohoof 1

Register now to remove this ad.

Kinda depends on who's calling. Either "Hello?" Or "Hello?.......helloooooo?....hello?"(bad cell service) or like the old AT&T/Bell system promo: "What do you want?!" And "What?!"

• Smile 1
Badges

I'd like to answer like a Klingon "nuq neH?* (what do you want?) but I just say "Hello".

My mom just starts talking to you without a hello because she sees who's calling.

• Brohoof 1
Badges

I'm not used to getting calls so I may come off as rude when I pick up and say, "Yeah?" or "Go for Frosty" (my nickname). 

I rarely get legitimate phone calls (most are scams) and I don't pick up the phone unless it's someone I know or someone I need to talk to like an employer for a company that I applied to. So basically, I don't really have any phone salutations, but whenever I call someone I say my name and why I'm calling and whenever I answer a phone call I say "hello".

90% of the time my greeting is pushing the hang up button cause it’s spam. 

The other 10% is a simple “Hello”

• Brohoof 1

It's something like "Allo!". It's a word mutated from english "hello!" and dedicated for phone greetings only

• Brohoof 1
  • teacup 1

One of the problems I have with answering the phone these days is that I live in a country where English isn't the spoken language but work for a company that's based in a country where it is, and unfortunately if I don't catch a glimpse of the number and answer with sveiki, I always get a bit of confusion on the other end. I think most people who call me from work are used to it by now but it is a little inconvenient. But I always answer with hello in Latvian or if it's for work, "Hello, this is Bea".

Badges

On 2021-04-02 at 12:18 PM, Vefka said:

It's something like "Allo!". It's a word mutated from english "hello!" and dedicated for phone greetings only

I use this in some situations,

the others I'll just use "awrite" which is the answer to the greeting, as well as the greeting here among friends usually

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-04-02 at 6:18 AM, Vefka said:

There are people who say "Yellow". :ButtercupLaugh:

And there's Mr. Burns.

ahoy-hoy-meme.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Brohoof 1
  • Laugh 2
Badges

I used to pick up the phone with my name, but that was in the day of landlines without caller ID. Now if someone calls me, I assume that they know they're dialing my number, so I just pick up the phone with, "Hello?" if it's a number I don't know or, "Hey!" when it's someone I know.

Badges