Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why didn't Princess Celestia use the elements on Luna again by herself??

PinkiePie6134

Hi so its been some time since I saw the first season , but on the second part of the first episode, why didnt celestia turn luna into good by herself??She had used the elements again to banish her, why did the mane 6 have to do it

I think the elements require the magic of friendship to be used to their full potential. Celestia probably didn't have any friends other than Luna, who was obviously corrupted at this point, so she didn't have the power needed to reverse the transformation. The best she could do was to banish Nightmare Moon temporarily.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Sonic Shimmer said:

I think the elements require the magic of friendship to be used to their full potential. Celestia probably didn't have any friends other than Luna, who was obviously corrupted at this point, so she didn't have the power needed to reverse the transformation. The best she could do was to banish Nightmare Moon temporarily.

Oh so she couldn't completely make her good like the elenents did by herself yeah that makes sense 

While Luna broke harmony with Celestia, I think Celestia's act of banishment broke harmony with the elements. No doubt the same would have happened had Luna succeeded as Nightmare Moon though.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia is supposed to have been "kidnapped" in the series pilot. There is an explanation for it, albeit a very half-baked one we can only infer from the fact that Celestia is "missing" in the series premiere. 

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Celestia is supposed to have been "kidnapped" in the series pilot. There is an explanation for it, albeit a very half-baked one we can only infer from the fact that Celestia is "missing" in the series premiere. 

Oh I totally forgot about that yeah that makes sense 😂

• Brohoof 1

She ultimately wanted to see if Twilight was ready for the challenge of becoming a princess, so this was likely some kind of test. It makes sense too when you look at what was said about Celestia intentionally releasing Nightmare Moon. Because Celestia was in control of the sun and moon, she would have also had control over the stars as well, and the stars aided in Nightmare Moon's escape. One reason to intentionally release Nightmare Moon would be to challenge Twilight, and another reason would be the hope that should would return back to Luna.

Also, it could be that Celestia knew she could only use the elements of harmony to imprison evil instead of reforming it. Looking at her use of the elements, she imprisoned Discord and Nightmare Moon, and she could have potentially imprisoned Tirek through the use of the elements as well. So, with that said, Celestia wanted her sister to be reformed but she could not do it herself since banishment was the result of her using the elements.

In the end, there are several potential and theoretical explanations as to why Celestia didn't use the elements herself, though none of them are canonical. Also, because the explanations rely on later episodes in later seasons, it makes this a poorly developed plot convenience on it's own.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think by then, Celestia had either lost the connection to the elements or she knew that using them all at the same time again would be too dangerous for her. At some point, the elements had turned to stone and couldn't be used again. Not sure why Celestia abandoned them in the castle instead of returning them to the tree of harmony though. Maybe they had turned to stone after she used them to send NMM to the moon.

Those are my thoughts anyway. 

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2