Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming PS Store to close down on July 2nd for PS3 and PSP, and on August 27 for PS Vita

Jon the VGNerd

(edited)

Digital is the future everyone.

/s

Honestly it was bound to happen eventually, that's to be expected from most digital storefronts. Problem here is Sony's unwillingness to preserve a lot of these games and make them available to the PS4/5. For example, a good chunk of PS1 games, this is the only way to play these games, taking down PSN is gonna make the after market prices for some of these games skyrocket(for example the Megaman Legends games + The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, they're priced in the hundreds, and PSN is the only way to get these games legally). And that's not even getting into the PS2/PS3 games

Jim Ryan's past comments on legacy games certainly doesn't help this situation at all either

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Also, is licensing an issue? If Sony doesn't own the game then they need permission to host it. Maybe there wasn't enough interest from third parties to host their games. I don't know much about it.

I read this I was like bro what you doing sony, like you know I don't think that maintaining those servers is a big deal besides like if you have digital copies of games on those systems then like you have to have it all downloaded right. That said you know I don't really get their decision like focusing on the ps4, ps5 I mean I don't know how about actually focusing on getting out more ps5 and like have a large library of games from the ps1, ps2, psp, ps3 and ps4 available on ps5 then maybe that would be justified I guess I don't know I don't think so. Mainly as I know there are still plenty of people still playing on their ps3 and the psp has a cult following anyway well all of them but you know dudes.

• Brohoof 1

Though I never owned a PS3, PSP or PS Vita, I think that this wasn't a good move on Sony's part. Some game systems were just built to last out, and people should still be able to purchase games from the digital store.

This doesn't affect me as I don't own any of those systems, but it's still sad to hear about Sony doing that. This makes me wonder when Microsoft will end support for the Xbox 360.

The PS store shutting down on those gaming systems is a step in the direction of removing support for all services for those older generation systems such as online play and the manufacturing of products. Looking at the big picture, this should serve as a reminder to avoid investing too much into online-only services and products regarding gaming as, at one point or another, all services on every gaming system will eventually lose support such as Xbox One Series X and PlayStation 5 due to them becoming obsolete awhile after newer gaming systems are released.

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I do not own a playstation but this is just inevitable. The future is digital. 

"The shutdowns mean you’ll no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for the PS3 and Vita."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/29/22356791/sony-playstation-store-close-ps3-vita-psp-game-downloads

What this shows is that you can not put your full reliance on digital media despite what they claim. Regardless, I am very disappointed in Sony and I'm not looking forward to scalpers selling old games for outrageous prices on Amazon and eBay. :maud:

• Brohoof 3

Sony and Nintendo have been fubaring backwards compatibility and game preservation so hard lately and honestly it is infuriating. We all know the PS5 could easily emulate the PS1 and 2 titles that were on PS3 and definitely the PSP and Vita titles as well. With Nintendo, it is an even more obvious problem. The Virtual Console was one of the best things about the Wii, Wii U and 3DS and they could have simply transferred that over to the Switch, with out purchases carried over and baboom, instant huge library of classics ready to purchase on the Switch. Instead, Nintendo says to hell with that in favor of drip feeding some classic titles in their terrible online service. Pathetic really.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Sony and Nintendo have been fubaring backwards compatibility and game preservation so hard lately and honestly it is infuriating. We all know the PS5 could easily emulate the PS1 and 2 titles that were on PS3 and definitely the PSP and Vita titles as well. With Nintendo, it is an even more obvious problem. The Virtual Console was one of the best things about the Wii, Wii U and 3DS and they could have simply transferred that over to the Switch, with out purchases carried over and baboom, instant huge library of classics ready to purchase on the Switch. Instead, Nintendo says to hell with that in favor of drip feeding some classic titles in their terrible online service. Pathetic really.

It's amazing that me, who was a longtime PlayStation fan, is being secretly thrown under the bus by Sony. Now I'm just waiting to see whatever money I get so I can try my best to buy the digital games and DLC through PS Store before Sony decides to pull the plug for good. Now I feel like I'm siding with Microsoft because the marketplace for the 360 is still open to buy digital games, even though DLC is rather barebones for certain titles. I cannot believe I'm just being secretly betrayed by Sony.

23 hours ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

So as it turns out, Sony is shutting down PS Store for PS3, PSP and PS Vita in order to continue support for PS4 and PS5. As a longtime Playstation fan, I felt literally backstabbed by Sony themselves. Here is the source:

https://www.polygon.com/22356858/playstation-store-shut-down-ps3-ps-vita-psp-date-redownload-purchases

i just feel it's gonna just help piracy

With how Nintendo and Sony have been handling game preservation and/or backwards compatibility, stuff like this is why both things are important when it comes to video games.