Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Technology in Equestria (replacement for magic?)

TBD

So it appeared that there’s smartphone being used here

CB82713D-5189-4633-89D9-CBE360A8B7B7.thumb.jpeg.ebeb6114012085aad2a025aee9c3fa68.jpeg

I honestly think this really out of place for MlP using technology. HOWEVER- according to the plot where it said magic is gone- what do they mean by this? Could it be magic is replaced by technology? What do you think of this? And do you think it’s a good idea to include technology in mlp?

• Brohoof 2

We both know it can be done:

__noelle_ruin_guard_and_ruin_hunter_genshin_impact_drawn_by_chigalidepoi__00269025c2f921f05864c7af822798f2.thumb.jpg.de22417a21148bd942c292ca295a0906.jpg

The problem isn't the use of "magic" tech. It's why they are doing it:

Spoiler

And that is why it will suck some major sacks. Oh look, they are using le smartphone. They are just like you, little girl. Don't you feel represented? Now buy our toys!

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely despise the fact that they’re now using modern technology. Seeing that is automatically a turnoff for me. :(

If technology is the reason that magic is gone in Equestria then I’ll be avoiding G5:worry:

• Brohoof 1

Theoretically makes sense with what we've seen from G4. Won't go fully into it, but I think something happened breifly before the Era of friendship, something along the lines of a world War, that resulted in Equestria's isolation and Celestia halting technological progress, and that's why we have thatch roofed villages but arcade games and electronic turntables and so on.

If we're centuries down the line then there's no reason a smartphone couldn't have been developed as far as we know, but it seems out of place with the franchise, even more so with societal regression taking place, and a smart phone won't help a franchise age well.

• Brohoof 2

I just want to see what the ultimately do in the end. I just hope that they follow Onward's example.

Onward was a Pixar movie that featuring both magic and technology and did the right thing by not trying to prove which one is better but by showing how both sides have their ups and downs. By the end of the movie the people of the world now are able to use both of them. And if that can happen in Onward then it could easily happen here in the upcoming Equestria of many years in the future. 

Anyone who claimed the technology should not belong in a fantasy world I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. It's my firm belief that magic and technology are both important and it all depends on how you use it. Not one side is automatically superior to another

• Brohoof 2

I mean, Equestria has arcade machines, dubstep machines, neon, big city screens... it's sort of a magic-fied technology of sorts.

though it's what you do with it that really matters. I just would prefer it maybe not be ultra prevalent. Or something they use ALL the time.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 3

54 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Onward was a Pixar movie that featuring both magic and technology and did the right thing by not trying to prove which one is better but by showing how both sides have their ups and downs. By the end of the movie the people of the world now are able to use both of them. And if that can happen in Onward then it could easily happen here in the upcoming Equestria of many years in the future. 

Anyone who claimed the technology should not belong in a fantasy world I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. It's my firm belief that magic and technology are both important and it all depends on how you use it. Not one side is automatically superior to another

Really now, pre-industrial fantasy worlds are a dime a dozen. The interaction of fantasy stuff with advancing science and technology has so much untapped potential (for what it's worth, that was one of the things that got me interested in Legend of Korra).

Plus G5 is supposed to take place far enough in the future that the Mane Six and their achievements are thought my mainstream Equestria to be some silly old myth.  One would expect to see a fair amount of technological progress in that time.

8 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

I mean, Equestria has arcade machines, dubstep machines, neon, big city screens... it's sort of a magic-fied technology of sorts.

There was actually a statement from the G4 staff to the effect of "If you see something that looks unusually high-tech, assume it's powered by magic".

I had always thought that seeing more sophisticated examples of combining magic and technology (as with, say, Tank's propeller) would be more interesting than just having fancier real-world technology. Though there's no reason we can't have both.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

I can't get the quote to work properly right now, but is it really a "fantasy" world if it's just our world but with horses, pegasus, and unicorns instead of people?

Fair point, but it looks like the plot of the movie will likely involve restoring whatever magic has been lost over time. So even if the world starts out as that, it won't end as that.

• Brohoof 1

It's a sad think think think about the wonderful magical world of Equestria being replaced by an uninspired mirror of the real world. All that mystical world building being wasted and turned into something uninteresting.

I was never against some technology being in Equestria (like the little bits of tech we see here and there in G4), but having modern technology like cellphones and the internet could ruin the overall feel of the show and break the fun magical emersion. Instead of characters having fun, talking with each other, and going on exciting adventures we may have ponies just typing away on their phones 24/7. Just browsing through the internet and posting things to social media instead of going out and spending time with friends, creating experiences, and learning more about friendship. It's a sad thing to think about, and unfortunately it seems like that will be the route the G5 takes.

This is why I'm not very enthusiastic about the idea of modern tech being in G5. It's not just that there is technology in Equestria; it's how this tech will affect the characters and the stories I'm worried about.

• Brohoof 3

13 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Perhaps this is an overreaction on my part, but I'm already over G5 with this snippet alone. All I ever need is a world to be invested in, characters to like and stories to remember. Not some garbage that exists mainly to pander to a brainless youth that doesn't even give a shit regardless. I'm done with obvious exploitation by giant corporations. I will need to be impressed by their efforts when this launches for any chance of me sticking with it. Not that my participation even matters in the first place. Let me have a magical world with colorful ponies. Not some horrid reflection of this reality.

5 hours ago, Kujamih said:

The emoji movie is the reason for the phone hate in films....

As bad as this new show ends up getting, nothing can get a low as the Emoji movie. I'm willing to bet that the whole technology thing is just a part of life and that they will at least show the good and bad sides to things like a good show should. Even in Disney Movies with a "babyish" reputation like Bambi don't just ignore the fact that Bambi had an adult life after his mother was shot. It flat out shown during his adult life a panic-stricken bird flying and getting shot by the offscreen hunter with the body following in plain view of the camera and Bambi and his father had to flee an intense forest fire. By the end of the film, life went on for the forest creatures and the next generation. Just like the characters of Equestria and this upcoming generation.

My point is one shouldn't ignore the things that exists in a fictional world like Equestria. If it exists in the world, it should be interesting to see how the inhabitants use it for good or bad. After all, even before technology there were evil people using dark magic for their own selfish evil ends. Sombra's mind control helmets for example could pretty easily have been done in a sci-fi film with the same risks, rewards, stakes, and problems as any fantasy. Much like the hate the majority of the Internet has against the Disney Live Action Remakes recently, No matter what anybody says, I'm still willing to give these characters and the technology a chance. Even if in the end, it's not as good as the previous generation, I would still like to see how this version plays out.

(Yeah the post feels so much better in this topic)

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, horses are weird said:

Honestly, as long as it's not a major factor in the story, then I don't mind at all.

That’s actually the main issue right there.

If phones just EXIST and are used in a casual, practical way, then it’s not a problem.

But if it’s littered with tired smartphone tropes like selfies, social media obsession, ect., ect., then it’s gonna suuuuuuck...

You know what might have helped? If they made a not-phone. As in, it functions exactly like a smart phone, but doesn’t look like a human one.

Just that little bit of distance from the real world object we all have would make it not stick out so drastically.

• Brohoof 3

11 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

That’s actually the main issue right there.

If phones just EXIST and are used in a casual, practical way, then it’s not a problem.

But if it’s littered with tired smartphone tropes like selfies, social media obsession, ect., ect., then it’s gonna suuuuuuck...

You know what might have helped? If they made a not-phone. As in, it functions exactly like a smart phone, but doesn’t look like a human one.

Just that little bit of distance from the real world object we all have would make it not stick out so drastically.

Same! That is why the fear is real :laugh:.

Ahhhh no the curse of the emoji movie!!!!

• Brohoof 1

I am not even 100% sure that this thing is a smartphone, but even then I feel it's a little bit hypocritical to hear an attitude like that from people who dislike technology in Equestria when the technology had been present I'm G4

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, RDDash said:

I am not even 100% sure that this thing is a smartphone, but even then I feel it's a little bit hypocritical to hear an attitude like that from people who dislike technology in Equestria when the technology had been present I'm G4

It’s not technology that people are irritated about. It’s smart phones specifically. Also in G4 the general rule is that if it looks sufficiently advanced, assume its powered by magic.

But the synopsis says that the magic is gone from the world. So any tech we see is actual, mechanical tech. Not magitek.

And that’s 100% a smartphone. It’s shaped like one, she’s tapping on it, and it has a camera spot on the back.

It’s possible they won’t CALL it a phone. But a phone is exactly what they’re trying to evoke here.

• Brohoof 1

In the absence of magic it would make sense to turn to technology as a substitute, so I agree with the theory that technology is replacing magic in G5.

On the topic of whether technologies such as smartphones should be in Equestria, what is somewhat annoying is that many ponies here are hating on the fact that smartphones and technology exist in Equestria. The reason it is annoying to me is because we have yet to see how they are implemented into the show and therefore to hate on it is unreasonable. Sure, there are reasonable possibilities such as cringy smartphone puns and contrived/arbitrary plot devices, but they remain possibilities and not actualities. That isn't to say that one cannot be skeptical or critical of technology in Equestria though, the point is that one should not hate something without looking at how it is implemented and in it's proper context. As for my stance on technology in Equestria, I'm neutral towards it right now since I have yet to see it in it's full context and how it is implemented.

Also, am I the only one who noticed that Pipp's phone has a golden holder on it? owo

• Brohoof 5

15 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

Also, am I the only one who noticed that Pipp's phone has a golden holder on it? owo

Nope, I pointed that out in the initial post about the screenshots. Looks like pony phones have a hoof-slot so they don’t drop it.

Which is, granted, genius.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

G4 has some rather advanced technology. Motion pictures with sound, hydro electric dams, x-ray machines, electric lights, telephones, lighter than air travel by dirigibles, locomotives, radiation and bio-hazard suits, (Implying atomic and biological sciences) glow-sticks, advanced optics (Twilight's telescope) and more. They even have at least a fictional concept of space travel. Rainbow Dash wears a space suit on Nightmare Night. I would place G4 at a vacuum tube, 1950's technological level. I see technology advancing as only logical if magic has vanished from Equestria.

hqdefault.jpg.7e0f27de4f97f3d716be74242be8554c.jpg

post-23616-0-38787300-1400392150_thumb.png

img-436017-1-557fp.png

• Brohoof 4

On 2021-04-09 at 12:47 PM, TBD said:

So it appeared that there’s smartphone being used here

CB82713D-5189-4633-89D9-CBE360A8B7B7.thumb.jpeg.ebeb6114012085aad2a025aee9c3fa68.jpeg

I honestly think this really out of place for MlP using technology. HOWEVER- according to the plot where it said magic is gone- what do they mean by this? Could it be magic is replaced by technology? What do you think of this? And do you think it’s a good idea to include technology in mlp?

Unrelated, but that looks like a teenage Cadance. She matches her basically in most areas from color scheme to being a pegasus. She even has the golden hooves! :love:

Since magic in Equestria functions as more than just a tool, no. Technology cannot replace magic. Or at least the virtues and abstract values that magic represents. It can substitute for magic at times, but certain abilities that magic has are far beyond what I imagine current Equestrian technology can do.

Moreover, at the end of the day, technology is a tool, not the solution itself, something we often forget now in our own world. :huh:

Friendship is magic, not technology. It has endured countless eons in Equestria since the beginning.

• Brohoof 1

It's certainly has become prevalent in this new generation. Maybe that will become an interesting point in the new gen. And it does certainly seem that technology took the place friendship rightly has! Like it has IRL... :blush:

Do we really KNOW that magic is gone or is that just some theory that's being accepted as fact? Pegasi aren't supposed to be able to fly without magic.

I admit that the phone is a major turnoff for me because I just hate the culture of cell phone addiction, not because I hate technology.

People seem to think you can only have one or the other. I actually think it's interesting to explore a world with both. Where you have more advanced technology and still harness elemental forces or where magic is something still completely unfathomable by science.

Imagine FiM with phones...

p1.png.ac247b5a2ead6cb2a9ea4f86d55d5a95.png

p2.png.7a775085c98a461b4fa018c1b484bd60.png

p3.png.f226dad7849fda474fa02cfef434bf09.png

meanwhile...

bn.thumb.png.c1e36001ae399364ea0cd31db6cf5df0.png

p4.jpg.760fb3f040c7fd842bfef27a0942f84e.jpg

I think such modern technology was the last thing they needed and I fear MLP might lose its charm. Smartphones are just out of place there and ruin the atmosphere. A fantastic magical world where they had their own solutions for many things turning into a modern realism, where the only magic is having the signal on phone. This choice absolutely doesn't sound appealing to me, but time will tell how far they will push it. SVuI915.png.8442fb27f0b6ae7e72c3445b6c63

• Brohoof 2

I'm a software developer for a living, so...I feel like it'd be hypocritical for me to poo-poo technology in general.

I agree that it's all about how it's used; if it's not overdone, then it could be good---or at least unproblematic.