Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Turning a profound moment from the show into a dumb meme

GeffreyDrogon

One thing I really don't like is how this expression made by Fluttershy from the episode A Bird in the Hoof was turned into a dumb meme by people with too much free time:

1000?cb=20120117000454

Why of all things would you turn a profound, emotional moment into a meme? For me, it just feels bad and tarnishes a moment from my childhood I remember. I'm not saying memes in general are bad (I like quite a few myself), but this scene is just too beautiful to vitiate. 

Have any other emotional moments been ruined by being turned into memes?

Can't see the image for some reason, but I'm assuming you mean the one where she's holding Philomena's ashes?

While it's understandable how this was utterly devastating in the moment for Fluttershy, it's difficult to take seriously for anyone already knowing about the Phoenix myth, even more so for the fandom's older majority.

Also this episode was loaded with comedic relief the whole way through, especially in regards to Fluttershy continously failing to help that bird, so I'd argue that the writers set this up to be a humorous moment in post. I'm happy that you found beauty in the original image though.

• Brohoof 1

@GeffreyDrogon

Moved to Sugarcube Corner, as this is where the show is discussed indirectly. Also, I altered this thread’s title to give it proper context.

Finally, the photo you attached doesn’t appear.

• The title was changed to Turning a profound moment from the show into a dumb meme
19 hours ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

@GeffreyDrogon

Moved to Sugarcube Corner, as this is where the show is discussed indirectly. Also, I altered this thread’s title to give it proper context.

Finally, the photo you attached doesn’t appear.

I'll go correct that. Sorry.

21 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Can't see the image for some reason, but I'm assuming you mean the one where she's holding Philomena's ashes?

While it's understandable how this was utterly devastating in the moment for Fluttershy, it's difficult to take seriously for anyone already knowing about the Phoenix myth, even more so for the fandom's older majority.

Also this episode was loaded with comedic relief the whole way through, especially in regards to Fluttershy continously failing to help that bird, so I'd argue that the writers set this up to be a humorous moment in post. I'm happy that you found beauty in the original image though.

It was meant to be a lighthearted, slice-of-life episode. I like that episode because I can easily relate to Fluttershy not understanding what she was getting into and wasting time and resources trying to solve that problem.