Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some people have an internal monologue?

Stardust

I have an internal monologue that won’t shut up. I wish I could switch gears and go into ‘visual’ or ‘concept’ modes from time to time. I’m always arguing with myself, and I know that probably sounds strange, but it’s more common than you’d think.

I remember discussing this in high school and college somewhat. I remember the teachers saying something to the effects of "people think in words, or images or have neither" and me deciding not to get involved in it because from my understanding I think in multiple ways. (If I have read and understood correctly:)

I have a monologue, can think like what they show in the tv show "The Good Doctor", and a few ways that I don't know how to describe, and while that mess is happening in my mind, I'm doing something physically.

I really don't know how to describe it, aside from the "monologue debating myself over what I'm visualizing" when it comes to designing things...I guess I'll have to do some reading on it, I never thought about this before. 

• Brohoof 1

I have an internal monologue, it's nice to have somewhere where I can speak my mind without anyone getting offended. Also I've always wondered this about people who don't have one: How do you know what you're writing makes grammatical sense? I usually say everything in my head to make sure it sounds correct.

I think both in concepts and internal monologue. I don't know why internal monologue seems strange, it's the same thing when you talk to yourself out loud for narration but in your head

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Vefka said:

I think both in concepts and internal monologue. I don't know why internal monologue seems strange, it's the same thing when you talk to yourself out loud for narration but in your head

I honestly didn't know that people had internal monologue, like the closest I can manage is like humming the words, but that's it
(maybe it's a part of my autism but IDK lol)

10 hours ago, The Hawks Simp said:

I honestly didn't know that people had internal monologue, like the closest I can manage is like humming the words, but that's it
(maybe it's a part of my autism but IDK lol)

Imagination abilitie differ a lot from person to person. Apparently a lot of people can't imagine voices/sounds/music in their head and like you sad most they can do is hum it

Like I almost can't imagine faces for some reason and I have a hard time recognizing people irl

I thought everyone had it really, I have internal monologue, concepts and visual to me that is pretty much just what it means to be self aware that and how would you think without it. When I try to remember anything I usually go back to my mind and kind of like I'm speaking to myself on it.

• Brohoof 1

I never really thought about this much, but I guess It really depends what I'm thinking about/doing.

I tend to think with more of a mix. Usually more often with visuals and concepts. If I'm fixing or building something, I really don't think in words during that time- It's hard to explain as a lot of it is muscle memory with visualizing and figuring with math.

If I'm working on a lot of tasks at once, a list, doing something with a lot of direct person to person interaction, or something where I don't want to forget something I may have more of an internal monologue type thing going on. Also, If I'm angry about something there definitely will be some internal monologuing. :mlp_laugh:

On important things/decisions my mind does this rapid "dice rolling" thing where my mind quickly goes through a lot of possible outcome situations like a fast forward video/slideshow in a visual conceptual/logical way. That's the best way I can think to describe it. It sometimes causes anxiety, but usually I end up making the right decision. Over this past year and a half of the pandemic and related BS, some decisions in my life I've made with this process prior to it that weren't "fun" or didn't make me "happy" about them at the time are things I'm REALLY glad about now.

Edited by Cirrus.

I've been talking to myself since I was like 9. My mom thinks its some disease but I do it to keep track of whats going on in my life and is the reason why I'm always so organized and never forget anything. Also the reason behind my creative mind. 

I mostly use words to express my internal monologue, even though it's possibly more efficient to use images or even abstract concepts that make sense to me. My brain isn't very cooperative though and I can't calm it down enough to focus on simpler means of internal expression. I usually have to fight with every contrary thought that rattles through my melon and I wish I could shut that b*tch up. 

For me it depends. If I have to do some deep thinking about complex stuff, like my work and need to come up with a creative solution or something like that I, I do that. I debate arguments from different sides. This helps me to stay more objective instead of just having an idea and staying in the realm of fuzzy, unclear, unprecise ideas. Of course is supported by mindmaps, charts and all the other good stuff.

This has been also always helpful for discussion or even oral exams (at least for me). You can prepare yourself for such things. But there is also a dangerous this can be triggered and doesn't stop anymore. With time I learned to control it though.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually do, but it's not like that inner monologue narrates everything I ever do. In quite a few cases, I just 'feel' things and put it into words later when I'm consciously thinking about them. When I'm on my own, I am always talking to myself in some capacity though, either in my head or out loud, if I'm home alone.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Starforce Glimmer said:

I rarely think in the form of words, it is just pure concepts and sort of emotions.

That happens to me sometimes too but for me that’s normally just with stronger emotions