Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

resolved Been getting a notification of my own character posting in an RP

Courageous Thunder Dash
Go to solution Solved by Jeric,

I assume you're following the thread? If so, I think it makes sense. Personally I haven't even tried the character system, but my first blind guess is, that it happens simply because the character, the author of the post, is different than yourself, and therefore the system notifies you, that someone else have replied. It's like as if you were making these posts from an alternate account.

If it's a glitch I'm not sure, I wouldn't call it a glitch. That is an expected behavior if you think about this. I'd say, that it's something the extension developers have overlooked / didn't think of, or perhaps it's a limitation they were aware of, but couldn't get around that?

Either way, as for me, sadly, how notifications are sent is a completely different area outside my expertise I'm afraid. I don't even have access to any of this to begin with. How the site is displayed - yes, but anything with actual content/database and how things are sent - nope, never had an opportunity to work there. :c

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

To shed some light on this, first you have to understand that the Character System is not stock for the forum software. It is a third party modification to the base software. 

Character accounts are not treated any differently than a unique account with respect to main features of IPB. In some cases character accounts are not tied into many of the main features at all (like warnings and PM). In a few cases the character inherits from the player. The end result of this is that a user can post as another sub account while side stepping many of the issues of managing multiple accounts. One of the most tricky aspects of this is how notifications are handled. Since characters are legitimate accounts, and because notifications are a high level feature, characters can’t bypass your notification preferences in your main account easily. The developers were aware of this and can to the conclusion that it’s an acceptable side effect. IPB also does not usually like when certain core features are “broken” to allow a modification to work. 

That means that you will receive notifications of your characters as if they were a separate account, until the creators of the character system decide to investigate a novel approach to manage ignoring notifications of your character. 

It’s not a bug (a defect that was introduced without being planned or having knowledge of). 

To shed some light on this, first you have to understand that the Character System is not stock for the forum software. It is a third party modification to the base software. 

Character accounts are not treated any differently than a unique account with respect to main features of IPB. In some cases character accounts are not tied into many of the main features at all (like warnings and PM). In a few cases the character inherits from the player. The end result of this is that a user can post as another sub account while side stepping many of the issues of managing multiple accounts. One of the most tricky aspects of this is how notifications are handled. Since characters are legitimate accounts, and because notifications are a high level feature, characters can’t bypass your notification preferences in your main account easily. The developers were aware of this and can to the conclusion that it’s an acceptable side effect. IPB also does not usually like when certain core features are “broken” to allow a modification to work. 

That means that you will receive notifications of your characters as if they were a separate account, until the creators of the character system decide to investigate a novel approach to manage ignoring notifications of your character. 

It’s not a bug (a defect that was introduced without being planned or having knowledge of)

• The topic was locked