Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I enjoy IRC more than Discord

Hat988

Discord has more features, but not all additions are for the overall better. While Discord records more of the history, I always liked the live join-in aspect of IRC. Chats are more ephemeral which better mimics traditional conversation. It creates the experience of being there rather than merely being online. Discord feels more like a noticeboard.

I also liked the simplicity of IRC's interface. You can run it on any pretty much any computer or phone with negligible CPU and network load. Using a web embed or a heavily customised client was up to you.

Discord is heavy and cluttered for what it does, especially the web embed version. Avatars, bots, and lots of pictures wear out as a novelty and distract from the main function of chatting. I get how easy it is to post a video, but you can't rickroll anyone with the previews.

If I go to a website like Bronystate, I can't enter a non-binding username and simply join the chat anymore. I have to sign-up for a Discord account. Ease of use for a drop-in theatre was one of my favourite aspects of that site.

Discord does have voice chat and easy room management. The UI is modern with drag and drop features, and is easy to use. It's a pretty good program they've made. Still, when I want a live text chat room I prefer IRC because it does this singular function better. (For voice chat, I prefer Teamspeak. I think its voice quality is better and, again, lack of extraneous visual flair and features.)

Do you have an opinion?

I've never used IRC. I've used discord for the past 4 years now and I think that while it has its issues, it is better than the alternatives. I think Discord needs a layout upgrade and it's voice quality needs an upgrade too. I hate the file limits though. 

I used IRC a lot back int the day (this was a long time before Discord). I have seen a lot on IRC Servers/Channels.

I really prefer Discord. It has more features and IRC feels dated for me. I'm also really happy to have a integrated voice chat.

But I'm also feeling nostalgic about IRC. For example: I miss /hop

• Brohoof 1