Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Already started Harry Potter and regarding the relationship to the author

PCutter

Yeah the Sorcerer's Stone. Will start the others.

On the side, will reading this entire series make me a Rowling apologist?

Now let me continue to see what all the hype WAS about at the time HP was still a thing.

(edited)

I believe that when you are as popular of a writer as she is that you really should just refrain from partaking in anything political. That if you want to state anything it is dividing the fanbase perhaps even having people stop being your fans. While artists have often been political they've been more subtle about it. The books are great really, she is a great writer no doubt about that but whether you'll be a Rowling apologist or not I doubt that. In fact I would allow my opinion on the artist or writer in this case to be seperate to what you think of any of her public statements. Whenever artists or bands decide to make statements that are controversial I find myself thinking less of them. Of course respecting their right to free speech and freedom of association, yet they should remember that their fanbases are often as diverse as you can imagine. So when they do that they're always disenfranchising someone by it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

I hope you enjoy the books, as they are great, and not just for their target audience. I read them when I was a teenager and, honestly, I don't think they made me anyone's apologist. I didn't think much about the author when I read them - just enjoyed the story. Now, more than 10 years after I finished them I don't have urges to retcon any characters or anything like that, so this Rowling's habit is not contagious.

Spoiler

By the way, I still find it funny that they decided to change the title of the first book for the US.

While writers can be very influential/inspirational, I don't think fiction writers tend to carry the same weight as those creating manifestos.

I'm thankful she wrote the books. I enjoyed them and the subsequent movies. We had a rule in our house that you had to read it before you watched it. I dressed up as Harry Potter one year for Halloween, I'd carve wands and have magical battles with my cousins. But ultimately I'm not concerned with what the author has to say outside of the entertainment they've provided.

All that being said, I completely understand the issues that occur when attempts are made to alter or add onto existing canon.

Is this about her comments or some other "outrage" now? I thought it was about the former but after reading some of the replies I'm thinking the latter?

I've "perused" the series and I still don't get the hype, but that's just me.

I’ve read the series and liked them quite a lot. I like some of the books more than others because Rowling got way too drawn out toward the later books. At that point I guess the publishers were scared to death to suggest editing anything. I particularly liked the earlier books in the series, then came Order of the Phoenix which was a bit of a chore, but the series picked up a little more after that. The finale had a fairly critical error at a crucial plot point, and that didn’t do it any favors. But overall it’s a worthwhile series to embark on.

I don’t care about some meaningless nonsense she may have muttered, deliberately taken out of context and blown up in the press. That’s just more sensationalism and BS from people who make a living off it. If you want to enjoy the books, read the books.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, SharpWit said:

While writers can be very influential/inspirational, I don't think fiction writers tend to carry the same weight as those creating manifestos.

I'm thankful she wrote the books. I enjoyed them and the subsequent movies. We had a rule in our house that you had to read it before you watched it. I dressed up as Harry Potter one year for Halloween, I'd carve wands and have magical battles with my cousins. But ultimately I'm not concerned with what the author has to say outside of the entertainment they've provided.

All that being said, I completely understand the issues that occur when attempts are made to alter or add onto existing canon.

Well how was I supposed to know I'd like it? This decision to watch and then read the series in that order just came out of the blue. Nobody else told me to start getting into it. It just happened. How was I supposed to care about all of that drama? Even after I finished the movies and started reading just now.

Harry Potter has no relation with the questionable nature of J.K.'s recent Twitter crusades, no.

They're great books, I grew up on them and still love them for all their flaws, and it is possible to enjoy them keeping in mind the author is a trashcan.

• Brohoof 1

Is it quite easy to seperate an author's work from the author themselves. I definitely recommend doing that in this case, because Rowling herself is an asshat and a half, but the Potter series is worth likely worth delving into.

(edited)

If you’re enjoying the books go ahead and keep reading them. I don’t agree with a lot of Rowling’s views, but I still respect her as a writer and love the wizarding world she created, and for the huge amount she's done for charity.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Harry Potter is amazing! It literally takes me to another world and I think JK Rowling and her wizarding world did an amazing job giving the authentic feelings from either you're watching the movies or reading it.  I love HP :wub:! Hope you enjoy the rest of the series though and don't listen to what the media said. For me personality, I don't hate her or have anything against her or her opinions. But it's also okay to respect her work too.  What I always say is, you don't have to hate her to disagree with her.  

• Brohoof 1

Looking at the people's post above

@Fluttershyfan94@Kyoshi @Oleks @SharpWit@Annie @Sonic Shimmer @TBD

My response to @PCutter is simply this:

Like so many people are saying above, you can enjoy what the author written and not have to swept up with their controversials acts outside the books.

The same thing applies to what happened after John Lasseter of Pixar was apparently let go due to sexual misconduct. Just because of what he did that doesn't mean I have to hate the Pixar's films, especially the ones he directly worked on like the first 2 Toy Story films and the first 2 Car films. I love or at least okayed all the Pixar films, even the ones the fan base can't stand like Cars 2. Even when Pixar's writing is at it's worst, the animation and entertainment quality is still enjoyable, in my opinion.

So keep enjoying those Harry Potter books

• Brohoof 3