Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Male character with the most development.

CastletonSnob

Male MLP characters don't get nearly as much development or focus as the female characters. But, a few have gotten a decent amount.

In your opinion, which male MLP character got the most development?

• Brohoof 1

I'll go with Big Mac. It's implied constantly throughout the series that there's more to him than just a stoic hard worker who says, "Eeyup.", all the time. They even devote an entire episode to explaining why he's like that.

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I'll go with Big Mac. It's implied constantly throughout the series that there's more to him than just a stoic hard worker who says, "Eeyup.", all the time. They even devote an entire episode to explaining why he's like that.

Considering he's been a part of the show since the very first episode objectively speaking yes he had a lot more to show for it.

Still we can't overlook the development of characters like Spike, Thorax, and Shining Armor

It's Big Mac, he was the only one that was fairly consistent(or even acknowledged) and wasn't dragged down by stupid bullshit like 95% of all the other arcs in the show

• Brohoof 4

41 minutes ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

I was gonna say Shining, but I wish we had more backstory on him, so I'll jump on it and say Big Mac, since we actually saw him express his feelings in Brotherhooves Social. 

I don't see how Shining Armor got any development. He doesn't get a focus episode about him dealing with being a dad. We don't see how he became Captain of the Royal Guard. We don't even see how he and Cadance got together. (In the show, I mean. I don't give a shit about the comics).

• Brohoof 1

It would mainly be a tie between Big Mac, Discord, Spike and surprisingly Thorax. But if I had to choose between those 4 then I would have to go with Big Mac. Out of all the male characters that gained development, Big Mac without doubt had the most consistent development with Thorax being in the 2nd place. Discord and Spike seem to backtrack on their character development here and there for the sake branding it seems (At least that's how I see it).

• Brohoof 2

Echoing the others and saying Big Mac, too. For a large chunk of the first few seasons, he barely said anything other than "eeyup" and an occasional "nope." While the gag's fun on their own, WildBrain decision to not expand his vocabulary beyond a few of episodes in the first two seasons gets tiresome. Once he became comfortable talking to Sugar Belle, he began to talk more as a whole, demonstrating more self-assurance. Also, because he loves and trusts her, he's unafraid to open himself up to her, as she's an excellent listener.

Outside of him, Discord and Spike hold those medals.

1. Previously establishing himself as one of the fiercest villains in all of Equestria, once Discord was freed from his stone prison, he underwent a massive transformation in character. Even though Season 4 focused a lot of time on the Mane Six obtaining items to unlock the chest, Discord's character development was its central arc. Now, did he reform in Keep Calm? Of course! The fact that he was hurting Fluttershy and damaging her trust for him really pinged an emotion he never had before. But for obvious reasons, the rest of her friends, especially Twilight, didn't like him. And during Princess Twilight and Three's a Crowd, he did a fine job proving their points. That arc sprinted ahead when Tirek tricked him into joining him and then had his magic stolen in front of Fluttershy moments after betraying them. The rest of the show decelerated Discord's growth, but you had bits of it throughout, including forming a bond with Spike and Big Mac (and saving the latter's relationship w/ Sugar) and coming up with a (boneheaded) plan to convince Twilight that's she's capable to lead Equestria on her own.
  2. Spike was the second lead character introduced, and during the first five seasons, he lacked direction. But ever since Princess Spike aired, WildBrain changed his character's trajectory for the better.
    1. After abandoning his identity in Season 2, he was reintroduced to his kind, discovered that there's more to dragondom outside of the bullies, formed a close friendship with Ember, and established a relationship between Equestria and the Dragon Lands.
    2. When no one dared to trust a changeling, he fought back against his own prejudices, befriended Thorax, and defended the changeling's honor at risk of his own celebrity. This friendship proved pivotal, as Thorax's self-confidence grew, showed signs of transformation, and the Changeling Kingdom rebelled against Chrysalis.
    3. After Twilight et al opened her new School of Friendship, Spike molted and grew wings.
    4. Thanks to his newfound understanding of dragon culture and biology, he saved an entire generation of baby dragons from freezing to death within their shells.
    5. For several years, he held an unrequited crush on Rarity. After meeting and befriending Gabby, his longtime focus on his crush diminished.
    6. At the end of the series, Twilight created a brand-new position, promoting Spike as her Royal Advisor and Friendship Ambassador. Other than Twilight's teachings and ruling of Equestria, Spike's job to maintain friendships and relationships between multiple territories is the most important of the entire Mane cast, a role he happily accepted and excelled at.
  • Brohoof 1

I would say:

• Big Mac:  he grew as a brother,  made friends,  stood his ground,  found love,  got married and a few other things
  • Discord:  he went from god, lost,  reformed,  made friends,  yes he fell down a few times but he grew from them.
  • Spike: found his own legs,  grew as a soul,  would put out his own voice on matters,  stood by his friends/family.

I would say Discord here followed by BigMac, Thorax and Spike.

In contrast to many others I don't his reformation is contained in one episode, I see it more like a arch which goes not only to ending of season 4 but actually going to the end of season 9. And changes quite a lot gradually. Considering his one and biggest flaw (his ego) is almost infinite it makes a lot of sense to take a long time.

For Big Mac except this dialog with AJ in (Apple bucking season) for al ong time he didn't say much, but this changed and he was fleshed out/developed more.

Thorax comes pretty late into the show (season 6), but got definitely good development for this short time/episodes he was there.

Spike - the most underrated character in the show - has more than enough development, even if in the beginning it was not clear and the writers had apparently not a good idea where to go with him (my opinion). But went a long way and earned his place.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...