Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Finale to My Little Pony Comics, and Crossover miniseries between G4 and G1 announced

Megas

tony fleecs was talking about pushing to get 100 issues, back when there were still only about 84 out.
i'm thrilled both that they pushed to 100, and past it as well.

this doesn't look particularly good to me, nor does it especially appeal to me, but i bet they do something fun with it.

hopefully gen 5 gets comics too.  

(edited)

It's actually happening isn't it... oh man. :x

Guess the ride IS coming to a close.

Ugh I'm thinking of all the things I wanted to see.

Shadow Lock meeting Stygian after all that happened.

Swift Foot having to team up against the Thracians with her new friends the Young 6.

We're never really gonna see that.

Edited by Toastypk

While I wasn’t a fan of IDW’s main comics for FIM (I quit after Siege of the Crystal Empire), it’s really impressive how they were able to churn out comics for almost nine years.

As for Generations, we’ll see what happens.

• Brohoof 1

So let me get this straight. No more Friendship is Magic already and Radiant Hope is gone for good. 

d6wdg5s-bffe2fb9-a8d5-4af2-94f7-e3c24586

Not even doing what I usually do with the, "Yeah, this sucks, but I'm looking at things objectively remark.". No. This just sucks. :(

All good things must come to an end sooner or later. That being said, what better way to end the comics and sunset G4 of My Little Pony as whole than a crossover with its over most well-known generation: G1!

Yeah, we still got G5 to look forward to with the movie this fall and the series starting in 2022, but if plans for official G5 comics do come to fruition, there's always the possibility of G5 crossing over with G4 somehow.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not surprised that they have decided to end the generation four comics now. After all, generation five is coming and Hasbro wants that to be given the utmost of focus. Stopping at #102 is odd but I suppose IDW had to given their benefactors in this case wanted it to be. At least there is a conclusion instead of say, leaving it open-ended and fans wondering what might have been.

As for this 'Generations' series... I already love the concept. It gives the original generation a chance to be in the spotlight and the obvious comparisons are sure to be both memorable and questionable.

• Brohoof 1

IDW comics had an good run, and delivered a couple of real gems. I hope they'll have a great ending.

As for the crossover, I've always wanted to see an April Fools' Day episode of FiM where G4 ponies would have G1 designs or meet G1 characters. Now it's kinda happening, so I'm thrilled.

• Brohoof 1

I'm now starting to worry that this means that neither the season 10 arc, let alone the whole comic series will have a very satisfying ending. 

It looks like season 10 has been rushed or cut to fit this cancellation which is disheartening. But worse still I'm sure the writers would have liked to have had their own smaller version of a finale like The Last Problem. They have been writing this series for close to a decade and I think that having their own special ending is more than deserved.

The characters and stories in the comics diverge a fair amount from the show and I actually prefer a lot of the characterisation choices and dynamics that the comics feature. They're essentially different characters to a point and if their story ends on a 'meh' note then that's just a loss.

(edited)

Well, to be honest, I'm familiar with the FiM comics ever since I got into the show in 2013(a year after the comics came out), but I never read any of the comics at all because 1. I'm not a comic book guy and 2. I'm just focusing on the animated TV series itself. Therefore, I do acknowledge that they exist, but I couldn't care less about it.

With that being said, when hearing about the announcement that the FiM comics is coming to an end, it's a shame, but at the same time I'm not surprised since Generation 5 is just right around the corner and Hasbro have to focus on that. So, it is to be expected.

I understand that the fans were disappointed, but you know what? As the old saying goes: all good things must come to an end. MLP G4 comics is no different. Lasting for over 9 years is a good run in of itself. Similar to FiM in which that show lasted for 9 seasons all thanks to the fans keeping the show alive. That's why we got a whole bunch of MLP G4 content for the past decade like the comics, Equestria Girls, 2017 film, Rainbow Roadtrip, YouTube shorts, and for better or for worse, Pony Life.

Even though MLP G4 may be 'over'(which I'll get to later), but I'm glad that the comics was able to stick around for long and continued the storyline after Season 9. I wish the MLP IDW comic crew the best of luck on their future projects.

As for MLP Generations comics? That is very cool to see MLP G1 characters crossed over with the Main 6 from G4 officially because the fans love doing that for years, both art and fan fiction. You know, it's funny because Lauren Faust originally wanted to have G1 characters during the development of FiM back in 2008, but Hasbro told her 'no' because they don't own the rights to the names anymore. I guess now, 10 years later, Hasbro decided to bring them back for the franchise's 35th anniversary all thanks to their partnership with Basic Fun. Which, I find that hilarious and ironic, but whatever. Though, it's nice that the comics were going to extend the life of G4 after G5 came out. It does go to show that G4 meant a lot to people.

On a side note, it would be funny if they comics makes some G3 references and cameos. I mean, freaking G3 characters appeared in FiM, so why not? Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Lauren Faust heard about the announcement and geeking out on the inside seeing as her dream finally come true.

Overall, I'm grateful for the MLP comics was able to continue to the legacy of G4 for 9 years. I hope it ended with a bang instead of a whimper.

To quote Tom from Toonami: Until we meet again, stay gold. bang.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
19 minutes ago, JMTV99 said:

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Lauren Faust heard about the announcement and geeking out on the inside seeing as her dream finally come true.

She did! She responded to it on her Twitter here: 

Edited by Rainy Day
  • Brohoof 1

sad to see it ending but it did have a long run, guess it's a good time as any to catch up on the comics. also as someone that also loves g1, i'm actually pretty excited for the miniseries lol.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2022-04-06 at 8:19 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Can someone explain me…

Reveal hidden contents

WHO THE HELL HAD SEX WITH THESE TWO :eww:?

image.png.2d9dcd6f6f2c95222a395ea1c34aa151.png

Hot take here, but they are my favourite characters in that film.  At the very least, I find them more entertaining than the ponies. 

Hmmm...maybe it's high time I rewatch that movie.  It's possible it would make a better point of comparison to ANG than anything from FiM for me (since there's no contest as far as I'm concerned).  I'd probably at least end up liking the mane cast of ANG more, but I'd also probably take the witches of the G1 movie over that whiny manchild of a villain in ANG.  I seem to recall that movie's plot has actual stakes too.  

I haven't actually read these comics as of yet, so I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing those characters up, but suffice to say, I haven't forgotten them.