Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do the MLP:FiM Comics Have to End So Soon?

Misty Shadow

We all knew this was going to happen eventually, but why now? Jeremy Whitley spoke like he had a pretty big story planned out for Season 10...and just like that, it's over? :mlp_wat: There can't be that big of a rush to start promoting G5 with such a low-selling form of media like comic books, could this have something to do with IDW's declining finances? Jeremy's comments were made before CHINA IS *YAY*!, which helped put the American comic book industry in worse shape than ever. Could they have had to rush an ending for monetary issues? :huh:  

• Brohoof 1

I feel like Hasbro wanted them to end G4 because G5 is coming up. G5 wasn't even a thing yet when Season 10 started.

Didn't they show they were going to visit Celaeno's home world? In one of those initial pages? I don't think they did that. Maybe it WAS something abrupt.

• Brohoof 3

I'm quite certain that it is just to simply divert more focus to G5. I can see from their point of view that having two differing parts of the same IP is more trouble than it's worth even though I dont agree.

The state of the comics industry is absolutely a factor as well but I think Hasbro is making a huge mistake by completely getting rid of G4 content.

• Brohoof 4

If it's Hasbro's fault, then absolutely screw them for doing that. Just because there's a new Gen that at the moment has had no promotion and doesn't look good at all, does not mean that you can just get rid of your legacy. What a selfish, money-hungry dick move.

You guys are being silly. 
this isn't "so soon".
this is massively extended.  

they would have been justified in ending it with the show, but instead, the main series is going 14+ months after the end of the show, and they just announced issues of a gen1/gen4 crossover, extending the comics another 5 months.  
the way the timing works out, it seems we will get the first gen 5 content (the movie) months before the last gen 4 comic.  

why are you so angsty about things that are already such gifts?  that sounds exhausting.  
do you remember at the start of season 3, we knew that that season only had 13 episodes, and everyone was afraid it was the last season?  
we are incredibly fortunate the show and comic have gone on this long.  

• Brohoof 4

I get the feeling Hasbro’s the one calling it quits. For how half baked the main S10 arc is, a lot of it feels like it was cut short and rushed. Like AJ’s adventure spans 4 issues, but then Pinkie and Shy are 2, Rarity’s is the annual and RD’s supposedly a single comic? None of it adds up.

I think it’s most likely due to both declining sales of the main comics and G5 coming on the horizon. On one hand I can understand because their major multi-issue adventure arcs have been pretty bad ever since Reflections. On the other though their smaller issues I usually really enjoy and they finally started doing stuff I wanted to see for a while(A good EQG comic with March Radness, crossovers with both G1 MLP and Transformers)

• Brohoof 4

27 minutes ago, weesh said:

this isn't "so soon".

they would have been justified in ending it with the show, but instead, the main series is going 14+ months after the end of the show, and they just announced issues of a gen1/gen4 crossover, extending the comics another 5 months.  
the way the timing works out, it seems we will get the first gen 5 content (the movie) months before the last gen 4 comic.  

why are you so angsty about things that are already such gifts?  that sounds exhausting.  
do you remember at the start of season 3, we knew that that season only had 13 episodes, and everyone was afraid it was the last season?  

You make a very good point! I think there is far too much cynicism in the fanbase when it comes to stuff like this. 

I didn't think the comics would go on forever but I hoped it would last a few more years at least. I think it's important to recognize that this is a whole other 'ending' for G4 and I think it deserves a bit more attention. I doubt the G1 crossover will be canon (though I'd be more than happy to eat those words) so this might be the last official story with the mane six we'll ever get. 

We are fortunate for everything we got but I think it's still sad to see it end; perhaps for good.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, weesh said:

this isn't "so soon".

Keep in mind that these gifts are things that we pay for. I am not ungrateful, I have not pirated one single issue of the comics in my seven years of reading the series. I have legally purchased every single part of the main series and have legitimate concerns in paying for something that was rushed. This goes far beyond just comics, this is also a big issue with video games right now, people getting sick of paying for rushed and incomplete products, BUT THAT IS A WHOLE 'NOTHER TOPIC. This is just a speculation topic, comic fans like me have legitimate concerns about parts of the story that won't/very likely won't get a proper conclusion, that's just the way it is. 

• Brohoof 2

As someone who was never into the MLP comics at all, I'm guessing that Hasbro want to focus on G5 and put G4 to rest. Which, it's to be expected.

49 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

*sign* joy, more end of ponies :sunny:

image.thumb.png.6b2fddd8026b6a8fcba05114eaa15791.png

Aww, it's okay, Twiley. (hugs).

9 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

I think Hasbro is making a huge mistake by completely getting rid of G4 content.

9 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

If it's Hasbro's fault, then absolutely screw them for doing that. Just because there's a new Gen that at the moment has had no promotion and doesn't look good at all, does not mean that you can just get rid of your legacy. What a selfish, money-hungry dick move.

Then again, I blamed Hasbro for a lot of things like getting the rid of The Hub to Discovery, corporate meddling in FiM and not giving the writers enough creative freedom down to the point they're shilling themselves up the ass like Twilicorn, Equestria Girls, and the Friendship School, cease and desisting fan content like Fighting is Magic and Button Mash Adventures, taking down reaction videos, and not getting enough attention to other franchises that isn't MLP and Transformers like Littlest Pet Shop, Hanazuki Full of Treasures, Pound Puppies, and Family Game Night.

I understand that they're a corporation and they are business of making money, and of course, MLP has always been a toy commercial, but that doesn't mean you have to get rid of everything G4 related so you can focus on G5, which from the looks of it, it feels very underwhelming.

4 hours ago, weesh said:

Yeah, you do bring up a fair point. FiM was originally supposed to end after 65 episodes due airing in reruns and syndication. But thanks to the fans, it was able to have 222 episodes of FiM.

I agree that we should be grateful that FiM was able to stick around for so long.

3 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

You make a very good point! I think there is far too much cynicism in the fanbase when it comes to stuff like this. 

True. I could said the same thing with other fanbases, but yeah, I really freaking hate when most bronies taking a show about pastel colored horses WAY too seriously down to the point they're not having fun with it anymore. I mean, it's one thing to criticize the writing of the show and characterizations (and I had some major problems with it), but come on.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Keep in mind that these gifts are things that we pay for. I am not ungrateful, I have not pirated one single issue of the comics in my seven years of reading the series. I have legally purchased every single part of the main series and have legitimate concerns in paying for something that was rushed. This goes far beyond just comics, this is also a big issue with video games right now, people getting sick of paying for rushed and incomplete products, BUT THAT IS A WHOLE 'NOTHER TOPIC. This is just a speculation topic, comic fans like me have legitimate concerns about parts of the story that won't/very likely won't get a proper conclusion, that's just the way it is. 

I wanted to wait until they put out the compilation packs to buy them. That's what I did with the Legends of Magic comics.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

I wanted to wait until they put out the compilation packs to buy them. That's what I did with the Legends of Magic comics.

I'm hoping they put out a box set collection now that there wont be any more, I'm still missing a few physical copies and they don't print the old books anymore :adorkable:

(edited)

Well, they did say this:

“Starting with My Little Pony: Generations — an absolutely amazing crossover brought to life by the fabulous team of Casey Gilly and Michela Cacciatore, bringing old classics and new favorites together at last — we have many more adventures in store.”

Which sounds like they just might be planning more side comics along the lines of "Friends Forever" or "Nightmare Knights", or more crossovers. That and/or leaving their options open for resuming the main series in the future if things go well for them (or if something goes wrong with G5 ).

Edited by HedonismBot

With generation five set to begin in several months, Hasbro wants to focus all their efforts on promoting it. Okay, they actually need to do some promoting but you get the idea here. This means that anything from generation four has to come to an end immediately because it doesn't fit in with what the company is striving to do. We knew this was going to happen for quite some time given the change in just about everything. Does it make it easy for us? Not at all.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, and by the way, Season 10 is only fourteen episodes (the issues are called episodes to play along with the theme) long. That would make it the second shortest season of the entire show, only just barely surpassed in brevity by Season 3. Pretty sure this is coming to an end sooner than it should. :maud:

On 2021-06-24 at 3:52 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

Oh, and by the way, Season 10 is only fourteen episodes (the issues are called episodes to play along with the theme) long. That would make it the second shortest season of the entire show, only just barely surpassed in brevity by Season 3. Pretty sure this is coming to an end sooner than it should. :maud:

Yeah, ending on a random “Episode 14” rather than the typical 13 or 26 is the biggest reason why I think it got cancelled instead getting a natural ending 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was expected. Hasbro is focusing all their energy on G5 and they want to move on from G4 despite of the huge run they have had with it. I agree that they should have done more focus on the comics and it was too aprupt. 

Thing is there are not completely abandoning g4. So I can't understand that argument. It look like right after season 10 ends they are releasing a G1 and g4 crossover series called generations. My guess is just stagnating or declining subscription numbers.

The amount of comics we did get is actually a lot, but I can understand being sad over G4 officially ending on then horizon. As for why they decided to end it now, it could definitely be due to the disappointment that is the season 10 comics. This could have led to poor sales, causing IDW to close up shop on the series earlier than they originally intended. Plus, I've heard that IDW isn't really doing the best financially, which could definitely be a factor as well.

Spoiler

Who knows, maybe we will get more G4 media due to G5 taking place in the same universe. 

(edited)
On 2021-07-10 at 2:31 PM, Landi said:

The amount of comics we did get is actually a lot, but I can understand being sad over G4 officially ending on then horizon. As for why they decided to end it now, it could definitely be due to the disappointment that is the season 10 comics. This could have led to poor sales, causing IDW to close up shop on the series earlier than they originally intended. Plus, I've heard that IDW isn't really doing the best financially, which could definitely be a factor as well.

Reveal hidden contents

Who knows, maybe we will get more G4 media due to G5 taking place in the same universe. 

I've heard it said that the COVID-19 pandemic screwed with the comic industry in general. IDW might not have the resources to maintain G4 and G5 comic series at the same time, even if they could theoretically enjoy respectable sales for both of them. We'll see what happens as things return to normal.

One way or another, with the fandom being what it is, one would think it would make no sense to simply toss G4 aside like last year's iPhone.

Edited by HedonismBot

36 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

I've heard it said that the COVID-19 pandemic screwed with the comic industry in general. IDW might not have the resources to maintain G4 and G5 comic series at the same time, even if they could theoretically enjoy respectable sales for both of them. We'll see what happens as things return to normal.

One way or another, with the fandom being what it is, one would think it would make no sense to simply toss G4 aside like last year's iPhone.

Yeah, I've heard that the whole comic book industry is pretty askew right now for a few reasons, including what you mentioned. Even though I never was as in to them as I was with the show, it would be interesting to see some form of MLP comics to be revived some point in the future; hopefully with better stories than the the season ten arch stories.